Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Petra, Cairo and Mileage Running for... BA Gold?!? Have I finally lost my mind?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Petra, Cairo and Mileage Running for... BA Gold?!? Have I finally lost my mind?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Ad LH: I do love Henriot '98... Good reason to go back. However their weak point is that they seldom offer decent Pinot Noir wines. Up in the air they might seem "too weak", but there sure should be some decent full-bodied ones out there? Also: Lustau will redefine your opinion of sherry...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Honolulu Admirals Club/Sakura Lounge

With 75 minutes before I had to reboard, I headed to the Admirals Club which also doubles as JAL's Sakura Lounge.

Strange location tucked in between shops and a restaurant. The lounge itself is pretty basic although the staff was wonderful as always.

After an hour of work with functioning Wifi, I headed back to the gate to reboard.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Back to LAX...

Honolulu HNL to Los Angeles LAX
American AA 284
A321
3:40p-11:29p (sked)
3:35p-10:55p (actual)
February 28, 2018
Seat 1C (moved from Seat 3A)

I had originally selected the same 3A as my inbound, but I was concerned that AA could repair the collapsing tray table issue. I didn't want some overzealous AA employee taking 3AC out of service for the return. So on the taxi in, I changed seat assignment to the only unassigned seat... 1C, the worst seat in then cabin. Actually, not sure it even qualifies as in the cabin. More like "in the galley." Yeah, that's really pleasant. Fortunately, I know travel with a baseball cap to block out the harsh overhead lighting.

And then there was our crew tonight. I've seen senior FAs before, but this duo took the prize. When they talk about their great grandkids, you know they're old. Yikes. And with enough seniority to only work LAX-HNL.

Decades of service and you'd think someone along the way might have thought... "you know why don't I draw the curtain to hide the crap going on in galley" from the customers. LOL. Ya right.

Showtime, AA style.

OK, the meal actually looks good,

Absolutely, no idea what this was. Olive, ginger and maybe pork? Whatever it was, it was pretty tasty.

Small salad with pineapple dressing was nice.

For my main, I had pre-ordered the braised short ribs...

wwere

...which we very good.

Yeah, that makes a really nice impression.

We arrived 30 minutes early at Terminal 4, so I had a hike to the T5/6 garage since the T4 garage was full this morning.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 22, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Well, I wrote 5 years ago: Tape saves the world....
Indeed.

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Glad you had some good flights. The AA flight to HNL was equipped with wifi, it was just broken - hence the notifications advertising its (expected!) availability.
Also, your BA seats were likely blocked by the BA super computer due to your status, rather than a lounge agent - it's a nice perk for status holders, especially with their high density seating and the fact the A380 seat dividers can be down for a l-o-n-g time (usually down when the in seat power is off, which covers the time circling in holds and taxiing on the ground - which can be high at Heathrow!). Best part of the Emirates new suite has to be the temperature control - how hard would it be for other airlines to add this in?
Thank you 710. Good to know about BA blocked adjacent seats for elite. Don't think wifi was broken and AA CS confirmed. The aircraft was a equipped with Gogo's land based system so no service to Hawaii.

Originally Posted by kosy91
It will only happen if an airline chooses to introduce fully closed suites/bedrooms. Don't see too many airlines rushing to implement this
The Residence had the opportunity to introduce this. Anyone know if their bedroom has temp control?
Agree that it's not going to happen any time soon. I don't believe that EY's Residence has climate control since it doesn't have floor to ceiling doors like the new EK First. I guess the bedroom could since it's enclosed. Not sure.

