Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First time to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (and other parts of the Al-Jazeera region)

First time to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (and other parts of the Al-Jazeera region)

Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:48 am

Cool TR, bwiadca. Saudi sounds like a crazy place to live and work.

I’ve got tea boys at work too (Dubai). Great to have cappuccinos and Turkish coffee on demand.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
[QUOTE=bwiadca;
As for the prayers. Here in Riyadh they pray 6 times a day. I found out the hard way. Was going for lunch, closed. Later I went back to get some OJ, closed. I've been told by local guy to go to muslimpro.com It shows you every prayer each day.
For example today they had prayers at:
5:11
6:29
11:53
14:51
17:15
18:43

I've seen those London taxis at the airport. I'll take them next time.

As a Saudi (now in your city, Vienna,VA) and a Muslim i know for a fact that there is only 5 prayers a day.
We pray in the morning, midday, afternoon, sunset and evening.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DanielW
Cool TR, bwiadca. Saudi sounds like a crazy place to live and work.

I’ve got tea boys at work too (Dubai). Great to have cappuccinos and Turkish coffee on demand.
I didn't like Turkish coffee before coming to Saudi. I guess I never had properly made one. Now the tea boys when they see me, they know exactly what I want

Originally Posted by SMART51
As a Saudi (now in your city, Vienna,VA) and a Muslim i know for a fact that there is only 5 prayers a day.
We pray in the morning, midday, afternoon, sunset and evening.
I was just following the app. It's really not that important if it's 5 or 6 times a day. Enjoy cold weather in DC I'm flying home tonight
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Talking

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I

I was just following the app. It's really not that important if it's 5 or 6 times a day. Enjoy cold weather in DC I'm flying home tonight
It's important to me, otherwise i missed a lot of prayers:

Not really that cold, in the 60's on Saturday, then it will get colder, very slight chance of few flurry's on Xmas day.
Seasons greeting
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:11 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Checked out from the hotel at 1am and got Uber to the airport. Before I left I've requested upgrades on my two upcoming flights.
By the time I've got to the airport I've received email that unfortunately both flights are full and there is no possibility of purchasing upgrades. Short flights, not a big of a deal. I was dropped off at the departures level and proceeded to the check in desk.
Business class counter was empty, so I was checked in very fast. On my boarding pass, the agent wrote Oryx and explained it to me, that I can use Oryx lounge right after passing security. Lane to passport control was crazy long at this early hour. It took probably 30 minutes just to have passport stamped. Security check took less than 5 minutes.
After the checks you are let in to the huge space with huge teddy bear

Went to the Oryx lounge and found place at the very end. There were some guys from UK also going to Dubai. I had small talk with them, they've said that there is no alcohol in this lounge. Have to wait few more hours to have a proper drink
After having some finger food, I went to the smoking room in the lounge. I was very confused, because waiter brought to some guy big glass of whiskey with ice. I can smell whiskey when I'm around it. It wasn't ice-T. As I was leaving anyway I didn't investigate.

December 14 2017
WY668
DOH - MCT
Oman Air
Boeing 737-900
A4O-BY
34F Economy Class
Actual flight time: 1:05hr

I left the lounge and walked to my gate. On the way I bought some souvenirs from the store. Then I wanted to see on FR24 registration of my aircraft that will take me to Muscat. It was 15 minutes until boarding but the aircraft was still in flight and 30 minutes away from DOH. Great, another Oman Air flight late. At the gate I saw that my flight is delayed until 5am, but people were queuing to board. I was confused. Maybe there is another aircraft on the ground. Then some gentlemen working the flight said that the flight will board in 1 hour or maybe even earlier. So I can't go back to the lounge, and there is no place to seat. You have almost 200 people by the gate and they wont let them in to the seating area. What's the point of the chairs passed ticket check at the gate? Anyway, I went back few gates and found empty chairs.
Boarding started few minutes before 5am. I still had plenty of time to catch my connection in Muscat, as my original itinerary had 4 hours layover at MCT. Boarding took almost another hour and we were very late. Now I started worrying about my upcoming connection.
We took off very late and soon after they started serving prepackaged sandwich and drinks. However, I was in the back so by the time they started preparation for landing, they managed to serve only people up to row 22. I was thirsty but I can wait until the next flight, or maybe I can have some time in the lounge at MCT. The aircraft landed late and the bus came very late to pick up people.

