Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Survey of Asian Tigers: Hong Kong & Singapore via LX, QR, CX, SQ & AC in J & F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Survey of Asian Tigers: Hong Kong & Singapore via LX, QR, CX, SQ & AC in J & F

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM

Welcome to another trip report!

The genesis of this journey began last December when Qatar published an outrageously cheap business class fare originating in either Amsterdam and Brussels to either Narita or Haneda in Tokyo. I was able to snag a fare totaling 550 Euro originating in Amsterdam with a return to Haneda perfectly timed during the US Thanksgiving holiday. I chose Haneda because QR was flying the 787 and most recently the A350 to Haneda while Qatar uses the old configuration 777 to Narita which I would fly from Amsterdam to Doha. Some lucky travelers were able to use schedule changes to change outbound to LHR and fly the new Qsuites but the schedule change did not impact my travels.

Based in Florida the next question was how to position to the European continent. I had initially locked in biz class rewards until another outrageous biz class fare popped up on a Saturday morning in August when Air Canada offered a $1,100 round trip biz class fare originating in Newark with destinations in western Europe including Zurich and Frankfurt with a stop in Montreal. I was able to book the outbound on Swiss business to Zurich and the return from Frankfurt on Air Canada business. I then purchased a cheap economy fare on Lufthansa to position to Amsterdam and a cheap Jet Blue economy fare to position from South Florida to Newark.

Since I already visited Japan last year I wanted to use the Qatar fare as a launch point to another destination in Asia. Since I was saving massive amount of miles by not positioning to Europe I decided to splurge on the following:
1. 22.5K Alaska miles from Haneda connecting in Hong Kong and arriving in Singpaore. The flight from Haneda to Hong Kong was on Cathay's regional J product while the Hong Kong to Singapore leg was on a fully flat reverse herringbone 777-300er.
2. 37K Singapore miles for the Suite journey on the A380 from Singapore back to Hong Kong.
3. 40K BA Avios for the first class journey on a Cahtay 777-300er from Hong Kong back to Haneda.

In all, this journey spanned over 34,000 miles in 10 days. It was a marathon to say the least but flying in lie flat seats makes all the difference in the world, not to mention a glass (or 7) of 2006 Dom Perignon.

This report will include photos and include the following parts:

1. Montreal Maple Leaf Lounge & Swiss Business to Zurich on the A330 and a day in Amsterdam.
2. Qatar Business on a 777-300er from Amsterdam to Doha, Al Mourjan Lounge and A350 from Doha to Haneda.
3. Cahtay lounge Haneda, Cathay Regional/International J to Singapore on a 777-300 and 777-300er and a couple of days touring Singapore.
4. The Private Room & Singapore Suites A380 to Hong Kong and a couple of days in Hong Kong.
5. The Pier & Cathay First Class on 777-300er to Haneda and a day in Tokyo.
6. Return Journey to Amsterdam on Qatar Business.
7. Air Canada Business Class from Frankfurt to Montreal on a 777-300er.
zip10001, gpy and deovrat like this.

Last edited by tennislover9; Dec 1, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sounds like a good one - looking forward to it!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

The trip started on a beautiful day in Newark on Air Canada CRJ to Montreal. 1-2 seating in biz I actually don't mind this jet as long as you're in one of the throne seats.

Beautiful views after takeoff including Yankee stadium...

and excellent views of Montreal on descent...

I visited the new International Maple Leaf Lounge and was very impressed. The one thing lacking was a chef in the made to order food section. I'd imagine this section opens past 5 PM but I was here from 1230-430 and it was never used.

The chocolate cookies were phenomenal...

Great shower...

Some cool plane spotting at YUL...

Gate lice Swiss Style...

I think it is outrageous that Swiss charges you to pre-select a business seat except for frequent flyers. Lucikly was assigned one of the individual "throne" seats 12A on this flight. My point of comparison for TATL biz to date has been on KLM and Air France. Swiss soft product easily blew them both out of the water. I thought the food on Swiss was outstanding as was the service.

