Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (First Class) - Sydney to London (Return)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold

I am on a trip to Europe (to brave the winter) on Singapore Airlines. The flight is a return flight from Sydney to London via Singapore. Hope you enjoy it.

Sydney to Singapore (B777- First Class) - POSTED
Singapore to London (A380- Suites Class) - POSTED

London to Singapore (A380- Suites Class) - NEW POST
Singapore to Sydney (B777- First Class)

---------------------------------------------------
Here is my review of my first flight of the journey:
Flight: SQ222
Carrier: Singapore Airlines
Class: First Class
Depart: Sydney
Arrive: Singapore

The Review is below. I did take a fair few photos and some cool videos of the flight - If you want to check them out you can view them on my blog site – http://lifeofatravelczar.com/singapo...-to-singapore/

THE LOUNGE
I check in seamlessly for my flight and make my way to the First Class SilverKris Lounge in Sydney Airport. The lounge offers a limited made to order menu with an extensive buffet and a reasonable selection of wines and spirits. Although I would argue that it’s probably not as premium as it should be for a First Class Lounge, there are private work suites with AC power suitable for those wishing to catch-up on work and beautiful tall luxe chairs with views of the tarmac.

THE SUITE
The First Class product on this aircraft is probably the most exclusive of the major airlines in that there are only four First Class seats and the cabin layout is a 1-2-1 configuration. The open / semi private suites were designed as a collaboration with BMW and have a beautiful rich dark chocolate colour with a quilted aesthetic which oozes the vibe of an old school club sofa. The seat is very wide (35 inches) with a seat pitch of 71 inches. There is a matching leather pillow and leather foot rest above the storage area.

On the inside edge of the suite, there are key controls for lighting, recline and the flight attendant call button. Above the controls are a holder for to hang the headset when its not in use and further reading lights for the suite. There are no overhead lockers in the First Class cabin, but there is storage space underneath the leather footrest opposite the seat and indeed on the footrest itself. Underneath the screen there is a further set of storage compartments which are substantial enough to store large cameras or handbags.

Singapore Airlines’ in-flight entertainment system has a huge catalogue of movies, TV shows, documentaries and music – certainly plenty of content to keep you occupied. The Panasonic in-flight entertainment system has a crisp 24 inch LCD screen which is controlled with a touch-screen handset. Bose Noise controlled headphones are provided (right of the screen) to enjoy the system. The seat has a elegant and useful LCD remote control to toggle through the options. Singapore does do the IFE better than most other airlines with full seasons of TV shows and a good variety of east and west offerings. I watch a few episodes of Friends which is a favourite sitcom of mine.

THE AMENITY KIT
If there is one area of First Class which has been continually downgraded over the years it is the amenity kit. Most airlines have paired back the product in terms of quality and offerings contained within the kits. Singapore steps it up with a collaboration with French luxury brand Lalique and Formia. The stylish black pouch contains beautiful travel size products from Lalique’s Encre Noire men’s range. This includes a body lotion, aftershave balm, lip balm and fragrance. The products are perfect to freshen up after a long flight and the pouch is just oh so stylish. The pyjamas are a treat too. They are comfortable and the sizing is perfect (on some airline’s medium sizes are more like an extra large) and there is a beautiful Lalique logo on the front of the top. It would probably be my second favourite set of PJs behind JAL’s Porsche designed version.

DINING
Champagne: As far as Champagne goes, Singapore Airlines offer a choice of either Dom Perignon or Krug. I am a Blanc de Blanc kinda guy, but if I do have to drink blended champagne, then please pour me a Dom Perignon. The 2006 vintage was a particularly good one. On the nose, there was the alluring touch of floral blossoms and faint candied fruits with some nutty hints. Not as expressive I initially expected, I have tasted other vintages before (particularly the 1996) and I guess I was expecting a little more in that department. On the palate there are good citrus notes, a vivacious acidity and a creamy and silky texture which leaves a sensuous impression on the palate and a little tingle down your spine. The finish leaves a hint of salinity and bitter lemon pip which its quite interesting.

The Caviar Course: The caviar course offers a substantial serve of chilled Malossol Caviar with Melba toast and condiments. I am offered some Russian Vodka with the caviar which I decline, as I believe the acidity and zest of the champagne will be a more perfect accompaniment. There is no mother of pearl spoon which was provided on Cathay and JAL, however it is easy with the cutlery provided to scoop the various condiments and caviar to form a nice taste sensation on the palate. The caviar is lovely, with a fresh burst saline minerality and its natural flavour leaving an indelible impression on the palate. The crunch of melba toast adds a lovely contrast of textures and the crispness of the Dom Perignon makes for a perfect pairing for what is quite an exquisite experience.

