Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Pre-Christmas Week-end Getaway to London

Old Dec 18, 17, 1:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus

Hey folks

This is a short trip report about our last week-end in London.

Fellow FTer KARFA organized a Pre-Christmas Do in London on Friday 15th of December. This was yet another reason to burn some Avios and fly to London for the week-end.
On the way to London we treated ourselves to Club Europe. At the time of booking our preferred flight, BA755 from Basel to London was scheduled to be operated by a midhaul A321 with lie-flat seats. I was very excited about this as I’ve never been on one of those planes before.

We drove to Basel and after a quick security check went to the Skyview Lounge

Boarding started at 1510 and this time gate 32 was used. This is unusual, as all BA flights we’ve taken before out of Basel used gate 30. The priority queue was long, as quite often on this route.

At this point I was really, really excited, as I had checked the inbound flight on FR24 to be sure it was indeed a midhaul configured A321 (G-MEDJ)…

And it was!

Can you see how excited I am?

Legroom really is not an issue here!

We pushed back on time

Seat controls (oh that massage function…)

After departure from runway 15 we did a right turn which gave us a good overview of the airport

As this was an afternoon flight there is a choice of either a Ploughman’s or Afternoon Tea. I opted for the former, which was tasty, but small

The flight went by quickly. I ordered a G&T and nuts and then put the seat into the full flat position…

Soon we were already descending into London where we had to hold for a couple of minutes

Final approach into London’s Heathrow airport

It was then time to say goodbye to 1F

Landing:

As we were staying at the Doubletree Victoria we took the underground to the city. At check-in we were offered complimentary upgrade to one of their Premium Deluxe Rooms on the 10th floor. The room is on two floors; the entrance and bathroom are on one level and the bed is on the lower level. The view was fantastic too.

We then headed to Marlybone where the Do was taking place. It was a nice crowd and it was nice to get to know new fellow FTers and meet FTers that we’ve met before. Thanks KARFA and teledude for organising this!

Same view the next morning:

We headed to Oxford Street for some Christmas shopping. As expected, it was very busy.

We grabbed lunch at Franco Manca.

Yes, soon it’s Christmas

We then headed to the Twinings shop on Strand to buy tea and then went back to the hotel to get our luggage. We decided to stay the second night in Kingston Upon Thames. With this additional stay I’d have enough stays to become a Hilton Honors Gold member. The original plan was to take the train from Victoria to Kingston via Clapham Junction but we then opted for Uber as it was far more convenient. We stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Kingston and got upgraded again. I had picked a room online but as there was a party on the floor below our room the friendly front desk lady offered us an upgrade. I must say I could get used to this.

Lobby area

Superior King Room

We headed down to the bar for a drink first before heading out for dinner

Riverside view at night

Christmas tree

Outside hotel view

We went for a walk the next morning

We did some more shopping. Bentall Centre is reminiscent of Toronto’s Eaton Centre

This is the “out of order” sculpture by David Mach

We had lunch at Henry’s

It was then time to head back to Heathrow. There is a direct bus line to Heathrow Central, X26, which takes about half an hour. We used the First Wing as always and it was a breeze.

Fellow FTer jason8612 was kind enough to guest us into the CCR for dinner, so thanks again!

We were booked in Euro Traveler on the way back to Basel and thanks to Theoretical Seating the seat next to us (4D) remained free. The flight was uneventful. A nice week-end came to an end.

Thanks for reading!
graffiti, nequine, steveuk and 1 others like this.

Last edited by florens; Dec 18, 17 at 2:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 17, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Hyatt Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Nice trip report!
florens likes this.
Old Dec 18, 17, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Indeed, thanks for sharing. Indulging a lie-flat journey all the way from BSL to LHR must have been a timely way to relax for the trying exercises of the London DO that were to follow
florens likes this.
Old Dec 18, 17, 2:15 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice the A 321!
florens likes this.
Old Dec 18, 17, 3:20 pm

Programs: Free Agent
noise from being so close to the train station?
Old Dec 18, 17, 3:36 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by canolakid View Post
noise from being so close to the train station?
It was okay really, especially since we were on the 10th floor. The rooms and windows are not soundproof, but it wasn‘t that bad at all. I had solid sleep.
Old Dec 18, 17, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Nice report, thank you. That Doubletree looked very nice how was it? I was at the Doubletree in Santiago last month and upgraded to the suite. It was nicer than any Hilton I've been in anywhere.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 19, 17, 12:59 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
Nice trip report!
Thanks jason8612, it was good to meet you! Safe travels!

Originally Posted by onobond View Post
Indeed, thanks for sharing. Indulging a lie-flat journey all the way from BSL to LHR must have been a timely way to relax for the trying exercises of the London DO that were to follow
I was so worried that the plane would be swapped, so I kept checkin the seat map ...

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Nice the A 321!
Yep, it was a very pleasant flight!

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Nice report, thank you. That Doubletree looked very nice how was it? I was at the Doubletree in Santiago last month and upgraded to the suite. It was nicer than any Hilton I've been in anywhere.
Thanks enviroian. Which DoubleTree?

The one in Victoria was very nice, especially the top floor rooms. I am not sure about the regular rooms. I think they might be older/non-renovated. The breakfast was very delicious, but the breakfast room was a bit small. The front desk lady was very kind and helpful. The luggage storage room is too small and thus crowded, so they store some larger suitcases outside the room.

The one in Kingston was very enjoyable and the staff excellent. The rooms are not soundproof, but there wasn't much noise. There are train tracks on one side though, with a train passing every now and then, but the noise didn't bother us too much. The decor is very nice and detail-oriented. The breakfast was good, but not the best we had.
Old Dec 19, 17, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Great report and pictures! Thank you for sharing.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 22, 17, 1:57 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Great report and pictures! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Andriyko!
Old Dec 22, 17, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Where is Kingston? (I know I could look it up on map but where's the community in that?)
Old Dec 22, 17, 1:03 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
Where is Kingston? (I know I could look it up on map but where's the community in that?)
LMGTFY
Old Dec 22, 17, 1:16 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Nice report Florens, with a good selection of beer.

Nothing better than Christmas time in a big city.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 22, 17, 2:41 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DaveNCL View Post
Nice report Florens, with a good selection of beer.

Nothing better than Christmas time in a big city.
I'm glad you liked it DaveNCL. Merry christmas to you! Hope to meet again soon.
Old Dec 22, 17, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
What a great trip report and love the photos. Thanks for sharing!!
florens likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: