Wiki Posts
Search

[AZ Magnifica] WAW-FCO-SCL-FCO-WAW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

[AZ Magnifica] WAW-FCO-SCL-FCO-WAW

Hi All,

A few pictures from one of my recent trips to Santiago and back, with slightly more emphasis on the return trip as I slept for most of the flight on the way down to Chile. A short report on the whole, mostly focussing on the on-board service as such.

That said, yet another trip to Santiago in the space of not even 3 weeks, this time I will be staying over the weekend as well hence a great chance to head over the coast for some running on the beach together, needless to say, with some much needed rest.

To: Santiago, Chile (SCL)

Warsaw airport is extremely straight forward, no terminals as such but different areas for check-in purposes.

A quick look at today's flights, just one single AZ flight – there used to be 2 services to MXP (one in the morning and one late afternoon) and 1 to FCO back in the good-old-days, not to mention the 3 daily flights from KRK to MXP.

A brief visit to the excellent Fantazja lounge and it's already time to board.

AZ491 WAW-FCO 32S

A route which I've flown countless times (including many on the MD80s...), over 500 according to my FlightMemory's account.

Standard on-board service at this time of the day and a very nice meal indeed, apart from the salad (tasteless).

Today's flight will last not even 2 hours, possibly due to strong tailwinds and a long layover at FCO ahead of me. I decide to go out for a bit of fresh air as a first and later head to the Casa Alitalia lounge, located in the former G concourse (now gates E31-E44). The lounge is really top-notch with a fantastic choice in terms of food and with the only minus being the fact that most AZ flights depart from the other concourse, the new building. A new lounge is, however, already under construction in the latter.

One more Ferrari and some more food before boarding my flight to SCL.

AZ688 FCO-SCL 772

Business (or, rather, Magnifica) class nearly full (22/30) tonight.

Regional menu from Calabria tonight, I will just try the starter and the fish option as a main, here they are (after another Ferrari served as aperitif) –

The fish was quite tasty, I could not complain at all.

No coffee, fruit or dessert, I will collapse fairly quickly and wake up in time for breakfast and the usual breathtaking views over the Andes.

Breakfast not particularly nice (I only went for the yoghurt together with some fruit), but the view outside was enough to compensate.

I shall be back soon for a couple of OT pictures and the return trip back home to Warsaw.

G
bitterproffit and stu1985 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

SECOND PART

As I previously mentioned, I will be staying over the weekend this time and therefore thought not to stay in Santiago but head to the coast instead. Admittedly, I wasn't particularly keen to get on another flight after the incredibly hectic schedule over the last few weeks but La Serena didn't look that far and Latam has a few daily flights so we decided, together with my colleague, to fly over Friday afternoon and back Sunday morning.

La Serena is the second oldest city in the Country after the capital city, Santiago. A popular (I'm guessing) place on the seaside over peak months but rather quite at this time of year.

Lighthouse.

Beautiful sunset after a busy day running & walking.

The weekend went pretty quick and it was already time to head back to Santiago.

A short taxi ride to Florida Airport, a very small airport as you'd imagine but fascinating indeed.

View over the hills on the other side.

Terminal building (departures/arrivals).

Through security in not even 10 seconds and our A320 had just landed from SCL.

LA301 LSC-SCL 320

Great views.

A very short (~40 minutes) and uneventful flight, the crew will even manage a round of BoB.

To continue with the return journey, Santiago to Warsaw via Rome.

G
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

THIRD PART

My flight back to Europe wasn't really as good as the last few flights I had experienced on Alitalia, this mostly for the food (poor quality, not to mention the presentation as such) and the mediocre service on-board (no hot towels and no pre-departure drinks amongst others). I hope this will just be a one-off as I'm due to go back to Santiago (again on Alitalia) just after Easter.

A dragging taxi journey through the usual chaotic traffic in Santiago (and my Mrs thought that Warsaw was bad...) before getting to the airport and heading to the AZ check-in area, just next to AF, KL & AR.

Through security and passports in not even 5 minutes and straight to the lounge. AZ passengers are now redirected to the Andes lounge, just opposite the DL SkyClub (I do use it when flying either AF or KL and it's crap in every sense so I'm quite happy with the choice from AZ here, even though it has been recently announced that a new Sky Team lounge should open in SCL by the end of this year).

On our way to the lounge near gate 17. Today's AZ689 will board from gate 16 so even better.

Entrance for the DL Sky Club, thank goodness we're not heading here today.

The AZ lounge was completely empty...

...with no food either...

...but a few sandwiches & other snacks soon make their appearance.

As ever, I will go for sushi (even though our favourite sushi restaurant in Warsaw makes it way but way better! ).

Boarding was called perfectly on-time.

AZ689 SCL-FCO 772

Seat 10L.

Today's menu (in Italian, sorry!) plus amenity kit by Bvlgari.

No drinks were served during boarding & no hot towel either, which I thought was pretty poor and I could just feel it wasn't going to be a good flight today.

Neighbours.

Pushback a few minutes after the scheduled time of departure and off for a longish taxiing.

Possibly getting some maintenance done.

Take-off and service which will start just after flying over the Andes.

Aperol Spritz's aperitif.

Cod salad, which was pretty bland and the rather poor presentation didn't help either.

Pasta alla Norcina (typical of the Umbria region, apparently...) – I'm not a fan of pasta but decided to go for it as it was delicious in previous experiences but absolutely awful this time, a bit too much al dente and that's an understatement!

Veal scallops with roasted potatoes & cherry tomatoes – again, not good at all. Probably because of the expectation of flying on an Italian carrier but I didn't enjoy it, it was not very tasty and the potatoes not very well cooked.

