Wiki Posts
Search

Viaje a Vienna via DL/AF/KL Y

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone and welcome to my sixth trip report. You may remember me from my other trip reports:
[FIXED] A Birthday Trip to Remember: Calgary via AC/AA in Y/Y+
A 5-Day Cali Jaunt via WN Y
Flying Solo: A Broke College Student Takes the UAE via DL/KL/AF Y
Austin, TX via UA/AA Basic (oh no!) Y
D.C. on a Dime: The Nation's Capital via UA Basic Y+ (Seriously!)
MAXimum Chicagoan (Mis)adventures via WN Y

If not, welcome! My name is Jeremy and I’m a freshman at Arizona State University.

Introduction
Picture me in my senior year of high school. It was International Baccalaureate exam season, stress was running at an all-time high, and I had just finished the hardest of my exams. Cue an e-mail alert about $440 flights from LAX to Vienna. Hell yeah! I booked it, much to the anger of my friends around me (they’re just jealous, I think…). Anyways, let’s get on with it. Also, pardon my tardiness on this report. Unfortunately, my professors seem to think I don’t need any free time.

In this trip report:
I. DL5710 PHX – LAX // Embraer E-175 // Y
II. 8 hours in LAX
III. Korean Air Lounge @ TBIT LAX Review
IV. AF65 LAX – CDG // Airbus A380 // Y
V. AF1238 CDG – VIE // Airbus A321 // Y
VI. Vienna, Austria
VII. KL1838 VIE – AMS // Boeing 737-700 // Y
VIII. KL605 AMS – SFO // Boeing 787-9 // Y
IX. Delta SkyClub @ SFO Review
X. DL4919 SFO – LAX // Embraer E-175 // Y
XI. DL5711 LAX – PHX // Embraer E-175 // Y

Since I don’t make the best decisions, I moved up my flight from the noon departure to the 7:00AM one so I would have some time in LAX with some friends from high school. Because I STILL don’t understand that I can’t function on little sleep, I decided to stay out late the night before (read: 1AM) with this amazing guy. And then I slept through my alarm, but still made it to the airport with just enough time.

My morning was made when I saw this lovely sign! I’ve been WAITING for Delta to announce a SkyClub and I’m very much looking forward to the one in Phoenix.

I. DL5710 PHX – LAX // Embraer E-175 // Y
I hopped onto the luxurious (not) Embraer E-175, operated by Compass Airlines. Unfortunately, the latter half of the plane has misaligned windows, which is no fun for anyone. To be honest, on this one, I settled in and went right to sleep.

II. 8 hours in LAX
Arrival was at a very small, roundish terminal at LAX with mostly regional flights, plus a flight to Hawaii. I reached out to my friend about the brunch we had planned in the days prior and didn’t get an answer…oh boy.

I grabbed an uber and headed to 26 Beach and called my friend again. He finally answered me and said he overslept but would be there soon. I’m a punctual person. He is not. I’m not sure how we made it this long. All kidding aside, I had an amazing breakfast pasta scramble (which I didn’t know even existed) and then we split horchata French toast, which was phenomenal.

We ate and then went over to Abbot Kinney to look at the shops. It was a weekend celebrating Apple Pay so every store had a sale for Apple Pay users. There were some little stands set up selling $1 succulents and other items. Most importantly, however, was the churro truck selling its giant churro sundaes for $1. AMAZING.

Unfortunately, my time was limited because I still needed to check out the KAL Lounge at TBIT.

This was actually my first time flying out of TBIT. Air China used the ancient terminal with only one food stand in it when I last flew internationally from LAX. Just walking into it, I knew I was in for a treat. Unfortunately, there was no precheck, so I had to slum it with everyone else.

Airside, the terminal is just gorgeous. Wide open space, tall ceilings, a wide array of duty free (if that’s your thing) and a very cool visual display with flights, world times, and more.

III. Korean Air Lounge @ TBIT LAX Review
Of course, I showed up to the airport two hours early so I could enjoy my time in the KAL Lounge, the only TBIT lounge participating in the Priority Pass program. It was very busy, understandably, and didn’t have a hot food selection to speak of. This didn’t bother me immensely, having just had such a large brunch. The best part was certainly the balcony on the mezzanine level, overseeing the terminal.

