Back to Bangalore (QR, G8, EY, DL)

IAD-DOH QR 777-300ER Business
DOH-BLR QR 777-300ER Business
BLR-PNQ G8 A320 Economy
PNQ-BLR G8 A320 Economy
BLR-AUH EY A321 Business
AUH-JFK EY A380 Business
JFK-DCA DL CRJ9 Business

Having spent a majority of my life with an Indian passport, I’ve been back to the motherland quite a few times. These trips have traditionally been on Air India, with a few escapades on BA and LH. The introduction of the ME3 was a game-changer, although going back to India has always been in Y there as well. After not visiting for a little while, I promised myself that the next time I’d be in at least J. And after finagling some dates, I delivered. I used AA miles to book the QR and EY flights, and booked the short DL positioning flight with cash. The roundtrip to Pune was with family who insisted on using their travel agent for everything, despite my reassurances that it was easy to do online. In the end, we massively overpaid but had some domestic flights.

I’m excited for this TR because I’ve seen very little of GoAir (G8) on FlyerTalk so far. For folks not familiar with GoAir, it’s an Indian LCC that frequently gets confused with IndiGo, another significantly larger LCC. There’s also a look at the Bangalore metro. I stayed with family though, so there are no hotels involved. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:22 pm Reason: Finished posting full TR.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
IAD - DOH
QR 708 - Boeing 777-300ER
Business Class

While I usually take the metro to the airport, this was a bit of a special occasion, so I decided to book a car. I don’t use UberX in DC, and Blacklane was not only about $35 cheaper than an Uberblack, I was guaranteed a car rather than hoping one was available. It was also only about $15 more expensive than a taxi, and worth it for me. Though I was able to check in online, I was not able to print boarding passes, so I arrived at Dulles precisely 3 hours before my flight. Check in was relatively painless. There were two lanes available for business class passengers, and I had a short wait until I was called to the front. The couple in the other lane were having quite a shouting match with the agent over an extra bag they had. They had an extra bag and were loudly pulling the DYKWIA card to avoid being charged for it. I was then off to security. Because Qatar Airways doesn’t participate in pre-check, I was restricted to the premium line. Having to remove all sorts of doodads was annoying, but done rather quickly.

Unfortunately, Qatar premium passengers no longer have access to the Virgin Atlantic club at Dulles. Instead, QR sends us over to the TK lounge, which is often stuffed with Priority Pass members. Today, the lounge was serving a special thanksgiving menu, which tasted better than it looked. Unfortunately, the bar was rather poor, the best whiskey on offer was J&B, with not a single malt in sight. There was a good amount of seating in the lounge, though it was also quite busy. There are too few bathrooms available given the number of passengers in the lounge, I gave up waiting and used the facilities in the terminal. Thankfully, boarding began about a half hour early (1h15 before departure), and good thing too, because we managed to leave just on time.

The hard product on most of QR’s 77W fleet (other than A7-BED) is arranged in a 2-2-2 layout, and feels woefully out of date. The seat claims to be a lie flat, but does have a bit of an angle to it. Rather than an ottoman, your feet are stuck on an extended footrest. While it’s quite comfortable for lounging, I did not enjoy sleeping. The seat comes with a pillow, blanket, and a comfortable mattress pad. I was in a center aisle seat (some of the best seats, given the layout), and had the seat next to me empty. The seat was good enough to get a decent nap in, but I could not get a full night of sleep. Although headphones were provided, the audio of my IFE didn’t work, so I didn’t have a chance to test it. I rarely use the IFE (with the exception of the moving map) so this was not a large negative to me.

QR uses a dine on demand service, which works incredibly well. Before takeoff, the FAs collected orders from everyone, reserving the items that we thought we’d have during the flight. You’re by no means obligated to have everything you reserved (I ended up swapping my breakfast entrée), but it’s nice not having to race through the menu to get items of your choice. Someone came through the cabin at regular intervals to take new orders and top off drinks, I never felt like I was waiting. On today’s flight, there was a special thanksgiving menu. This was disappointing, because I was looking forward to trying Qatar’s riff on the Arabic Mezze, as well as their biryani dish. Having spent far more Thanksgivings with some biryani than turkey, I felt a bit let down here. In the end, I opted for the Red Snapper, which was cooked well and came with a nice sauce. The ice cream was delicious. It was mango and vanilla, and every bite was really a treat. As a snack, I had the chicken wrap, but it was forgettable.

I ended up foregoing the steak I had selected for breakfast in favor of the corn pancakes, and I have no regrets. The eggs were clearly powdered, but everything else was delightful. The corn cakes were moist, and the crčme fraiche with roe was refreshing. Although I was hoping for the Billecart-Salmon, the Piper Heidsick Brut was nice. I was not a fan of the Rose.

