Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip report: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 03/2018 (incl. pictures)

Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I would like to share our Dubai & Abu Dhabi travel experience with you. Would I enjoyed and what I cannot recommend again. Overall we stayed the 5th time in Dubai now.

British Airways: The economy flight from HAM -> DXB was just 380€ p.P. Luckily the Sapphire status gave us the opportunity to enjoy on top emergency exits FOC on all flights. However the Long-haul cabin on BAW B777-200 and 747-400 was just disappointing: Old IFE system, uncomfortable and old seats, service very average. BAW Galleries Lounges are very nice especially the one in DXB with excellent service.

Emergency Exit B777-200

BAW Lounge Dubai

BAW Lounge DXB

JW Marriott Marquis Dubai: The hotel and especially the Executive Lounge is just awesome!! We have never been in any other Marriott Lounge that offered such a big variety of food and beverages. We received a room the 52nd floor with perfect view on Dubai. However you need to be aware that the hotel has no beach and the pool area can by quite windy from time to time. Can I recommend the Hotel? YES absolutely

Dubai: March is just perfect if you want to get some sun and nice temperatures. We had blue sky, sunshine and 28°C every day. Our highlight this time was the Horse-racing at Meydian stadium. We took a “VIP ticket” for 65Dirham and had access direct down to the horses. Negative for us: Air pollution / smog was high on weekends from all the cars driving around. Furthermore the Dubai Mall was totally overloaded on Friday evening. I would recommend to visit Dubai Mall and Burj in the afternoon. Metro can be used from the Airport until Dubai Marina and is very cheap but as well crowded all the time.

Rental car: Can you drive a rental car? YES easily but the way of driving might be different from what you know. Fuel is very cheap (compared to Europe)

Marriott AL Forsan Abu Dhabi: Nice Sports resort with huge pool close to the Airport of Abu Dhabi. Executive Lounge is very nice. We gut upgraded (due to overbooking) to an Executive Suite with two balconies. Service was excellent. Only you may consider to have a rental car or use Taxi for traveling around in Abu Dhabi. Can I recommend the Hotel? YES

Abu Dhabi: We enjoyed Abu Dhabi very much, less tourists, less traffic and cheaper hotels. Our highlight was the new Louvre. We spend 8 hours to enjoy exhibition and amazing architecture. Furthermore we can recommend TrainYas: Go running or cycling on AbuDhabi Formula1 track. Bicylces are FOC and water is supplied on several stations around the track. Don`t miss to visit the Grand Mosque when the sun goes down. However check dress code expectations (mainly for females) before you visit the Mosque.

TrainYas

Conclusion: Would we travel to Dubai / Abu Dhabi again? Yes but most likely to Abu Dhabi to enjoy a beach hotel. Abu Dhabi is less touristic but offers more cultural highlights in my opinion.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by GT80; Apr 14, 2018 at 10:36 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:15 am

Looks like a great stay in the UAE, GT80. Must have been an awesome view on the 52nd floor at the JW.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Awesome, i have booked a 1 night stay in Abu Dhabi. I was getting concerned about keeping busy and enjoying my time in Abu Dhabi, so quite pleased with your recommended suggestions of things to do!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

I spend some time and finished my review of the JW Marquis Hotel in Dubai.

Positive:
+ Absolutely AWESOME Executive Lounge
+ View from high level rooms is amazing
+ Large rooms and excellent service
+ Shuttle to Dubai Mall
+ JW team is just excellent

Negative:
- No Beach and pool area can get windy sometimes
- Elevetor can take some time if you have a high level room

My ranking: 5*+

savingfor1st likes this.

Last edited by GT80; Apr 24, 2018 at 9:11 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very critical with the "beach-less" hotels in Dubai. Once stayed at Armani and found it quite boring.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:18 pm

They have beach hotels in Dubai by the water and also on the Palm.
Ras El Khaimah 1 hour from Dubai have wonderful beach hotels; we stayed at the Waldorf.

Also Muscat have great beach hotels. We stayed at the Palace in Dubai on the beach but the actual ocean swimming is not so tempting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.