Reload this Page >

November in Antarctica

November in Antarctica

Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: British Airways
Great Photos. Many Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by MastaHanky
The temperature was surprisingly mild - the coldest we experienced was probably in the 20s, although the wind chill brought it down a bit further. On the sunny days it probably reached 40F. At more than one point I stripped down my top layer to just a T-shirt or a sweater (although I still left all my bottom layers on).

I'm sure there was some danger of falling in the water for the paddle-boarders. They only got to do it when conditions were pristine, and I'm sure they had some kind of safety briefing about it. I don't know what it entailed.

You are not allowed to approach the penguins and they ask that you keep at least 10-15 feet away from them. However you do not need to move should the penguins approach you, and this happened routinely. On more than one occasion I had a penguin just stroll by within arm's reach. Most of the photos were done with a telephoto lens though.
Thanks for the answers MastaHanky. Just an incredible TR- Antarctica looks otherwordly.

- Any tips for last minute booking with Quark and did you consider any other operators?
- Which city did you depart from?
- Any seasickness on the Drake Passage crossing?

Sorry for all the questions. It's such an interesting destination!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
Amazing trip report thanks, I've checked out some of the options for similar cruises and they seem to clock in around Ł5-Ł8k was that your experience? Any pointers for booking?
I paid Ł5300 for my booking, which was a private single cabin. If you are willing to share a cabin with a stranger you can get that down to below Ł4500 if you wait for the sale.

Any tips for last minute booking with Quark and did you consider any other operators?
Their yearly 50%-off sale is usually the last week of September or first week of October. Flexibility is key - I cleared my entire winter (November through March), and that way when they announced the departures that were on sale I didn't have to worry about any conflicts. I looked at a few other operators and they seemed to be more luxurious (and more expensive). I'm a simple man and don't need all of that!

- Which city did you depart from?
This particular departure was an all-inclusive. I flew into Buenos Aires, and the package included a one-night stay there and a charter flight to Ushuaia where we boarded. Other options will require you to get to Ushuaia on your own.

They also have an option to depart from Punta Arenas, Chile.

I'd be afraid of seasickness on the passage to and from Antarctica though.
- Any seasickness on the Drake Passage crossing?
This was my biggest fear too, especially since I'm very prone to it. I went to my doctor before the trip who prescribed me some scopolamine patches, and let me tell you, they worked AMAZINGLY well. The water wasn't violent but definitely turbulent, and my body was very aware of it - but no symptoms of seasickness whatsoever. I ate everything I wanted and drank as much as I wanted with no illness at all. I did have one strange side-effect from the patch - it gave me double vision and made it difficult to do some things like read a book, but it didn't affect most of my other activities. It's vital to apply the patch a couple of hours before you board the ship - I put mine on that morning before boarding the charter flight.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
This is nuts! It never crossed my mind to take time to go there but your trip report is pretty amazing looking. Your pictures are beautiful and it seems like an incredible experience. Do you have any pictures of the boat and what those two days looked like on board?

Thanks for sharing!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Fantastic pictures, if only DanielW was there with you for the drone pics
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the stunning pictures you managed to get. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Great TR! Love the pictures.

So, did you get a penguin to stamp your passport in Antarctica?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:54 pm

Great TR. My wife and I did a cruise to Antarctica in Feb. 2016 with Seaborn. It was truly a trip of a lifetime.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wow. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:48 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Amazing TR and photos! Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp, One World Emerald
Wow, incredible TR
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Amazing, amazing photos!!! Thank you for posting ^^
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:07 pm

Wow! That is such an extremely cold place!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Very cool (literally!). I am going there in a few weeks, on One Ocean Expeditions and their ship Akademik Sergey Vavilov. Starting in Punta Arenas, fly to Falkland Islands (Stanley), then hop on a ship there with 90 others, and head south, and eventually crossing the Antarctic Circle. End the trip at King George Island where I take a charter jet, looks like the DAP BAe-146, from a gravel runway!)
Questions:
What did you miss the most on the trip (something you wish you brought with you)
What age group were the other travelers?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrtrickdk
Very cool (literally!). I am going there in a few weeks, on One Ocean Expeditions and their ship Akademik Sergey Vavilov. Starting in Punta Arenas, fly to Falkland Islands (Stanley), then hop on a ship there with 90 others, and head south, and eventually crossing the Antarctic Circle. End the trip at King George Island where I take a charter jet, looks like the DAP BAe-146, from a gravel runway!)
I was hoping to do one of the fly-in expeditions myself - hopefully I'll have an opportunity again in the future.

What did you miss the most on the trip (something you wish you brought with you)
A better telephoto lens! I'm missing a nice telephoto lens from my set and I had thought about renting one, but decided against it. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Personal item-wise, I brought everything I wish I had. We had a good packing list - in fact, I would probably say that I overpacked, and don't be afraid to leave a little bit of extra clothing behind.

Two things you may not think about but are absolutely necessary are sunglasses and sunscreen. The snow can be blinding on a sunny day, and even if it's freezing out, you're still susceptible to sunburn.

What age group were the other travelers?
There was quite the broad range - I would say it was about 30% people in their late 20s-30s, 25% in their 40s-50s, 40% newly retired, and another 5% in their 70s or up. There was one lady onboard who celebrated her 80th birthday on the ship.

Nationalities were about 40% US, 40% Australian, 10% Chinese, and 10% other - mostly Canadian, but there were a few Brits, a Spaniard, and a Japanese couple on my ship.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.