2 Flights, 3 Segments, 7 Trips and 9 States

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 19th September 2017 to 14th October 2017
Part I: 19th September
The Flights Out.

I accepted a trip from Winamac, Indiana to New Alexandria, Pennsylvania because I needed to temporarily vacate the house where my crash pad is located due to the house being scheduled for fumigation. Otherwise I likely would not have travelled so far for such a short trip unless there was another compelling reason. The house being fumigated was a compelling enough reason. I got transport to LAX and checked in and my bags weighed 46 and 41.5lbs. I got TSA Precheck so I did not have to opt out but my briefcase was checked. The total time elapsed from beginning of check in to clear of security was 15 minutes.

Southwest #1854 LAX-STL B-737-700 Boarding Pass B54
Seat 22A Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time 3:10, actual 3:05
Depart: Gate 15 Scheduled 09h25, actual 09h29 Taxi 13 minutes
Arrive: Gate E20 Scheduled 14h55, actual 14h50 Taxi: 2 minutes

We boarded via jetway and the plane was full with a load of 143/143. It was announced it was 75F at STL. Pushback was 4 minutes late followed by an exceedingly rare eastbound takeoff from LAX. The only previous time I experienced an eastbound takeoff from LAX was in early January 1974 on an Eastern Airlines B-727 red-eye flight from LAX to ATL. I saw Interstate 405 and northbound traffic was very slow and southbound traffic was moving well. I saw Baldwin Hills then we went into clouds at 1min22sec and then over the clous at 1min57sec. Clouds went up to the Mountains and tried to spill over the Cajon Pass into the High Desert. At 0:09 we were over the San Gabriel Mountains and I saw Wrightwood and the High Desert. Later I saw Hesperia, Victorville, Adelanto, Apple Valley, Barstow, Calico and Ft. Irwin. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:23. At 0:28 I started to see the Las Vegas metro area. At 0:29 I saw LAS and The Strip. At 0:31 I saw Nellis AFB and the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. At 0:32 clouds increased.

I got a choice of snacks at 0:39--Ritz Crackers with Cream Cheese which I chose or Fritos or Shortbread Cookies or peanuts. I saw St-George, UT to the distance at the same time. Later I saw Lake Powell at 0:57. There were bumps and seatbelt sign went on at 0:59. I got cup of soda at 1:00. At 1:14 I saw Montrose, CO. At 1:22 the flight attendants were told to discontinue service due to bumps over the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. At 1:25 I saw fall colours on the mountains.

At 1:32 I saw Interstate 25 and Colorado Springs. I got cup of water at 1:53. We crossed US81 and I saw Concordia, KS at 2:13. We crossed the Missouri River into Missouri airspace at 2:30 and I saw MCI, Interstate 29 and 435 and the north suburbs of Kansas City, MO. We crossed Interstate 35 at 2:33 and I saw the Missouri River going east. I felt descent begin at 2:36. I saw Boonville, MO and the Missouri River at 2:43. We crossed the Missouri River a second time at 2:45. I saw Columbia, MO at the same time. Descent was announced at 2:49 and it was 88F at STL. We crossed Interstate 70 at 2:57 and I saw Foristell, MO and the Mr. Fuel Truckstop along with the TA and the weigh scales. We crossed US61 at 2:58 and crossed Missouri 79 at 2:59 and I saw Winfield, MO. We landed west to east and arrived at gate 5 minutes early. As I was a thru passenger I did not deplane but I did change seats after a count of thru passengers was taken.

Southwest #1854 STL-MDW B-737-700 Thru Passenger
Seat 3F Cruising altitude 27,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:42, actual 0:40
Depart: Gate E20 Scheduled 15h45, actual 15h39 Taxi: 10 minutes
Arrive: Gate B3 Scheduled 16h50, actual 16h33 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 18-20 minutes after arrival

This segment was almost full. Pushback was 6 minutes early and takeoff was to the east. I saw downtown St-Louis to the distance and we turned left and crossed the Missouri River at 0:02 then we crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois airspace at 0:03. At 0:05 it was announced that there would only be a water service. I got cup of water at 0:10 as we crossed Interstate 55 which roughly parallels Old Route 66. We crossed Interstate 72 at 0:12 and I felt descent at 0:17. I saw the Bloomington/Normal area at 0:18 and the junction of Interstate 55 and Interstate 74. I saw BMI at 0:20. I saw Pontiac, IL at 0:21 and Dwight, IL at 0:24. I saw the Illinois River and Morris, IL at 0:29 along with Interstate 80. At 0:32 I saw Minooka, IL. At 0:33 I saw the interchange of Interstates 55 and 80 along with parts of Joilet, IL. We crossed Interstate 55 at 0:35 then crossed Interstate 294 and landed to the northeast. We arrived at gate 17 minutes early and deplaned via jetway.

