Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Petra, Cairo and Mileage Running for... BA Gold?!? Have I finally lost my mind?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Petra, Cairo and Mileage Running for... BA Gold?!? Have I finally lost my mind?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Cannot WAIT to see what you think of BA J!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
What was the reason for going for BA Gold as your second OWE? To get lounge access when flying American domestically?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Day Trip to Petra

We headed off for the 3 hour drive to Petra just after 10am. This is one boring and bumpy ride. But Maher had reasonably good wifi on board.

Maher stopped at a little food stand along the way and bought us lunch... very tasty pesto and sesame flatbread.

Two hours later, we're at the Petra exit. Also for the Montreal Hotel. LOL.

Another hour later, we arrive in Petra.

Where Maher handed us of to our local Petra guide Ali, for our three hours six mile walk thru specrtacular old Petra.

And finally, the iconic Treasury.

We left Petra just after 4pm for the drive back to Amman. Sheep have the right of way here. LOL.

An exhausting but exhilarating day in one of the most fascinating places on the planet.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Amman Queen Alia International Airport

We arrived at Amman airport just before 7pm, some 3+ hours before my Amman-Cairo flight.

While batmandds went to the Emirates counter, I headed to Door 1 and check in for Royal Jordanian Crown Class.

Wow, this is pretty cool... civilized sit down check in like SQ or EY First.

I was offered private security and passport control but opted to head for the main part of the terminal to check on batmandds who had been unable to OLCI and had to try to find someone to issue his boarding pass... nearly 7 hours before his 1:45am departure.

Despite the sign, no luck checking in.

So we bid adieu and I headed for passport and security, while he headed for Starbucks on the arrivals level.

Not a lot of signage but miraculously I finally found the entrance to the Crown Lounge... although only after asking an RJ staffer.

The lounge is quite attractive and huge... spanning both sides of the mezzanine level of the departures concourse.

With great views of the retails stores on the lower level.

I had planned to shower before grabbing a bite to eat... but that wasn;'t going to happen.

After setting up shop in a quiet area of the lounge, I headed over to the dining area.

Pretty weak selection of food offerings.

Although my selections were quite tasty.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 2, 2018 at 6:37 am
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by our_kid
Love Jordan - fabulous people. Petra is amazing. great TR as ever SFO777
Thanks very much our_kid.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Oh, not so sure I will be surprised.... I had good and not-so-good experiences with BA-F.
Me too, but mostly not-so-good.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here! Here! This is especially true if you get to enjoy your flights from the vantage point of an international First Class cabin. Pragmatism be darned!
As to crazy - maybe like a fox. After all, you can never have too many miles!
Thank you Seat 2A.

Originally Posted by iaflyer
It's great what some research and careful spending can get you enough miles to burn for great products like this. I'm looking forward to the LHR-LAX on the A380 in J - I've got a trip like that coming up, interested to see what their J product is like.
Originally Posted by smit0847
Cannot WAIT to see what you think of BA J!
Thanks very much iaflyer and smith0847. How about 50/50? One good and one not-so-go. Unfortunately, the A380 J is a really crappy product,

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
What was the reason for going for BA Gold as your second OWE? To get lounge access when flying American domestically?
Good question darthlemsip. It's actually going to be my OWE replacement at a fraction of the cost of EXP. After a nice 10 year run as EXP, I will not even try to re-qualify this year as I've dumped AA and decided to play the field. Indeed, any BA Gold will give me Admirals Club but especially Flagship Lounge (LAX, ORD, JFK) access flying when flying AA in NA. Even though Silver and OWR now gets access, I figured it wasn't much more for Gold... so why not.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Wonderful trip report. LOVED the photos of Petra. Did I miss how you made it to the Treasury? Did you walk or take alternate transportation?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Wonderful trip report. LOVED the photos of Petra. Did I miss how you made it to the Treasury? Did you walk or take alternate transportation?
Thanks so much aquamarinesteph. Petra was stunning. We walked the entire time, all 6+ miles including to the Treasury and beyond.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Royal Jordanian Business Class to Cairo

At around T-50, I headed for Gate 104.

