Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Summer is a state of mind; Kaanapali, Maui, via Alaska Airlines with my 13 yr old son

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer is a state of mind; Kaanapali, Maui, via Alaska Airlines with my 13 yr old son

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Thanks for posting this report. Happy to see a child traveling with his folks. Looks like you all had a great time.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand
Great report so far! Just got back from Maui in early October. Do most Maui resorts charge for lounge chairs on the beach? In my limited experience, only having been twice, our resort did not.

We also stopped at Costco for wine, beer, and some surprisingly good poke after arrival. Buying local beer at $9 a six pack, was much more reasonable than $9 a can at resort prices. We brought a cheap and small soft cooler that we would fill with ice from the hotel daily and bring by the pool and the beach.
Thanks UnitedWeStand. I find the Maui Costco to be even cheaper than trying to bring in Duty Free into the United States. It's a must visit on our way through; schedule permitting.

We've found that there is a charge for beach chairs at the Sheraton Maui, the Moana Surfrider by Westin in Honolulu. There was no charge at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea however...

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great! I always tried to see a turtle in the water but never was successful so far.
Them turtles are elusive offerendum, but they are pretty neat if you manage to see one without the hordes of people around.

Originally Posted by janehoya
Thanks for posting this report. Happy to see a child traveling with his folks. Looks like you all had a great time.
I can see why this board is filled without trips with kids janehoya. When they are limited to summer and spring break, it makes it harder to secure those long distance air mile seats!!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Lahania,
Maui, USA

After several days on the beach, it was time for a trip into nearby Lahania. It’s pretty much the gateway town for the Kaanapali and Kapalua beach area. Lahania was the original capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1820 to 1845 before the capital was moved to Honolulu, Hawaii.

We self drove down from the hotel and parked at the south end. We started at the fantastic and awesome Banyan Tree. The tree is reportedly the largest in the United States and was planted in 1873. The son had a great look into the tree, which takes up a whole city block.

We wandered up the quaint but highly touristy street. Its full of souvenir shops and restaurants for visitors, but that’s what you came here for in the first place…

It wasn’t long before we came up to the waterfront. You can see a little ways out towards the sea way between the islands here, making for a very picturesque Main Street Walk.

We had a beautiful sunset here before a family dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen. No Spago for us tonight!! LOL.

nequine likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Kapalua Bay.
Maui, Hawaii, USA.

During towards the end of our stay, we ventured in the rental car up to Kapalua Bay. I hadn’t previously ventured north (or west) of Kaanapali, Maui so it was new territory for me.

We wandered down the back roads off the Honoapilani highway. There’s only about 20 parking spots at the public beach access so I dropped the family and headed back down the road to find some street parking.

I trucked down the short beach access to find a beautiful small crescent shaped beach. It had a bit of a compact shore line but we were able to find some space and lay down some towels.

During our stay, we had several sea turtles within sight of the shore hovering around including babies. It kept MrsWT73 occupied with her snorkel as she spent time looking at them despite the strong waves in the area.

The turtles were so close, you could easily see them from shore. They spent most of their time scraping away at the rocks that were close to the shoreline. The visibility was not that good thanks to the shoreline being so rough.

My son enjoyed the strong waves here. He kept announcing publicly that his dad was trying to kill him (by bringing him to the beach thanks to the super strong waves); much to the interested attention of anyone around that would listen to him. I somehow made it off the beach and back to the hotel with out being reported to the Ministry of Child Protection and Family Services. Otherwise a pretty excellent spot for a family beach away from the hotel crowd and we’d easily return. The only minus was the rocky area near the shallows and the strong current that would make it unsuitable for kids under 10. You'd have to strictly supervise paddling here as a parent!

We had a McDonalds dipped cone on the way back and fries. A random comment but that’s the kind of day that it was.

All in all, I was pretty happy with our getaway in Maui, Hawaii. It was great to spend some time in a safe destination where there aren't many complications, everyone is happy with the surf and restaurant choices. Kaanapali was a nice area to anchor ourselves for a get family get away. MrsWT73 was already eying up the more expensive Starwood offerings for a trip into the future.
nequine likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Lahania
Maui, USA (on the way out of town)

We were able to get a reluctantly agreed upon 2 PM check out thanks to SPG Platinum status (not guaranteed at resort hotels). It took several tries and re-visits to the front desk but that’s the best that we ended up with. We returned to Lahania and took a last look around. We had a bit of time to kill before the 10 PM flight. I started with the old Public Library on the waterfront. I thought it was cool and historic but my traveling partners thought I was nuts to be into such old school nostalgia.

My son was particularly interested in the tiny crabs that decided to visit the sidewalk.