I was shocked and disappointed to see that Potbelly's is no longer at MDW. After I got my bags at baggage reclaim I took shuttle bus to where the rental cars were and got into a rental car headed to Logansport, Indiana. Traffic was heavy on Cicero Avenue so it took awhile for me to get to Mattson's Steak House and Western Saloon where I had New York Steak, Fries, Garlic Bread and Salad for evening rations. I took streets to avoid toll roads and got off Interstate 80/94 to avoid construction but ran into other construction on US30. I got a shake for dessert at Steak & Shake before checking into hotel and spending the night in Merrillville, IN.

Rare Eastbound Takeoff from LAX

Clouds against the Mountains

Las Vegas Strip

Fall Colours in the Rockies

Crossing the Missouri River

MCI Kansas City International Airport

Approach to STL

Approach to MDW

No more Potbelly's at MDW. The powers that be at Midway Airport really struck out on this one. Potbelly's was my favourite place to eat at MDW.

Mattson's Steak House and Western Saloon on Cicero Avenue Burbank, Illinois.
AJO likes this.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Dec 30, 2017 at 3:36 am
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Hoosier State to Keystone State and Return

Part II: 20th September to 25th September

Wednesday the 20th of September I continued to the shipper in rental car. The GPS routed me on some county roads that would be illegal for trucks. I saw some trees just starting to change colour but over 90% of the leaves were still green. I loaded my gear into the truck and did inspection then I staged the truck outside the gate. Afterward I continued in the rental car to Logansport, IN where I got unleaded for 2.399$ per gallon. After I dropped off the rental car I got transport to the truck and headed to the nearest filling station.

Trip: Winamac, IN to New Alexandria, PA 436 miles
Make: 2018 Mack
Model: Roll-off (garbage truck without body)
Transmission: Automatic
Route: US35 to Indiana 14 to US31 to Interstate 69 to Interstate 469 to US30 to Ohio 115 to Ohio 65 to Ohio 81 to Interstate 75 to US30 to Interstate 71 to Interstate 76 Pennsylvania Turnpike to US22
Maximum elevation: unknown but some parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania were over 1,000 feet including the destination.
Highest diesel price USA: 2.859$ per gallon at Pilot Plymouth, IN
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.699$ per gallon at Speedway Ontario, OH (near Mansfield)

I headed to the nearest filling station to get diesel then got underway. There was lots of construction on US30 in Indiana and western Ohio. I diverted to Lima, OH where I spent the night.

Thursday the weather was fair and warm. I got the next trip lined up with dispatch. I saw a sign that Pennsylvania Turnpike was to be shut down between Exit 13 and Exit 28 (Interchange with US19 and Interstate 79) for the upcoming weekend. I took note of that for the next trip. I made it to Delmont, PA where I spent the night.

Friday I made the delivery in New Alexandria, PA. I got transport to LBE Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Latrobe where I got into a rental car to Harrisburg, PA. I saw that LBE had one jetway and was served by only one airline: Spirit Airlines. Due to traffic and construction I knew I was not going to make it to Harrisburg before the close of business so I contacted the shipper and the truck was staged for me. Rental car fuel cost 2.899$ on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I made it to Harrisburg around sunset and loaded my gear into the truck. Then I headed to hotel nearby and got the last room for the night. After that I got transport back to the truck and moved the truck and parked it at the hotel so both the rental car and truck were parked at hotel. I had evening rations at Sheetz and spent the night in Harrisburg, PA.

Trip: Harrisburg, PA to Merrillville, IN 633 miles
Make: 2017 Peterbilt
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 83 to Interstate 81 to US322 to Interstate 99 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 65 to US30
Maximum elevation: 2,250 feet Interstate 80 10 miles west of Clearfield, PA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.399$ per gallon at Flying J Harrisburg, PA
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.799$ per gallon at Flying J Hubbard, OH

Saturday I turned in the rental car at local office and got a ride back to the truck. I headed to truckstop where I took on fuel which was the highest I saw in a long time and perhaps the highest in the USA as the gas and diesel tax increase for California did not kick in until the first of November. Once out of the Harrisburg area I took a stretch of US322 that I never took before. Much of that was twinned except for the last part before Interstate 99 and the two lane part was quite steep and crooked which meant going slow. I did that to cut to Interstate 80 as I wanted to avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike due to high tolls and the weekend closure in western Pennsylvania which would have forced a detour in any event. Some areas of US322 had a 20mph truck speed limit due to steep downgrade and that was a two lane road. I made it to Harrisville, PA where I spent the night.

