Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

TP Crawl Down Under: TLV to PER (via HKG & SIN) on CX, SQ & QF in Y!

TP Crawl Down Under: TLV to PER (via HKG & SIN) on CX, SQ & QF in Y!

Old Feb 24, 18, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
But it needs a good clean.

Enjoying this TR!! Thank you.
Thanks roadwarrier; nice feedbacks are always welcome

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post

Not only the mirror if Im right
Well, the plane was tired but quite clean, if I remember correctly

I see now that I did not post the menu for the flight so here it is, although I had the special meal. Anyway, this is by far the most fancy menu I ever had (I wonder how the first class one looks )

And since we're here, here is the inbound menu:

The TR is no longer live but keep on following it as I still have to find my way back to TLV

More soon....
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:03 am

I spoke to someone at the Hong Kong Airport who told me that many prefer to fly on El Al because of the security. I also saw an LY plane take off and another one was parked in a remote spot maybe for the night. Two Hainan planes at Ben Gurion is impressive. LOL.

On a 14 hour flight on CX from Hong Kong to New York we only had 2 meals but it was enough.

Last edited by Bretteee; Feb 25, 18 at 11:10 am
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee View Post
I spoke to someone at the Hong Kong Airport who told me that many prefer to fly on El Al because of the security. I also saw an LY plane take off and another one was parked in a remote spot maybe for the night. Two Hainan planes at Ben Gurion is impressive. LOL.

On a 14 hour flight on CX from Hong Kong to New York we only had 2 meals but it was enough.
Whether LY is safer than other airlines or not is a question that relates in my view mostly to psychology since there is a logical-loop at play here: LY (presumably) has the highest level of security because it has also the highest level of risk.

And speaking of which, LY just got its third B789 (4X-EDC) that is going to operate the HKG flights from March 3. This will fill somewhat the gap between LY and CX although reviews of LY's new 789s are not so good, especially regrading the J hard product.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Feb 26, 18 at 4:52 am
Old Feb 25, 18, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Perth

I would not pretend that I had much time to experience the city as I spent most of the time at the conference. Here's some of us having lunch at the dining hall of St. Catherine's College:

For some reason we weren't seated at the High Table

For me the most noticeable things about Australia was the abundance of Eucalypti, like these for example:

Israel is filled with them as they were brought to the Middle East in the late 19th century in order to drain swamps and battle malaria. We were always told that they were brought from Australia and I am now convinced it is no lie

I also enjoyed this panoramic, even if uninspiring, view out of my window at the Novotel

And for the first time I used the unusual down under electrical plug that I bought many years ago:

Alas, I seem to have lost it somewhere in between Perth and Singapore, as you will read in a few posts time

Finally, I could not resists these posters at the central bus station; it turns out that Perth has a Department of Escalating Safety Well, each country and its problems Take a look at the great combination of graphics and practical poetry:

That's all for now, mates.
Old Feb 26, 18, 4:49 am
Hut

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad View Post
Finally, I could not resists these posters at the central bus station; it turns out that Perth has a Department of Escalating Safety Well, each country and its problems Take a look at the great combination of graphics and practical poetry:
Haha, yes their marketing team is pretty good, I'm waiting to see their take on the intermittent self-immolating bus situation...
Old Feb 26, 18, 7:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

Offenders should be forced to look at this 20 times a day until they start to use the stairs instead.
Old Feb 26, 18, 9:05 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post

Offenders should be forced to look at this 20 times a day until they start to use the stairs instead.
Guess its necessary 😂😂😂
Old Mar 4, 18, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Perth to Singapore

Transperth must have been so excited with the fact that EK send an A380 to the most isolated city on earth that they numbered the bus to the airport accordingly

The airport is quite far from Perth's CBD and the ride took some 40 minutes even in the late morning hours. Despite PER being a relatively small airport it has four terminals, with Terminal 1 being the international one. Okay Terminal 1 it is then.