Originally Posted by apodo77
New FC on Emirates loooks amazing. Glad to see you are a Jack Reacher fan. One of my favorite series of fiction books.
Thanks very much apodo77. Yes, big Jack Reacher and Lee Child fan. ^

Originally Posted by HMPS
SFO777 Thanks for drawing my attention to the Nouvelle Height Cuisine on BA Club World ! I ahave traveled some but never sampled it....Now after shunning BA for a very long time I must return to sample the "Height Cuisine". Wonder what would Julia Child or Gordon Ramsey would say. We have done Petra & Wadi Rum. SPECTACULAR. Was during winter but was still very hot. Your photos are better. How can we appeal to the Princess to let you have longer Hall Passes?
A beef with you...if I knew you were going to be at ORD, would have loved to host you.
Thank you HMPS. I was pleasantly surprised about how good my BA food was. If I overnight in ORD, I'll let you know for sure.

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Great trip report, as always. I also booked the CAI-HNL and will commence my trip in a few weeks so your trip report is very helpful. Safe travels. PS. Your lovely pictures from Petra makes me want to visit that place again
Thanks so much thefilipinotraveler. Glad to help. Enjoy your CAI-HNL run.

Originally Posted by The Viking
Ad LH: I do love Henriot '98... Good reason to go back. However their weak point is that they seldom offer decent Pinot Noir wines. Up in the air they might seem "too weak", but there sure should be some decent full-bodied ones out there? Also: Lustau will redefine your opinion of sherry...
Thank you The Viking. Agree about the lack of quality with much of the rest of the LH wine list.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO777 As a public service you need to send the wonderful usefulness of Duct Tape !You have PM.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LAX Flagship First Dining and AA First from LAX to JFK

Another gorgeous SoCal morning and I'm off to LAX to continue my CAI-HNL ticket and progress to my BA Gold. But instead of returning to Cairo, I've changed that trip to September and my next year BA qualification. So today, it's LAX-JFK and then JFK-BOS-LAX on a separate ticket to get me over the 1,500 Tier Point threshold for BA Gold.

And yet another LAX traffic bottleneck as a dozen LAPD cops were checking vehicle and profiling passengers driving to the terminals.

Lots of parking spaces on the ground floor of the T4 garage.

A month later, this escalator is still not working.

The PreCheck escalator was clogged with a bunch of mainland Chinese pax who inexplicably had PreCheck access. I exited and used the Flagship check-in where a great porter espcorted me to the from of the PreCheck line and conveyor. That was worth a $20 tip.

I checked in downstairs and received my Dining invite.

Love the period celebrity photos that line the hallway to Flagship First Dining.

Nice first impression with an impressive bar and communal work table.

Not a big fan of the thick partitions and the two tops squeezed against said partition.

More two tops against the wall. And the good seats by the window are too sunny in the morning.

Since I arrived at around 9:15am, it was still breakfast time and the Breakfast Menu.

Service was pleasant... but more friendly and adequate than excellent like JFK.

The Steak, Eggs, Frites sounded great. OK, that sure doesn't look very appetizing. What chef in his right mind would like think this looks good?? And where is the Steak?

OMG, this was disgusting. All I could eat were the eggs, after brushed off the sauce. The short ribs were just plain gross. And the "crispy potatoes" weren't even close to be crispy. They were soft... just you get them on any AA inflight meal. I'm betting that the kitchen made a big batch early in the morning and then just served all morning from that.

I sent it back and with time running out, went with just the House-made Toasted Coconut Granola with apricot guava compote and Greek yogurt. I sure didn't see any granola as this was basically a smoothie. Jeez.

OK, not a good first First Dining impression. Maybe it was the B team in the kitchen for breakfast and maybe it's all still new. Hopefully, the All Day menu is better... or it's back to the QF lounge.

Before I headed to the gate, I checked out the regular part of the crowded Flagship Lounge.

Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

American First Class to JFK

At T-35, I headed downstairs for the short walk to Gate 42B.

Los Angeles LAX to New York JFK
American AA 172
A321T
10:45a-7:19p
March 19, 2018
Seat 3F

After multiple paging of passengers and 4 Concierge Key membets, boarding started at T-25 with Concierge Key, although none of them stepped forward to board.