By the time I boarded the bus to terminal, my boarding for next flight has already started. I've decided to try my luck and see if I can use my silver status with Oman Air, by going via fast track lane.
By the time I've got to security check point my flight started boarding 15 minutes earlier. Asked attendant at the security check point if I can use fast track (as a silver with Oman Air), he said yes, please go ahead. I had to open the tape thing in the fast track lane. Then some military guy started yelling at me. I've calmly explained to him that my flight started boarding 15 minutes ago, that I am silver with Oman and that the attendant told me to go ahead. He's replay was "I DON'T CARE!!!!! GET OUT OF MY SECURITY CHECK POINT!!!", I started apologizing, not to piss him off even more. Then he called the attendant and he was yelling at him in front of 200 people. Saying that he's going to beat the living crap out of him. I begged him to let me go via the fast track as I would miss my connection. After saying Sorry and Please so many times, the rude military guy let me go. I've made the last bus to the plane.
I was really scared. Because of this incident I will never go back via Oman Air ever again. The military guy was acting as I just killed somebody and got caught. Its not WTH anymore, it's .... I'm done with Oman Air and Oman as a whole. I've been to over 40 countries, and never at any place that I have visited, somebody would be this delusional.

Had to run to my gate, there was already queue being created for the next flight departing from this gate. I was afraid that I've missed my flight. Thankfully some agent was yelling that they are still waiting for passengers departing to Dubai.
I've made the last bus to the airplane!

December 14 2017
WY603
DOH - MCT
Oman Air
Boeing 737-900
A4O-BY
32A Economy Class
Actual flight time: 49 minutes

The bus approached the aircraft which I left 30 minutes ago. A lot of passengers from my Doha flight were also on this flight. This flight was also full. It wouldn't be an Oman Air flight if we left on time. This time only 30 minutes delay.
After the take off the cabin crew started in flight service. Around 20 minutes later I saw that my row wont be served, so I've asked passing FA for a cup of water. The answer was "we are about to land". So once again I didn't get water on the flight. The conclusion is, if you want water on Oman Air flight you have to seat before row 20.

Finally I was in Dubai. Another first for me. Left the jet bridge and followed the signs to the train. Arrived at the immigration and there was maze of people. It took over 30 minutes to get to the front of the lane. Then walk to the baggage claim, where my bag was already riding the belt. When I got my bag I went to duty free store to get something stronger for the weekend. Then ATM and I've requested Uber to my Hilton Garden Inn. The UberVIP wouldn't accept my request, so I switched to UberBlack. It was accepted and nice Tesla S picked me up from the taxi stand in front of Terminal 1. It was my first time in Tesla. When I saw the built in navigation system I was impressed. Never seen anything like that before.

Minutes later I've arrived at the hotel. I have requested specific room with the airport view, but was informed that it will be ready in 3 hours. That's fine, I'll wait on the roof

Dubai airport is on a bucket list for every spotter. I was so happy when I saw that the landings are from the sea side (runway 12L).
I've stayed on the roof almost until it got dark at 5pm, then I went downstairs to get key to my room.

I've opened my duty free purchase and relaxed little before going to the restaurant downstairs for first food in a long time.

I think I've ordered the biggest meal that they had on the menu. Lots of seafood. The waiter came and apologized that they are out of lobsters. No problem, just add more shrimps

After the dinner I went back to my room and had to do some work. I think I finally finished around 1am.
My alarm was set to 6am. Breakfast starts at 6:30am, but I was there already few minutes before. I was first person in the breakfast area, the lady working there asked me for my room number. After I've told her, she said "welcome Mr. BWIADCA" without looking at any lists.
I was impressed, and asked her how she can remember my name? Because you are gold HHonors member. That was pretty cool and impressive

The breakfast selection reminded more of European spread. I didn't order hot cooked meal because I was on hurry to get to the roof.
Just had some bread with cold cuts and veggies. Then quickly back to my room for my camera and one floor up to the roof.

Of course I was the first person there. The planes were still landing on runway 12L. I had bottle of water and my "special" drink mix. I had to go to my room just around 12 to refill my mix and then back on the roof until 5pm.
I was enjoying every minute on the rooftop pool area

When it got dark I went back downstairs to the restaurant to get some lunch/dinner. This time I've got butter chicken and pint of Heineken. Started eating, then realized that I don't have shot of it

After the meal I went back to my room to do some work.

Street view from the front of the hotel.