Sunday I continued west into Ohio and took the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road. I made it to South Bend, IN where I spent the night.

Monday I stopped at truck wash per instructions from dispatch for a truck wash. Then I headed to receiver and delivered the truck in Merrillville, IN. I accepted another trip and got transport to local rental car office where I got into a rental car headed for Carmel, IN. I stopped and took some pictures of Crown Point, IN then detoured on US52 in Lafayette, IN due to construction on the 65. I spent the night in Indianapolis, IN.

Sassafras leaves starting to change colour in Delmont, Pennsylvania 22nd September 2017

LBE Arnold Palmer Regional Airport Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Statue of Arnold Palmer

Somerset, Pennsylvania

sunset Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 22nd September 2017

My ride from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to Merrillville, Indiana

Crown Point, Indiana
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Hoosier State to Show Me State to Lone Star State to Pelican State

Part III: 26th September to 3rd October

Tuesday the 26th of September I awoke in Indianapolis. I headed to the shipper and checked in and after a matter was cleared up I loaded my gear into the truck and did the inspection. Then I headed to filling station where I got rental car fuel then I had midday rations and turned in the rental car. I got a ride back to the shipper and got underway.

Trip: Indianapolis, IN to Grain Valley, MO 465 miles
Make: 2012 International
Model: Box Truck
Route: US421 to Interstate 465 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 270 to Interstate 70
Maximum elevation: unknown
Diesel price USA: 2.599$ per gallon at Mr. Fuel Foristell, MO

This was a fairly uneventful trip. The weather was fair but hot and high temperatures got up into the 90's F in many parts of Indiana. I stopped in Greenup, IL and had evening rations at Backyard BBQ. Afterward I continued west and spent the night in Hazelwood, MO.

Wednesday I took on fuel in Foristell, MO and had midday rations. Then I had a few drops of rain in Kingdom City, MO. I saw the sunset in Sweet Springs, MO and made a final stop in Oak Grove, MO before dropping off the truck in Grain Valley, MO. Afterward I got transport to Independence, MO where I spent the night.

Trip: Kansas City, MO to Corsicana, TX 561 miles
Make: 2018 Peterbilt
Model: Cab and Chassis
Route: Interstate 435 to Local Streets to Interstate 35 to Interstate 35W to US287 to Interstate 45 to US287
Maximum elevation: unknown but Wichita, KS is listed at 1,300 feet
Highest diesel price USA: 2.699$ per gallon at Flying J Kansas City, MO
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.599$ per gallon at Pilot Tonkawa, OK

Thursday I got transport to the next shipper in Kansas City, MO. I made the pickup and headed to the Flying J to take on fuel then I headed to a Lowe's to get some clamps to secure the temporary mudflaps. Afterward I stopped in Leawood, KS to have some Kansas City BBQ. Then I hopped on the 35 and headed south and spent the night in Wichita, KS.

Friday I continued south into Oklahoma and took on fuel in Tonkawa. I talked to the customer and talked about delivery options. I spent the night in Ardmore, OK.

Saturday I entered Texas. I stopped in Gainesville, RX then Denton, TX and made 2 stops in Fort Worth before hitting congestion closer to downtown Fort Worth. I took US287 which went through Mansfield, TX then Waxahachie, TX before I made it to Corsicana where I checked into hotel for two nights and offloaded almost all my gear. Then I headed to the receiver where I did an after hours drop then I got transport back to hotel and spent the night in Corsicana, TX.

Sunday I was taken to Landmark Independent Baptist Church for Sunday School and Morning Service. Sunday School was on the book of Ruth and the church service was on First Thessalonians 4:13-18. I was taken back to hotel after getting midday rations to go from Dickey's BBQ. I was picked up and taken back to Landmark Independent Baptist Church for Sunday Evening service. The topic was "Consider Christ." Afterward I was taken back to hotel and spent a second night in Corsicana, TX.

Monday I checked out and camped out in the hotel lobby while considering my options. I finally accepted a trip and got transport to Alvarado, TX.

