Thanksgiving on the Cornish Coast with the Poldarks via American First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving on the Cornish Coast with the Poldarks via American First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I would have gotten up and closed the galley kitchen curtain as a BIG CLUE to the crew!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:38 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Glad you enjoyed Rick Stein's food. He has done wonders for Padstow, though some of the locals seem to hate him even though he has brought a lot of trade to the town.They even tried to burn down one of his establishments. http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/09/cornis...omber-6765364/ And he's a genuinely nice guy, too.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
We arrived on time at Terminal 3 and despite arriving at a gate with multiple jet bridges, AA only used 2L which made it a long time before we got off the plane. And then the long, long walk.

It appears that HKG is the only airport in which AA uses 2 jet bridges on the 77W, which makes no sense if your plane has FC and J then use two jet bridges. When we flew on AA51 LHR-DFW, I was surprised how far the gates were from the Flagship lounge. When we left the flagship lounge there were 5 AA elec carts, would have been a nice jester to take those in F to the gate in them.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Our Poldark Tour of Cornwall

Our driver/guide Tim, owner of Tour Cornwall, picked us up at 9:30am and we headed out for our day of sightseeing. Passing thru Truro, the capital of Cornwall County.

Our first stop is the seaside fishing village of Cadgwith.

Our next stop was Lizard Point.

Amazing to be sitting outside here in late November.

And the proper way to build a scone... jam first, cream on top... at least in Cornwall.

On the way to Lizard Point.

Our next stop was Kynance Cove on the western coast of Lizard Point. It's one of Cornwall's most beautiful and famous beaches, and the setting for many Poldark scenes where it is known as Nampara Cove.

Then off to Gunwalloe and the three coves, Dollar, Church and Fisherman's Cove.

Dollar Cove famous for shipwrecks both in history and in the Poldark series.

Wonderful St. Winwaloe Church or The Church of The Storms on Church Cove, featured many times in Poldark, but most recently this year as the church where Dwight Enys and Caroline Penvenen were married.

And Church Cove looking back from the Church.

Passing thru Penzance.

And St. Michael's Mount, on an island just off the coast.

Our next stop was Penberth Cove, a tiny fishing village featured prominentlly in the series this year.

The barn that Ross gave to Demelza's brothers Drake and Sam.

The fortunes of mining, with its lucky strikes, booms and busts, is part of Cornwall's history and a major theme in Poldark. Indeed, tin and copper have been mined here for nearly 5,000 years. At it's peak in the late 18th century, Cornwall was the wealthiest county in Britain. Most of Poldark's mine scenes were shot at Botallack Mines. This is West Wheal Mine Owles mine which is Ross's Wheal Leisure mine in the series.

The impressive Botollack Crowns engine houses.

With the sun setting, we headed back north to Padstow.

For many more pics of Ross Poldark's Cornwall and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com and Ross Poldark's Cornwall.

Additional HD installments posted on SFO777.com...
American First Class to London
London - One Aldwych, Lunch, Theatre and Dinner
Flybe from Gatwick to Newquay
Padstow and the guy that turned Padstow into Padstein
Ross Poldark's Cornwall
From Padstow to Stonehenge
Coworth Park Hotel in Ascot

Still to come...
• Lounge hopping at Heathrow's Terminal 3
• American First Class to LAX

Will post to FT as soon as possible
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757
Thanks SFO777 for another awesome report so far! Looks like you had a great trip. My wife and I just got back two months ago from London and had a great time. Your photos brought back memories of some of the places we went. We stayed over in South Kensington, but did make it over by Trafalgar Square at one point to visit the National Portrait Gallery which we very much enjoyed. AA F looks good, but too bad about the salad being a bit lacking. We flew Delta One from JFK and enjoyed it very much, but had a bit of a long delay at the beginning of the trip which led to a much later arrival into LHR.
Looking forward to the rest of your report!
All the best,
Matthew
Thanks very much Matthew. Glad you enjoyed London. Where did you stay in South Kensington. We rented an apartment on Launceston Place a few years ago and really enjoyed the area. Lots of great food options within easy walking distance.

Originally Posted by JHIN
I would have gotten up and closed the galley kitchen curtain as a BIG CLUE to the crew!
Except that the curtain on the L side is so thin that it wouldn't have made much difference. BTW, much better experience on our return yesterday. We were in 1J and 2J and the curtain on the galley side is much more substantial. Plus an FA that understood about keeping it closed.

Originally Posted by 1P
Glad you enjoyed Rick Stein's food. He has done wonders for Padstow, though some of the locals seem to hate him even though he has brought a lot of trade to the town.They even tried to burn down one of his establishments. http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/09/cornish-terror-group-burned-rick-steins-restaurant-and-has-first-suicide-bomber-6765364/ And he's a genuinely nice guy, too.
Wow, hadn't heard about the arson attempt, or Cornish separatists. Rick sure seems to have brought a lot of development and jobs to the town. Thanks 1P.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It appears that HKG is the only airport in which AA uses 2 jet bridges on the 77W, which makes no sense if your plane has FC and J then use two jet bridges. When we flew on AA51 LHR-DFW, I was surprised how far the gates were from the Flagship lounge. When we left the flagship lounge there were 5 AA elec carts, would have been a nice jester to take those in F to the gate in them.
Yeah, AA and service just don't compute sometimes. The again, using 2 jet bridges would cost extra so we know why they don't do it... especially when you have someone like Parker at the helm.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
We stayed at the Number 16 hotel just a few blocks from the hotel. It was great! Yes, so many good places within such a short distance.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Just catching up on your latest TR and really enjoying what I've read so far,

Loved seeing the Christmas lights in London, its been a while since I've been down to see them.

