Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney the looong way; EY 789 J/F, EY A380 F, 16 hours in QR F Al-Safwa Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Sydney the looong way; EY 789 J/F, EY A380 F, 16 hours in QR F Al-Safwa Lounge

The primary motivation for this trip was to try out the new Etihad 789 Business Studio, First Suites, and A380 First Apartment products, as well as to use a bunch of Club Carlson points before devaluation. The opportunity to try the new Qatar Airways First Class Al-Safwa lounge was just icing on the proverbial airlines cake.

Itinerary
IAD-AUH: Etihad 787-9 Business Studio
AUH-SYD: Etihad A380-800 First Apartment
SYD-AUH: Etihad A380-800 First Apartment
AUH-DOH-AUH: Qatar Airways Regional First A320
AUH-IAD: Etihad 787-9 First Suite

Stay tuned!

You might recall some of my other fine Trip Reports.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-xian-rtw.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...nge-crawl.html

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 12, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Looking forward to this.

QR F Al-Safwa Lounge looks really good, especially the Quite Rooms where you get your own private room with a bed and shower to use for your duration in the lounge.

Also interested in what you thought of the EY A380 Apartment soft and hard product and if you found the bed hard or comfortable for the duration of that long haul flight.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:10 am

Looking forward to this as well. I'm doing apartments in 2 weeks. Interested to see what you think of Al-Safwa too.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Nice, this will be a good one!
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spizzy
Looking forward to this.

QR F Al-Safwa Lounge looks really good, especially the Quite Rooms where you get your own private room with a bed and shower to use for your duration in the lounge.

Also interested in what you thought of the EY A380 Apartment soft and hard product and if you found the bed hard or comfortable for the duration of that long haul flight.
The Al-Safwa Quiet Rooms are excellent! I stayed in one for 12 hours, almost the duration of my time in Al-Safwa, primarily to do work and catch up on sleep.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A bit curious about how you managed the QR F lounge if you were traveling EY, but that's just a tiny detail. Looking forward to your TR! Any comparison of the various EY seats/cabins you tried would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
A bit curious about how you managed the QR F lounge if you were traveling EY, but that's just a tiny detail. Looking forward to your TR! Any comparison of the various EY seats/cabins you tried would be much appreciated.
Definitely, I will do a seat comparison.

I accessed the Al-Safwa lounge by adding in an AUH-DOH-AUH segment on QR F (regional first).

Thanks for following!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm still going through my pictures, but my flight in the 787-9 First Suite topped my experience in both Apartment segments. More on this later, but I liked the more intimate cabin.

Moreover, our 789 chef was classically trained and he put out some amazingly well plated and beautiful dishes. The FAs were amazing on this 789 flight as well.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:52 pm

Will be curious/excited to hear about the EY biz product on the IAD/AUH route. Surprisingly few reports on that because it seems like everybody just splurges for F. But I will be flying the route next month in J. The trip is smack in the middle of the holidays, so was happy to grab a couple J for the dates we needed, and not expecting any F to open up...
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA, HA
^ Great idea for a TR! Especially give you props for going the long way round. Not everyone understands that the journey can be as much fun as the destination.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Will be curious/excited to hear about the EY biz product on the IAD/AUH route. Surprisingly few reports on that because it seems like everybody just splurges for F. But I will be flying the route next month in J. The trip is smack in the middle of the holidays, so was happy to grab a couple J for the dates we needed, and not expecting any F to open up...
Thanks arlflyer!

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
^ Great idea for a TR! Especially give you props for going the long way round. Not everyone understands that the journey can be as much fun as the destination.
Thanks TheTakeOffRush! Only the truly hardcore are willing to fly 30K miles to sample different airplane cabins.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Here's a teaser pic of the Al-Safwa lounge entrance.

Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Subscribed and waiting. I am flying EY J to the AUH - US next month although in the 772 and 77W.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avneeshj
Subscribed and waiting. I am flying EY J to the AUH - US next month although in the 772 and 77W.
Just curious, you're flying EY J in 772? As far as I know, EY don't have a 772.
They have 77Ls and 77Ws.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Looking forward to this one ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.