Original Poster

Hunting for that perfect cherry blossom bloom

Day 1

Tickets - Check
Bags - Check
IFE allegedly self procured via unmentionable online sources - Check
ANC headphones charged - Check
Wife frustrated just like any other time before a travel - 2xCHECK
Dogs petted, fed and left to fend for themselves (until nice neighbor comes to check on them in a few hours) - Check

Off we go.
Redeyes on AA in coach are not worth mentioning much. Gone are the days when I'd settle in my favorite 1A but those were the single days when I had time and money to burn, and, of course, no wife to burn them for me.
Quick meal at airport before takeoff, then takeoff. SFO AA wing is just a sad appendix. A few frustrated hours later, hello Charlotte. Quick, we gotta go. Bye Charlotte, hello Dulles. Hello GA office where I want to proudly announce that I am now a US Citizen. No, they say... green card stays. You WILL have issues next time we see you. Moving on...

Hello capital of the free world! (For our Canadian members, that's Washington DC)
Grand Hyatt on H street. Little asterisk on the brochure: *As of January we no longer have an indoor pool*. But there's a Starbucks Reserve in the grounds. Wife gets excited on the prospect of having some overpriced Starbucks little known coffees. Sadly their "reserve" machine is broken.

Room... quick, close the shades, i'm getting undressed here! Inside view room at the Grand Hyatt means the higher you are, the more of the rooms across the lobby you see. And in addition, the occasional undressing session. A voyeur's dream. But we have no time to do that. We have places to go, meals to eat and museums to see. And of course, look for that cherry blossom they seem to be talking so much about.

Food, now! Honey quick, a spot seems to have opened up at this place you shortlisted in your list of 20 must eat restaurants in DC. Glad we're here only 4 days. Off to Zaytinya we go. Oh this octopus is very good. And the bread. And don't you notice most of the people in this place look like tourists? Who cares, they serve RAKI! Happy me was short lived when at first taste I discover it's just ouzo.

Look, there's a Arts and Photographic museum. But we only have an hour. We'll make it quick. stomp stomp stomp (that's our feet rushing though the museum, looking at things left right center with the eagerness of a starving vegetarian who's been offered a chicken strip.

DC is nice. Let's walk. Oh so clean. Yes dear, anything outside San Francisco is actually kept clean. In SF even the trash has an attitude and don't you dare infringe its right to exist, right between trash cans.

Back? ok, back. HA! A bar! I wonder... hey mister, do you by any chance open up early for soccer games? Why yes, weird guy who wants an excuse to have a drink at 6 AM. COOL!

Grand Hyatt... if I turn the light off and hide behind the curtains, does that make me a bad person? Go to sleep! We have cherry flowers to hunt for tomorrow! Yes dear. Dear? NO! TOO TIRED! (damn)

to be continued....
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Day 2

DARBY DAY! In Liverpool, that is. Everton vs. LFC. Kickoff 7:30 EST. Eyes open... 7:40, must rush to bar. Oh here's a hot girl getting off the Uber wearing an LFC jersey. Must hide ring, but wait, wife, love, life, divorce too expensive. Next best thing? 2 irish coffees and an IPA. Not a bad way to wash off memories of a boring 0-0 draw.

Grand Hyatt, home base. No time to enjoy. Old Ebbitt Grill won't hold the table forever. Can I make my Dr. Evil impression? Ok, if you must. "It's frigging freezing here Mr. Bigglesworth" Look, Crab Benedict! Get in my belly! Dear, did I order soft boiled eggs with my Benedict? Shouldn't the hollandaise be more than a teaspoon's worth? No time to complain, drink your coffee refill you asked for and lets go!

And here it is... the grand finale! Cherry Blossom! Aren't we here for two more days? Too technical! Get to picture snapping! Snap snap snap. Quick, that annoying family just vacated that awesome picture spot. Quick to that other spot, and that other one. Around the Basin we go. Do you think any fish live here? Here's Lincoln. Wait... he's brown. And standing! Must be some other guy. Wrong monument. It's just Jefferson. What did he do? Wasn't that in your citizenship test? The USCIS guy only asked me who the CURRENT president is! Less yapping, more snapping! Wife, love, life, divorce too expensive. Snap snap snap.
What now? Up for some taxidermology? Morbid... but not in the Smithsonian! Cool koala, So many rats! And there's the king of the jungle. And T-rex. Do they have a petting zoo here?

Look, here's Trump hotel. How luxurious and exclusive! I see Arabs. They must be from the muslim countries we're friends with. Tired, too much walking, food. Trump says 2+ hrs wait. Very exclusive! But so does Elephant & Castle across the street! Just as exclusive? Or just the magic of the cherry blossom.

Grand Hyatt... the word "Grand" is losing its luster every time I walk in. Going down the list... 2+ hr wait, 3+ hr wait, 2+ hr wait. No wonder DC people look good in their skinny suits! 45min wait and they have a star! The little fat white french guy (who also makes tires) says "tres bon" Next time I'm at BigO Tires I'm asking Ortez for restaurant recommendations!

Fiola Mare... tourist trap with a coat check. Leather bound book. Winds of Winter? No, but just as elusive... it's their wine list. Doubles as a sommelier. While the restaurant does have one of them he was too busy entertaining a group of 3 loud and obnoxious gentlemen behind us. For the entire evening. Back to the cowhide wrapped R.R. Martinesque elusiveness. And of course, the actual menu. Half portions? Check! Half price? ummm... Ortez, where are you!!!