Clear Chicken Soup: The dish is a clear chicken soup with oyster mushrooms. It’s rich in unami with the strength of the salinity in the chicken flowing through in the midst of the earthiness of the mushroom. A simple but very satisfying dish. I take this opportunity to switch wines and enjoy the Ch teau Cos d’Estournel (2006). This is a beautiful wine. I always love a good rich full bodied Bordeaux wine. On the nose, the wine is very expressive. There are aromas of rich red fruits, herbs, spice and some light touch of olive and tobacco. On the palate, there’s a good dose of red fruit and savoury spice flavours. It’s age has let in some light bitterness, charcoal and earthy notes, while some beautiful grainy tannins support the wine. I must say full marks to Singapore Airlines for choosing this amazing wine. Most airlines have a good focus on champagne but place mediocre reds on the menu, this wine was a cut above the rest.

Salad of Romaine Lettuce with a Cabernet Sauce: I am not really a fan of the salad. I do force myself to eat as much as I can (mum always told me to eat my veggies) and the Cabernet sauce probably wasn’t the right touch. I think it’s more my preference that I don’t like leafy salads. I do tend prefer salads with a mix croutons and creme sauce to add a variety of textures and striking flavours.

Lobster Thermidor: The true differentiation of Singapore Airlines is the fact you can view the menu online prior to departure and book premium dishes made to order via their Book the Cook option. Today I chose their famous Lobster Thermidor with saffron rice and asparagus. I have heard instances of this dish being overcooked, however I did want to try it myself. The dish was executed very well on this flight, especially given the inherent difficulty of doing seafood onboard. The lobster was succulent and the sauce delectably rich and creamy. The asparagus added a nice crunch with the saffron rice proved a lovely side to mop up some of that extra sauce. The Dom Perignon worked harmoniously with the dish to complete the experience.

Rum Baba: The beautiful buttery pastry oozing with sweet syrupy rum basting with berries on the side. I focus just on the pastry and avoid the ice-cream given I have had a full lunch. It proves to a epitome of comfort dining in the sky. I end the meal truly satisfied. Some lovely chocolates are offered as a post dessert treat, beautifully plated with rose petals.

THE BED
Eventually I decide to have a nap before landing in Singapore. The crew make the bed, which is super comfortable with wonderful duvet and mattress and a little cute teddy bear is provide for a nice touch. I drift off to sleep and wake-up just before the plane begins its descent into Singapore. I decide to skip the breakfast offering onboard and dine at the Private Room in Changi Airport before my next flight to London.

OVERALL
Overall I would say the Singapore Airlines 777 of all the open suite first class products is comparable to what’s offered on Cathay, JAL, Qantas, Qatar and British Airways. It’s clearly not in the same league as Singapore’s new or legacy A380 Suites product. The four seats make the cabin very private and the level of service offered is highly personalised and attentive. It’s spacious, the seat is perfect for lounging when it’s in the upright position. The seats recline is not quite as good as that on some of the other carriers. The IFE remote control is amazing and better than most of the other airlines I have traveled with and is probably par with JAL’s control system.

The food and wine selection is quite amazing. On the champagne stakes, its well ahead of most carriers with its offering of Krug and Dom Perignon except for JAL which offered Salon (now downgraded to Cristal) and Qantas’ offering of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. The wine list offered a good range of Australian and European wines and what I particularly adore is the older vintages. Ch teau Cos d’Estournel (2006) proved to be a fantastic drop.

The Book the Cook feature is a great touch to the experience and gives you a sense of control over your dining options. A little known fact is when you check the “manage your booking” section of the SQ website closer to date of departure, the full menu is uploaded for your review. It allows you to see what else is on offer and you can make an informed decision on whether to dine with Book the Cook or order from the menu.

Noting that Singapore Airlines has a great Business Class product, the caviar course offered a touch of luxury that’s a clear difference to the Business Class product. There are little touches which I think make Singapore’s First product a market leader – leather bound menus and all meals are served on bone china by Wedgwood and the cutlery and glassware were all extremely luxe.
764toHI likes this.