Apparently, mobile BP doesn't work at PER (is it, really?) so I had to go to an actual Check-in counter to get the printed version; no worries here. Very few people were at the terminal that day and I made my way swiftly to the entrance of the QF international lounge.

As it appears, starting from the end of March QF's international flights (namely, SIN, AKL and most importantly LHR) will take off from a separate wing in Terminal 4, with its own new lounge. Anyway, QF lounge at the current position is gorgeous and definitely one of the best lounges I've visited in recent years. Among its strengths - great variety of fresh food, a real espresso machine service, proactive F&B offering by the staff and comfortable and functional chairs and sofas. Really a treat; here's some photos of the lounge:

The way from the lounge to the gate was very short; the views from the terminal are crystal-clear and very cool:

QF71 (PER-SIN)
Take-off: February 13, 2018, 12:27 (scheduled - 12:25)
Landing: February 13, 2018, 17:26 (scheduled - 17:45)
Boeing 737-800 (registration: VH-XZG)
Class: economy, seat 4D

This bird looks even better from the inside even though it's over 4 years old The seats are nice (not as nice as in J, photos soon....) and row 4 has very good legroom (in theory bulkhead, photos soon...) a bottle of water for every passenger, mood lightning and spacious overhead bins (a-la 787):

The menu; I preorder my dish couple of days before just to give it a go. It was very good:

The food itself:

The one thing that was a bit odd was the lack of real separation between J and Y. That's how I found my self very close to the J trolley

Overall, the crew was excellent and so was the IFE selection. We landed in SIN some twenty minutes before schedule and upon disembarking I saw this nice KL B773:

And off to immigration for a 24 hours experience of Singapore:

More to follow, hopefully sooner than later
aeroman380 and nequine like this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 1:06 am

Programs: THAI ROP SL, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, SQ KF GO, LCAH GO, Marriott BONVOY SL, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Awesome TR

CX759 (HKG-SIN)
Take-off: February 9, 2018, 09:31 (scheduled - 09:00)
Landing: February 9, 2018, 13:06 (scheduled - 13:00)
Airbus 350-900 (registration: B-LRP)
Class: economy, seat 60A

Soon after I went towards the gate as I was travelling with a relatively large hand luggage, the flight was full and I was, as you must remember in Y. Priority boarding becomes important under these circumstances especially as on this flight I was about to examine the exit seat in the aft economy cabin and I did not know what would be the luggage-bin-situation down there. Here you can see the endless legroom of seat 60A, which also have a window and this is the reason I preferred it over 59H.

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up & taking so many pics!
It looked like an awesome (& tiring) MR. Hope u enjoyed SIN, or at least Changi Airport
And thanks for the pro tip re: seat 60A
I've walked by that row before on my previous flights but I did not notice the passageway was so narrow!
Did u have any trouble getting in & out of your seat?
Old Mar 5, 18, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
I've walked by that row before on my previous flights but I did not notice the passageway was so narrow! Did u have any trouble getting in & out of your seat?
It's totally doable but involves some inconvenience especially if the person in front uses the IFE, which reduce the passageway even further.
Old Mar 15, 18, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Twenty Four Hours in Singapore

I could, of course, go straight back home without stopping in Singapore but I realised that splitting the trip would make the long journey easier and that it is a good opportunity to visit another new country. Overall Singapore is an odd place that fells at times like you're on the set of The Truman Show But many like it, I'm sure

The Hilton Garden Inn, where I stayed, was excellent, definitely much better than the one I visited just couple of days before in Hong Kong. It is situated in Little India district, which for me as an India lover was very nice. The hotel is sitting on top of an Indian temple, the room was very nice and unlike HGI Mongkok the view from the room was astonishing.

I didn't do much that evening expect for having a real nice Indian dinner at a local restaurant. Next morning I decided to visit the Gardens by the Bay, as I had enough urban experiences in Hong Kong. On the way there I came across this lovely flower-elephant:

And then surprisingly I noticed this building:

I actually didn't know a thing about the Jewish community in Singapore but apparently its history goes back to the early nineteenth century as you can read in this fascinating blog post. It turns out that this David Elias Building is a famous one; nice

And finally Singapore's MRT did not fail to impress me with its own take on safety posters:

Balloons, who would think that

After a compulsory visit to the Super-tree Grove I was taken by the Could Forest exhibition; really beautiful and breathtaking.

