Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eating South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks!

The water restrictions were more in the direction of encouraging the minimal use of water: we didn't actually encounter any actual restrictions.

The buckets in S'bosch were a strong visual reminder to minimise. Between the 2 of us we would fill about 3/4 of that bucket when showering, which shows how much you can waste!

In F'hoek there was a notice in the bathroom along the lines of "Take a shower rather than a bath, and sing just 2 songs instead of 3."
Great trip report Uncle T. Mrs rapidex has just finished looking and told me I need to take her.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rapidex
Great trip report Uncle T. Mrs rapidex has just finished looking and told me I need to take her.
Oh, dear, what have I done?

Oh, go on, give her a treat. You might even enjoy it yourself!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, dear, what have I done?

Oh, go on, give her a treat. You might even enjoy it yourself!
With all that wine, how could I not.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Nice TR T8191. I'd agree re you putting more pics of the destination/food/rooms/views etc and I genuinely enjoyed that.

The Citrus Cheesecake looked fab and I particularly liked the Franschhoek Villa, looks fab and certainly food for thought for me when I go there sometime. Thanks again, I know there is a lot of work in those TR's and this is a very good one, thanks for sharing.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Nice TR T8191. I'd agree re you putting more pics of the destination/food/rooms/views etc and I genuinely enjoyed that.

The Citrus Cheesecake looked fab and I particularly liked the Franschhoek Villa, looks fab and certainly food for thought for me when I go there sometime. Thanks again, I know there is a lot of work in those TR's and this is a very good one, thanks for sharing.
Comments much appreciated. Thank you! ^
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Thanks T8191. I was in South Africa 2 years ago (further North) but you've inspired me to go again and check out some new places.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Thanks T8191. I was in South Africa 2 years ago (further North) but you've inspired me to go again and check out some new places.
The Western Cape is an easy place to sell
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
So glad that you returned to my Country and one of the most amazing regions in the world. It seems that you once again had a great trip - it was great reading your narrative, as per usual. Thank you.
It is a pity about the drought - but that cannot be helped. Hope that you have many more interesting trips that you will share with us.
Posting this from a warm 28 C Johannesburg, and enjoying a chilled Pierre Jourdan Tranquille. May 2018 be good to both you and iWife.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cheers, roadwarrior ... I'm already looking for rawards for this time next year!! We are, obviously, now addicted
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Excellent trip report. I really enjoyed reading it. My wife is from Cape Town so I try and get there as much as possible (was there for Christmas) . It was great seeing new places to try on my next trip (I haven't explored Stellenbosch or franschhoek much). There are some lovely restaurants near Constantine, fishoek and Hout Bay too that I would recommend. We also did a safari near Port Elizabeth this year (malaria free) which was amazing.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by madmax_uk
Excellent trip report. I really enjoyed reading it. My wife is from Cape Town so I try and get there as much as possible (was there for Christmas) . It was great seeing new places to try on my next trip (I haven't explored Stellenbosch or franschhoek much). There are some lovely restaurants near Constantine, fishoek and Hout Bay too that I would recommend. We also did a safari near Port Elizabeth this year (malaria free) which was amazing.
Oh, S'bosch and F'hoek are a MUST. Both an hour [or less] from C.T. ... we were surprised how easy and cheap it was. Not personally overwhelmed by the other options near C.T. ... too far from the Winelands, perhaps?

We will review once we can find the affordable flights!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:17 am

Western Cape is really nice, we went there three subsequent years. Franschhoek was a little disappointment, no real South Africa and expensive. But other places: Montagu, Paarl, Tulbagh, etc, really nice !
We'll soon get back, but first to Australia !
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Western Cape is really nice, we went there three subsequent years. Franschhoek was a little disappointment, no real South Africa and expensive. But other places: Montagu, Paarl, Tulbagh, etc, really nice !
We'll soon get back, but first to Australia !
Expensive? Depends on financial perspectives, I guess.

I do agree that F'hoek is a strange place in itself - Art galleries, Estate Agents, a few restaurants and not a lot else on the strip.

However, your other suggestions will be explored by my Hotel Booking colleague
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Great TR there Uncle T.

OK, you've got the job at The Cape Town Tourist Board - Food and Wine section ^
T8191 and roadwarrier like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:17 am

Hello uncle T
My wife and I are in room 8 .at rhe Eendracht. a coincidence

I checked on the balcony .. and the rock pigeon is still there . I will try to upload a photo, but I am a novice at such things

I have found your TR very infirmative.

As background we flew LGW CPT on 29th dec. . Thomas Cook . No complaints
We stayed at the Inn on the Square in central Captown, and moved to Stellenbosch on the 4th
We move to Franchoek on the 9th .
Camps bay on the 11th
fly home 15th

We share your appreciation of the Western Cape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.