As an interesting aside, every member of the crew in the J cabin did seem to know the DYKWIA couple as soon as they boarded and greeted them as regulars, so perhaps they did expect the check-in agent to know as well!

Arrival in Doha was easy, as business class is able to deplane quickly and there were no passengers in transit security when we arrived. There is a dedicated security lane for premium passengers, and I was through quickly. I proceeded directly to the Al Mourjan lounge, where my boarding pass was checked at the bottom of the escalator.

The lounge itself is huge, but didn’t feel crowded to me. There was a bit of a wait for the showers, but newspapers were available to occupy my time until one opened up. There are two different dining facilities available, a buffet upstairs and a deli downstairs. The deli did not open until 5pm or so. I found the food to be better in the Deli, and both dining facilities were serving the Lanson. After talking to some sort of supervisor I was told that the Billecart would be making a return in December, but I have no way of verifying this.

After two and a half hours, I made my way back to the gate where the next flight would be on another 77W, this one coming from Atlanta.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

DOH - BLR
QR572 – Boeing 777-300ER
Business Class

This second leg was a quick 4 hours, and sped by. The seat was the same as before, but there were no pajamas provided, and the amenity kit was toned down. Only socks, a sleep mask and lip balm were provided. The Arabic mezze and biryani were available on this flight, and I was able to try both. I liked the mezze, though it was nothing special. I was not a fan of the biryani.

Prior to landing, boxes of chocolate were distributed. Mostly though, I just wanted to be off the plane at that point. Arrivals in BLR are straightforward. Non-citizens have to fill out a landing card, and everyone proceeds through an immigration check. I spent a bit of time convincing the agent that I was staying with my aunt and uncle, I’m not sure why they were so skeptical. After immigration there is a cursory security inspection, and then baggage claim. If you have nothing to declare, the exit is just outside, and you can be on your way to the city. Traffic isn’t bad around 3am, one of the few times you can say that about Bangalore.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

BLR - PNQ
G8 283 - Airbus A320
Economy Class

The next morning I was back at the airport for my GoAir adventure, which was a pleasant surprise. Check in opened two hours before departure, though we were able to check in online and print our boarding passes at the automated kiosks beforehand. Having finally gotten the PNRs from the travel agent, I was able to select seats via the mobile app and pay with my US credit card, along with checking in online. The various options (seat selection, meal prebooking, luggage prepayment) were not available with the web interface.

At T-2, it was a quick wait to check our bags and then we were off to domestic security. Security in Bangalore moves fairly quickly, but does require removing laptops, mobile phones, e-readers, power banks (they’re really big on the power banks), etc.

After passing security, a right turn leads to the Above Ground and Plaza Premium lounges, which have separate entrances, but share a raised platform. I was able to try both, and my verdict is that the Above Ground had better food, while the Plaza Premium had a better beverage selection. For a ~6am departure, I was largely just looking for coffee, and the Plaza Premium lounge’s coffee day branded machine brewed the better cup. The bathrooms in both were clean and usable.

Once boarding began, it became clear that this was a bus gate. The buses moved fairly efficiently, and we were able to take off around the scheduled departure time. The legroom was larger than I was expecting, and the cabin was in good repair. The remote stand was a pain though, and in any event, I wouldn't want to spend more than two hours on this plane.

Although I had not pre-ordered any food, I attempted to order a Peri-Peri sub and coke zero onboard. GoAir has a somewhat extensive menu for purchase, but I was told that they were out of coke zero and I was given a chicken ham sub instead of the peri-peri sub without even being told. After a few bites, I figured it out. The bread is very poofy, with little filling. The menu was extensive, and I’ve provided photos below.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

PNQ - BLR
G8 284 - Airbus A320
Economy Class

For the return, I was able to select seats but not pay online. Although the flight was delayed, check-in opened roughly 2 and a half hours before the originally scheduled departure time. I was able to pay cash at the airport and we received our boarding passes. Because PNQ doubles as a military facility, photography is prohibited. We quickly passed through security only to realize that PNQ actually splits into two concourses, and the Port Lounge (a Priority Pass member) was located in the other one. A decent amount of seating was available, and we were eventually able to board (on a real jetway). The flight itself was packed but uneventful. The second aircraft was not as well maintained, and the seat next to me had its tray table taped up. On this leg, I was able to purchase a Peri-Peri sub, and it was nice. Domestic arrivals in BLR are easy, minutes after stepping off the plane we were through the airport and in a cab on the way home.

Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

This was my first time back in Bangalore since the metro opened, and I couldn’t help but try it out. After meeting some friends for drinks in Indiranagar, we proceeded to the metro station. Upon entering, you have to pass through security, but it’s easy and nothing has to be removed. Our tokens to MG Road cost Rs. 15 (~$0.23) each. You tap them on the turnstile as you enter, and deposit them as you leave. The train itself, while packed, was clean and had excellent signage.

The view of the Vidhana Soudha from the advocate's lounge at the Karnataka High Court is stunning.

No trip to Bangalore is complete without a visit to Taco Bell. It’s amazing to see how well it’s caught on since the first Indian location opened in the forum mall over a decade ago. It’s definitely pricey compared to the local fare, but was quite tasty.

Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

BLR-AUH
EY217 – Airbus A321
Business Class

I apologize for the lack of photos for this leg. I was feeling unwell so I wasn’t able to capture much. Check-in opened precisely 3 hours before takeoff, and there is a single business class lane available. I was behind a loud group, all of whom except one were flying J. I’m not sure exactly what the situation was, but the straggler was allowed to board and deplane with business class, so it may have been an oversell situation. The business cabin was full for the flight.

After checking in, I proceeded upstairs to the immigration checkpoint, which was followed by security similar to the domestic checkpoint. There is no premium line for either immigration or security. Etihad uses the Plaza Premium lounge at Bangalore, although both the Plaza Premium and Above Ground lounges are available to priority pass members. I was feeling exhausted, so I only tried the one lounge. It was packed when I entered, but as the early morning bank of flights began to depart (in particular, after the KA flight) some seats opened up and I napped in a chair. Eventually, I boarded our A321.

Etihad’s A321 business class is laid out in four rows of 2-2. The seats themselves are highly reminiscent of VX’s first class offering. We were greeted with cold towels and a choice of water or lemon-lime beverage. I went for the latter, and it was nice, although too sweet for my tastes. A pillow and fleece-lined blanket were provided. The seat had a nice amount of legroom, but nowhere to store a backpack, so I was forced to stow it in the overhead. After takeoff, I reclined my seat and woke up as we prepared for descent.

Arrival in AUH was at a bus gate, and business class (and the straggler) were invited to deplane first. I’m not sure if our dedicated bus was different than the one used for Y passengers, but the seats were comfortable, and the bus was air conditioned. Upon arriving at the terminal, we passed through transit security.

I made my way to the business class lounge, which was conveniently located adjacent to the Pre-clearance area used for flights to the United States. For flights to the US, customs and immigration is completed in Abu Dhabi, and the plane lands as a domestic flight in the US. Although this sounded great in theory, it was actually more of a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

AUH-JFK
EY101 – Airbus A380
Business Class

The business class lounge is spacious, with two separate hot buffets and another for cold selections (at least during breakfast). I made my way to the spa area (where the shower is located) and put my name on the list. A beeper was given to me, though the list seemed to be prioritized in some way, rather than first-come, first-serve. After about an hour, my beeper buzzed and I got a shower. The bathroom was well stocked, and the shower was refreshing.

About an hour and 15 minutes before my flight, I left the lounge and went to pre-clearance. After passing through a boarding pass check (for which there’s a premium line), we went through security. This is where I did not like preclearance. Every passenger has to pass through this security, and shoes and belts come off with laptops removed and powered on. It’s a thorough search. Afterwards, I made my way to immigration, where global entry was a big help. For first and business class passengers, there is a basic but clean lounge located after pre-clearance. I got a coffee some nice finger sandwiches before it was time to board. Around this time, I started feeling better and remembered to take photos.

After entering the jetbridge, there’s a separate turn for business and first class passengers, which leads to the upper deck. This was my first time in Etihad’s A380, and wow is this a beautiful cabin. The hard product was stunning from start to finish. I was sitting in a window seat, and I had far more storage than I knew what to do with. The seat itself had a reasonably sized footwell, and reclined to a fully flat position. A pillow, fleece-lined blanket and thin mattress pad was provided. I thought the mattress pad was wimpy. Although there was an amenity bag, no pajamas were provided. Another passenger asked the crew about it, and she mentioned that they were temporarily gone and new ones were coming Knowing that EY discontinued pajamas in business class, I thought she was just lying to the passenger. Now though, it looks like new pajamas are coming, but for a price.

At the front of the business class cabin, there’s a lounge with a television, 6 seats (and seatbelts) and a table. While I was working there, nobody else used the space. There are some wines displayed, but it’s not a self-serve area. The bathrooms were also nice.

