Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

2 studs do Hawaii (via AMS, DUB, JFK, LAX and CDG for good measure on the way back!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 studs do Hawaii (via AMS, DUB, JFK, LAX and CDG for good measure on the way back!)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Two studs, haven’t even seen one yet?
File under 'Optimism"
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Nah not interested, however BBB has his needs.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Two studs, haven’t even seen one yet?
How very DARE YOU! . And you'll just be seeing the one..... wouldn't want to break FT!
Can I help you likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Talking

Have you heard of the trades discrimination act?
stu1985 likes this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Jan 2, 2018 at 5:56 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Another day, another American breakfast. We decided to drive to Wa'ahila Ridge where there was seemingly a great waterfall. Nice little walk to see a waterfall (or so I thought). Turned out that this was actually a hike off the beaten track where it started POURING with rain as we were there. It was certainly an experience.... The scenery was beautiful though and I imagine that on a nice day, this would be an excellent trip!

There was another part of the hike where you could get up to the top of the ridge. We started to do that but the track was SO muddy and slippy. Parts were so bad that you had to jump up onto the side of the track and grab on to tree branches and pull yourself across massive puddles. We bumped into a guy and asked him how much further it was to go. When he said "Around 40 minutes" we decided to hot foot it back to where we came from and walk back down to where we had left the car. Again, if this was a nice day, I would have loved to have walked up to the top of the ridge. I imagine that the views would be amazing.

Bye bye Toms......!

We drove back to the hotel and just chilled for the rest of the day by the pool. Eventually the sun did make an appearance which meant that I could top up the tan a bit on my white Scottish skin!

And another sunset....

We had a drink at the hotel bar (another good singer this evening) and then headed out for dinner.

I liked this thing where you can lock your bike!

Back to Dukes tonight for dinner where it was absolutely mobbed again. We waited maybe 25 mins for a table while sitting having a drink watching the world pass by on the beach.

Another amazing meal here - sticky ribs and a steak - excellent! I love sitting outside enjoying dinner while you're on holiday. The temperature was such that I didn't need a jumper or jacket - a shirt was just fine.

T8191, standch and nequine like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Duplicate
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Last day today! *crying face emoji*

It was a beautiful day outside. The sun felt warm and there were hardly any clouds in the sky.

The hotel decorations were out in full force!

Given that it was so nice out, we decided to have a beach day today. This Scot was not going home without a bit of colour on his skin! We spent a few hours on Waikiki beach in the morning. I sat in the sun and swam in the sea while C pottered around.

The hotel were good enough to give us a late check out until 1pm so at about 11.30am we headed to Tiki's for an early lunch. We got a table outside and sat in the HOT sun (the temperature was now 30 Celsius - just perfect) and watched everyone mill around on the beach. The food here was great. I had a pulled pork burger washed down with a few IPAs.

After that, we headed back to the hotel. I was all packed but C wasn't so I left him to go do his packing while I had my last IPA on the balcony and savoured the lovely views. The hotel kindly gave us a 1pm check out and told us that when we came back they would find us a spare room in which we could shower and get changed. I was really impressed with this. It's not many hotels that would give you a clean, spare room to shower in and get changed (meaning that housekeeping have to go clean it again) so I was very grateful that she said she would do this for us.

We hopped into the car and drove right to the most north westerly point of the island - Kaena Point. The scenery was beautiful on the way up. We enjoyed the sun and paddled in the sea for a few hours. The power of the waves was something that I had never, ever experienced before. There were points where I was actually knocked down by the waves and dragged along the sand. It was great fun though. I could have spent hours and hours here but we only have a few hours to spare before we would have to head back to Waikiki. I should probably apologise for the number of beach pics that I'm away to post.....

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and it was soon time to head back to the hotel. We got caught in the rush hour traffic so it probably took us an hour and a half to get back to Waikiki. We got to the reception desk and the lady managed to find us a room each to get showered in which was great. You get the room for 30 mins which is more than enough time for a quick shower, get changed and get yourself sorted.

Rainbow as I left the room....

I had made us a reservation at The Pig and the Lady in downtown Honolulu. I had happened to come across it last time I was in Honolulu a few years back and went in and had the most amazing lunch ever and I really wanted to go back for dinner. I am glad we did as the food was absolutely beautiful. I'm also glad I booked as the place was out the door when we arrived. We were shown to our table and our great waiter took care of us all evening. He seemed to really enjoy his job - took time explaining dishes on the menu, explaining what cocktails he liked and he was just generally a really nice guy. I took twice fried chicken wings to start with while C had a octopus sausage (sounds weird but tasted beautiful). For main, I went with the duck pho - YUM!

Only good vibes people!

We finished up, paid and headed back to the car (which thankfully hadn't been towed even although we parked on the street 5 mins before we were supposed to). We drove in search of a petrol station (or should I say gas station) which we eventually found. Once we filled up, we headed back to the airport and after all the formalities were done with in respect of the hire car, we headed up to the departures level where the AA desks were dead so there was no wait to check in.
tjcnkc and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stu1985
This Scot was not going home without a bit of colour on his skin!
With you on that one! I was like that in November in Spain, soaking up as much sun as I could to see me though the winter!

Great pics again and not sure if you watch it or not, but Hawaii Five-O returns to Sky 1 on Sunday night (9pm) so you can get weekly dose of Hawaii spectacular scenery.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:53 pm
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
As another Scot needing to top up the Vitamin D I'm enjoying this report, thanks.
A return trip to Maui and Kauai is now in the planing stages for the summer.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by K&C
As another Scot needing to top up the Vitamin D I'm enjoying this report, thanks.
A return trip to Maui and Kauai is now in the planing stages for the summer.
Ah excellent! Glad maybe a little bit of my TR has made you start planning your trip! If you want any tips, just give me a shout!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Security was a bit of a zoo at HNL with all the late night flights heading out. C ran away through pre-check and left me with the masses (although in his defence, he did buy me a lovely bottle of water for the flight!). I made my way up to the lounge after security (which was actually relatively painless apart from the usual cries of "ALL LAPTOPS AND IPADS MUST COME OUT OF YOUR BAGS AS WELL AS LIQUIDS".......yes lady, we know!).

