Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snabbu
Brilliant as always thank you sir.
Cheers, snabbu.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thank you for an as usual amazing report ^

Question--is Dubai airport open during the day or only night? I've never seen a trip report from you that didn't have a departure in the middle of the night! lol

I love the hound in the pic...it's like he's looking for where to check in
​​​​​​​
Thanks, enviroian. 3am seems to be rush hour for DXB. As redct said above, it seems to be due to optimal scheduling for connections and to avoid the hottest part of the day with the desert climate here. I like to travel at night too, to maximise my trip time and minimise how much leave I need to take.
Originally Posted by tennislover9
Gray, dark and cold places. Great TR as always.
​​​​​​​
Thank you, tennislover9. With no real 'winter' weather here in Dubai its great to indulge in some cold weather if only for a few days.
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Another great TR - thanks! I also like your list of previous ones - useful when I'm planning a holiday to some of the less out of the way locations...
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, Tocsin. I like to peruse other peoples TR's too for holiday tips and ideas.
Originally Posted by lb8001
Another very fun and educational TR ( I now know stuff about Transnistria��) with your typical great photos. The ones of the lighthouse were particularly awesome!

I would have joined Offerendum and checked in with the dog.
​​​​​​​
Thanks, lb8001. Yes, the lighthouse at the end of the jetty in the early morning was quite a sight, especially with the calm over the Black Sea.
Originally Posted by farbster
Funny, I was wondering the same thing as Enviroian. All of your trips leave in the middle of the night!

My family was last in Chisinau back when it was Kishinev. There was a pogrom in 1906 and my father's grandfather hauled ... out of there to come to Baltimore!

I have a college friend that now lives in Kiev. He said all of the jokes that we used to tell about people from Mississippi, Alabama, or West Virginia are told by Europeans about Moldova.

Great report as always. Did you have difficulty using the drone? Were the police looking for you?
Thank you, farbster. 1906 would have been a good time to escape Moldova to the US, before the Russian Revolution and eventual Soviet takeover. Luckily no issues with the drone, although I tried to be discrete and not be too obvious.
Originally Posted by ss278
After reading your fabulous reports for years I have decided that in my next life I am coming back as you.
​​​​​​​
Haha! Although I have to work a day job in order to take all these trips.
Originally Posted by 757
As always, another great report and photos of your most recent trip! I'm amazed how high your drone can get - love the photos over the water and the harbor in Odessa. Thank you for sharing!
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, 757. Yes, the drone is just like a very tall tripod, great for getting the birds-eye perspective on things.
Originally Posted by frankmu
Thank you for the wonderful report! Your food pictures are always amazing!
​​​​​​​
Thanks, frankmu. Yes, the food was pretty tasty, and so very reasonably priced too.
Originally Posted by redct
There are flights that leave from DXB at all hours, but there are lots of night/early morning flights for two reasons. First, for locations in GMT-ish timezones, middle of the night departures equal early morning arrivals. For example EK7 from DXB-LHR leaves at 0230 and arrives at 0705 which is good for daytime connections or those arriving. Second, it's really hot in the middle of the day which causes means thinner air. The Emirates stable of A380s shouldn't have a problem if it gets upward of 40şC, but some of the smaller planes (like the E190 in this post) may.
​​​​​​​
Another advantage for all the EK bus transfers to remote gates too. It wouldn't be very pleasant queuing up to climb the stairs to the plane in the midday heat in summer!
Old May 22, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
That hotel in Chisinau doesn't look bad, I stayed at a grim Best Western for a night before moving into an airbnb on Pushkin Street in the center that was an experience...no time to see the wineries outside of Chisinau and sushi instead of mamaliga and placinta!?
Old May 23, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
That hotel in Chisinau doesn't look bad, I stayed at a grim Best Western for a night before moving into an airbnb on Pushkin Street in the center that was an experience...no time to see the wineries outside of Chisinau and sushi instead of mamaliga and placinta!?
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, looked and felt brand new and can't have been more than a few months old. I looked at visiting the wineries but figured it would be more of a summer thing to do. I could only spare three days for the trip too so opted to press on to Tirapsol and Odessa instead.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanielW
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, looked and felt brand new and can't have been more than a few months old. I looked at visiting the wineries but figured it would be more of a summer thing to do. I could only spare three days for the trip too so opted to press on to Tirapsol and Odessa instead.
The draw of the wineries is more the underground tunnels and stored bottles, there are miles and miles of tunnels. It's pretty cool. Glad to see something new opened in Chisinau, they could use it haha.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Very interesting. Odessa and the Potiemkin staircase are in my list of 'places to see before I die' (Don't ask me why). It looks like a place with interesting baroque architecture.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by londonfog
Very interesting. Odessa and the Potiemkin staircase are in my list of 'places to see before I die' (Don't ask me why). It looks like a place with interesting baroque architecture.
adjust your expectations. The steps are a huge let down and Odessa in general isn't great. The sea is filthy and while there is some interesting architecture it's run down.
Old May 23, 2018, 4:32 pm