And yes it would seem that every UK airport now has "miles" of duty free to get through before you can reach the post-security area! I flew out of Edinburgh last weekend and its at least trebled in size compared to the last time I flew from there.

Wow at the pictures of Cornwall - its about one part of the UK that I haven't been to but looks spectacular. I love your room too and the bookcase in it - I can't say I have ever seen one of those in a hotel room before. Glad to see too that there were dishes in the Rick Stein restaurant for those that don't do fish.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Cornwall is indeed beautiful
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Great TR, thanks a lot!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After relaxing a couple of hours in our Rick Stein room, we headed down to the main Rick Stein building and Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant. You get picture. LOL.

I had the Lobster Risotto starter while Mrs. SFO777 went with a simple garden salad.

Our mains.

Lobster for Mrs. SFO777...

Pan fried from Blonde Ray (skate) from Cadgwtih, with bearnaise.

And desserts of course.

Next morning, a little breakfast before we head off on our 3 hour drive to Stonehenge.

And three hours later, we arrived at the Stonehenge visitor centre. While it was another gorgeous sunny today, temps had plunged overnight. Add in a brisk wind and we're looking at wind-chiils in the 20's and even teens Fahrenheit.

I froze my butt off waiting in line for tickets...

... while Mrs. SFO777 waited patiently in the warm restaurant... in no hurry to venture outside.

After buying gloves for both of us and a hat for me in the Stonehenge Gift Shop, we headed for the shuttle bus.

And fhe 5 minute drive to The Rocks.

Mrs. SFO777 freezing for the photo opp telling me to "hurry up, take your pics and let's get outta here". LOL.

We may have set a new record for the shortest visit to Stonehenge, as we raced back to catch the next shuttle returing to the visitor centre.

OMG... It's a long way from SoCal.

Meanwhile, back on the road. Hey, we could have seen The Rocks from the highway without getting out and getting cold. Ha.

For many more pics of From Padstow to Stonehenge and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com and From Padstow to Stonehenge.

Ross Poldark's Cornwall
Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounges at Terminal 3
American Flagship Lounge at Terminal 3

Still to come...
• American First Class to LAX

Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757
We stayed at the Number 16 hotel just a few blocks from the hotel. It was great! Yes, so many good places within such a short distance.
Just checked out Number 16. It looks beautiful. Thanks 757.

Originally Posted by nequine
Just catching up on your latest TR and really enjoying what I've read so far,
Loved seeing the Christmas lights in London, its been a while since I've been down to see them.
And yes it would seem that every UK airport now has "miles" of duty free to get through before you can reach the post-security area! I flew out of Edinburgh last weekend and its at least trebled in size compared to the last time I flew from there.
Wow at the pictures of Cornwall - its about one part of the UK that I haven't been to but looks spectacular. I love your room too and the bookcase in it - I can't say I have ever seen one of those in a hotel room before. Glad to see too that there were dishes in the Rick Stein restaurant for those that don't do fish.
Thanks very much nequine. Yeah, it seems like the miles of duty free shops is spreading like a bad rash all over the world.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Cornwall is indeed beautiful
Gorgeous. I had no idea how lovely is was.

Originally Posted by florens
Great TR, thanks a lot!
Thank you so much florens.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
My god, that curtain is more of a net!!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Stone Henge is always windy. I went there with a friend from Sth Florida in mid June, it was about 80F and she was still freezing and wearing a coat!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Coworth Park Hotel - Ascot

On the road again for the final leg to Ascot and The Coworth Park Hotel. Today's purchases to keep us from freezing and caps to block the inevitable lights from the galley on tomorrow's AA flight home. And some lunch.

Some 75 minutes later, we arrived at Coworth Park Hotel, a gorgeous hotel in a magnificent country setting.

The lobby area.

The Drawing Room

Lounge...

... and bar.

The 3rd floor hallway of The Mansion on the way to our room.

Our beautifully furnished room #23 .

While Mrs. SFO777 rested, I headed out to explore the lovely grounds.

The Spa.

With its own restaurant, The Spatisserie.

Despite being guests, we were unable to get into either of the two main "fully booked" restaurants, the Michelin 1 star Restaurant Coworth Park or The Barn. So we headed to the bar where we snagged a great table by the fireplace.

And then a delicious dinner.

And then back to our room to watch a couple of movies from the hotel's DVD library.

For many more pics of Coworth Park Hotel in Ascot and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com and Coworth Park Hotel in Ascot.

Ross Poldark's Cornwall
Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounges at Terminal 3
American Flagship Lounge at Terminal 3
American First Class to LAX

nequine and zip10001 like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
That looks a very nice hotel you are at in Ascot. It would be nice to explore those grounds in the summertime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.