Trip: Alvarado, TX to Monroe, LA 317 miles
Make: 2017 Dodge
Model: Bucket Truck
Route: US67 to Interstate 20
Maximum elevation: unknown but not very high
Highest diesel price USA: 2.699$ per gallon at Tiger Mart Venus, TX
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.459$ per gallon at Corner Store Cedar Hill, TX

I got underway and while on US67 I did all my fueling. I stopped in Cedar Hill and had evening rations at Soulmens BBQ. I also saw the sunset there. Afterward I continued and got on Interstate 20 in Dallas. I continued east and spent the night in Longview, TX.

Tuesday there was rain in Longview, TX and the first part of the drive was wet. I continued east into Louisiana and the rain quit. There was construction and lane closure around Minden, LA. I made delivery in Monroe, LA and got a ride to local rental car office where I got a rental car to Prairieville, LA in preparation for my next trip. I took some pictures of downtown Monroe, LA. I had Alligator Meat for evening rations at Scott's Seafood in West Monroe, LA before heading south to Alexandria, LA where I spent the night.

My ride from Indianapolis, Indiana to Grain Valley, Missouri

Sweet Springs, Missouri sunset 27th September 2017

Corsicana, Texas

Corsicana, Texas

Corsicana, Texas

Cedar Hill, Texas

Cedar Hill, Texas sunset 2nd October 2017

Monroe, Louisiana

Monroe, Louisiana

Monroe, Louisiana
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Bayou to Prairie; Rolling Bomb to Houston

Part IV: 4th October to 12th October

I awoke on Wednesday the 4th of October in Alexandria, Louisiana. I stopped for rental car fuel and unleaded was only 2.119$ per gallon in Opelousas, Louisiana. I took US190 as an alternate to Interstate 10 across the Atchafalaya Basin and rejoined Interstate 10 in Port Allen. I crossed the Mississippi River over to the "dirty side" and headed to Saint-Gabriel where I arrived at the shipper. The shipper was able to start the truck without any trouble which was a pleasant surprise as it seemed the truck was sitting at the shipper forever. I loaded my gear and did the inspection then headed to Prairieville to turn in the rental car and afterward I got transport back to the truck.

Trip: Saint-Gabriel, LA to Rozel, KS diverted to Great Bend, KS 910 miles
Make: 2012 Peterbilt
Model: Water Truck (Tank)
Transmission: Standard 18-speed
Route: Louisiana 30 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 49 to Louisiana 3132 to Interstate 20 to US80 to Interstate 635 to Interstate 35E to Interstate 35 to Interstate 135 to US56
Maximum elevation: unknown but Great Bend, KS is listed at 1,850 feet
Highest diesel price USA: 2.659$ per gallon at Flying J Greenwood, LA
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.599$ per gallon at Pilot Breaux Bridge, LA and Tonkawa, OK

I had evening rations at the truckstop and it was after sunset before I actually got underway. I drove past LSU on Louisiana 30 before hooking up with Interstate 10 and I then crossed the Mississippi. I stopped in Breaux Bridge for fuel in order to see how the fuel economy would be. That was a mistake as a semi was parked illegally and causing traffic gridlock in the truckstop. The police were present and eventually the offending semi left. Perhaps that semi was equipped with an ELD and the driver was out of hours. I finally got the fuel and left and did not go much farther before I shut down and spent the night in Lafayette, LA.

Thursday it was warm and humid. I stopped shy of Shreveport to have evening rations which consisted of two chicken tenders and one piece of catfish. The westbound scale on Interstate 20 in Louisiana was closed so I motored on into Texas and I spent the night in Longview, TX.

Friday it was warm. I had midday rations at Soulman's BBQ in Van, TX then I stopped and held short in Terrell, TX and held short to allow time for traffic to die down in the DFW Metroplex. Then I headed west into the Metroplex and traffic moved well at first but there was a traffic jam on Interstate 635. The speed limit on that part of Interstate 635 was 70mph in regular lanes and 75mph in the new Toll Lanes. Then I got on northbound Interstate 35E. This was the first time in a long time that I took the 35E due to major construction. Almost all the construction was done except for some in and around Denton. However I still don't like Interstate 35E due to narrower lanes due to the new High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes. I made it to Ardmore, OK where I spent the night.

Saturday was fair and warm and I continued north on Interstate 35. I stopped in Pauls Valley, OK for midday rations then got caught in traffic between Norman and Oklahoma City as a college football game in Norman let out. I made a pit stop in Guthrie then took on fuel in Tonkawa, OK. I made it to Wichita, KS where I spent the night.

