Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cocoa Puffs? Nah, I'm coup coup for Zimbabwe!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cocoa Puffs? Nah, I'm coup coup for Zimbabwe!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Very cool report ironmanjt and kudos for creating a new TR category, the "event-driven" driven trip.
Planning a trip to witness political or other events of historical importance is a great concept and it will potentially keep you busy for quite some time...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Very cool report ironmanjt and kudos for creating a new TR category, the "event-driven" driven trip.
Planning a trip to witness political or other events of historical importance is a great concept and it will potentially keep you busy for quite some time...
Well, I do live in Washington, DC....so here's hoping my next trip "happens" without me leaving home
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Awesome, and fast visit Ironmanjt! Thanks for sharing - one of my best friends in from Zimbabwe and it's cool to get a look inside.
ironmanjt likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great report and pics ironmanjt, as always. It's not often you see a TR from the middle of a military coup.
Love the Mugexit newspaper headline. And your report title.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Wink

Originally Posted by Madone59
Awesome, and fast visit Ironmanjt! Thanks for sharing - one of my best friends in from Zimbabwe and it's cool to get a look inside.
Yeah, I've done a lot of my research on the country as well so was an absolutely fascinating time to be there!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Great report and pics ironmanjt, as always. It's not often you see a TR from the middle of a military coup.
Love the Mugexit newspaper headline. And your report title.
It was the most low-key military coup ever, most likely...though I heard a minister or two did take a bullet trying to run when their homes were raided for ill-gotten cash. I still say "Mugexit" is trying a little too hard!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Great TR!! Yes the minute I saw your picture from the hotel over the park I thought "that's been on the BBC" - great work
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
awesome trip report as always, sir. where`s the next trip to?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by injian
awesome trip report as always, sir. where`s the next trip to?
TBD - leading contenders are Sudan, Somalia, Syria...

Wait, if I get one more S-Country I could do an SSSS trip report and mock the TSA
DanielW likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Another great report, seems like it was a great time to be there!!

Lets hope you miss the writing and and carry on doing yor reports
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aidy
Lets hope you miss the writing and and carry on doing yor reports
I'll keep writing for my blog regardless, but with the new interface it's gone from 10-15 minutes to nearly an hour to crosspost to FT. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:49 am

Great report, as always! Looks like SAA does a better seat than canapes... too bad the service isn't often great.

#Mugabyebye ?

Last edited by makin'miles; Dec 3, 2017 at 3:27 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:32 pm

Fantastic report. I’ve read a number of yours over the years and I’m always riveted by then. Thank you for sharing your fascinating travel experiences!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Haha - you arrived the day I left. I was with a client and we had seen some of his customers, and were due to see more, but he was determined to get me out ASAP, so got me on SA23 the next day, (when you arrived), otherwise we may have crossed paths in the hotel.This client gets a bit antsy when this kind of thing happens - they will face the music, but as a Consultant to them they make sure that they overcompensate my Safety.
I went with him to Namibia last Monday, and said that the remaining time he spent in Zim was amazing. I am concerned though, about Emerson and the Cabinet that he has selected - he does not have a good history. BUT, we all live in hope.
ironmanjt likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:46 am

May be you can nominate Mugabe now for the Ibrahim Prize . US$5 million plus $200,000 a year for life so not too shabby. Help keep his boys in Sandton stocked up with champagne and Rolex's.
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'll keep writing for my blog regardless, but with the new interface it's gone from 10-15 minutes to nearly an hour to crosspost to FT. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time
Should be just as easy(?). I can still do my html to VB in a text editor, and just using the 'find and replace' command a few times, as before. Just have to click the 'Source' button at the top of the FT reply window to see the VB code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.