Multiple pillow/blanket sets at each F seat.

Apparently cabin cleaning no longer includes the exposed counter tops.

Not sure if this was an FA thing or new #GoingForGreat directive, but pre departure beverages are now served in plastic.

Today's menu...

And wine list which shockingly featured two $30 bottles plus a couple of more typicAAl $10 and a $20.

And we're off...

Despite the plastic PDB issue, overall excellent service today by our NY-based First Class FA Beth, who asked whether I'd like the can.

Showtime, AA style.

Nothing says AA First Class than plastic salt and pepper shakers. Hey, at least they're not paper packets.

The sourdough roll was warm and delicious.

The Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Timbale was quite good.

The Drouhin Pouilly-Vinzelles was a meh, although its room temp probably didn't help. It actally tasted better watered down and cooled by ice from my Diet Coke. LOL.

For my main, I chose the Thai Beef Red Curry with stir fried veggies and coconut rice. Nice presentation...

... and was quite tasty despite the beef being pretty well done.

Mid flight snack from the snack basket. Panna from the Flagship Lounge.

And warm chocolate chip cookie about an hour out.

On descent to JFK on a beautiful evening.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com...

American First Class to Chicago
United Polaris Lounge at ORD
Lufthansa First Class to Frankfurt
Lufthansa First Class Terminal
Lounge Hopping at BRU
Emirates amazing new First Class Suites to Dubai
Emirates First Class Lounge A Gates
Emirates First Class to Amman
Day trip to Petra
Royal Jordanian Crown Lounge at AMM
Royal Jordanian Business Class to Cairo
Le Meridien Cairo Airport
Terminal 2 First and Business Class Lounge at CAI
British Airways A321 (lie flat) Club World to London
BA Lounges at LHR
British Airways A380 Club World to LAX
American Flagship Lounge at LAX
American First Class to Honolulu
Admirals Club/Sakura Lounge at HNL
American First Class to LAX
American Flagship First Dining at LAX
American Flagship First Class LAX-JFK

New installments on SFO777.com
American Flagship First Dining at JFK
American First Class JFK-BOS
Hilton Boston Logan Airport

Still to come...
• American First Class BOS-LAX​​ ​​​​(Executive Club Gold Qualifying Flight)

• British Airways Club World to LHR
• British Airways A321 (lie flat) Club World to Cairo
nequine likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 22, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Dressing in plastic? Why do they always this little faults.....
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Wow, I didn’t know they had the Raymond cab Sauvignon. It’s really nice and a cool vineyard/story behind it. Have a great private tasting room in Napa.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SFO777
Apparently this flight attendant felt the need to advertise her DOB.

Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:05 pm

SFO777 You remind me of how we used to refer to the FAs on Air India. Their union was / is very strong. They would work till they were well past 50s. Were / are pretty straightforward and argumentative with pax. Would refuse to assist old/frail people to put the the carry on in the bin etc...They were nicknamed " Auntie". ( All those older to you are referred to as uncles & aunties) Haven't flown with them for a long while.)
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MickV
Wow, I didn’t know they had the Raymond cab Sauvignon. It’s really nice and a cool vineyard/story behind it. Have a great private tasting room in Napa.
Thanks MickV. I was pretty surprised to see more than crAApy $10 wines on AA domestic.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Apparently this flight attendant felt the need to advertise her DOB.
LOL. Excellent. ^

Originally Posted by HMPS
SFO777 You remind me of how we used to refer to the FAs on Air India. Their union was / is very strong. They would work till they were well past 50s. Were / are pretty straightforward and argumentative with pax. Would refuse to assist old/frail people to put the the carry on in the bin etc...They were nicknamed " Auntie". ( All those older to you are referred to as uncles & aunties) Haven't flown with them for a long while.)
Ha. Thanks HMPS. The funniest thing was after accepting that the plane was staffed with geriatric cabin crew, up walks a very attractive 30-something blond FA from Economy. After I got over the shock, I did take a couple of pics but decided not to post as I couldn't figure out how to incorporate the pic into the report without getting into trouble.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks MickV. I was pretty surprised to see more than crAApy $10 wines on AA domestic.

