Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow, Petra and some Gorillas in Uganda with CX, AA, BA, RJ, QR and EK in J/F

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 8:49 pm
Hut
Original Poster

Part 14: Lake Bunyonyi to Dubai

The last day of the tour would be, I suppose fittingly for an overland tour a travel day, with a trip up to Kampala which would take all day.

Sheraton Kampala

Ended up getting into the Sheraton around 5pm, where after a week in a tent the bed was very inviting, as was the delightful pressure and more importantly the hot water in the shower!

The next morning was a lazy one, where I caught up on some reading and cleaned the mud off my boots, so I could avoid any issues arriving back in Australia.

It was a long ride in the hotel car out to the airport, the road was super busy and took almost two hours, but then I was there, ready to try Emirates and in First too. Check in didn’t have a queue but wasn’t quick as the agent wanted to see a visa for Australia, which I don’t have – because I don’t need one. This didn’t seem to be an acceptable response so after disappearing for a bit, the agent returned and checked me in without a further word.

Karibuni Lounge

The Karibuni Lounge was the appointed place to wait.

There was an interesting place for unattended children to swim.

And an interesting collection of aircraft out the window to look at.

The lounge was a little busy and the food average, but as it took a bit longer than expected on the road I was only there for 15 mins before boarding.

Emirates EK730
Boeing 777-300ER (A6-EPS)
Entebbe (EBB) -> Dubai (DXB)
Depart 16:13, Arrive 22:45, Flight Time: 5:33

Boarding began on time and I was more excited than I have been in ages for a flight. Maybe I should do this more often! The FAs welcomed me aboard and showed me to the seat offering to show me the features and inquired about a drink.

I’d chosen 1A and having read a few TRs before, I knew what to expect! It didn’t disappoint, gold, grey and wood everywhere…

The impracticalities of a warm drinks bin don’t make it any less cool.

As I settled in, my drink of choice arrived…

The first of many, I had sort of resolved to recoup the extortionate fuel fines… I think I got close.

As the boarding wound up, around came some coffee.

Today’s flight details and also a refill… not that I’m counting!

While there were some headphones, there was no amenity kit. Like nothing. I think the flight attendant could tell I was surprised and just said there was nothing loaded for this flight. I suppose at this point we have transcended first world problems and are dealing with first class problems.

Anyhow, after everyone had boarded, and I’d happily assisted the crew in emptying the Champagne bottle, we were underway.

Once we were in the air the crew were quick to get things started.

I did look through the menu, where there were a range of other options…

But I mostly stuck with what I like most!

I always like a menu where there are multiple tempting items!

As we were reaching our cruising altitude canapes appeared which were really tasty.

There was almost a ceremony that accompanied the setting of the table, it was a precision event where everything clearly had its place.

I went with the Chicken Tikka for the appetiser, which was fantastic.

And the spicy chicken for the main, which was even better.

Next was dessert, which was okay – nothing wrong with it, but after the great meal it seemed like a bit of a let-down. First class problems.

The final act was tea and chocolate.

After dinner, there was lovely sunset and movies to pass the time.

A few hours later we found ourselves over Dubai…

Where the ground was getting closer, which meant that it was almost over.

We parked at a remote gate and the super fancy first class bus came to collect us.

It was an interesting trip across the airport, where we passed more Emirates planes that I could count. Its crazy how many planes they have on the ground in one place, even if it is their main hub.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:56 pm
Hut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Loving this so far, W Hotel in Doha sounded beyond crap ....
Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s a great experience!
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
So glad that I stumbled upon this TR today!! Great write up and some good photos. Thank you, and looking forward to the rest.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Bwindi is an amazing experience, and overland trucks, a great way to travel accross Africa, but quite the difference between F/J class and an overland truck
Do you mind sharing how much the permit is now?
Haha, yes it's a bit of a change from an overland truck to EK F... The permit was ~AUD $910
Old May 18, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Hut
Thanks!
Haha, yes it's a bit of a change from an overland truck to EK F... The permit was ~AUD $910
Went up a bit since 2016 then! Crazy cash cow for them!
Old May 20, 2018, 6:49 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 15: Dubai to Perth

Emirates First Class Lounge Dubai

So, I’m not sure if it’s a lounge or a floor, but either way – it is big. I actually think it’s a little too big… I mean you actually need the map to figure out where to go and where stuff is. First Class problems.