Hyatt... Honey? (slight snoring sounds)

T B C....
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Day 3

Upwards! Shower, Starbucks Reserve breakfast sandwiches. Busy day! White House. Washington Monument. WW2 Memorial. Lincoln, the white one, sitting down. Throne? Game? Snap snap snap. And lots of walking. Zombie Apocalypse suddenly sounds pretty relaxing with cars, vans, Harleys, empty houses and the occasional zombie. Snap snap snap.

Back of the White House seems interesting. Snap. Front? Who cares, seen it on TV. Snap some more. Still, even the back of it is cool.

Lincoln. Whohooo! That guy is majestic. The bathrooms downstairs reminder of sweet home streets of SF. Snap. Ok, a few more, he's really majestic. Eat your heart out Mother of Dragons. We got F16s. All you have is 2 dragons and a possible incestuous relationship!

WW2 Memorial. States, let's see, lived there, there, there, there but no California? Oh there it is hiding in a corner. Philippines? That's not a state. Ok, snap.

Detour. It's sunny. Cherry Blossom Under Sunlight is a begging Kodak moment. Good spot. Damn... people. Let's annoy them and maybe they'll leave. Snap snap snap and snap.

Washington Monument. Gotta stay far to take it all in. The frame, that is. And the occasional tourist snapping away at their friend's pose of pushing the thing. Pisa tower? HA! In SF we have our own leaning, but we call that Millenium Tower.

Smithsonians. 3 of them. American History, Art and Space. Wham bam thank you Ma'am. An impressive amount of visual knowledge absorbed right above our noses in a matter of 4 hours. And a quick bite/beer in between. Al fresco. BBC's Planet Earth 2, the live version with birds stealing fries and chicken fingers instead of monkeys stealing bags of chips and sodas. And yes, Mr Bigglesworth, it's still frigging freezing here!

Hyatt? Hyatt. Dinner? Dinner. Where? Shake Shack. Don't we have those in SF? No, only in LA. Wait? Ortez says no. Ah... in that case, shake me in the shack. Or vice versa. Whatever, we're hungry. Yea, Super Duper is much better.

Hyatt. So... what about... umm.... tomorrow? Plan. You - pick up rental. You - bring bags to said rental. You - check out. Me - Shopping at the TJ Maxx Runway store. And that's all she said.

T.... B.... concluded
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Day 4

Plan in motion. Hickups? Yes. Detours? Yes. Planned? No.

Avis at Union Station. Friendly staff. Oh but wait... friendly bait. Want insurance? NO. Sure? Yes. Not even liability? NO. Your CC doesn't cover you know? Yes. So, insurance? NO thank you! Fine, don't scratch that Kia. It's a premium you know!

Gather bags, gather wife, check out. Bye Hyatt. You almost made me a voyeur. Trouble is, I might have liked it. And while we're on the subject... drop the Grand. Lincoln is Grand. You're just big bulky with an oversized lobby and a good location. Maybe, Big Hyatt?

How to make wife happy after failed shopping trip? Why, you take her to the Capitol building. Snap snap snap. Waved at Zuckerberg but he didn't wave back. Asked him for my data back, he said email is on the way. All under the grey cold sky of Washington DC. Oh Lincoln... only if you knew what your dream has become!

How to make wife even happier? Secret reservations for lunch at Sushi Taro. Ortez in this case agrees with the french guy. De to the lish!

This Kia drives like a Honda. Oh... right, echo mode. put it in Sport. This Kia drives like a Honda on O/D. We're late, step on it!

BWI here we come.
BWI here we stay... JetBlue is delayed. And BOS? Don't sweat. There's a PP lounge there. And home? Oh, about 2 AM. So... PP lounge? In the mean time enjoy BWI.

(I must here interject with a quick unscripted review of JetBlue. In all my years of flying dead, dying and alive airlines, and yes that includes a TWA and a Valujet, I have never flown JetBlue. For a coach product it was pretty comfortable)

False advertising at BWI TSA. Doggie pictures but no doggies. Wife wanted to pet hairy TSO, I advised against it.

Hello BOS. Hello PP lounge. Quarte kaiser roll sandwiches? Beer? Wine? Ramen noodles? Cookies? Power plugs? Screaming babies? ALL CHECK! No matter. Pavlov says we are accustomed to repetitiousness of behavior and environment. My Heinekens and I say nazdarovia comrade!
Bye BOS.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ladies and gentleman, welcome to SF International Airport where the local time is bla bla bla we thank you for flying bla bla bla and we hope to see bla bla bla.

Uber to carpark.
carpark to car.
car to home.
2 doggies bark bark bark.
Sleep. all 4 in 1 bed.

Gutte nacht
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:55 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Just bizarre.....!
flyupfrnt, glennaa11 and gpy like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Bark Bark
Gute Nacht
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

"In SF even the trash has an attitude..."
Well said.

I'm so glad that the Kia was unscathed, and that your wife found the Capitol to be just as fulfilling as shopping. After all, the Capitol is at that national mall.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:58 am

OP left his dogs alone at home for 4 days with just the neighbours checking in occasionally? Otherwise the TR is quite funny.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lfcfan
... but those were the single days when I had time and money to burn, and, of course, no wife to burn them for me...
LOL. Thanks for the unique and funny TR. ^
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
OP left his dogs alone at home for 4 days with just the neighbours checking in occasionally? Otherwise the TR is quite funny.
Dogs were left in the care of our friends who live 2 blocks away. We trade help with each other pets every time we/them are out of town. They come twice a day, morning and evening. Morning to let the dogs out into the back yard and give them a small meal then evening to let them back in the house and feed them the main meal. They tend do bark a lot at night if they're left outside so we keep them in the house and they keep quiet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.