Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

2 studs do Hawaii (via AMS, DUB, JFK, LAX and CDG for good measure on the way back!)

2 studs do Hawaii (via AMS, DUB, JFK, LAX and CDG for good measure on the way back!)

Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Not sure who or what had been warming your nuts but they are not served warm in CW.
Maybe it was the warm fuzzy feeling I had from the Kir Royale
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

We hopped on the Airtrain and changed terminals and made our way to the FlAAgship lounge. First port of call - shower. It was great being able to freshen up before the next 6 hour flight. After showering, I managed to find a seat at the back of the lounge with some good views of the tarmac.

C ate more food (where he puts it, I do not know) while I just stuck to the Bolly (darling). We weren't too far from the gate so wandered over and got there just as boarding was starting.

AA117, JFK - LAX, N108NN, A321

Walking through F on the way to J.... I love the fact that an A321 has F, J and Y seats. I had only ever gone in F on the JFK - LAX routes so was looking forward to trying out the J offering.

2 x 2 configuration in J.... we opted for row 8 - right over the wing.

Great leg room!

And menu presentation with the ever so classy crosses out to show what they didn't bother loading..... no desserts at all?! And no cookies? Are you kidding me!?

We took off and got some great views of New York as we climbed out ready to start the long trek across the U. S of A. I've never actually been to New York. I mean, I have flown in and out of there but never stayed in the city. Thankfully that will all change next month when C and I are heading to the Big Apple for 4 nights. I had a 2-4-1 voucher to use so I burnt a load of Avios for us to fly F - can't wait!

Last edited by stu1985; Dec 15, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
The cheesecake looked fine on your tray but there is something magical about having ice-cream on a plane, especially if served in a proper bowl with a spoon!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
The cheesecake looked fine on your tray but there is something magical about having ice-cream on a plane, especially if served in a proper bowl with a spoon!
I do love an AAmerican sundae! Can't say I was that impressed with the crossing out of the menu haha!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Seems a right cheapskate way although I suppose it got the disappointment over with early doors!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Excellent as always, I do love your writing style!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Aww Stu, Another amazing trip report. I loved your Instagram pics at the time, so I'm really enjoying reading the entire adventure now. seems like you lads had a fantastic trip out. The only thing we will have to agree to disagree on Scotty is that its Jam on a scone first, not cream!!! lol, really looking forward to reading more so get writing! Hey your really going to enjoy Diamond status with Hilton, so be sure to get those 8 stays complete so you can enjoy till 2019. I've been Diamond for 6 years now and have been so well looked after in some of their finest propertys with some amazing upgrades and lounge access so make the most of it. ( Ive found the benefits much more generous at Asian and European property's than US property's )
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Very studly report, sir! Great pictures and some really nice looking hotel rooms. Have fun in Hawaii!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Seems a right cheapskate way although I suppose it got the disappointment over with early doors!
Hmm yes, that's true I suppose!

Originally Posted by stevieed
Excellent as always, I do love your writing style!
Thanks very much stevieed

Originally Posted by Flyingboy200
Aww Stu, Another amazing trip report. I loved your Instagram pics at the time, so I'm really enjoying reading the entire adventure now. seems like you lads had a fantastic trip out. The only thing we will have to agree to disagree on Scotty is that its Jam on a scone first, not cream!!! lol, really looking forward to reading more so get writing! Hey your really going to enjoy Diamond status with Hilton, so be sure to get those 8 stays complete so you can enjoy till 2019. I've been Diamond for 6 years now and have been so well looked after in some of their finest propertys with some amazing upgrades and lounge access so make the most of it. ( Ive found the benefits much more generous at Asian and European property's than US property's )
Thanks Flyingboy200 - never jam first on the scone!!!!

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Very studly report, sir! Great pictures and some really nice looking hotel rooms. Have fun in Hawaii!
Well this is high praise indeed from my favourite TR writer on this forum. Thanks so much Seat2A!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I thought I had posted the pics of the flight from JFK to LAX but appears I didn't!

Shortly after take off, we got hot towels from the cabin crew serving J.

And a drinks round to start off with.

And then the meal. I had pre-ordered the steak a few weeks before we flew. The salmon starter was OK. The beef was surprisingly much better than I was anticipating. I forgot to take a pic of it when I cut into it but it was probably done medium which is OK for me.... I prefer it rare but I know that you'll never get that on a plane. Anyway, it was a hundred times better than any steak I have had on BA (who have a special talent in cremating each piece of meat they cook!)