While the hard product was phenomenal, the service was rather poor. Like Qatar, Etihad claims to offer a dine on demand service, but it does not work well. orders were taken before takeoff, and I ordered a steak sandwich, with my full meal to be served later in the flight. Shortly after takeoff, drinks are served with nuts. Once the meal service started, I got the appetizer from my dinner, along with the snack I had ordered. The Arabic mezze was unmemorable, but the steak sandwich was quite tasty. Later on in the flight I had my dinner (minus the appetizer). The steak was overcooked to the point of being a struggle. The ice cream dessert was nice.

The seat, while looking nice, was also comfortable. I was able to get some good sleep, and felt like I was truly flat. The bed and relaxing positions were both great for reading. The service however, made me feel like I was constantly waiting. Plates took forever to get cleared, and refills required the call button. While staff moved through the aisle they always had a task in mind, and never checked to see how passengers were doing.

We arrived on time, and after collecting my bags as if I was arriving on a domestic flight, I took the escalator back up to departures for my final flight of the day.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

JFK-DCA
DL4170 – Bombardier CRJ-900
Domestic First (Business) Class

Delta’s check-in at T4 had a short line, and I was done quickly. Although I had pre-check on this leg, security still took quite a while. Every few minutes, staff would come through and escort someone to the front of the line, so we kept waiting. The non-precheck line looked even worse.

After security, I grabbed some sushi and made my way to the SkyClub. I forgot that they didn’t allow outside food, so I went back to a gate, ate quickly, and came back up. Like Etihad, Delta uses beepers to manage their shower queue line. The lounge itself was large and busy, but it was easy to find seating. There were roving staff to clear plates and offer refills, which was a nice touch. Although the Skydeck was closed, the lounge offered a phenomenal number of power sockets, and the wifi was reasonably fast.

The shower rooms were large, and as I had not finished my drink, the shower attendant encouraged me to take it into the shower with me. I think that’s the first time since college I’ve been encouraged to have a shower beer, but it was fun. Unfortunately, the mechanism attaching the shower head to the pole was broken in my room, but the water pressure was good, and the amenities were nice. Around boarding time, I made my way to the gate.

Boarding was easy, but as overhead space could be tight on a CR9 and I was in the bulkhead, I wanted to ensure that I got a spot for my backpack. Thankfully, bin space was not a problem. Our FA was wonderful, and served a full round of PDBs on the ground, and another drink service in the air. I declined the snack basket. A wimpy pillow and blanket were provided, but I did not use them. I liked Delta’s seat, in particular the cup holder that was part of the left-hand armrest. The flight was quick, and it felt like the fasten seatbelt sign had just gone off when it was on again for our descent into DCA. Sometimes I forget how much padding these flights have, but I won’t ever complain about arriving 39 minutes early. My bags came out quickly, and I was soon on my way home.

Overall, it was a nice trip. Thanks for reading!
OldFruity and nequine like this.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Enjoyed reading, thanks, last time I was in Bangalore was in 1983 doing my masters, did not even know they now have a train system , amazing to see how the airport has changed, when I was there is was more like a bus depot
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
Enjoyed reading, thanks, last time I was in Bangalore was in 1983 doing my masters, did not even know they now have a train system , amazing to see how the airport has changed, when I was there is was more like a bus depot
Hey fotographer, I'm glad you liked it. This is actually a new airport, and it's pretty nice. The previous airport (HAL) was a lot closer to the city center, which I still prefer, but is exclusively used for non-commerical aviation now. The new metro is spiffy, this was my first time using it, and makes getting to work possible for so many people. Traffic is a different situation than even 10 years ago, and doesn't even resemble BLR back when you were there. It's absurd these days, but thankfully the metro helps somewhat.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Hey fotographer, I'm glad you liked it. This is actually a new airport, and it's pretty nice. The previous airport (HAL) was a lot closer to the city center, which I still prefer, but is exclusively used for non-commerical aviation now. The new metro is spiffy, this was my first time using it, and makes getting to work possible for so many people. Traffic is a different situation than even 10 years ago, and doesn't even resemble BLR back when you were there. It's absurd these days, but thankfully the metro helps somewhat.
The one thing I do miss is Kamarts, (could have spelt it wrong, the dossa and vada are to die for, I am sure MG road has changed alot too, by the way I spent 3 years or so in Whitefield, heard that has changed alot.
All my work trips are now to Mumbai, so dont get a chance to go back down , plus my Kannada (hope I spelt that right) is now all but forgotton)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Enjoyed your TR. I have no previous experience of BLR and surroundings, but together with two friends planning a 5-6 weeks Indian adventure sometimes within a year or two. Will have use of information from your TR, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.