We had a last look at the beautiful Banyan Tree as we walked back to the public parking lot. It’s always a great memory looking at this thing…

As our breakfast wore off, we had the opportunity to eat at the Paia Fish Market on Front Street. It was on our way out of town and the best option prior to getting to the airport. This place was a little gem full of locals. We had fresh and tasty fish tacos, rice and coleslaw with lemon. Divine!

Alaska Airlines
First Class (U)
OGG – SEA (Kahuilui International Airport – SeaTac Airport)
AS 878
August 24, 2017
Booked: Boeing 737-900
Flown: Boeing 737-900
Departure: 9:55 PM
Arrival: 6:30 AM + 1

After that, we went onward to the airport and returned the car to Thrifty without any additional charges. Unfortunately, we were a bit early so we enjoyed the sunset over the Iao Valley state park that was mostly covered in clouds. The Alaska counters were only open starting at 7:30 PM, which was 2.5 hours before the flight. MrsWT73 not all too happy about this since there isn’t anything but a tired starbucks on the public side of the airport. No restaurants or anything! We ended up checking in online via the kiosks and getting our bags tagged. We just had no one to drop them off to.

Son didn't appear to mind the wait. He was into his electronics to pass the time in yoga positions only a 13 year old can manage.

When the time came, We passed our bags through the agriculture inspection and were among the second in the Alaska MVP line. We were quickly through the TSA pre-check area at Kahului, which featured a strange photo history documentary of all the security incidents in the United States immediately after the security check.

Since it was well past dinner time, we ended up at Burger King and California Pizza Kitchen for our last meal in the United States' Hawaiian Islands. My son ended up spotting and asking for a Burger King crown. This turned into a selfie of himself - one of the few that he took the entire trip. “This is definitely goin' on instagram” ?!? Too cool to smile. Several hundred dollars putting a holiday together and this is what makes the social media feed. ha ha.

In further parental amusements, the boy located a machine that converted a penny into a Hawaii oval stamped coin. Another 50 cents down the drain. LOL.

We headed down to Gate 5 for the Alaska departure – the flight was already mid boarding by the time listed on the boarding card of his ticket.

MrsWT73 was upgraded in advance this time to first class, courtesy of an Alaska MVP upgrade. She forgot to take photos. Myself and the boy were in 11F and 11E. During the climb. we finished off the Amazing Race “Home Edition”. I have been creating clues sealed in dollar store envelopes for him on every trip we’ve been on and the last one is always the hardest clue for the grand prize. Today’s final question(s) was what were the 5 islands of Hawaii named, and what are the largest industries on the islands (past and present)?

After about twenty minutes of puzzle challenges, I aimed for sleep right away while the lure of The Lego Batman and Robin Movie was too much for him to resist and he stayed up and fiddled with the gogo entertainment app for some time. Per the Alaska App, there was only a cheese plate offered for food on this overnight leg. I slept through the beverage service.

I ended up waking up as we crossed the coastline of the USA by the Columbia River in Oregon. Some nice morning photographs.

We arriving straight into SEA-TAC and pulled up next to more Alaska planes in the C Gates. The plane was turned around to head to Newark within the hour.

All in all a terrific service from Hawaii with the usual entertaining Alaska service. I was happy that I slept through the flight on the way back and despite the late bag acceptance at OGG, it was a pretty flawless experience.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Alaska Airlines
Economy Class (T)
SEA – YVR (SeaTac Airport – Vancouver International Airport)
AS 2266
August 24, 2017
Booked: Boeing 737-900
Flown: Bombardier Q400
Departure: 08:05 AM
Arrival: 09:01 AM

We got off the Hawaii flight at Seattle. We had only 90 minutes connection time which was burned up quite quickly. We opted for some Seattle specialties at Beecher’s Cheese and had breakfast sandwiches (egg, ham and cheese for myself and grilled cheese for MrsWT73 and the boy) from Beecher’s Cheese. It certainly hit the spot; truly terrific. Unfortunately, I missed my morning coffee since the espresso line was completely different and the Starbucks line was about 30 persons deep.

We ended up finding duty free instead with the irritating “delivered to the gate” method that is everywhere in the USA and not many other places else. Our last flight up was a Horizon Air flight, which meant a propeller plane. This translated to an outdoor boarding process this morning.

It was a very speedy 35 minutes up to Vancouver where we landed in the E gates. As with all Seattle – Vancouver services on Alaska, there was no in flight service due to a short flight length.