The lounge itself was pretty basic food wise but there was a lot of seating available. I grabbed a few whiskies (medicinal purposes.....help me sleep) and charged my phone.

AA298, HNL - LAX, N127AA, A321

We were at the gate before they called for boarding. We wanted to make sure that our carry on could get stored. I'm still amazed that I managed to go all the way to Hawaii with just a carry on bag. Ridiculous! Our chariot was sitting waiting for us at the gate.

We were first on (after one military guy) and I settled into 1A while C took 1F. The pillow and blanket (which I LOVE) were both waiting on the seat. The guy looking after us in F this evening offered pre-departure drinks - Mimosa please!

Boarding took a while but once everyone was on the captain came on and told us that the flight time would be around 5 hours and 10 minutes to LAX. After we took off I was feeling a bit peckish.....dinner had been around 5 hours ago so I decided to take the small plate that was offered (to satisfy the hunger but also for all you lot reading!). It was a tasty little ham and cheese plate with crackers and nuts.

I don't normally chat to my seat mate on flights but the guy sitting next to me introduced himself and we started chatting. He was the loveliest guy ever. He had just retired a week prior from the LAPD where he was a pretty senior officer and decided to join his wife who was in Hawaii on business. He told me stories of his time in the police and was so engaging! Once my tray was cleared, I said good night to my new friend, reclined my seat and slept solidly until we were just outside of LA. Whisky works miracles, folks!

We barely had any time in LAX to headed straight to the gate for our next flight.

AA118, LAX - JFK, N102NN, A321 Transcon

We took our seats in Row 8. Drinks were offered.

And that's about it for this flight. I put the seat into bed mode and conked out and had a great sleep!

Although I did get a very tasty lemon tart!

I'm trying to remember if I grabbed a shower in the lounge at JFK before the next flight - I think that I did but I didn't take any pics. Anyway, the most important thing was to follow shortly......

The sun was starting to set on JFK. As I write this, I'm getting more and more excited about my trip to JFK in just under two weeks!

AA64, JFK - CDG, N393AN, B767-300

No real rush for boarding this time as we knew that there would be ample storage space on this refurbished 767. Menus were handed out on the ground and pre departure fizz was offered around.

The "Hickory Smoked Rainbow Carrots" were actually pretty tasty - a nice crunch about them. The salad was also great.

I had pre-ordered the surf and turf but the steak was a but of a let down which was unfortunate. Although to be fair to AA, there was more pink in that steak than there would be if you were served it on BA! Oh, and the piri piri sauce was BRILLIANT!

After a wee dram, I went to bed and, again, slept well. I was woken up with the sound of cutlery on the china and was offered some breakfast.

So overall, I was actually pretty impressed with AA. I'd only flown them on internal flights in the US before but I was surprised by the quality of the food (save for the overcooked steak but you have to forgive that when it's reheated). The crew were nice enough although didn't go out of their way to be overly friendly.

Now for my nightmare. We landed in CDG. The lady at HNL couldn't print out my CDG - LHR boarding pass for some reason and the BA app wouldn't let me check in. So I was boarding pass-less....... and we turned a corner and ended up at security..... where you had to show your boarding pass. Damn. I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen. "Carte d'embarquement Monsieur....". I explained in my pigeon French that I didn't have one as the app was broken. "Oh but you need one to get through here". "I appreciate that but I'm not quite sure what I can do other than show you that I am booked on this flight at 10.20....". After some discussion, I was let through and then I headed to the lounge. They couldn't help me and told me to go to the BA gate to get my boarding pass. So off I trundled to the gate where I came across the rudest woman ever. She just wouldn't help me. They'd closed the flight which was leaving but she was seemingly too busy to print me a boarding pass (read "too busy" as flicking the screen on her iPhone) and told me that I had to wait until the flight left. So I stood right at the desk and gave her a stare when I saw that she was on Facebook. Great French customer service skills for you there!

Boarding pass in hand, I headed up to the CX lounge where I took a much needed shower. I then went through to the AA lounge (CX don't start noodles until 10am!) where I was the only one there. Great selection of food there though.

And some great views from the window!

I went through to the CX lounge - I like those wee booths beside the windows - and chilled for a while. I went back to the AA lounge to meet C once he had finished showering but then went back to CX in time for noodle hour (C had left to go stand in the boarding queue by this time.....). Noodles were just as great as I remembered them!

BA307, CDG - LHR, G-EUPS, A319

A fine enough plate for a one hour flight.....

And some nice scenery on the way across the channel.

Ugh. Bus gate.

We headed to the CCR where we met up with a fellow FT'er and had some lunch together. The food was average - I had had better in there. Maybe it's because it was the 1st of the month and they were still perfecting the dishes.

And before long, it was time to board yet ANOTHER flight........
standch and nequine like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I thought that AA TATL steak looked quite reasonable! But then I’m an AA fan-boy these days ... we just have to wait until June for our next DUB-PHL-PHX treat
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
I thought that AA TATL steak looked quite reasonable! But then I’m an AA fan-boy these days ... we just have to wait until June for our next DUB-PHL-PHX treat
I mean it was OK. But if it's not red in the middle then it's not for me!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
A thanks again stu1985 a great read
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
A thanks again stu1985 a great read
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.