You might recall that I managed somehow to lose my Macbook's power adapter somewhere in Perth (and I'm still trying to locate it...) but fortunately Singapore has an Apple Store so I went there and got me a new one. One of those unexpected spendings

And that was it; I was exhausted from the heat and humidity. Luckily I was able to pre-arrange a late check-out from the hotel so I was able to take a refreshing shower before my pair flights SIN-HKG-TLV. And I was very much looking forward to go through SIN's shiny T4, this time as departing passenger.
tedcruz likes this.
Old Mar 15, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
I have often flown HKG TLV HKG and BKK TLV BKK on LV - while it might be true that LV have the higher security risk, and therefore the best security, It has been my experience in life, and I have been travelling in and out of TLV since the early 60's, the one time I flew a non EL AL flight was the one flight I got hi - jacked and held hostage on.

So I have only ever flown in and out of TLV on EL AL.

The premium cabins have been ok - and I have always been appreciative of the air marshall, even if many of my fellow travellers have been uncertain of me, blond blue eyed Aussie but I have had the pleasure of embarassing many of my fellow Jews by answering their less than complimentary comments about me in Hebrew or Yiddish.
Old Mar 18, 18, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith View Post
I have often flown HKG TLV HKG and BKK TLV BKK on LV - while it might be true that LV have the higher security risk, and therefore the best security, It has been my experience in life, and I have been travelling in and out of TLV since the early 60's, the one time I flew a non EL AL flight was the one flight I got hi - jacked and held hostage on.
When was that? @adampenrith
Old Mar 19, 18, 5:07 am

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
When was that? @adampenrith

Mid 70's - now I am showing my age ...
Old Mar 24, 18, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Departure from SIN T4

From November 17 CX started using the new Terminal 4 at Changi. The terminal is used almost exclusively by low-cost carriers and there were concerns about CX using it; I, at any rate, found it perfect. Not only it shiny and comfortable it also features some of the newest travel technology, which is cool and efficient. But first you have to get to the terminal, which is not that easy, at least if you take the MRT since upon arrival to the station in between T2 and T4 you have to take the bus to T4:

The ride itself takes some ten minutes. I understand that there are local buses that run straight to T4 and of course one can take a taxi / uber there but anyway even with the inter-terminal bus it is not too bad. This is the entrance to the terminal:

Since I was travelling HBO I didn't use the self check-in counters and headed straight to the automated immigration stands.

You scan first your passport and them your boarding pass, enter the space in-between and smile at the camera There were some problems with the system but there were many agents around and they help me break free

After that you proceed to the non-automated security screening where you don't have to take our late electronic items but you do have (if I remember correctly) to take out liquids.

Terminal 4 is very long so anyone who uses it should be ready for long walks. This is particularly true for CX flights that use the remotest gates since they are the only ones who can handle wide bodies. That said, the new CX lounge is located midway through but even to get t here you have to walk quite a bit. As you can see there is nothing low-cost about the terminal:

These, for example, are armchairs that are spread all across it:

The CX lounge is one level up from the main terminal floor:

And here is its entrance:

Once inside there is a long decorated corridor with several spaces pictured below:

I asked for a vegetarian option at the Noodles Bar but the cooks over the counter could really get it; I had this moment before Fortunately a lounge agent in a suit approached us and explained to them the oddity. All was taken care of and after couple of minutes I got this delicious bowl.

Finally, this is the view from the lounge when you look towards the terminal; there are also great views of the tarmac.

I heard that during certain times of the day the lounge is super crowded but that was not the case today. Boarding was announce and I walked the distance all the way to gate G21, the last gate in the terminal. Boarding is also semi-automated and I was about to embark on the SIN-HKG leg towards home.

\
nequine likes this.

Search this Thread