I will not go for the dessert and not even the cheese so a coffee and limoncello will do for today.

This flight went really quick and we approached a rainy Fiumicino just before 6:30AM (we were scheduled to land at 7).

Quick transfer at FCO (which has improved massively, it feels like being in an entirely different airport!) and a brief stay at one of the lounges in the Schengen side before another flight which, again, counts a ridiculous number of entries on my personal flight record.

AZ490 FCO-WAW 321

Uneventful flight with the usual breakfast served – not long and I'll be in Warsaw again, just in time for the Easter holiday and before going back to Chile later in April.

Plenty of snow on the ground with a temperature just below zero, but I had honestly missed this!

That's all from me – apologies for the short OT as well as for the brief descriptions but I hope you'll all enjoy it anyway

G
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the pics! Don't get to see AZ too often.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I can relate with your experience with food. On the FCO-EZE route, food is considerably better when flying ex-Rome than when flying ex-Buenos Aires. I guess AZ just hires bad caterers in (South American?) outstations.

Fiumicino is now my favourite European airport for connecting flights. Immigration and security take no time (hello CDG!), the new lounges are fine and the whole airport layout makes it for a very straightforward connecting process.

Please keep up with your AZ trip reports. We hardly ever see something from Alitalia, which is a shame because it offers a very decent product.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sempervivum
Thanks for the pics! Don't get to see AZ too often.
Many thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by Marambio
I can relate with your experience with food. On the FCO-EZE route, food is considerably better when flying ex-Rome than when flying ex-Buenos Aires. I guess AZ just hires bad caterers in (South American?) outstations.

Fiumicino is now my favourite European airport for connecting flights. Immigration and security take no time (hello CDG!), the new lounges are fine and the whole airport layout makes it for a very straightforward connecting process.

Please keep up with your AZ trip reports. We hardly ever see something from Alitalia, which is a shame because it offers a very decent product.
Thanks a lot for your comments, Marambio — agreed on all fronts there.

Concerning the food: I think AZ should just find a valid alternative to those regional (as of Italian regions) menus for flights departing from outstations as things are likely to go horribly wrong and passengers aren’t going to be happy, especially when the expectations’ bar is set quite high when it comes to Italian food and in a J cabin generally speaking — it’s just not gonna happen and, as you’ve also clearly noticed, there’s a pattern there. As you say, though, food tends to be quite nice on services out of FCO and the airport itself, after the opening of the new concourse, really contributes to a better experience overall: after my last flight from SCL, I was through security and passports in just less than 5 minutes which, considering all those flights arriving at that time in the morning, it’s incredibly swift and something which was never to be expected only a few months back.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​G
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Nice report! Sorry to hear you didn't have a better experience in Magnifica Class. I've not read many reports about this cabin with AZ - so thank you for sharing!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757
Nice report! Sorry to hear you didn't have a better experience in Magnifica Class. I've not read many reports about this cabin with AZ - so thank you for sharing!
Hi and many thanks to you for reading!

Magnifica remains a pretty robust product (even better on the 330s, thanks to the 'upgraded' IFE) however, since they've introduced those regional menus, the pattern is basically hit-and-miss (leaning to disappointment due to mediocre food) from outstations and overall quality service (in terms of catering) out of Rome – a tale of two stories basically which I'm hoping will soon be addressed. No complains about the seat, though (the long-haul fleet has all been refurbished) and the amenity kit by Bvlgari is also a nice touch.

G
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
BTW - AMS-SCL in AZ Magnifica is now about 1750€ for quite some time already ...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Hey AlicorporateAZ,

Great report!

You always made me wish I would fly with AZ one day (most likely would not happen, though)!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
It's funny to see, how different the same menu can be served on the plane... By the way, I was also sitting on 10L, one of my fav seats :-)

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Aperol Spritz's aperitif.

AZ621 LAX-FCO, MAR18 - Campari Spritz

Cod salad, which was pretty bland and the rather poor presentation didn't help either.

AZ621 LAX-FCO, MAR18 - It was more a potato salad, only 3-4 pieces of cod

Pasta alla Norcina (typical of the Umbria region, apparently...) – I'm not a fan of pasta but decided to go for it as it was delicious in previous experiences but absolutely awful this time, a bit too much al dente and that's an understatement!

AZ621 LAX-FCO, MAR18 - Pasta tasted very good, well cooked and right temperature.

Veal scallops with roasted potatoes & cherry tomatoes – again, not good at all. Probably because of the expectation of flying on an Italian carrier but I didn't enjoy it, it was not very tasty and the potatoes not very well cooked.

AZ621 LAX-FCO, MAR18 - Tasted very good!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

@Air Rarotonga - thanks very much for contributing with your own pictures and indeed, the usual hit & miss in terms of service standards (you also seem to be flying AZ quite a lot so I don't need to add further). That said, the food you got served looks really good as well as the incredibly better presentation. Again, many thanks for your visual contribution.

G
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
@Air Rarotonga - thanks very much for contributing with your own pictures and indeed, the usual hit & miss in terms of service standards (you also seem to be flying AZ quite a lot so I don't need to add further). That said, the food you got served looks really good as well as the incredibly better presentation. Again, many thanks for your visual contribution.
Thank you for your report!
The food catered ist the one point but at the end, everything depends on the crew... This time it was a wunderful crew that were very active and they knew their business. I also made a few other experiences with not motivated and bad crew. Received i.ex. pasta on my table in the state from cold until too crispy as to long in the oven. I have the impression, that the food quality went down since they introduced the "plate and eat when you like service" introduced from EY. I don't remember that I've ever had bad cooked food whan AZ still served the food direct from the food trolley in the cabin. Liked that very much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.