Last edited by ArrowFlyer; Jul 4, 2018 at 8:30 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for posting your review but why can’t you incorporate your pics / videos into your narrative. I don’t particularly want to click onto a blog

Last edited by mike&co; Mar 4, 2018 at 10:34 am
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks for posting
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
Thanks for posting your review but why can’t you incorporate your pics / videos into your narrative. I don’t particularly want to click onto a blog
Because the more traffic to a blog the more money they make.
mike&co likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
[QUOTE=FlightNurse;29487697]Because the more traffic to a blog the more money they make.[/QUO

I didn’t want to be that direct but thanks for mentioning it on my behalf
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Because the more traffic to a blog the more money they make.
I normally don´t click I have nothing against earning money, for myself I don´t have a blog as I think it´s not worth the hassle and I do it for pleasure.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=mike&co;29488667]
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Because the more traffic to a blog the more money they make.[/QUO

I didn’t want to be that direct but thanks for mentioning it on my behalf
Thanks for the comments.

Hope you enjoyed reading the trip report. I am totally cool with people not wanting to click through. But I would like to clarify that my blog is not for profit and I don’t make any money from it. I have a full time job and this is just a hobby.

The main reason for uploading the review without photos and videos is that when traveling or being in transit it is difficult to upload photos and videos (especially when its high resolution) due to WiFi speed / availability and time etc. Even most hotels with purported “free WiFi” actually throttle your speed if you’re uploading hundreds of images and videos. So rather than upload it once for the blog and then again for the forum, my preference is to upload once and refer to it.

Another (less practical) reason is that although my blog is a hobby, it is a very time consuming one and I would like the snaps and videos to be appreciated in the context of the full web page design / aesthetic created.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Thanks for posting
Thanks - much appreciated
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Thanks for the report, happy to click on the blog. Why not make money out of it?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by offerendum
I normally don´t click I have nothing against earning money, for myself I don´t have a blog as I think it´s not worth the hassle and I do it for pleasure.
IMO I hate the way this forum software displays trip reports with lots of photos. I find it very hard to read and slow to load. It is also very hard to format reports nicely. However a good blog is very easy to read.
1P likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GodAtum
IMO I hate the way this forum software displays trip reports with lots of photos. I find it very hard to read and slow to load. It is also very hard to format reports nicely. However a good blog is very easy to read.
That´s unfortunately correct
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Here is my review of the second flight of the journey:
Flight: SQ308
Class: Suites Class
Depart: Singapore
Arrive: London

The Review is below. I did take a fair few photos and some cool videos of the flight - If you want to check them out you can view them on my blog site – http://lifeofatravelczar.com/singapo...ore-to-london/

THE PRIVATE ROOM

I land in Singapore (you can view the review of previous flight on the Boeing 777 here) and I head to the Private Room for a light dinner before making my way to the transit hotel. The Private Room is hidden discretely inside the SilverKris First Class Lounge (a lounge within a lounge). It is reserved for those flying First Class on Singapore Airlines. The Private Room has a stately charm akin to a country club with over-sized leather chairs, beautiful wooden tables and luxe carpeted floors. There are great views over the tarmac as well.

As soon as I arrive, I opt to have a shower to freshen up. The bathroom and showers are at the entrance of the lounge. The showers have beautiful dark brown / cream marble with towels provided and a range of personal amenities including fragrances, combs, dental kit and body lotions. Elsewhere in the Private Room, there are a couple of workstations at the back of the lounge and a couple of small private rooms; each with a chair, ottoman and a table. Each room has a door which is ideal for private conversations or taking that important business call.

The dining room is quite an affair. There are super over-sized deep brown leather chairs, indented with large, deeply set buttons. Its super plush and sensuous touch of leather on the skin sends a little tingle down your spine. The dining room has a buffet of rather stale food which should be avoided at all cost – always go for the à la carte menu instead.

Dim Sum: I start with some dim sum selection. These are lovely little petit prawn and pork and prawn shumai dumplings which really hit the spot. They are washed down with a lovely glass of Dom Perignon (2006).

Lobster: The half lobster is served with asparagus and kipfler potatoes with some tomatoes on the side. It is actually nicely done, although I did prefer the Lobster Thermidor on my last flight. Which is odd given the lounge would have better cooking facilities.

I then head off to the Transit Hotel to have a short nap until the break of dawn. The next day I wake-up, freshen up and head back to the Private Room before my next flight. After a lovely sleep, I head back to the Private Room (dining room) and have some breakfast before my flight. I opt for the Eggs Royale and have a coffee to match with some champagne of course.

The Eggs Royale were okay. The salmon was on point, loved the crusty English muffins and the leafy spinach. However my rule on Eggs Royale is: if the yolk doesn’t escape its enslavement of the egg white pouch and run all over dish and create a mess, then it’s a non-starter. The egg was poached too much and hence the yolk was too solid for my liking.