Sunday morning I attended service at Lincoln Baptist Church in Wichita, KS. This was the first time I went to any church in Wichita. Then I got rolling and stopped for midday rations in Newton before exiting the Interstate in McPherson and I started my run west on US56. The weather was nice and it got up to at least 80F. I entered Great Bend and proceeded to hotel where I checked in and offloaded almost all my gear. Then I took the truck to where the customer told me to drop it and did an after hours drop as the sun set. I walked back to the hotel then I walked to Pizza Hut where I had evening rations. I spent the night in Great Bend, KS.

On Monday I awoke to a cloudy and windy day and the temperature only got up into the 50sF. I accepted a trip out of Kansas City so I got in a rental car. The rental car was very low on fuel so I got fuel in Great Bend which cost 2.199$ per gallon for unleaded. I took some pictures of Great Bend then proceeded to Hoisington, Claflin, Lindsborg and Salina, KS and took some pictures of those cities. I had early evening rations at Freddy's Steakburger in Salina, KS which was similar to Steak & Shake except prices were higher. Afterward I got on Interstate 70 and headed east. I spent the night in Kansas City, KS.

Tuesday I headed to the shipper and I was going to load my gear into the truck but there was an issue and there was a question whether I would be able to take the truck due to a technical issue. I had to turn in the rental car so I headed to where I was told to and was sent to another location closer to the shipper. While waiting for ride back to shipper it started to rain. I finally was taken back to shipper and I completed the pickup in the rain.

Trip: Kansas City, KS to Houston, TX 746 miles
Make: 2018 Peterbilt
Model: Tank Truck Placarded UN1203
Route: Kansas 32 to Interstate 635 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 35W to Texas 114 to Loop 12 to Spur 408 to Interstate 20 to Interstate 45 to Interstate 610
Maximum elevation: unknown but Wichita, KS on Interstate 35 is listed at 1,300 feet
Highest diesel price USA: 2.699$ per gallon at Pilot Kansas City, KS
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.539$ per gallon at Pilot Buffalo, TX

I headed to truckstop to take on fuel and the rain diminished. It quit raining by the time I got out of the Kansas City area. I made various pit stops and ended up in Blackwell, OK where I spent the night.

Wednesday I took on fuel in Tonkawa, OK and Ardmore, OK. I had midday rations in Edmond, OK at Sonic. I made it to Corsicana, TX and spent the night there.

Thursday it was warm. I took on fuel in Buffalo, TX. The lights for the weigh scale in Centerville, TX were flashing indicating that the scale was open. I saw numerous semi trucks parked on the breakdown lane. I guess the drivers were afraid of being inspected. The lights quit flashing just before I reached the ramp for the weigh scale so I breathed a sigh of relief and proceeded as planned. I made a pit stop and ate in Huntsville, TX before continuing south toward Houston. There was a wreck and lane blockage on Interstate 45 near the Hardy Toll Road that caused congestion. It was slow to the 610 ring road around Houston but wide open once I got on the 610. I was able to make delivery minutes before the receiver closed for the day.I got transportation to a hotel on the other side of Houston as closer hotels were booked full. I had evening rations at a Hibachi buffet and thought I got my moneys worth. I spent the night in Houston, TX.

My ride from Saint-Gabriel, Louisiana to Rozel, Kansas. I was diverted to Great Bend, Kansas.

Between Prairieville and Saint-Gabriel, Louisiana

sunset 4th October 2017 Saint-Gabriel, Louisiana

Braman, Oklahoma Water Tower changed colours

Lincoln Baptist Church Wichita, Kansas

Great Bend, Kansas

Hoisington, Kansas

Claflin, Kansas

Lindsborg, Kansas

Salina, Kansas
AJO likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Houston Layover; Flight Home

Part V: 13th October to 14th October

I extended my hotel stay for Friday because I felt bad due to "something" that I ate the previous evening at the Hibachi Buffet next door to where I was staying. I felt bad the latter part of the previous night and all morning but I felt better later in the afternoon. I booked a flight home for the next day as no suitable trips were available. I had evening rations at Denny's. I spent the night in Houston, TX.

Saturday I awoke and got prepared and at noon I got transport to HOU. I checked in and my bags weighed 46 and 43lbs. I cleared security after a queue and did not opt out due to time constraints. Time elapsed from beginning of check in to clear of security was 25 minutes.

