Three Days In Libya

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three Days In Libya

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Your trip reports are legendary. This is no exception. I loved the ruins the most. How much was it to employ Salem and Yousef to show you around? I assume you didn't bring your drone this time?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
First off, how do I get invited on these trips?
Second, great TR as usual.
Third, why the flash of the EU passport at the beginning and the NZ as you're leaving? Do the various African authorities care that much between passports?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJO
Great report once again! This brings back some memories from my visit to Libya in 2004 (the "good old days"). Back then, there were hardly any tourists either; many people wanted to take pictures with me . The tourist visa cost "just" 90 euros. We did a circle trip through the country, visiting Ghadames (غدامس‎), Sabha (سبها‎), Ghat (غات‎), Sirte (سرت‎) and Banghazi ( بنغازي ). We tried to go to Tobruk (طبرق‎) as well, but unfortunately it was too far to visit in one day from Banghazi.
Thank you, AJO. Yes, I'm jealous of the people who managed to visit these countries before things went pear shaped. Ditto with Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan etc.
Originally Posted by lamphs
Happy New Year to you DanielW from Washington DC where it is -13 C. A great report to read over a cup of coffee. Thanks for posting and thanks for incorporating the Wikipedia links. I know that takes a significant effort. I very much want to go to some of those, lets say 'discouraged', countries at some point, but I think my family would disown me!
Thanks, lamphs. And I thought 16C here in the morning Dubai at the moment was cold! I tell my family about visits to more adventurous countries until after I get back, saves a bit of stress on their side.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Wow. Just wow! Another fantastic TR - thank you for sharing ^
​​​
Many thanks, Madone59. It was definitely one of those trips where you are excited to start it but also thankful when it is over and all went ok.
Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for another great trip report from you Daniel, it looked a very interesting country to visit.
Cheers, nequine. I really wanted to visit Libya for a quite a while so was glad when I finally made it.
Originally Posted by kalderlake
Brilliant, as always.

Thank you very much.

kl
Thanks, kalderlake.
Originally Posted by MA330
Absolutely stunning report, Daniel. Just saw your upcoming Baghdad to Basra trip report and I have to admit I'm slightly jealous.
Thank you, MA330. Yes, Iraq was a great trip too and got to see alot , from some of Saddam's old palaces to the Shia Shrines in Karbala and Najaf.
​​
Originally Posted by blueline7
I think you may have outdone yourself this time, Daniel! You so crazy to go to Libya, but wow, walking in those ruins, priceless.
Many thanks, blueline7. Yes, it was great to have Leptis Magna almost to ourselves, much easier to take photo's too without other people in the way.
Originally Posted by rhivolution
Fantastic TR. Leptis Magna looks incredible. I know 5 others who went in 2017 and at that time, the guide said only about 20 tourists had visited Leptis Magna all year. I'm not sure if that was an exaggeration, but it wouldn't surprise me. Did you experience any hostility during your trip? I'm told reactions were "mixed" to the others. I've got quite a lot planned for the first half of 2018 but may well put Libya on the list for later in the year.
Thanks, rhivolution. Yes, with tourist visas technically no longer issued and govt travel advisories putting Libya firmly as 'off-limits', only a few adventurous travellers make it to Libya at the moment. We didn't get any real hostility. Our guides said that in the markets someone said "why are the foreigners here" in arabic, but nothing too serious. I think in Gaddafi times there was a lot of paranoia over foreigners, and they were 'plotting to steal Libya's resources', and that there is still a bit of this about.
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Wow. Absolutely Amazing. Thanks so much. Stunning historical sights and a "Risky" visit no doubt about that. Thanks very very much for sharing.
Thank you, flyupfrnt. Yes, so much history, both ancient and within the last few centuries, such a delight to see and explore.
Originally Posted by lb8001
HNY, Daniel - another wonderful TR with awesome photos. All the Roman ruins were so cool and the amazing preservation of so many drawings and carvings. Libya is a country I will probably never get to but I have you to share your trip - thanks again!
​​​​​​​
Cheers, lb8001. I never expected the Roman ruins to be so extensive and well preserved. A really amazing experience.
Originally Posted by kcmd
Great trip report, especially enjoyed reading about the Roman ruins!
​​​​​​​
Thanks, kcmd. Yes, Leptis Magna was such a great place to wander about and take in.
Originally Posted by londonfog
Wow! Talking about starting 2018 with a bang! Great report.
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, londonfog. Hopefully some more adventures in 2018 to come.
Originally Posted by Spanish
I really enjoyed reading your trip report, and I enjoyed the prolific use of photographs. A wonderful walk through your trip to Libya. It's always an exciting experience to visiting a new country! Glad you enjoyed your time there.
​​​​​​​
Thank you, Spanish. Yes, great to finally visit my last MENA country left to visit.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Your trip reports are legendary. This is no exception. I loved the ruins the most. How much was it to employ Salem and Yousef to show you around? I assume you didn't bring your drone this time?
​​​​​​​
Thanks, HawaiiTrvlr. Our time in Libya cost $650 each, plus flights and visa. No drone, didn't want any grief at Tripoli airport or Tunis either.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Third, why the flash of the EU passport at the beginning and the NZ as you're leaving? Do the various African authorities care that much between passports?
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, krazykanuck. Haha! I actually recently joined a FB travel group, and some how found myself in Najaf, Iraq for New Years. Last time I travelled to Tunisia I needed my UK passport for the VOA, although I think NZ can get it now too.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:14 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Great report and glad I could join you on this trip! Guess I need to write my report
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:08 am

Fantastic report. Thanks for posting. Made for a very enjoyable read.
Travel safe.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
As always a fascinating report Daniel, thank you.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thank you once again - I can only echo what everyone has mentioned already. Thank you for taking time to write up these TR's.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Impressive as always^
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for sharing another wonderful location that is not frequently visited.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Fantastic, thank you again for sharing! Any time I see a new TR from you, I set aside a chunk of time to go through it
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Having a non-UK passport may come in useful considering this: Map of the Day: Where the Brits never invaded - Humanosphere

Great TR, DanielW - yet again!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Amazing report and photos, Daniel as always! Thank you. I always look forward to each of your reports!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
The Oscar to the best TRs goes to..., as usual, DanielW.
I'm surprised that even after our (thankgod) ousted stupid president N. Sarkozy who decided to bomb Libya (and whose presidential rallies was funded by the ex-leader of this country) , they still keep the "French Street" name...
For anyone interested in art and "old stones", what a perfect report!

Thanks a ton!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Platinum
Thanks for the amazing TR! As I finished the report, my thought was “how does he top this?” Safe travels !
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:46 pm

Wow! Just amazing that you pulled off such a trip. Really an eye opener for me when comparing it Libya to the scenes from the "13hrs Benghazi" movie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.