Again, I was working until 1-2am. I went couple of times to the roof to have a smoke during late evening hours. The pool area became hookah place. I got to know one employee after few trips to the roof. He gave me a fruit that looked like tomato, but was bitter sweet. Anyone know the name of the fruit?

My last morning in Dubai. Went back for breakfast, then to the roof.

Spotting until 10am, then I had to leave for the airport to catch my return flight to Riyadh via Bahrain.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Please tell me what did you do for fun. It's Friday 1pm and half a day wasted. I'm waiting for 3:30pm so I can take drive to aviation museum which opens at 4pm.
What else is here to do? I can't fly to Dubai every weekend. I'll be coming here more often but I need some joy after work. I hate shopping so going to the mall is not an option for me
Not much fun to do in Riyadh. The only thing I used to do there is to go Tahlia road and sit on one of the cafes there
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Wow. Really interesting as I’ve never been to that part of the world. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:03 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

December 16 2017
GF505
DXB - BAH
Gulf Air
Airbus A321-200
A9C-CE
30F Economy Class
Actual flight time: 51 minutes

As you can see, I didn't leave my hotel even once during my 2.5 days in Dubai. I will be working in this area for a while so I will have more chances to see the city.
After I checked out I've got Uber to the airport. Check in for Gulf Air was still closed. But after 10 minutes they were ready for passengers. Passport control and security check took about 20 minutes, then I went to shop for cosmetics for my fiance.
Then went to the sushi place to get some light food and couple of glasses of white wine.

The flight to Bahrain was full. It was another first for me, flying Gulf Air and going via Bahrain. Before I checked in, I've checked online for upgrade possibilities. However, they wanted almost $300 per leg to upgrade to business class. Not worth it.

I was searching for power outlets near my seat. FA said that they have USB charging ports below the seat. Unfortunately I couldn't locate one. I guess they don't have them in A321s.

The take off was on time and soon after I had my first view of the Dubai skyline

Inflight service consisted of water/juice and egg salad sandwich.

After short flight we've arrived at Bahrain.

Followed the transfer signs, had to pass security and I was in departure hall.
For some reason I was expecting Bahrain airport to be nice and modern. But it was as good as Muscat's existing terminal.
Just one duty free area, couple of restaurants and lack of seats by the gates.

I bought few things at the store and found place where I could charge my phone.

December 16 2017
GF167
BAH - RUH
Gulf Air
Airbus A330-200
A9C-KF
50K Economy Class
Actual flight time: 49 minutes

Boarding was announced and people started queuing at the gate. Visa checks and we were allowed to board.
This Airbus A330 also didn't have power plugs. Thankfully I've charged my phone a bit at the airport.

After the take off the food service started. It was exactly the same sandwich as on my previous flight, but this time with tuna salad.
Short, non eventful flight, and soon we were approaching Riyadh airport.

This time I queued Returning Visitors lane. It took only 5 minutes and I was waiting for my bag. It arrived!
Then I've made the trek to the white taxi stand. So many people were offering the rides.
This time I knew what to say before I even enter the car. The driver agreed to 100 SAR for the trip to Hilton Garden Inn on Olaya street.
It's 15 minutes further south of my previous hotel, so I figured that the price was fair.
My driver didn't speak English. The dispatcher at the airport told him where to go to my hotel. However, in the city I had to pull up my google maps and show him how to get to the hotel.

It was very long day. It was only 7pm but I couldn't go to sleep. The CEO of my company was coming at 11pm to the same hotel and I had to wait for him.

Again, I didn't do my homework, just booked the nearest Hilton hotel. I've told the CEO to stay here. He still makes fun out of me.
This hotel is very old, worn out and in sad shape. Service here also lacks. It took them 4 days to clean my room for the first time.
My CEO didn't have his room cleaned during his 3 day stay here. The answer from the front desk was "We are too busy".

I've met up with my boss and we agreed to meet 7:30am Sunday morning for breakfast, before we hit the road and go to the office.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Not much fun to do in Riyadh. The only thing I used to do there is to go Tahlia road and sit on one of the cafes there
I'll do more research before my next visit. I don't have much time for it, as I'll be coming back in almost two weeks from now.

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Wow. Really interesting as I’ve never been to that part of the world. Thanks for sharing.
The really interesting part was when there was Yemeni missile attack on the city last Tuesday. I'll write about it in the next part of the trip report.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Morning came way too fast. Met with my boss in the downstairs's restaurant and couldn't find decent food. The restaurant looks really nice but the food selection sucks. The OJ and coffee were the strongest sides from the breakfast.