For those of you that have read my past reports, I’ve had an issue with being noticed by the lounge attendants. That was no worry here, as there are none other than one that picked up used dishes and trash from tables. There was, however, a friendly guy taking his shoes off in the lounge, which is the only crime which warrants the death penalty in my mind…

My flight was delayed about 40 minutes which gave me some extra time in the lounge which was much appreciated. I descended from the mezzanine level and went to the gate which was absolute chaos. Fortunately, they assemble the boarding groups by giant poster-sized signs throughout the gate area, which seemed to do an okay job of limiting gate lice and people boarding out of turn.

IV. AF65 LAX – CDG // Airbus A380 // Y
I’ve been on AF66 twice (once returning from Athens, once from Prague) and was excited to be on the eastbound sector this time. The flight attendant directed me down the wrong aisle, which I found comical. I went to the back and found my seat…my middle seat. I didn’t check in at the start of the 24-hour window so I was stuck in the back in a middle in the center set of four seats. I was seated around a group headed to France to do some skiing. I had some good conversations with them, which was pleasant.

On the ground, the beautiful flight attendant distributed some menus for the flight. I wish I understood the designs on them…

Takeoff and climbout were done in typical, silent A380 fashion. Nothing beats the A380 in cabin quietness. Strangely, no hot towel was offered. All we had was the cold moist towelette inside of the bag with our headphones and eyeshades: a serious letdown. The flight attendant came through and I could actually drink on the plane, so I was not about to squander that opportunity. I asked for some champagne to go with my pretzels.

Dinner came around. I selected the chicken dish, which was actually quite flavorful. And actual bread rolls! What a concept! I switched to red wine at this point, which is definitely not my thing (don’t worry, I drank it all, I’m not wasteful).

At some point in the meal service, a man was requesting something from another flight attendant and she lost her mind. She was actively yelling at him (in French, so I’m not sure what for) but nonetheless that is NOT how you give friendly customer service.

Interestingly, there were some children helping the flight attendants on the flight. They seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot. I can’t wait to become an FA myself, but if I offered to help them I’m sure they would’ve been less than accepting!

I watched A Murder on the Orient Express because I’m a huge Judi Dench fan. It did not disappoint. I also had some coffee and cognac. Air France keeps the liquor flowing in Economy, you definitely can’t fault them on that.

Breakfast was uninspired, as usual. It got the job done but I don’t have any photos. Arrival into Paris was hardly behind schedule, but I still wasn’t comfortable trying to go into the city as I originally hoped. I found this comfy couch in the business center and slept my way up to my next flight departing (behind schedule, because Air France).

Our plane was subbed for an A321, which meant I was taken away from my emergency exit seat and placed near the back. Fortunately, the extra space in the plane meant my seatmates moved, giving me a row to myself!

V. AF1238 CDG – VIE // Airbus A321 // Y

It was a quick flight to Vienna, but they gave us whole sandwiches, how pleasant! Upon arrival in Vienna, I was somewhat alarmed that I never had to go through customs or anything. The EU is so nice from my quite limited perspective of air travel. Vienna was COLD. Even my coat wasn’t quite enough to protect me.

VI. Vienna, Austria
I took the green train directly to the city for 21EUR for a roundtrip ticket. It’s faster than the normal train and at that point, after my long travel days, I just needed an actual bed. I took the U to Karlsplatz, which left me in a quiet, seemingly less than savory area. The first thing I saw was the beautiful Karl’s Cathedral, which was just stunning. I made my way over to the Airbnb on Operngasse, just minutes from the Opera House. It was an incredible stay, and I’m happy to forward the link to anyone who needs a recommendation.

Needless to say, I went to sleep. Below are some of my favorite photos from the trip, restaurants/cafés I recommend, and anything I found interesting.

Great vegan burgers!

This was a happy sight.

I picked up a bottle of rosé for my stay at this supermarket.

I saw Giuseppe Verdi’s Macbeth. My seats weren’t great, but it was an incredible experience.

Vollpension is a great place for cakes and coffee. Always busy.

The Naschmarkt was quite nice, though not busy on the first two (cold) I was there.

Karlsplatz

I love the streetcars and trains. Some old, some new, some for everyone!

The National Library was just magical.

Café Sperl is meant to be representative of Viennese cafés. It was alright.

I went to another vegan food place, Voodies, which was fantastic. Side note: I’m not vegan.

My favorite place was Café Phil, a bookstore themed café with comfy couches and great lattes. I went here three times to read my book for class.

On Thursday evening I visited the Museum of Art History, which is a stunning building even without any pieces of art in it.