All in all another very quick hop up to Vancouver on the Q400. There isn't much to report on these since its' a single cabin class of service aircraft with no in flight service. It's better to get the jet service on this route if you can find it but it isn't always available on Alaska. Interestingly enough, at the time of this report, Delta has announced that they will be up-gauging this route from an Embruaer 175 to a B737 jet due to high demand. Unfortunately, this has not translated to increased demand on the Alaska side as of yet.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion:

Here we are at the end of my twentieth trip report. This was my fourth official visit to the islands of Hawaii. I have to say that I really enjoy it as a tourist destination. Sure – the airport infrastructure is a bit run down, upgrades are not as prevalent (laughing) and it’s not as glitzy as some other parts of the world. It does make up in nice beautiful beaches and a great place to take a family. There is also something for everyone from family style restaurants, interesting attractions (volcanoes anyone?) and a peaceful vibe from the islanders that isn’t laced with desperation that you find at some other places in the world.

The Sheraton Maui was near perfect as a family hotel. It wasn’t over the top spectacular but I felt well treated as an SPG Platinum. The food at the resort was a little disappointing but thanks to a rental car, we made efforts to eat elsewhere. The fact that they opened up a massive suite for us as a check in Platinum upgrade on a 6 day stay was pretty awesome from my perspective.

Kaanapali was a terrific area to be based in for family travel. I enjoyed the beach front walk in the morning and was able to get in a run there along the walkway separating the hotels from the beach. It was nice to be able to walk to the various restaurants and even get shaved ice. It may not be the best for those looking for the ultimate in luxury but for this trip it served our needs just fine. I'll be looking forward to our next trip back to the islands.

Thanks for following.

Coming up:

Polynesia Part II – Easter Island, Chile and Mexico City via LATAM Business Class and Alaska Airlines First Class.

Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for the effort in putting that together, along with some great photos.

Ka'anapali and Lahaina aspects brought back many memories of our recent trip to Maui, although we approached from a different direction!.>>>
Aloha again, to OGG with BA & AA in the good seats.

BTW, which one of us is following the other around? Maui and Malta in the space of a year or so? Have just been back to Malta, this time staying in the middle of Valletta >>>
Malta with BA in Club Europe

Cape Town and the Western Cape in a couple of weeks ... when are YOU going there?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Great trip report!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:46 am

We did the trip around to Hana and it was spectacular, do the whole lap desert to rainforest in 15 minutes. Also did you jump off black rock. This is my 9 year old jumping, the gasps from the crowd was hysterical. He didn't even flinch but that might be an Australian thing

The back side of Maui on the Piilani Hwy
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks for the effort in putting that together, along with some great photos.

Ka'anapali and Lahaina aspects brought back many memories of our recent trip to Maui, although we approached from a different direction!.>>>
Aloha again, to OGG with BA & AA in the good seats.

BTW, which one of us is following the other around? Maui and Malta in the space of a year or so? Have just been back to Malta, this time staying in the middle of Valletta >>>
Malta with BA in Club Europe

Cape Town and the Western Cape in a couple of weeks ... when are YOU going there?
Thanks T8191! We're just hitting all the good travel destinations. We were through Cape Town in summer 2016. It's a great place to visit.

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
Great trip report!
Thank you TransWorldOne. Appreciate the readership.

Originally Posted by Flavio1990
We did the trip around to Hana and it was spectacular, do the whole lap desert to rainforest in 15 minutes. Also did you jump off black rock. This is my 9 year old jumping, the gasps from the crowd was hysterical. He didn't even flinch but that might be an Australian thing
\
Thank you Flavio1990. Your son is a lot braver than mine is - I can't even say that I would be jumping off the rocks myself!!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Even though I live on the North Shore of O'ahu I haven't been to Maui in quite a few years, so I enjoyed your trip. Like you, I think Kaanapali is a well planned resort and there;s plenty of diversions along the coast and in Lahaina. I remember staying at the Sheraton years ago and the morning when I was on the balcony, a whale breached close in. Maui is very beautiful. or as they say on that island "Maui no ka oi," meaning Maui is the Best. But for me, I like to go to the Big Island for my get aways.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
Even though I live on the North Shore of O'ahu I haven't been to Maui in quite a few years, so I enjoyed your trip. Like you, I think Kaanapali is a well planned resort and there;s plenty of diversions along the coast and in Lahaina. I remember staying at the Sheraton years ago and the morning when I was on the balcony, a whale breached close in. Maui is very beautiful. or as they say on that island "Maui no ka oi," meaning Maui is the Best. But for me, I like to go to the Big Island for my get aways.
Thanks HawaiiFlyerDC8. Kaanapali fits the bill for tourists; it's an excellent visit experience for mainlanders since everything is available and mostly closely. If I were a resident of Maui, I'd probably live somewhere else out of the tourist zone.

We had better luck with whale sightings at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea Maui but whale spotting can be pretty good everywhere as you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.