Worked all day on this above food. Didn't have lunch. When we had free few minutes everything was closed for prayers. Only the tea boys were bringing us coffee every 30 minutes
Finished work late and when we got to the hotel we went next door to Red Onion. It's kind of Indian food. I love Indian food, but this food was bad. We didn't want to deal with the traffic to go to some decent place.

Next morning dejavu. Bad breakfast, no lunch, and dinner in the hotel's restaurant. With the chicken they serve, you can seriously injure somebody if you throw that chicken at them. Food was dry and bland. Best part of the dinner was fresh OJ and some cakes.

Tuesday December 19

After bad breakfast my boss checked out from the hotel and we went to the office. He had to leave by noon and I've stayed in the office by myself. An hour later he texted me asking if I've heard that explosion. It was strange because he wasn't anywhere near the office and he heard the same thing. At first I thought that it was some car backfiring. Then the news hit the town that Saudi military intercepted Yemeni Houthi missile by shooting it down with Patriot battery.

You can read about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...capital-riyadh

In the town business as usual. I didn't feel like nothing happened. It made me nervous, but safe. If the Saudi military is using Patriots and they know how to intercept the missile, I guess I'm safe.
Nobody in the office was talking about it. The only people who were excited, were the Uber drivers.
That was another first for me.

After another long day in the office I was starving. I didn't want to go far, nor eat in hotel's restaurant nor in Red Onion.
I found place next to hotel which sells only camel liver. I never had camel before, I would love to try it.

The place is basically right next door to the hotel. When I walked in all the locals were looking at me with confusion, then they were laughing under their noses. They stopped laughing when I ordered camel liver and camel soup.
Probably they thought that I got there by mistake and didn't know that it's only camel food there.

I took the food to go. The soup was absolutely bland. No flavor whatsoever, but the camel liver with onion and hot chilies was pretty good. It's not the food I would eat every day, but certainly I wouldn't mind having it once a month. The soup and the liver set me at 12 SAR (probably $4). It was definitely better than food in hotel's restaurant.

After that I was buying food in the restaurants near the office and bring it to the hotel.

During my last day in the office, one of the guys asked me if I would like to have typical Saudi dish. Sure, why not.
It was some kind of meat on the top of the rice and two types of pasta, fried onion and garlic/mild/spicy sauces to make it moist.
They gave me a lot. That food immediately put me to sleeping mode. Tea boy was making the runs to my office every 30 minutes again
After coming back to my room I wasn't hungry, so I skipped the dinner that night.

Yesterday morning I woke up very early. I was anxious to visit Saqr Aljazeera Aviation Museum. The museum open at 4pm so I had 10 hours to kill. That's when I started this trip report

Early morning on Olaya street

Metro construction next to the hotel (they work on the metro 24/7)

Then I've remembered that I didn't take picture of the view from my room. Yes, that's my view...

At 3:30pm I was downstairs ordering Uber. The driver dropped me of at the wrong gate. I was actually trying to enter Air Base They've told me that I have to walk 300 meters then turn right.

My main goal of the visit was Saudi Lockheed L1011 in 80s green colors. Got great shots and I continued to the next exhibit which I really wanted, Saudi B707 in the late 80s desert sand colors. After shooting all airplanes on the outside, I went inside to photograph airplanes in the building. BTW - all pictures in this trip report are taken with my cellphone. In the museum and in Dubai I was using my proper Nikon camera. So sorry for the poor quality.

That was highlight of my stay in Riyadh. Happy to get those airplanes. After the museum I went to hotel's restaurant to eat something.
I was informed that there is not enough guests to have buffet open. Everything is ala carte.

I've got Margarita pizza. Fresh mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil. That's what the menu said.
What I actually got was microwave blasted yellow cheese on defrosted pizza crust with few sprinkles of dried oregano...
With glass of OJ it was only $30...

This morning I went for my last breakfast. Had the usual dry omelette with beef sausage and spongy hash browns. Never again.
All day I'm counting the minutes before I depart from this hotel.

At least I know that my next stay in Riyadh will be in hotel for minimum of $250 a night. There is no way that I will stay in dumps like this Hilton Garden Inn.

I'm going to shower now, and in 60 minutes I'm departing and heading home.

I'll continue this trip report after I get home.