A quick look outside to check that the wing was still on.

And then I put the seat into bed mode and promptly dozed off for a good few hours. I was glad of the sleep - it had been a long day up until that point and we were going to go out for dinner when we got into LA. The bed was amazingly comfy - I slept like a baby!

The sun was setting when I woke up. I went to the bathroom and the member of cabin crew asked if he could get me a drink. Who am I to say no?

We got into LA on time and headed outside to jump on the hotel shuttle bus. Within 10 mins we were at the Crowne Plaza. Check in was painless. They had upgraded me to an "executive" room. All very nice but all I was gonna be doing in it tonight was sleeping!

After we got settled in, I got us an Uber and we went down to Santa Monica for dinner. I had never been in LA before so it was nice to just have a wander around before we settled on a nice bar for dinner. After dinner, we got an Uber back to the hotel where I passed out on bed and had a great sleep.

We checked out in the morning and got the shuttle bus back to the airport where we checked in for the HNL flight. C sped off through TSA pre-check while I had to wait around with the mere mortals who don't have that. Once I got through security, we went to the QF Lounge where we met up with another FTer who I have been chatting to for a while. It's a great community here on Flyertalk and I really do enjoy meeting people from the forum on my travels. We all had breakfast together and I was persuaded to have a Moscow Mule at 7.30am...... I was definitely being led astray!

Stunning plane!

I love the service in the QF lounge - the staff all seem to enjoy their job and are just politeness personified. Nothing is too much trouble and the table service is just great.

I grabbed an omelette and some poached eggs.

We all said goodbye and I headed off to the gate with C. We were about the last ones to board (which bugged C) even although the flight had just flashed to boarding as we were leaving the lounge!

AA31, LAX - HNL, N129AA, A321

Some great views of the coast as we took off for the 6 hour flight across the Pacific to Hawaii.

I say this every time that I fly AA - I don't get why none of the crew look similar. They all wear something completely different. It's almost as if a random group of folk have just turned up at the airport and they've been thrown on the plane to serve the passengers. I mean, don't get me wrong. The two guys serving First Class were really nice and one of the ladies down the back who would sometimes come up front was lovely. I would just have thought that AA would want some consistency in its brand.

Mimosa to start please!

I couldn't pre-order for this flight and there were no menus. The guy who I think was in charge came to me and said "We have crab cakes.... I think you should have those" - LOL. OK, thanks!

Breakfast was over and done with pretty quickly and I grabbed a nap afterwards. I love the AA blankets - so comfy!

Can anyone see a theme developing here.......?

It was a bit bumpy as we descended through the clouds on the approach to Hawaii but when we did, there were some nice views to be had.

Thanks for the ride!

We had hired a car for the 4 days we were there so headed across to the car park to pick it up and before long, we were on the road on the way into Waikiki. There were a few clouds but the temperature was nice!

We arrived at the Hilton hotel in Waikiki. C wanted to book it as he is a Diamond member so it was good that I managed to get the status match. My room wasn't quite ready so I left my bag with the concierge and we headed out for a wander and to grab a bite to eat.

Ahhhhh to be back on a beach! *love heart face emoji*

We wandered back to the hotel and I got a key to my room. There was an issue with my room which meant that I wasn't prepared to stay in it. I went down to reception and let them know and they moved me to a different room. When I got to the new room, it was absolutely fine. The lady who I had dealt with phoned me within minutes to apologise and say that I would get $50 credit at the bar. An excellent example of service recovery and it left me very impressed even although I had to complain at the start.

A nice room - big comfy bed. Immaculately clean and a nice ocean view from the balcony. Perfectly acceptable for 4 nights!

I'm sure we went for dinner somewhere that night but I can't remember why and didn't take any pics. Maybe it was the jet lag catching up with me...... Time to sleep!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Loving this Stu
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Loving this Stu
Thanks mikeyfly - will try post some more over the next few days!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Great TR so far, thanks for sharing ^

And that’s a travesty you have never been to NYC proper, glad you are rectifying it!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Great report so far Stu! Always, always enjoy reading your TRs. Thank you for sharing.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice report. ABZ Hampton looks really good, the breakfast always puts the US properties to shame. There's loads of Hiltons in Aberdeen and soon there will be a full Hilton opening that will bring an Exec Lounge to the city.

New CW food looks great. Love the starters, especially soup (shame it was cold), and the glassware. I think the salmon looks lovely but then I love wilted spinach! Real improvement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.