Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eating South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Thanks for taking time to post this TR. you brought back so many memories to me, particularly from Franschhoek. What a wonderful place it is. I second your opinion on the rib eye at the village butcher!
It's interesting how many FT-ers have ended up in the same places in the Western Cape!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Entertaining trip report, thanks.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kosy91
Entertaining trip report, thanks.
Appreciated ^

As noted at the outset, I wasn't sure how the food focus would work! I hoped the Thread title would be effective click-bait
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Wonderful. As always. I need to spend some more time in the wine regions next time I visit South Africa rather than just staying in the city and doing day trips here and there. Thanks for the inspiration!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:16 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I've stayed at all the hotels you used in this trip and share your views to the letter. I especially liked the Eendracht in Stellenbosch; friendly, affordable and incredibly convenient. Your TR has me wanting to leave tomorrow.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stu1985
Wonderful. As always. I need to spend some more time in the wine regions next time I visit South Africa rather than just staying in the city and doing day trips here and there. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks! Now DO IT Stellenbosch is but an hour away by 400R taxi, and you can see by Gardyloo's comments how popular these places are!

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I've stayed at all the hotels you used in this trip and share your views to the letter. I especially liked the Eendracht in Stellenbosch; friendly, affordable and incredibly convenient. Your TR has me wanting to leave tomorrow.
I suppose it's a self-selecting 'elite', but certainly some of us seem to share the same good taste and judgement

And, yes, the Eendracht is soooo cute, affordable and perfectly located. I worry about not being able to get a reservation at this rate ... I kept my MLA B&B secret for that very reason
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by T8191
1545 had us kerbside at JNB
Cheers for the TR. When you said JNB, I assumed you meant CPT?

I was in Pretoria 2 years ago for work. Was very jealous of my colleagues who went to Stellenbosch. I have to go myself!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Once again great report Mr T8191 ! I have fond memories of of The Southern Sun (The Cullinan ), before i permanently moved to Cape Town, i was staying at the hotel in 2005 on holiday and after a previous heavy night out at a family wedding i thought and deiced it would be a smart idea to fall asleep on the deck chairs for about 8hrs in a 34 degree heat wave with direct sunlight shining upon me , needles to say serious case of heatstroke and a trip and overnight stay in Vincent Piloti Hospital !
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:24 am

Very nice review - good to see more of the destination as opposed to airports, aircraft, seats/beds and the typical champagne shots ^

I thought you and iWife did not have big appetites
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Very nice review - good to see more of the destination as opposed to airports, aircraft, seats/beds and the typical champagne shots ^

I thought you and iWife did not have big appetites
Haha ... many thanks, I wondered whether a change of subject would be interesting!

Modest appetites, as is typical for older folks. A decent breakfast, a late lunch and very few desserts worked fine. Does wine have calories?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Well said...the flying part of a trip report no longer interests me as they tend to be rather predictable with some DYKWIA comments thrown in for good measure.

Must say restaurant food doesn't interest me much either but I did enjoy this report T8191...great idea to provide us with the prices as well. My wife is forever telling me how excellent the food was when she toured the area especially the breakfast spreads and your pictures seem to show those standards have remained since her visit all those years ago.If we ever decide to move back to the UK even I might be tempted to jump on a plane to CPT.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for that, HIDDY ^

I guess I thought of putting in prices to show that some of us on FT live in the real world, and don't swallow £125/bottle champagne on a regular basis! My fag-packet calculation (never without one!) seems to show it all cost <£3k for the 2 weeks (accommodation, F&B, taxis). The air fare aspect is, of course a lottery! But adding our 2-4-1 made it around £4k for the whole thing ... now THAT is a bargain

The quality of food, wine and staff is another dimension altogether! Best of any destination we've been to.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
My fag-packet calculation (never without one!) seems to show it all cost <£3k for the 2 weeks (accommodation, F&B, taxis).
That's excellent value. ^

Seen as you mentioned fag packets...did you inquire into the cost of a 20 pack while there?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
That's excellent value. ^

Seen as you mentioned fag packets...did you inquire into the cost of a 20 pack while there?
High street price for Marlboro Gold = ~40R = £2 and a bit. Here they're about £9 *cough*
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for sharing another great TR from you.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.