THE SUITE

The First Class cabin on the A380 have 12 closed suites located on the lower deck of the aircraft. Notwithstanding the tenure of the product, the suites are quite luxurious. They were designed by luxury yacht designer Jean-Jacques Coste of France. The leather arm chair has a mix of dark chocolate and light cream leather upholstery from Aeristo with 81 inches of pitch and 35 inches of width. The Suite has dark wood paneling and cream fabric privacy blinds and cream coloured doors. Similar to the Boeing 777, there are no overhead storage compartments in the first class cabin so you have to store your luggage in the ottoman in front of the seat. There are also concealed storage compartments next to the 23-inch screen. Next to the seat (on the right if you’re facing the front) there are additional storage areas where they keep the Bose headphones . There is also a power port, headphone socket, USB ports and other inputs next to the storage compartment.

Inflight Entertainment: The inflight entertainment system on this aircraft starts with a 23-inch screen. The system has a substantial number of movies, TV shows, music, lifestyle and documentaries to keep you occupied. The screen resolution is crisp and bright and Bose Noise Cancelling headphones are provided for good measure. Unlike the new Boeing 777 First Class Suite, the remote control is pretty antiquated. It looks similar to a Domestic Business Class remote with no touch screen or large LCD panel. I watch Murder on the Orient Express and a few episodes of CSI Las Vegas during the flight.

CHAMPAGNE

I am offered a champagne to start and I instinctively opt for the Dom Perignon. However after a brief discussion on the selection on board with the crew I change my choice to the Krug (2004). The Krug has beautiful aromas of quinces, mandarins honeysuckle and spice. A bit more expressive than the Dom Perignon. On the palate the texture is without fault with beautiful fruit flavours of quince, honey and mandarin balanced by the acidity and unmistakable zest of citrus (lemon primarily) which eventually dominate the taste experience.

BREAKFAST

Shortly after take-off we have breakfast.

Fresh Fruit: I am not a fan of fresh fruit, I prefer my fruit intake in fermented and in liquid form. However I work my way through the paw paw, kiwi fruit and strawberries. They turn out to be rather delightful although a little too chilled. I probably would wait for them to get closer to room temperature next time before tucking in.

Braised Ee Fu Noodle with Lobster and black mushroom and leafy greens: The next dish is a real treat. Lobster on Ee Fu noodles. The lobster is succulent and tender and is braised in a light oriental sauce. There is enough seasoning and sauce without overpowering the lobster’s natural flavours. Ee Fu noodles are a Cantonese egg noodle made from wheat flower with a yellow colour and slightly chewy texture. It is an enjoyable experience.

THE BED

As the flight is quite empty, the bed is made in a different suite so as to not interrupt me during the movie. There is an interesting nuance with this seat unlike most other cabins I’ve flown. The seat and bed are actually separate. In other cabins the seat manually reclines and the bed is made on the reclined seat. In this Suite, the cabin crew has to flip the seat to make the bed and dismantle the side area which has the storage compartments. As such due the seat’s structure it’s recline features are not as attractive as other first class seats. So you are either sitting or sleeping as opposed to being able to “half lounge”

The bedding is beautiful linen with a dominated by light cream with a dark chocolate border for a soothing finish. There are matching pillows and a bolster for good measure. The enclosed cabin is very private once the blinds are drawn. The bed was really comfortable and I found myself drifting asleep.

LUNCH

After a lovely nap, I awake and head back to my seat for the lunch course.

Satay: The Satay (seasoned and grilled pieces of lamb and chicken served on skewers) is served with a a lovely peanut sauce and blocks of cucumber and sticky rice. The chicken is tender and succulent and pairs beautifully with the sauce. The single lamb skewer is actually a little tough for my liking and doesn’t quite hit the spot.

The wine I choose to pair with this dish is the Ch teau Cos d’Estournel (2006). I reviewed this wine on my last flight so here are my tasting notes from that flight: “This is a beautiful wine. I always love a good rich full bodied Bordeaux wine. On the nose, the wine is very expressive. There are aromas of rich red fruits, herbs, spice and some light touch of olive and tobacco. On the palate, there’s a good dose of red fruit and savoury spice flavours. It’s age has let in some light bitterness, charcoal and earthy notes, while some beautiful grainy tannins support the wine.”

Caviar: The caviar course offers a substantial serve of chilled Malossol Caviar with Melba toast and condiments – same as the last flight. This time the caviar is placed on the middle of the plate rather than on a spoon. Again I am offered some Russian Vodka with the caviar which I politely turn down. As we sail through the clouds, I am distracted from the caviar for a moment. There is something about gazing out of the window of a plane; your insignificance just dawns on you. It is an inextricable allure that draws your eyes to the clouds, the vastness of the blue skies and knowing everything we say, do and think is infinitesimally small in the context of the world we live in.