That being said the hard product feels outdated at this point. I certainly prefer the reverse herringbone configuration as the area for your feet even in the throne seat on swiss feels constrained.

The timing of this flight like seemingly every other TATL sucks. Leave at 5PM 6 hours in the air, 2 hour dinner service, breakfast 1:30 prior to arrival I don't know how anyone actually gets restful sleep on a TATL. I think next time I fly to Europe I want to try a morning departure that arrives at night in Europe when it's time for bed.

I enjoyed the Swiss white wine...

The beef dish was sensational...

Overall a great way to cross the Atlantic, I just wish these flights from the east coast were a little longer or left earlier in the day. Tough to call a 2 hour nap a night of restful sleep. Kudos to anyone who goes TATL for work and is productive the next day.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.

Last edited by tennislover9; Dec 4, 2017 at 7:55 am
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Wow! An impressive itinerary - looking forward to the rest of your TR.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

I stayed at the Hilton Aiport Schipol which was a really nice Hilton that felt like it was completed within the last 5 years. I had a morning to explore Amsterdam before boarding Qatar flight to Doha at 3PM. Amsterdam is a lovely city to explore before 10am on a Saturday. It was blissfully quiet. You actually could take a photo at that IAmsterdam statue and not be swarmed by tourists.

The best part about Schipol airport is the incredible airplane toy store in the mall adjacent to the train station. Picked up a couple of model airplanes including KLM MD-11 and Fokker 70 for 15 Euro a piece...

Real life Fokker 70 cockpit inside the store...

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

This trip included both a golden ticket (Singapore Suites) and a silver ticket (Qatar Business)...

Qatar uses the Aspire lounge in Schipol which was awful and not worth the 15 minute hike from the Qatar gate through a construction zone. The lounge was packed to the gills but it did offer nice views on the international gates...

I actually followed the crew to gate. Felt like a scene in Catch me if you Can. I think Qatar crew are some of the best dressed in the sky.

And our lovely bird taking us the 6 hour 20 minute distance to Doha...

People seem to love or hate the old school biz class seat on the Qatar 777. Put me in the camp who loves it. The cabin feels huge with tons of head room. Being next to a stranger does not bother me and the amount of room for your legs can not be beat. I definitely prefer this seat on a 15 hour jaunt to/from Auckland lets say relative to the A350.

What sets Qatar apart from every other business class I've flown in is the soft product. The level or service and food simply can't be beat. For those that pay multiple thousands of dollars for flights I struggle justifying the variance in cost between business class and first class when business is so well executed on this airline. The closest point of comparison are some high end cruise ships I've been on.

I am also a big fan of the dine on demand concept. You reserve the food you want later. I find that most people still choose to eat right after take off and halfway through the flight when it's time to eat the service is singularly focused on you.

The chicken biryani dish was one of the best/most favorable chicken dishes I've had on the ground or air...

It is hard to fathom the variances in the quality of service on a 6 hour flight that Qatar offers and 6 hour flight from say NYC to SF/LA on Delta, American and United. It's no wonder the big 3 Americanos perceive the gulf carriers as a huge threat. They are being left in the dust of excellent service where corners are not being cut.
AJO and fotographer like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Wow! Now that is an itinerary. Looks like a fun time.

Keep the TR coming!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Surprisingly, transferring in Doha did not involve passing through an immigration counter as is the norm in Europe or Canada. The only headache were the long transfer security lines. Once past that it was straight to Al Mourjan...

Diet Coke has returned...

While I enjoyed my first visit to this lounge the long overnight layover was pretty annoying. I wish Doha/Qatar airways spaced arrivals and departures more apart. The airport and lounge are extremely busy at peak hours and are a complete ghost town in off-peak hours. Getting a shower was a breeze at 430am but try to time that shower at 6am and good luck to you.

The food/buffet at the restaurant was uninspiring and the large drapes covering up arguably the best views of the heavy lineup of awesome airplanes was frustrating.

The lounge generally gave the air of a museum and I actually felt the seating and design were not especially warm or inviting certainly compared to my later experiences with Cathay's amazing and thoughtfully designed lounges.