This is a burrito shop (“Burro”) on Operngasse. It’s really quite good.

I can definitively say Mozartorte > Sachertorte.

On my second to last day, I met a girl on exchange from Houston. She was very nice and invited me to lunch the next day at Ulrich, which has a very affordable two or three course lunch for 15EUR. Great deal considering just how great the food was.

Some other things from the trip!

Vienna was incredible. Beautiful. Weather was great. Food was great. Two things I didn’t expect, however, would be how little credit cards are actually accepted (if I showed my card, most places asked if I had cash) and how it was slightly more challenging to get around using English than I had expected. I will absolutely go back one day and highly recommend it to anyone. Definitely see an opera if it works with your schedule!

Unfortunately, I had a 6:55AM flight, as is typical for flight times to connect back to the USA. I booked a car since Uber was expensive due to local regulations and the train would not quite be running. I booked it a little early so I could maximize my lounge time as well. Eurowings pax had to wait in an awfully long line!

The lounge was fairly large, with lots of different seating options. The food offerings were rather limited but it still got the job done.

There were SO MANY restaurants on my walk to the gate. VIE is a cool airport.

VII. KL1838 VIE – AMS // Boeing 737-700 // Y
This was a quick and easy flight. Many passengers were drinking on this early flight and I was not in the mood. I slept until they handed out the snack, which was frankly quite disgusting.

Arrival into Amsterdam was also easy. I had a short connection, which was sad for me because I love AMS with all my heart. I had to rush through to get to my gate, but I didn’t miss my favorite clock.

VIII. KL605 AMS – SFO // Boeing 787-9 // Y
I flew on Dahlia. I’m in love with KLM’s 787-9. The seat is comfortable, the IFE is huge, the windows are large, and it’s still so new. Sad story, I switched my seat last minute and noticed that my old seat had nobody in the middle seat next to it. Even more of a sad story, I noticed a really hot flight attendant, but unfortunately he was working the other side of the cabin for most of the flight (where I would’ve been had I not changed my seat).

I sat back and actually had trouble sleeping for once, which I didn’t expect. I watched The Shape of Water (recommend) and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (recommend, but it made me angry). I also watched Call Me By Your Name (highly recommend) again. I was a sobbing mess when the hot flight attendant came through offering ice cream, perfect timing right? But for real, the ice cream was definitely perfect timing. The woman sitting next to me also taught me some Russian, and I helped her with her English.

IX. Delta SkyClub @ SFO Review
I arrived in San Francisco absolutely exhausted, feeling gross, and ready to be home. But I still had a connection in LAX! Nooooooo. Global Entry was a breeze as per usual. Fortunately, my Delta Amex gives me $29 entry to the Sky Club, which is AMAZING in SFO. The lounge attendants were incredibly friendly and were always around to help me with anything I needed. I had good conversations with one about IRROPS, careers in aviation, and more. I was able to take a shower, down about five mochas, and eat quite a bit of food to sustain me for the evening.

I spent several hours there before heading to the gate for my Skywest operated flight.

X. DL4919 SFO – LAX // Embraer E-175 // Y
Nothing much to report on this one. Takeoff included a parallel departure with an Air Canada A320, which is always a treat. Climbout was one of the roughest I’ve ever experienced. Water and coffee, plus DL’s usual snacks were offered.

XI. DL5711 LAX – PHX // Embraer E-175 // Y
Arrival was at the same terminal in LAX. At this point, all my energy was gone. I started reading a book before hearing my flight was delayed again. I had the chance to change to one the next morning, and almost considered doing so just so I could get some uninterrupted sleep. But nonetheless, the flight eventually arrived, and I left with it. We didn’t have any air conditioning though!

I arrived back home exhausted, but so thankful for the Skyclub in SFO for having showers. It helped me feel significantly less gross and tired.

This was a fantastic trip where I focused on myself and self-reflection, which was quite nice. Thank you for reading! Let me know how you liked my change from talking about each day in detail to providing a stream of photos from the destination, I want to make sure you all enjoy these.

Next week, I’ll be flying on the last Virgin America branded flight. In three weeks, I’ll be off to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. I can’t wait to have you all join me on those trip reports (which will hopefully be written a tad bit less later than this one).

Best,
Jeremy
Glensea and nequine like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report and it looks like you had some great flights with AF and KLM as well too. Vienna is a great city; I visited with my parents in 1999 and really enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.