I turn my attention back to the caviar. The tasting notes on the caviar are the same (it’s the same product) as the last flight: “The caviar is lovely, with a fresh burst saline minerality and its natural flavour leaving an indelible impression on the palate. The crunch of Melba toast adds a lovely contrast of textures.” I pair the caviar with the Krug (2004). The Krug, with its sweet notes of honeysuckle does seamless touch the palate and contrast nicely with the intense saline flavour of the caviar, while the citrus notes balances the salts and oils to refresh the palate. It’s an experience to savour.

Soup – Chestnut Veloute: This is the dream of a soup. Unlike other soup courses which wheel out the old pumpkin or mushroom staples this one lifts the standard up a notch! There is the creamy, but with grainy touches of the chestnut and it strokes the taste buds gently before the richness of the truffle presents itself like a young debutante at the ball. Reflective in rich earthiness and pungent aroma it struts through the scene with confidence and seduction. I am truly amazed that soup course could steal the show like this.

Salad: The salad today is baby spinach and arugula and frisee with cranberry and caramelised peacan nuts and shaved parmesan with a walnut oil and sherry vinegar dressing. Again the salad isn’t that appetising, however I eat some of it. Am I the only that just eats the caramelised pecan nuts and then tells myself that I’ve eaten a healthy salad and hence can use my bonus “health” points on more wine?

Beef Fillet: I chose the Book the Cook for this flight and I opt for the U.S. Grilled Prime Beef Fillet. This is grilled U.S. beef with asparagus, baby spinach, crushed potato, and served with balsamic onion sauce. The dish is designed by Alfred Portale who sits on Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef. Now I have had a few good steaks on-board. British Airways and Qantas have done some good ones on my prior trips and Singapore Airlines is no different. The fillet is succulent, tender and true to the request it is rare in the middle. The experience of tasting the smoky outer portion of the fillet in its sauce mixed with the rare jelly like textured middle is quite an experience. The asparagus and potatoes are a treat too although probably not needed. The wine stands as it’s meant to with its beautiful rich flavours and body and the wonderful tannins to dance seamlessly with the beef in what is a dazzling performance.

I opt to skip dessert and focus my attention the Ch teau Cos d’Estournel for the rest of the flight.

OVERALL

I would say the Singapore Airlines A380 Suites was an amazing experience. It is a closed suite product which offers amazing privacy and notwithstanding its tenure, the luxurious feel (colours, design and structure) is something that’s quite unparalleled. The Private Room before take-off is quite an amazing experience. Similar to the British Airways Concorde Rooms in London and New York, it is a very quite and relaxing experience prior to take-off with limited intrusion or disturbance. The food offering is quite good and they serve some real premium wine in the lounge, which is quite rare even for First Class Lounges.

The service on the flight was highly personalised and attentive. The staff were very knowledgeable on the food, wine and the overall product. The seat is perfect for sitting when it’s in the upright position – a very comfortable leather seat which would rival other airlines. Due to the nature of suite and how it converts to a bed, the recline is rather and flexibility limited, however I am normally a sit up straight or sleep kinda person so this is less of an issue for me. The IFE remote control does need improvement as well and should be at the standard of the product offered on the Boeing 777.

I would echo my summary of the previous flight, the food and wine selection was quite something. When you have a line-up which includes Premium champagne (Krug and Dom Perignon), vintage / aged French wines (Ch teau Cos d’Estournel), caviar course, lobster for breakfast, premium US beef fillets, local favourite of satay skewers and a soup with truffles you really are going to struggle to find an experience elsewhere which matches it.

The touches which make Singapore’s First product an envy were present on the flight, including leather bound menus, meals are served on bone china by Wedgwood, fine cutlery and glassware and beautiful patterned bed linen which has better aesthetic than some five star hotels. A point note as well is the premium pyjamas and amenity kits were provided on this flight even though it was daytime flight. Some airlines refuse to offer pyjamas on daytime flights.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Here is my review of the third flight of the journey:
Class: Suites Class
Depart: London
Arrive: SIngapore

The Review is below. I did take a fair few photos and some cool videos of the flight - If you want to check them out you can view them on my blog site – https://lifeofatravelczar.com/singap...-to-singapore/

SILVERKRIS FIRST CLASS LOUNGE (LONDON)
I am in Singapore Airline’s First Class Lounge in London Heathrow about to make my way home to end my holiday. The lounge is designed by ONG&ONG, and follows Singapore Airlines’ ‘home away from home’ concept. It is not a particularly large lounge, but it has sufficient sections of space for lounging, working, dining and a couple of shower suites too.