Merry X-mass
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I see, a gourmet-trip. The food looks like the view from your toom....
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by offerendum
No pun intended!
standch likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:19 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Don't get me wrong. The food in KSA is good. The food in hotels in KSA was terrible. The problem is that after all day in the office and then long journey in traffic back to my hotel, I didn't always feel like taking another Uber back to get some good food. Next time I'll stay close to restaurants.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

December 24 2017
LH637
RUH - FRA
Lufthansa
Airbus A330-300
D-AIKR
25K Premium Economy Class
Actual flight time: 5:58hrs

After spending entire day in the hotel it was finally time to leave for the airport.
Around 9pm I went downstairs to check out. I've looked at my bill from the hotel and I've noticed that they credited only 7 nights in the hotel, and for the last night they charged me $100 Early Checkout fee! ...? Why they didn't leave as it was and gave me credit for 8 nights? Night in that hotel was $100. I'm mad. Next time I will not check out and get credit for all nights. I'm still paying for it regardless.
Had friendly Uber driver to the airport. He dropped me off at wrong terminal. When I walked to Terminal 2 I was approached by some employee who asked me which airline I'm flying. After I've told him Lufthansa, he directed me to the proper Terminal 1, which was about 5 minutes walking distance.
Earlier in the day I've upgraded myself to Premium Economy again. It's only $225 for this leg, but I wanted to have extra elbow room.

From the check-in time at the counter to being airside took about 20 minutes. Last duty free purchase and I was in the only lounge at T1. I had almost 2 hours to kill before boarding. Hot food selection was chicken goulash, beef in sauce and rice with raisins. The food was pretty good and it was my first real food that day (not counting pseudo breakfast in the hotel).

After the food I went to flightaware to check which aircraft I'll be flying on tonight. Then I saw that my aircraft just departed from Riyadh for Dammam. Why at the check in desk they didn't tell me that our flight will be late at least an hour?

So the new scheduled departure was showing as 1:50am.
Boarding started at 1:15am, our original departure time. The load was light. I don't know how many passengers boarded the flight in Dammam, but in Riyadh we didn't have more than 75 people. They had random security checks in the jetway. Thankfully I wasn't selected. It's not like I had something to hide, but it's pointless. I've seen the security people taking bottle of water from boarding passengers. Why??? Obviously they bought it past security.

Premium Economy cabin was as on my last flight. Everybody had empty seat next to them. We were greeted with glass of OJ.
Amenity kits were already on the seats, and the cabin crew distributed menus.

After take off, the drink service started. I've asked for glass of red wine. I was given two The FA said "Finally, ha?"
Yes, finally
With the wine I had two choices of snack. Veggie wrap or lamb wrap. I took the lamb one and it was ok. Nothing special, but it wasn't bad.

Exhausted I fall asleep. I woke up about 3 hours later when we hit severe turbulence. It was pretty strong and it continued for about 2 hours. Shortly before landing we were served breakfast. I've opted for omelette with sausage. The food tasted almost as good as in the hotel At least service on this flight was very nice.

We've arrived at FRA airport only 20 minutes behind the schedule. It gave me over an hour in the lounge by the C gates.
In the lounge I've fixed myself scotch with coke and I finally had moist eggs with pork sausage.

December 24 2017
LH1184
FRA - ZRH
Lufthansa
Airbus A320-200
D-AIZO
25A Economy Class
Actual flight time: 35 minutes

This flight was full. After only 35 minutes in the air we've touched down at Zurich airport.
Because of the short duration of the flight, the FA was handing out power bars when people were boarding.
There was no drink service.

Zurich airport was definitely in the holiday mood. After catching a train to Terminal E I've made my way to the lounge.
I don't remember ever going to the lounge in ZRH (always short connections when passing via ZRH), so it was new experience for me.

In the lounge I saw outdoor observation deck. Unfortunately it was closed (they had signs saying that today the deck is closed). Too bad, as I would love to spend there hour or two spotting.
I've made myself a drink Grant with coke, ordered omelette and went to look for a spot. The only available seats were in the Whiskey Club 10/28. Had a drink, ate some food and left the lounge to search for some chocolates
BTW - I never checked, are the drinks free in the whiskey club? If I had more time I would definitely do some tasting.

Went to duty free store and purchased two 0.5kg Toblerone bars for $15 total. That's a damn good price
After the shopping I went to my gate at E42 and did the document verification thing, then queued in the gate area to board the flight.
MattAus likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Great report. Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.