Wiki Posts
Search

J2 (Buta Airways) GYD-TBS and A9 (Georgian Airways) TBS-EVN-TBS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
J2 (Buta Airways) GYD-TBS and A9 (Georgian Airways) TBS-EVN-TBS

This is another one of my trip reports to document some lesser known airlines in the Caucasus region. The report contains 2 airlines on 3 routes: GYD-TBS-EVN-TBS (Baku, Azerbaijan to Tbilisi, Georgia to Yerevan, Armenia and back). Hope this helps those traveling around the region.

J2 (Buta Airways) is wholly-owned subsidiary of Azerbaijan Airlines, it's their LCC.
A9 (Georgian Airways), formerly Airzena, is the national carrier of Georgia.

J2 9223
GYD-TBS

Dep: 0930
Arr: 1040
Embraer 190
Economy class

Journey starts at Baku airport, where I print out my boarding pass at the shiny Terminal 1.

Then I was told I was in the wrong terminal, and that J2 flights depart from the old Terminal 2, which is a short walk across the parking lot.

The aircraft

Since the airline markets itself as a LCC with charges for everything, I was not expecting any food or water. But turns out the crew came by and gave a chicken or cheese sandwich to everyone and a cup of water.

Flying time was approximately 50min. During approach, the plane had to do a go-around, something about airport closed or runway incursion. Landed 10min later safely at TBS.

Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
A9 725
TBS-EVN

Dep: 16.30
Arr: 17.00
Bombardier CRJ200

After a few days in Tbilisi, I headed off to the airport for a short 30min flight. There are minibuses that go between Tbilisi and Yerevan that takes around 5h each way. I decided to fly instead.

TBS also has a Priority Pass lounge that I decided to check out. It was sufficient but had some oddities.

The lounge was full of artwork everywhere, along with tags. I assume you can purchase some paintings or sculptures in the lounge.

Lounge also had ashtray in the outside section. Meaning, the terminal still allows smoking indoors.

Boarding gates were also strange, it went from 101 to 102 to 201 to 103.

TBS airport, which had PS 737-800, TK A321, and GF A320.

Only service onboard was just water. Otherwise nice views on the way, including Tbilisi city and the mountains.

Arrival at EVN and the plane.

A9 726
EVN-TBS

Dep: 18.00
Arr: 18.30
Bombardier CRJ200

After a couple days in Yerevan, time to head back to TBS. During online check-in, I was shown a seat map of Embraer 190, but once at the airport, turns out they swapped it with the same CRJ200. A9 only has 1 CRJ200 in its fleet.

EVN also has a Priority Pass lounge, which was adequate and sufficient.

Boarding, bus gate, with N4 737-800 and S7 A321.

View of Mount Ararat from the tarmac.

Other planes in TBS, including the Qatar Executive jet.

Overall, the 2 airlines were fine. Not a lot of choices in the region if you want to travel around. Hope you found this trip report useful.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Thanks for posting an interesting TR. I hope to make it to the region one day.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:49 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thank you. Incredibly useful. I am planning on going to Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, and Kazakhstan in May, and was considering a couple of these flights to maximize the time. Glad to see that the airports look pretty good, and the operations don't look to shabby. Certainly helps the confidence as I put the trip together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.