Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

KLM Boeing 777 Business Class from Dar Es Salaam to Amsterdam (+ video)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer

On January 19th 2018, I flew Business Class with KLM from Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) to Amsterdam (The Netherlands). The flight was operated by the oldest Boeing 777-200ER in the KLM fleet (nicknamed Epidaurus). I did not expect a lot, but boy, I was incredibly impressed by KLM’s Business Class product. Although the 2-2-2 layout is not the most sophisticated in the skies, it was one of the most comfortable seats I have ever flown (and slept) in. The food and courteous service were great as well. But what surprised me the most, was KLM’s attention to design elements, which all made for a memorable flying experience.

The same Business Class layout and seat is also found on KLM’s B747. The carrier’s A330 aircraft are currently being retrofitted and will all feature a similar Business Class seat and layout by the end of this year. KLM’s B787-9s feature an even better seat layout (1-2-1) with direct aisle access for all passengers.

I made a Youtube clip about the experience:
  • Trip: Dar Es Salaam (DAR) to Amsterdam (AMS)
  • Airline: KLM Royal Dutch Airline
  • Aircraft type: Boeing 777-200ER
  • Aircraft registration number: PH-BQE, also known as Epidaurus (delivered in 2004)
  • Flight Number: KL569
  • Date: January 19th, 2018
  • On time departure: yes (midnight)
  • On time arrival: yes (7 am)
  • Miles: 4553
  • Flight time: 8 hours
  • Seat: 6K
  • Class: business (D)
LOUNGE AT DAR ES SALAAM AIRPORT

Dar Es Salaam, the former capital of Tanzania, is the most populous city in the coastal region of East Africa and one of the world’s fastest growing urban centers. Yet, its airport – named Julius Nyerere International Airport after Tanzania’s first president – is disappointingly small and totally underwhelming. It comprises one terminal which features a few gates, a small number of unappealing shops, and one restaurant. The good news is that the authorities are currently building a much larger and nicer terminal which is set to open at the end of this year and will quadruple passenger capacity, after which the currently used airport building will be converted into a domestic terminal.

At the moment, all airlines that fly into Dar Es Salaam (e.g. KLM, Swiss, Emirates, Qatar and Oman Air to name a few) make use of the sole lounge that is present in the terminal to accommodate their premium passengers. The Tanzanite lounge is located one floor below the main concourse, and is basically a large rectangular room that offers all the basics that should be present in an airport lounge: seats, complimentary WiFi, snacks, drinks, and restrooms. Entering the lounge is like stepping back into time because of the dated design. One corner of the lounge features a bar and small self-service buffet with a few hot and cold items (including samosas) although I did not dear to try them out (food presentation was not attractive at all). You can also order a selection of sandwiches from a menu with on of the lounge staff members, which are consistently walking around to take orders and make sure all guests are treated well. The lounge’s highlight was the restroom sign (what kind of says it all): ‘men to the left because women are always right’.

In conclusion, the lounge is nothing special, but it is still better to wait here than in the small and humid airport terminal.

BUSINESS CLASS CABIN

KLM’s Boeing 777s (both the -200ER and -300ER versions) all feature the same Business Class layout, with 34 Business Class seats arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration and spread over two cabins. The main cabin is located in the plane’s front and features 5 rows comprising the bulk of the seats (28 in total) while the smaller cabin is set between the galley and Premium Economy with only one row of just 6 seats. The smaller cabin feels extremely private and to the best of my knowledge, it’s the only Business Class cabin in a wide body aircraft with only one row of seats (correct me if I am wrong please). However, this smaller cabin is situated just ahead of the Premium Economy bulkhead seats, so it may be less appealing to some passengers.

The 2-2-2 layout is ideal for passengers traveling together as a couple, friends or colleagues, but it is not the best when you are a solo traveler because you have to crawl over the legs of your neighbour to reach the aisle when you are allocated in a window seat and because of the apparent lack of privacy. However, paired seats are staggered by a couple of inches (cm) and separated by a fixed divider screen, which guarantees enough privacy in case you are seated next to a stranger.

The cabin’s interior, which is designed by renowned Dutch designer Hella Jongerius, feels fresh, airy and modern. The seat shelfs feature a calming light blue color, while the seats themselves are covered in a dark brown texture, giving the cabin an upscale ambience. As a passenger, you can notice that a lot of effort has been put in the design; for example, the bulkheads’ handles feature the KLM logo in metalwork and the sustainable carpet is a woven carpet made of wool.

THE BUSINESS CLASS SEAT

I was seated in 6K for the 9 hour flight to Amsterdam. 6K is a window seat located in the smaller, intimate Business Class cabin, almost elevating the experience to what you would get onboard a private plane.