Next time I pass through this airport would like some time to go explore the Museum of Islamic Art and Souq Waqif in Doha.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Next up was the 9 hour flight from Doha to Haneda. Remote bus gate meant premium only bus and some excellent views of our bird. We passed by a QATAM A350 on our way to our Qatar A350 and I got worried for a hot second.

Few better things than flying lie flat international business. One of those things is doing so in cabin less than 50% full...

Empty 1K...

Nice Pajamas...

Awesome mattress pad...

Another great flight. My only issue with this seat is the location of the tray table. I'm 6'1 and my knees would constantly bang into it throughout the flight especially when turning over in bed mode. I wish they designed the tray table to pop out of the side similar to American's 777-300er.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

After a quick shower in the JAL Sakura lounge (only downside to Cathay's Haneda lounge is a lack of showers), it was over to Cathay's new lounge. This was really a spectacular oasis with full tarmac and city views. The made to order dan dan noodles were some of the best noodles I've ever had anywhere. The chairs and design of this lounge are super comfortable and inviting. Def can not recommend this lounge enough...

Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great TR! Love the pictures and the narrative!

I absolutely love the CX lounge at HND - was just there this past Saturday. Rolled in at 445pm when they closed at 5pm and they could not have been more gracious an accommodating. They happily made me a bowl of dan dan noodles (which is all I really wanted knowing they were about to close) and then they took it a step further when the club manager came over to me and insisted I move over to the seats with a great view and insisted on a drink. When I asked if they had an Japanese Whisky she disappeared and came back with some Yamazaki (from taste think it was Yamazaki 12) from their last bottle (that's what she told me). I had been there once before (in 2015 before a CX 744 J flight to HKG) but I am far from a frequent flyer / high roller so to get that kind of treatment as an AA J passenger in a CX lounge speaks volume to the staff and quality of the CX lounge at HND.
tennislover9 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Next up is Cathay's outdated regional J on the 4 hour 45 min flight down to Hong Kong. I did not mind the outdated seat as this was a short daytime flight with excellent service, good documentaries on the IFE and pretty good food.

Short connection in Hong Kong meant no time to check out the Wing or Pier Lounge. And onto the 3 hour 30min flight on the internationally configured 777-300er down to Singapore. Sorry for lack of photos here. I napped the entire way through the flight. I was in last row of the mini-cabin Row 19. Great for privacy and sleeping...

[
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Finally had some time on the ground with two days in Singapore. Let me say that this city impressed me very much. A really neat blending of cultures with distinct neighborhoods catering to large population of Chinese, Indian and Malay cultures. It was beautiful seeing the interaction of these cultures within neighborhoods. People I spoke to were all extremely friendly and were above all proud to be Singaporean. People like to complain but everyone is generally happy regarding day-to-day life-the reason they keep re-electing the same political party over and over again.

This is a place I could see myself living in. The oppressive heat was no more oppressive than a Florida summer.

Stayed at the Hilton on Orchard Road. This location was not all that central and the hotel was showing its age but the exec lounge was very nice with an excellent dinner spread.

Really enjoyed visiting the historic Raffles hotel. Unfortunately, the exterior is being renovated.

lb8001 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Up next Singapore Suites to Hong Kong. By far the most fun flight of the trip. If you are looking for a way to splurge on miles this should totally be one of the ways.

Taxi to the airport and directly to the first class check in. From the moment you step out of the taxi to the moment you are through immigration the entire process took 5 minutes at 6am. You feel like a VIP the entire way.

I know many people consider the Private Room ovverated but I loved every moment of it. Including the free flowing 2006 Dom, the blissful quiet of the room and excellent service inside the restaurant.

What is there to say about Singapore Suites? From the moment you step onboard you are treated like family. First class almost feels overstaffed that is how much they pamper you. I preordered the wagyu sirloin which was sensational. I made sure to try both Dom and Krug (Dom wins for me), some Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee and finish off the meal with a sip or 2 of Johnny Walker Blue...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.