The Dining Area
The dining area has a range of dining tables with views across the tarmac. The lounge offers à la carte dining with a pretty broad selection of Singaporean and international cuisine. The staff are all too helpful to take your order and the dining setting is the same as they have on board. For dinner tonight it’s dumplings and chicken rice paired with a few glasses of wine. There is also an extensive self-service buffet area with salads, juices, breads and sandwiches. There is a self-serve bar, but the staff will often insist on helping you pour a glass. The service here is actually pretty amazing. A broad selection of hot food and dim sums are available for self-serve as well.

The Lounge Area
There are private cubicles for those who are keen on working throughout their stay… that’s so not me! There are also a couple of private rest areas with beautiful over-sized sofa chair to unwind. A lounge room style area with a TV for viewing – although nothing really captures my interest so I leave the space for others. Singapore Airline’s trademark over-sized chair also makes an appearance in the lounge too. The lounge is pretty good, but as would be expected from a Satellite lounge it doesn’t beat The Private Room at Changi Airport. The staff are amazing, the food was pretty decent and it was the perfect spot to unwind before the flight. The staff order a buggy for me to get taken to the boarding gate.

THE SUITE
I board the flight and make my way to my suite. I start with an introductory champagne of Dom Perignon (2006) to commence proceedings. I didn’t take many photos of the suite as it was a night time flight and a full flight so it was hectic before take-off. This is the same aircraft which I flew on Singapore to London. You can check-out my pictures of the Suite on that blog post here.

Here is a description of the Suite from that post: “The First Class cabin on the A380 have 12 closed suites located on the lower deck of the aircraft. Notwithstanding the tenure of the product, the suites are quite luxurious. They were designed by luxury yacht designer Jean-Jacques Coste of France. The leather arm chair has a mix of dark chocolate and light cream leather upholstery from Aeristo with 81 inches of pitch and 35 inches of width. The Suite has dark wood paneling and cream fabric privacy blinds and cream coloured doors.

Similar to the Boeing 777, there are no overhead storage compartments in the first class cabin so you have to store your luggage in the ottoman in front of the seat. There are also concealed storage compartments next to the 23-inch screen. Next to the seat (on the right if you’re facing the front) there are additional storage areas where they keep the Bose headphones. There is also a power port, headphone socket, USB ports and other inputs next to the storage compartment.”

DINNER
Champagne
I opt for the Dom Perignon on this flight and they pour a glass prior to take off. This was the same champagne offered on the prior flights, here is my tasting note: “On the nose, there was the alluring touch of floral blossoms and faint candied fruits with some nutty hints.” “On the palate there are good citrus notes, a vivacious acidity and a creamy and silky texture which leaves a sensuous impression on the palate and a little tingle down your spine. The finish leaves a hint of salinity and bitter lemon pip which is quite interesting.”

Shortly after take-off dinner is served with a full course meal rather than just a supper!

Caviar
For the first course I opt for the Chilled Malossol Caviar with Melba toast and condiments.The caviar is the same as what was served on my flight over to London. The plating is slightly different. The caviar has a rich saline minerality, beautiful grainy texture and a taste which lingers on the palate. I scoop little bits onto the Melba toast and pair primarily with the crushed eggs for a fuller experience. It really is quite a sensation. The Dom Perignon danced with the caviar like Prince and Princess!

Soup
The next course is a Chinese Oxtail Soup with Wolfberries and Flower Mushrooms. Generally soup courses on flights are a bit “meh” with simple pumpkins or cauliflower bases, but Singapore Airlines really hits the nail on the head. This time it’s an oxtail soup which has rich saline hit of the oxtail with the unami of mushrooms and the wolfberries do give a mild sweet but tangy aftertaste. It is a well-rounded ying yang experience.

Lobster Thermidor
The next dish is the Lobster Thermidor with grilled asparagus, roasted diced herbed tomato and fingerling potatoes. The true differentiation of Singapore Airlines is the fact you can view the menu online prior to departure and book premium dishes made to order via their Book the Cook option and this was my selection on this flight.

The dish is less aesthetically presented as the Lobster Thermidor on my flight from Sydney to Singapore (you can check out that review here). The sauce is dripping over the lobster and the tomatoes and potatoes are less appealing than the perfectly moulded saffron rice. However the lobster itself is executed pretty well. Quite a feat given the difficulty in pulling off a dish like this in the sky. It’s soft, tender and perfect on the palate. The sauce is a little different to the first lobster I had on Singapore Airlines. This sauce was creamier and have a greater spice flavour to it. The Dom Perignon’s acidity and flourish was perfect to cut through the richness of the lobster and the citrus notes blended quite nicely in the finish.