Amman AMM to Cairo CAI
Royal Jordanian RJ 507
Embraear 175 (E75)
10:25pm-11:55pm
February 19, 2018
Departed 3/12
Seat 1F

Boarding was announced at 9:50pm, with Crown Class and One World elites invited to board.

The long, long walk...

On board, the usual 1-2 premium seating.

But much nicer seats than AA offers... and foot rests.

Our purser on tonight's flight who with a colleague provided excellent service.

Pre departure beverages including Arabic coffee...

... and bottled water.

LOL on the ash tray. It was indeed a non smoking flight but in Jordan, you never know.

I had no idea what to expect on this short 50 minute but Showtime, RJ style. and with my classy cabin mate. Yikes, that's gross.

Wow, a full meal on a 50 minute flight at 10:25pm.

A hot and cold mezze platter, all of which was excellent.

... including a delicious salad with feta.

Our descent into CAI.

We landed 50 miunutes after take-off but then taxied for what seemed an eternity before parking at remote stand.

A short bus ride later and we were in arrivals. After the recommendations from Flyertalk CAI experts, I booked a room at the airport Le Meridien which offers complimentary meet and greet service. Indeed, the hotel Meet & Greet rep was waiting with my name on a sign board. He directed me to one of the bank counters to purchase my Egyptian visa, and then wisked me thru passport control...

... and baggage claim, making sure that the hotel van was on its way to pick me. Wow, what amazing service and all complimentary. Gratuities appreciated of course.

I only had to wait a couple of minutes for the van to arrive, and was at the hotel 3 minutes after that.

After all the negative stories I read about RJ, I really enjoyed my night with Royal Jordanian. Modern AMM airport, pleasant lounge, excellent flight and outstanding service. And at only 9,000 Avios, one of the best uses of my BA Avios bank.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 4, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the fantastic photos of Petra!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Petra is a great experience
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Le Meridien Cairo Airport

After the security bag check at the entrance, easy check-in at the front desk where my Gold status got me Executive Club floor and lounge access, a pretty sweet deal for only 4,000 SPG points for the night.

Very nice room.

The view from my room...

... with the club lounge next door...

... where I headed for breakfast.

Downstairs in the lobby waiting for the T2 shuttle.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 4, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since this was my first time in Cairo, I decided to head for the terminal with plenty on time. I arrived around 7:15a for my 9:25a flight...

... and discovered that I was way too early. Not much activity this morning.

The BA counter. There was no one in the Club World/Priority line so I got to agent immediately, Pleasant agent but I had completely forgotten about the enhanced electronics ban for BA flight to LHR. As on no laptops, no ipads, no power cords. Ugh.

I excused myself to sort my bag and pack my laptop, ipad and camera in my carry on. Then returned to the counter to apprehensively watch my life disappear down the baggage belt and chute. OK, I'll just pick it up at JFK and all will be welll... or so I thought.

Deserted passport control.

The long walk to security.

Hardly anyone here as well.

I followed the signs for the Lounges.

More walking and more signs. We couldn't find a more convenient place for a lounge?

Finally, the Lounge. Jeez, I walked all the way for this??

I had a good laugh about this place with another BA passenger, who suggested that we head for Starbucks. But not before we had to retrace our steps and go thru a security check. OK, that was so bizarre.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 5, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Wow at the fantastic photos of Petra!
Thank you so much nequine.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Petra is a great experience
+1
Thanks offerendum.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:34 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow looks like another great experience!

Even with all my flying, I would be nervous about booking so many separate tickets close together. Do you have a general strategy in terms of flight delays / cancellations? Or is it a play by ear situation like when you were departing / leaving the Maldives a few years back?

Enjoying the report as always.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by SFO777
Amman Queen Alia International Airport

Wow, this is pretty cool... civilized sit down check in like SQ or EY First.

Sit down check in for OW Sapphire AND Ruby? Isnt that a bit too generous?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.