With a few hours to kill I figured I’d find a place to sit, then maybe a shower and some food.

I took a seat near where the Perth flight was departing from, it was me and four staff members, which sort of made it awkward as a couple sort of hovered in case I wanted anything.

After a bit I took a shower, which was clearly built with expensive things, but not really maintained and starting to look like it really needed a bit of love. Which, I think was true of most of the lounge from 20 paces it all looked amazing, but up close – things were scratched and dented and generally worn.

After the shower, I stopped by the restaurant which had an appetising menu and was the busiest place in the lounge with maybe 20 other people there. I felt like a burger, but unfortunately it was terrible, a burnt and dry patty…

So, headed back to the gate area to wait.

Emirates EK420
Airbus A380 (A6-EEF)
Dubai (DXB) -> Perth (PER)
Depart 02:49, Arrive 17:47, Flight Time: 10:59

Boarding from the lounge was pretty cool, while there were few people that boarded from the first lounge it ended up only being two of us in the first cabin for the flight. There was a warm welcome from the crew at the door and they led me to my aisle…

I’d booked 2K, but when I boarded the crew said that one was broken – but I could have any other seat on ‘my’ side of the aircraft…

Unlike the previous flight, there was an amenity kit which was comprehensive and one of the better ones I’ve had.

There were also pyjamas and I broke with my usual rule of not changing until after take-off as I was super tired by this stage and wanted to sleep asap. The bathroom was extravagantly proportioned, and the shower – awesome, can’t wait to try!

We got underway and shortly after take-off a bed was made, and I crashed.

Woke up after 5½ hours, which seemed about the right amount for adjusting to the new time zone, so decided to stay awake.

The crew noticed I was up within a few minutes and I started the day with a coffee…

This was followed by breakfast; the fruit plate was okay…

And the main plate, was average. A bit disappointing after the awesome meal I’d had from Uganda.

After breakfast there was chocolate and I browsed their very comprehensive and seemingly highly edited movie selection.

A few hours later and it’s time for lunch.

The table was again, set with precision.

I went with the caviar to start, which I only really have on a plane… I do like it, but I’m not sure I love it yet... maybe more will help!

I went with the Chicken for the main, and it was good but not as good as I would have expected, I’ve had much better on Qatar in business…

The chocolate ginger cake was however, fantastic!

Interestingly, with only two of us you still had to book a shower time, I chose about an hour before landing. I had sort of wondered if this was a gimmick in the past, but after using it I’m a believer. Not sure it beats a shower on the ground if there is a nice arrivals lounge, but if you have it on the plane I guess you don’t need to worry.

After the shower there was a little more food waiting.

Soon enough we were crossing back over the WA coast. It was a pretty rough landing and a long taxi to the gate.

With a final shot of the cabin it was time to go.

Emirates First – well it’s over the top luxury, that surprisingly enough doesn’t seem to hold up to close inspection, suite and lounge look lovely but are dented scratched and little things are broken here and there. Three meals – one phenomenal, two very average, nice Champagne tho – attentive but not particularly friendly crew. Overall, a great way to travel – but maybe not worth the points and $$$ premium over a solid buisness product.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:52 am
Hut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Went up a bit since 2016 then! Crazy cash cow for them!
Yep, I've talked to a few people who had done it before and most are surprised how expensive it has become... I too suspect it must be a nice little earner for them.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In my experience fruit-plate at Emirates-F was always a problem.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Amazing report, thanks! I really do want to go, but given the cost of the permit and the risk of not seeing anything (I've always had bad luck with animals and safaris), it's been quite difficult to push myself to actually plan a trip. Maybe some time in the future... [wistfully]
Old May 21, 2018, 8:10 am

Terrific report. What an interesting trip with a wide range of sightseeing.

I thought it was interesting that the guys leading the horses/mules/donkeys or whatever in Petra were chatting away on their cell phones. They get better cell phone reception in the middle of nowhere than I can get driving down a major road in Baltimore. Go figure
Old May 21, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Amazing trip report. Not sure how you managed to stay awake with the quick switches through all of those time zones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.