Dessert
For the dessert I opt for a Warm Chocolate Walnut Bread-Butter Pudding with Milk Ice Cream and Mixed Berries. I am not normally a dessert person, but this one did hit the spot. It was the sort of dessert you’d have in a snow-capped cabin after a long day of hunting. The rich warm chocolate and creamy doughy bread & butter pudding is a treat. The walnut crunch is a beautiful textural touch and for an extra hit of indulgence the ice cream adds a chilled sensation to the experience, while the mixed berries do lull me into the false sense that I have eaten a healthy dish.

I switch wines to the Ch teau Cos d’Estournel (2006). Again it’s the same wine I had on my earlier flight to London. Here is my tasting note: “On the nose, the wine is very expressive. There are aromas of rich red fruits, herbs, spice and some light touch of olive and tobacco. On the palate, there’s a good dose of red fruit and savoury spice flavours. Its age has let in some light bitterness, charcoal and earthy notes, while some beautiful grainy tannins support the wine.”

THE AMENITY KIT AND PYJAMAS
On this flight I’m provided with the Unisex Amenity Kit which is black but with a touch femininity. The kit is less usable on the flight with an apparent focus on home and travel. There are two “home products”, a Lalique candle (which has strict instructions not to be lit on the flight), a scented soap (which given there no showers on board can’t be used) and then some more practical items (a lip balm and body lotion). All amenity products in this kit are from their Neroli range. The kit also include a miniature ornamental crystal fish from Lalique. The PJs are from Lalique and are super comfortable.

THE BED
The bedding is beautiful linen with a dominated by light cream with a dark chocolate border for a soothing finish. There are matching pillows and a bolster for good measure. Its pitch black outside as we continue across Europe to Singapore, so once I turn off the reading lights I’m off to bed.

My eyes awake from my deep sleep only to find the sun’s rays of morning light piercing the cabin windows.I pause for a moment of reflection as I gaze at the infiniteness of the skies from the window. At 30,000 ft above the world’s deepest oceans, the expansive desert plains, the tallest mountain peaks and the largest cities; you have a sense of being lost but found at the same time. You realise how insignificant and small you are in this world, but at the same time in the vastness of this amazing world, you are unique and not replicable – there is simply no one else like you out there.

BREAKFAST
The crew carefully make the bed made and set the table for breakfast. In that moment I feel a little lost; jet lagged, disorientated and the blue skies and clouds offer me no insight on where I am. Finally the breakfast arrives and I have chosen the Citrus French Toast with Mascarpone Cream and Strawberry Salad.

The morning light pierces the cabin to gently lift my eyelids. The beauty of the clouds and blue skies a watercolour. My gaze is interrupted by the waft of the freshly brewed cappuccino and piping hot French toast. I aid the awakening of my senses with the flow of caffeine through my veins and gaze longingly at the dish. The smoky texture of the charred toast lands crisply on the palate it’s impact quickly softened by the rich doughy buttery centre.

I lick my lips with a lover’s desire before scooping some of the strawberry salad to provide beautiful sweet sensation to match. The dish proves alluring aesthetically as it is decadent. The moment deserves a signature finish; so to offset my alertness from the caffeine, I lift the glass of Dom Perignon to my longing lips. Its light golden flow embraces my tongue, dulling the senses but letting its vivacious minerality and citrus touch my palate and soul to sign-off this perfect moment forever.

THE LANDING
Once breakfast is over, I just relax as the flight continues gazing at the magic of the clouds from the suite. Of course one should never be lonely on a flight, so I choose a bottle of the Ch teau Cos d’Estournel (2006) as in flight companion as the flight continues toward the peak of descent. As we land into Singapore, the setting sun turns the skies a beautiful pastel. There’s something so magical about the experience as the plane cuts through the clouds revealing a pastel sunset and the beautiful islands surrounding Singapore.

OVERALL
Traveling on Singapore Airlines A380 Suites is an amazing experience. I would echo most of the sentiments from my prior flight with some tweaks. It is a closed suite product which offers amazing privacy the luxe feel one should have in First Class. The service on the flight was highly personalised and attentive – although not as attentive as Singapore to London given it was a full flight. Part of this meant that the staff displayed less knowledge around the food and wine as items were served quickly and efficiently with less chatter. Again, the seat is perfect for sitting when it’s in the upright position but due the mechanical nature of suite and how it converts to a bed, the recline is rather and flexibility limited.