Sorry to sound morbid but terrible things happened in Transistria during the war in the 40s'. Very interesting. Thanks.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonfog
Thanks, londonfog. Yes, I was quite surprised with the architecture. I was expecting a something a little more drab and grey but was pleasantly surprised.
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Sorry to sound morbid but terrible things happened in Transistria during the war in the 40s'. Very interesting. Thanks.
Thank you, [/b]Brettee[/b]. Yes, quite a horrific time for Europe.
https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article...uleId=10005472
Old May 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DanielW
Enjoying a cheese platter I had pre-ordered for $6.

I know I'm particularly fussy about my in-flight cheese, but

Seriously though, great report! Things look much more organized on the marshrutki now...they were all in an open lot full of chaos when I went
Old May 31, 2018, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I know I'm particularly fussy about my in-flight cheese, but

Seriously though, great report! Things look much more organized on the marshrutki now...they were all in an open lot full of chaos when I went
Definitely a LCC Cheese plate.

Yes, the marshrutki were well sorted. They even have the weekly departure schedule online now too.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
It's a nice looking cheese plate!
great TR as always - thank you!
the pear pizza is a bit popular as a white pizza - I'm sure it's also available in Dubai! I was impressed with the Japanese restaurant in Moldova. Are there a lot of Asian businesses and ex-pats there?
years ago I read Tennis with the Moldovans, written by the Irish comic who traveled around Ireland with a fridge. Want to say his name is Tony Hawke.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
It's a nice looking cheese plate!
great TR as always - thank you!
the pear pizza is a bit popular as a white pizza - I'm sure it's also available in Dubai! I was impressed with the Japanese restaurant in Moldova. Are there a lot of Asian businesses and ex-pats there?
years ago I read Tennis with the Moldovans, written by the Irish comic who traveled around Ireland with a fridge. Want to say his name is Tony Hawke.
Thanks, gaobest. I've had banana on a pizza before but I guess I'll have to try pear now too. I saw a Japanese guy at the restaurant in Chisinau who seemed to be the owner/manager but all the other staff and patrons appeared to be Moldovans.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Fantastic TR, DanielW! I have been to Odessa a few times, but never knew the insights of the city as you so nicely described them all here! UIA really is a decent little airline. I have enjoyed flying them before in E. Europe. Too bad you were not able to visit the Arkadia area outside of downtown. They have really improved that with nice restaurants, shops and beautiful views of the Black Sea.

I had not known of the UNO Design Hotel before. I will have to try it out when I go back to Odessa in August!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
Fantastic TR, DanielW! I have been to Odessa a few times, but never knew the insights of the city as you so nicely described them all here! UIA really is a decent little airline. I have enjoyed flying them before in E. Europe. Too bad you were not able to visit the Arkadia area outside of downtown. They have really improved that with nice restaurants, shops and beautiful views of the Black Sea.

I had not known of the UNO Design Hotel before. I will have to try it out when I go back to Odessa in August!
Thank you, econometrics. Yes, Odessa is a lovely European city, especially with its location on the Black Sea. Would love to head back for a longer visit in summer, and see the Arkadia area and other things I missed.
econometrics likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:22 am

Fascinating as always. It is such a pleasure to read your reports DanielW!

From your pictures, the Black Sea really deserves its name!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.