Wiki Posts
Search

You'll Never Walk Alone In Slovenia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:06 pm
pjs
Original Poster

10/17 - Slovenia (continued)

So, the tickets came through. Even better, they were VIP tickets with access to free food and drinks, pre, during and after the match in the arena adjacent to the stadium. The match was fantastic. Liverpool ended up winning 7-0 and because the stadium was so small, we were very close to the action:

Riot police everywhere, but no trouble.

Ready for kickoff.

Traveling Reds in good voice.

Maribor ultras sang the whole match even down 7-0.

After the match, I still wasn’t feeling great so I grudgingly gave up on the post-match festivities to catch up on some sleep as I had to head back to the UK the next morning.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wow, what a Naan!
pjs likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:20 pm
pjs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Wow, what a Naan!
Even your nan was impressed by that Naan.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:32 pm
pjs
Original Poster

10/18 - Back in the UK for a day

Next morning, I walked back through town and grabbed a coffee and pastry before making it to the Maribor train station. It's a pleasant university town, full of mostly young people going about their studies (and non-studies).

Train station:

I would love to come back to Slovenia and explore more of the country some day. I met up with the same crew as the day before as we were all on the same flight back to Amsterdam. Everyone was in good spirits after the big win, but they were hung over and I was fighting a cold/cough.

We made it back to Graz airport in plenty of time and I even had time to stop by the PP Lounge there which had automated entry, nice views and a decent drink selection, but no real food.

By the way, the guy with the headphones is former Liverpool player, Patrik Berger. He was on our flight to AMS in biz but unfortunately, not sitting next to me.

I bought some German candy for my daughter at the airport shop and we headed back to AMS on another E190.

One of the four similar snack/meals I was served on these short, regional KLM flights in business class.

At AMS, I bid farewell to my new friends, who were connecting to Manchester, and I went to retrieve my rollaboard. I tried to find a lounge, but the non-Schengen KLM lounge was close for refurbishment and I couldn’t be bothered to look for anything else as I was really feeling crappy by this point.

My flight to LHR was uneventful and on-time. I drank green tea the whole time as my cold was really blossoming. I took the tube to Hammersmith (using my Apple Pay again) and found the Holiday Inn Express. Why would I stay in Hammersmith for my last night in London? This is why:

I had realized that my flight home was the day after one of the 10 shows he was playing at the Hammersmith Apollo so I managed to find a decently priced ticket on StubHub before I left. I had the ticket sent directly to the Holiday Inn Express and they held the DHL envelope for my arrival.

First, though, I had to get some cold medicine to get me through the show. I stopped at Boots and bought some strong stuff, had a quick curry at a nearby Indian restaurant, then headed over to the Hammersmith Apollo. The show was great, although I would have enjoyed it more if I was fully healthy. I stopped in a pub for a quick pint and went back to the hotel to load up on cold medicine and try to get some sleep before my flight home the next day.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:43 pm
pjs
Original Poster

10/19 - Headed Home

That night, I was up and down with fever, chills, cold and cough. That OTC medicine seemed to do the trick though as I woke up feeling much better with no fever and just a little stuffy. Breakfast at the HI Express was pretty good, but I kept it light as I had the Clubhouse to look forward to. I took the tube back to LHR and it was much less crowded headed outward from Central London.

I got to T3 nice and early for my flight home so I could enjoy the Virgin Clubhouse. It had been about 15 years since I was there last and I really enjoyed it. I took full advantage of the free haircut, had brunch, then drinks, then lunch.

Finally, it was time to board my 767 home to Atlanta.

DL 33 LHR-ATL
767-300
Delta One
Seat: 1A

This time I sat in 1A, which I think I preferred to 9A. It’s not as private, but you get served first, which is helpful when there’s only one FA per side and the flight is full. Here is the menu (same drink menu as the previous Delta flight):

Some food pics. I had the Chicken curry with a much smaller Naan this time

I watched Inception again, as I couldn’t find any good new movies that looked interesting. The pre-landing chicken sandwich was really good though:

We landed on time in ATL around 8pm and I grabbed an Uber home to sleep off the rest of my cold. It was a great trip and I can’t wait to get back to Liverpool again next season. Hope you enjoyed coming along. And good job by Sevilla today!
aidy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
A great read and unfortunately a good job by Sevilla!! I
pjs likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR - Slovenia is amazing - Ljubljana and Lake Bled are highlights. Well worth a couple of days
River in Sight likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR - Slovenia is amazing - Ljubljana and Lake Bled are highlights. Well worth a couple of days
I second this, we can't wait to go back to Slovenia, the people are very friendly.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am regretting not going to Bled when I was invited a few years ago! Great report, thanks for sharing ^
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Meh
Nice TR, you might be over again for final
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:29 am
pjs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
Nice TR, you might be over again for final
Shhh - don't jinx it (but I already looked at award flights to Kiev)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Great trip report, always have wanted to do a trip centered around a few matches. I don't really support any club, but the energy at a match over there is so much better than matches here.
Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:53 am
pjs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HLT1904
Great trip report, always have wanted to do a trip centered around a few matches. I don't really support any club, but the energy at a match over there is so much better than matches here.
Thanks for posting.
Thanks - If you want a good atmosphere without having to go overseas, you should come to Atlanta for a MLS match. Pretty good stuff going on here right now.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
A TR about my two passions- aviation and LFC- what more is there not to love. Shame about the dull Untied game.

Although it seems it is easier for you guys to get tickets for home games than it is for us UK based club members. Fancy slinging me some tickets if they are spare from your Atlanta supporters club .

YNWA.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:07 am
pjs
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
A TR about my two passions- aviation and LFC- what more is there not to love. Shame about the dull Untied game.

Although it seems it is easier for you guys to get tickets for home games than it is for us UK based club members. Fancy slinging me some tickets if they are spare from your Atlanta supporters club .

YNWA.
You have to put in for the tickets twice a year as a club with all the membership info etc. I suppose there's more competition for tickets from your side of the Atlantic and they like to throw us a few tickets. Frankly, I'm not going the supporters club route again as there are always spares around and usually at face value if it's not a top 6 side we're playing. I have enough connections now after a couple of trips that I don't need the club's help anymore. Think I would rather go watch us beat Watford 5-0 than deal with the added stress of a Utd match anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.