The food and wine selection was quite something. I enjoyed premium champagne (Dom Perignon), almost had a bottle of very fine vintage French wine (Ch teau Cos d’Estournel) by myself, the caviar course was on point, the lobster well executed, a rich oxtail soup, chocolate bread and butter pudding and of course can one ever beat a delightful French toast for breakfast with a glass of champagne.

The fine bone china by Wedgwood, cutlery and glassware and beautiful patterned bed linen which are a feature of their product just stands out. I loved the amenity kit, even if the candle was not useful on the flight, and the PJs were super comfy. So I don’t think you can compare many other airline’s first class offering to Singapore – it is quite exquisite.
764toHI likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Here is my review of the fourth and final flight of the journey:
Class: First Class
Depart: Singapore
Arrive: Sydney

The Review is below. I did take a fair few photos and some cool videos of the flight - If you want to check them out you can view them on my blog site – https://lifeofatravelczar.com/singapore-airlines-first-class-singapore-to-sydney/

I land in Singapore after the long-haul flight in from London. I make my way to one of the most amazing lounge’s in the world; The Private Room. This is the final leg of my trip and it’s oh so sad.

THE PRIVATE ROOM
I reviewed the lounge on my first leg from Singapore to London (review is above). Given the transit time, I pretty much just went straight to the dining area.

Assorted Satay
I start with the Satay. This dish is seasoned and grilled pieces of chicken, mutton and beef served on skewers. The dish is wonderful with a lovely spicy peanut sauce and blocks of cucumber and sticky rice. Some of the meats are little tough but when paired with the peanut sauce it doesn’t matter – the sauce is so delicious.

U.S Prime Beef Burger
Next I have the U.S Prime Beef Burger with portobello mushroom and onion jam with a quail egg. The beef is moist and full of its natural juices, it’s quite a treat, the quail egg was a lovely touch for aesthetics plus its rich yolk went pretty nicely with the beef. The sweet smokiness of the onion jam and earthiness of the mushroom was a splendid dance partner for the beef. I didn’t quite take to the bun, but it gave me the option to skip it and avoid the carbs. A nice dish which was paired with Ch teau Léoville Poyferré (2007) which had beautiful rich red fruits and currant flavours and some lovely velvety tannins to deal with the beef.

The Lobster
For my final dish I have the wok-fried lobster with braised wonton noodles paired with a glass of Dom Perignon (2006). This would have to be my favourite dish in The Private Room. The lobster is succulent and full of its beautiful flavours with a light creme sauce. The wonton noodles prove equally dreamy and of course the vivacious acidity and citrus of the Dom Perignon cut through the dish’s richness like a sharp blade.

THE FLIGHT
Eventually the boarding call chimes and I make my way out of the lounge and onto the aircraft. After take-off, it’s time for bed. It’s late and I’m so tired from my whole trip and the long haul from London. So, I have a few glass of the Dom Perignon and ask for the bed to be made as the plane jets across the Indian Ocean towards the Australian mainland. The crew make the bed, which is super comfortable with wonderful duvet and mattress.

It’s a late morning arrival and I ordered through Book the Cook – I definitely recommend it for overnight flights as the menu on these flights are pretty sub-par. I chose the lamb loin ahead of time and overheard other passengers moaning about the lack of choice on the menu.

Fruit Platter
The fruit platter is something refreshing to start with. There’s a paw paw, kiwifruit and some berries. It’s quite chilled in temperature but does give enough of a sweet kick to start the morning.

Seared Lamb loin with salsa verde, Lyonnaise onion, aioli and bacon
The lamb loin is an interesting dish. It’s well cooked but I would have to say lacks the dazzle of the other Book the Cook dishes. It’s tender with the flavours of the jus resonating with the palate. The vegetables on the side are crisp and fresh but nothing spectacular. I wasn’t a fan of the bacon but the onions were on point.

One of the best moments of the flight was actually having lunch in bed. The cabin crew obliged leaving the bed in place and setting the table for lunch. It is a lazy luxury moment in the sky.

OVERALL
Overall I would reiterate my review from the first 777 flight which was from Sydney to Singapore (I recommend checking out that review as it’s a lot more comprehensive – you read it above). Singapore Airlines 777 of all the open suite first class products is comparable to what’s offered on Cathay, JAL, Qantas, Qatar and British Airways. It’s obviously nowhere near Singapore’s new or legacy A380 Suites product. However, I would advise against overnight flights. I had no option but to take this flight as I needed to be back in Sydney, but overnight flights have fewer menu choices, limited service from the crew and an inability to enjoy the full benefits of the airlines. Plus it’s less instagrammable – but nonetheless a beautiful flight and a great way to end the holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.