LOL. Excellent. ^

Ha. Thanks HMPS. The funniest thing was after accepting that the plane was staffed with geriatric cabin crew, up walks a very attractive 30-something blond FA from Economy. After I got over the shock, I did take a couple of pics but decided not to post as I couldn't figure out how to incorporate the pic into the report without getting into trouble.
How about a caption " At AA we span generations to serve you" !
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Quick Q about using one status while flying crediting to another. You mentioned using your AA status in LHR but crediting to BA, how did you do that? Did you just show your OWE card?

I'm in a similar situation this week. I'm on an AA ticket that I want to credit to AA, but want to use my BA perks.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
A very enjoyable read as always, SFO777 - and welcome to BA Gold!

The breakfast on your LAX-ORD sector does look OK for AA!

The more I see United’s Polaris lounges, the more I like the look of them. They’ve done well to distance themselves from their normal United Club lounge design.

I’ve always liked the look of LH’s F cabins (at least since the change from the blue paired seating!), but the seats still appear to be quite open and lacking in privacy. Henriot is rather unimpressive for international F. The burger main course is also pretty poor, at least visually. The LH F ground experience at FRA continues to look pretty decent what with the FCT and car transfers to remote stands; it almost makes you actually want a remote stand!

I commented on the new EK F product in your separate report before realising it was part of this report, so won’t repeat those comments here. I find the EK lounges at DXB Concourse A to be a little impersonal. Admittedly I’ve only visited the Business Class lounge, but it was almost too spacious. The tartan chairs in the dining area look a little out of place. EK’s old F product on the 77W looks pretty dated and way too blingy for my taste, but it’s still an impressive product for a 3-hour flight!

Nice images of Petra - looks like a great use of your stopover time in Amman.

The RJ lounge looks OK, but would probably be nicer in the daylight when the rather austere terminal ceiling wasn’t so obvious. The catering on your AMM-CAI sector is very impressive for such a short flight - I love the table cloth in particular!

As airport hotels go the Le Meridien at CAI looks pretty decent, although that’s more than can be said for the third party lounge BA uses at the airport.

You got the old Club World soft product on both the CAI-LHR and LHR-LAX flights; the new amenity kits, bedding and catering are a real step up. The divider between Club World seats can be raised straight after the safety video has played, so you don’t have to stare at your neighbours for either takeoff or landing. I agree the design of the seats is well past its use-by date though; new direct aisle access Club World seats are (finally!) coming with BA’s first A350 in the next 6 months or so.

AA have done an OK job with their new Flagship lounges, but they appear to suffer from overcrowding now that 3-class J passengers and oneworld Sapphire members are allowed access. The space at LAX is particularly small in comparison to the JFK lounge. The Flagship First Dining product is the only ‘exclusive’ thing about Flagship lounges these days, although it’s a shame that the catering wasn’t good at LAX. I agree with you about the thick dividers in the LAX lounge. I haven’t tried AA’s Flagship First Dining product yet, but the BA Concorde Room at JFK is worthy of a challenger to the ‘best lounge in the country’ label - with the LAX QF First lounge coming a close second in my opinion.

The catering on the LAX-HNL sector looks pretty poor for such a long domestic flight, although slightly better on the return sector. I don’t have an issue with older cabin crew provided they can safely and professionally carry out their duties; there’s no excuse not to close the galley curtain though (although on AA I guess it’s more of a veil anyway).

I remain unimpressed with AA’s catering, even in 3-class F on the LAX-JFK sector; the options are essentially the same as in J on that route, just plated and presented differently. I didn’t know the A321T operated JFK-BOS. I might have to give that a try!
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.