Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Six Days In Ethiopia

Six Days In Ethiopia

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Wonderful trip report. I love different cultures.
I love the pic of the man in the local corner store. He was so happy.
Thanks, Annalisa12. Yes, the locals were quite welcoming and friendly.
Originally Posted by londonfog
What a great trip! I visited Lalibela and Axum as a child (over fifty years ago) and I still remember them very well. I have been to Addis and Lake Tana as well, the last time less than 18 years ago. Once again, great photos and thank you for showing me familiar places through your eyes. It is very interesting.
Thank you, londonfog. Axum looks like a very interesting place to visit, would love to head back and see some more of the country.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR - thanks so much!! The churches tour and the green land hikes were amazing. How was the raw meat in cubes? Im only accustomed to it in thin slices and ground tartare! Also the meat was both red and white - which animals?
and yes, very glad that the drone was returned without major hassle.
​​​​​​​Cheers, gaobest. Yes, so much history and beautiful landscapes, very different from Dubai. The meat at Yilma was beef, the white stuff is just the fat.
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Once again another excellent TR to a (somewhat) off-the-beaten-path destination! Always enjoy reading your TRs as they are quite the contrast to the usual F and J reports on the major airlines. I second gaobest's question above, how was the raw meat??
Many thanks, WesternCDN. The meat was surprisingly tender and tasty. The start of my next TR will be a little different, flying at the front of the plane.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:13 am

Great TR as usual.

I just had to guess you've made it to Star Gold with ET after all those flights?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:08 am

I believe you need a Yellow Fever Shot to visit Ethiopia? Do they ask for proof at passport control. I was told by my Doctor that those over 60 should not take it as it can kill you. Shame as I always wanted to go to Ethiopia.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Great TR as usual.I just had to guess you've made it to Star Gold with ET after all those flights?
Thank you, blueferrari. Yes, maybe enough points for a return trip to Ethiopia.
Originally Posted by Bretteee
I believe you need a Yellow Fever Shot to visit Ethiopia? Do they ask for proof at passport control. I was told by my Doctor that those over 60 should not take it as it can kill you. Shame as I always wanted to go to Ethiopia.
You'll be fine, Bretteee. Most African countries only ask for the YFC if you are coming from another African country. I think Nigeria is the only African country (out of 32 I've been to) where they've asked for my YFC while coming from Dubai.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Thanks for taking the time to put together this TR. Has the peace agreement between Ethiopia and Eritrea improved safety in the Danakil area? Did the agreement satisfy some of the issues of the Afar people? This issue has been holding me back from visiting Erte Ale.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by DanielW

At about 1pm we rolled into the town of Berhale and stopped for a break and to meet up with the rest of the group.

Rice and vegetables for a simple but filling lunch.

Why didn't you have what they were having? Just curious - because in Cape Town, we had something similar to it and liked it :-)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks for taking the time to put together this TR. Has the peace agreement between Ethiopia and Eritrea improved safety in the Danakil area? Did the agreement satisfy some of the issues of the Afar people? This issue has been holding me back from visiting Erte Ale.
Many thanks, UA Fan. Not too sure on how the improvement in relations affects the Afar issues. Attacks are still quite rare though and the official UK travel advice is green so it should be relatively safe to visit: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ethiopia
Originally Posted by an_asker
Why didn't you have what they were having? Just curious - because in Cape Town, we had something similar to it and liked it :-)
Our tour cook prepared our meal of rice and we just ate it at the 'restaurant' (although really just a wooden shack). When we returned to the same place on the way back I did opt to pay extra to have the injera and goat meat that the locals were having:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.