Southwest #4307 HOU-LAX B-737-700 Boarding Pass A55
Seat 20A Cruising altitude 38,000 feet Estimated flying time 3:00, actual 2:59
Depart: Gate 5 Scheduled 13h50, actual 13h54 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 11 Scheduled 15h25, actual 15h14 Taxi: 11 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 21-25 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. The plane was full. Pushback was 4 minutes late. Takeoff was to the east southeast. and I got a glimpse of downtown Houston and I saw what looked to be water damage on tops of some of the buildings. We went into and out of clouds early in the clime and there were some bumps. At 0:08 I saw Brookshire, TX, Interstate 10 and the Brazos River.

At 0:20 we passed over the south part of the Austin area and at 0:21 my drink order was taken. At 0:23 seatbelt sign went off as cruise was announnced and it was 70F and some haze at LAX and we were 30 minutes ahead of schedule but may slow down due to air traffic control. At 0:25 I got Wheat Thins and Peanuts. At 0:40 I saw Sonora, TX and Interstate 10 through breaks in the clouds. I got pretzels and cup of soda at 0:43 as we came abreast of Ozona, TX. At 0:50 I saw and we followed the Pecos River before it turned more north.

At 0:55 I saw Fort Stockton, TX to the near distance. At 1:00 I got second cup of soda. At 1:02 we crossed Interstate 20 just west of Pecos, TX and at 1:12 I got more Wheat Thins. At 1:17 I got first glimpse of the Rio Grande to the distance then there were clouds. At 1:20 the clouds broke and I saw the eastern part of El Paso, TX including the junction of Interstate 10 and Loop 375. At 1:22 I saw downtown El Paso and the Sun Bowl. I also saw Juarez and Old Mexico.

At 1:56 I saw the Tucson, AZ metro area to the south. At 1:59 I saw Picacho Peak and I saw Eloy, AZ at 2:00. At 2:02 I saw Casa Grande, AZ and the split between Interstate 10 and Interstate 8. I saw Interstate 10 near Salome, AZ at 2:19 and I saw Quartzsite, AZ at 2:23. At 2:26 we crossed the Colorado River into California airspace and I saw Blythe, CA to the south. I saw the Salton Sea to the distance at 2:33. Ifelt descent begin at 2:34 somewhere over Joshua Tree National Park. I saw the Coachella Valley at 2:39 and I saw Desert Hot Springs and Palm Springs at 2:41. I saw the Junction of California 62 and Interstate 10 at 2:42 and at 2:43 I saw Cabazon, CA and the Morongo Casino while abreast of Mt. San Jacinto.

I saw Banning and Beaumont, CA at 2:44 and I saw the Interstate 10/California 60 split at 2:45. At the same time I saw the Hemet/San Jacinto area and Diamond Valley Lake to the south. I saw Lake Perris at 2:46 and Moreno Valley at 2:47. We crossed California 60 and I saw the split with Interstate 215 at 2:48 over Riverside, CA and it was announced it was 77F at LAX. We crossed Interstate 15 at 2:50 and I saw the Corona/Norco area. We crossed California 71 at 2:51 and I saw Chino Hills and California 91 to the south. We crossed California 57 at 2:52 and I saw Diamond Bar and Brea Canyon. We crossed Interstate 605 and Interstate 5 at 2:55. We crossed Interstate 710 at 2:56 and we crossed Interstate 110 at 2:57. We crossed Interstate 405 at 2:59 and landed east to west. We arrived at gate 11 minutes early and deplaned via jetway. I got my checked bags and got transport home to end this tour of duty.

WN4307 HOU-LAX Very soon after takeoff

WN4307 HOU-LAX Ozona, TX

WN4307 HOU-LAX El Paso, TX

WN4307 HOU-LAX Lake Perris

WN4307 HOU-LAX Interstate 15, Santa Ana River and Corona/Norco area

WN4307 HOU-LAX Approaching LAX

WN4307 HOU-LAX Taxi after Landing. Construction is going on at LAX.
AJO likes this.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Jul 9, 2022 at 7:07 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:07 am

Great trip report.love the photos.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Appreciated photos of your rides

I've been reading your trip reports since forever and have always wondered what the trucks you are transporting look like.

Thanks for the trip report.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Great report! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onedog
Appreciated photos of your rides

I've been reading your trip reports since forever and have always wondered what the trucks you are transporting look like.
Agreed. ^

At times I put your routes into google map to see where you have gone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.