The seat is a B/E Aerospace Diamond seat, the same type you also find on other carriers, such as Qatar's A330, Ethiopian's A350/B787s, and United B787s. However, a big difference is that the Boeing 777 is wider than all other mentioned aircraft types and so the seats in KLM’s B777 are wider and more comfortable (yes, the difference can be felt). In addition, one of the seat’s arm rests can be manually lowered, offering increased seat width and even more space (especially welcome when the seat is turned into its flat-bed position). The seat’s other, massive arm rest is shared with the adjoining seat, and features the seat and entertainment controls as well as the tray table, which is both sturdy and easy to open and stow.

In front of the seat is a very large 17 inch touchscreen TV. Below the TV monitor is a drawer which is large enough to store your laptop, and a leather covered ottoman which becomes part of the flatbed once the seat is fully reclined. The size of the ottoman differs dramatically depending upon the row: the bulkhead seats in rows 1 & 6 offer a much larger ottoman as compared to the narrow footwells of all the other Business Class seats.

The seat offers plenty of storage space, with a shoe drawer located under the seat in front, a tray situated under the entertainment screen, space below the ottoman for a backpack or handbag, and a storage pocket next to the headrest which also holds a USB port and international power port.

The seat feels extremely comfortable in the upright position, but even more so in the flat-bed position. The seat can be 180 degrees reclined to a full flat bed that is 206 cm (6 ft and 10 inches) long. Again, your sleep comfort will depend on the seat you choose: except for the bulkhead seats in rows 1 & 6 (which come with large ottomans), the footwells are very narrow, which means you may hit the seat walls with your feet when you turn during your sleep, so not very comfortable for a good night’s rest.

What are the best Business Class seats on KLM’s B777s? Use this seat map for more information.
  • All Business Class seats are excellent for those traveling with a companion because of the 2-2-2 cabin configuration.
  • The bulkhead seats in row 1 & 6 feature a much larger footrest as compared to all other seats, so these are the seats you want to fly (and sleep) in, although proximity to the galley and lavatory may cause some slight noise disturbance from time to time.
  • The seats in row 6 are set in their own super private and intimate cabin (which features just one row of seats), and I would heartily recommend them.
What are the worst Business Class seats on KLM’s B777s? Use this seat map for more information.
  • The 2-2-2 Business Class layout does not make the cabin very attractive for solo travelers, since you will always end up sitting next to a stranger. There is a large fixed screen though between adjoining seats which are also staggered by a couple of inches, creating a great level of privacy.
  • Window seats don’t offer direct aisle access.
  • As mentioned above, the footrests are very narrow (except for the bulkhead seats in rows 1 & 6), so not very comfortable for a good night’s rest.
AMENITIES & GIFT

Business Class passengers on one of KLM’s longhaul flights receive the following amenities:
  • An amenity kit which comes under the form a marine blue bag, created by Dutch fashion designer Jan Taminiau. The bag contains the essentials items for longhaul travel: eye mask, ear plugs, a comb, toothbrush, and toothpaste. Remarkably, KLM’s amenity kits lack skincare products.
  • A comfortable pillow.
  • A stylish and comfortable, marine blue blanket.
  • Noise cancelling headphones (you cannot keep these as the crew collects them before takeoff).
Before landing, all passengers are always offered a gift: a Delft Blue miniature traditional Dutch house, filled with Dutch gin, also known as jenever.

MEALS

Two meals were offered during the flight, the first being supper served after takeoff (around midnight), and the second meal a breakfast served 90 minutes prior to landing.

The beautifully designed menus featured references to Delft tiles and houses. Another unexpected design detail that KLM get totally right is the stylish and unique tableware. The porcelain, glassware, cutlery, linen and tray have all been designed by Marcel Wanders, a famous Dutch designer. Even the salt and pepper shakers come in the form of clogs, one of Holland’s symbols.

The food itself was great for a Business Class product and the presentation well executed.

I choose the following selection from the supper menu (all courses were served at once on the same tray, which I liked because of the late hour of meal service, allowing for more sleep):
  • Appetizer: Kingklip fish ceviche on a lentil and artichoke salad
  • Main course: chicken kebabs in Tanzanian coconut sauce, rice pilau and mixed peppers
  • Side dish: Cumin Gouda and Camembert cheese plate
  • Dessert: tiramisu
For breakfast, I had the omelet with salmon, spinach, and roasted tomato, in addition to a selection of fresh fruit, hard-boiled egg, cheese, jam, hot rolls, and croissants.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Those new KLM seats look good, and I love the salt and pepper shoes! Thank you for sharing ^
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
The salt and pepper shoes are adorable!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.