Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nequine
Wow, impressive!
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Simply superb report offerendum with your usual amazing pics of our favorite city on the planet. We've stayed at the Shangri-la twice and quite enjoyed the slightly off the beaten path location., although we'll probably stay somewhere else on our 20th anniversary trip next May.

That seafood soup presentation is lovely and very unique. ^

Originally Posted by offerendum

Interesting presentation and great taste. My favourite.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by SFO777
Simply superb report offerendum with your usual amazing pics of our favorite city on the planet. We've stayed at the Shangri-la twice and quite enjoyed the slightly off the beaten path location., although we'll probably stay somewhere else on our 20th anniversary trip next May.

That seafood soup presentation is lovely and very unique. ^
Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Musée Rodin

Only a short walk and we arrived Musée Rodin.
The museum contains of 2 buildings, one with the permanent and one with a temporary exhibition (didn´t visit, nothing interesting).
In the permanent collection which is located in a 18th century townhouse. Rodin lived here at the beginning of the 20th century. The collection contains of sculptures and some impressionistic paintings:

The garden contains many sculptures and is a peaceful place:

lb8001, nequine and bitterproffit like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

L´Arpege

After the museum it was time for our first 3 star restaurant in Paris. As I´m very interested in vegetables L´Arpege was the logical choice. To be honest I didn´t feel like eating a huge meal, but I hoped it will get better when I taste delicious food....
From outside it´s not spectacular:

From inside it´s furnished in an elegant Art-Deco style. It was fully booked. We were greeted by nice plates:

We could choose between a Lunch-menu (145,00 €) and the Vegetable Tasting menu (320,00 €). We decided to try the Lunch.
First some little bites, which were good:

For the first course some beetroot tatar.

Not my favourite dish.

Second came one of their signature dishes, an egg:

I found it not bad, my company gave me half of hers. She wasn´t impressed.

Next came some soup with ravioli:

The soup had an intense taste of celery, which isn´t my favourite vegetable.

Now beetroot sushi:

Nice idea.....

At this point I wasn´t really hungry anymore.
I don´t know excactly what it was.....

Punmpkin soup with cream:

After this dish I felt a rumbel in my stomach and I had a longer and unpleasant visit at the bathroom. It didn´t really help that the guy from the neighboring table permanently rattled at the door. Normally I would...... but not this time. When I finally was back at the table I was drenched in sweat and my company was a little bit worried.....

I decided to stay stong. When I pay for food I eat it.....
No real memories about this one:

Alain Passard did his round thru the restaurant. I wasn´t absolutely not in the mood to chat.... He asked if we liked his vegetables and told us they are from his own garden, that he likes beer etc.... Sorry, but I had other problems....

Now the first main, monkfish:

At this time I wasn´t really able to rate a dish, but the fish tasted like roasted smoked pork neg (Kassler on German). In my memories a terrible monkfish, one of the worst I ever had. I´m not sure if it was because of my illness, but my company also confirmed it wasn´t her taste.

After the monkfish they served another soup....

I took a bite but was surprisingly clever enough to stop.

My GF asked how many dishes were coming and they told us one main. She decided to skip it, I didn´t object.

Dessert:

I only took a small bit, my GF thought it was not impressive.
We asked for a taxi. Normally one more dessert should come, but the waiter wasn´t able to tell us what it was. We denined.
Our taxi arrived soon and we left, Alain Passard said goodbye.....
It was one of the worst meals I had due to my illness. So I can´t really judge the food. But I´m sure even in perfect health I would not have been impressed, I had much better meals elsewhere. For me not really a 3 star......
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Not sure I really get the concept of paying an exorbitant amount of money for so little food on your plate!
kosy91 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not sure I really get the concept of paying an exorbitant amount of money for so little food on your plate!
That´s a question of faith
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
I was about to say that - for not just this one, but for all of the food displayed on this trip! Food is too expensive in Paris!

But offerendum, the trip report was great. Loved the photos of Versailles, our favourite place in Paris. We have been there on a rushed two-day Paris sampler tour. It was in late November 2014 (a month before the first terror attack), and we didn't face many crowds in the museums (but we went in the evening hours). Versailles though, we really lucked out. It was a coldish day (about 10 degrees C), but we walked right up to the gate. The only down side there was that most of the statues (gargoyles?) around the fountains had been dismantled for restoration (don't know if they do it every year, or whether we were unlucky in that matter). And, needless to say, there were not too many flowers in the gardens either!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:14 pm

thanks for your report
By living there, it is so easy to forget how beautiful the city is!
Thanks for reminding me to enjoy it every second
Parisians are very lucky, but they just do not it enough :-)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by an_asker
I was about to say that - for not just this one, but for all of the food displayed on this trip! Food is too expensive in Paris!

But offerendum, the trip report was great. Loved the photos of Versailles, our favourite place in Paris. We have been there on a rushed two-day Paris sampler tour. It was in late November 2014 (a month before the first terror attack), and we didn't face many crowds in the museums (but we went in the evening hours). Versailles though, we really lucked out. It was a coldish day (about 10 degrees C), but we walked right up to the gate. The only down side there was that most of the statues (gargoyles?) around the fountains had been dismantled for restoration (don't know if they do it every year, or whether we were unlucky in that matter). And, needless to say, there were not too many flowers in the gardens either!
Thanks!s, most Restaurants are overpriced. I know rushed trips to Paris, did one in 2006.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bebert
thanks for your report
By living there, it is so easy to forget how beautiful the city is!
Thanks for reminding me to enjoy it every second
Parisians are very lucky, but they just do not it enough :-)
Not sure if I really like to live there but I agree that the city is beautiful^
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Opera Garnier :(

I really looked forward to the performance at the opera!
After we arrived at the hotel I took a few hours sleep and hoped I was fit enough in the evening. The good news was I was able to get my suit on without help! In the lobby it was obvious, that I was not able to leave the hotel. With a heavy heart I decided to let my girlfriend go alone to the opera and to stay at the hotel. It was the right decision, it followed a very unpleasant evening and night. I spare you details....
Unfortunately my girlfriend wasn´t able to sell my card, so she had 2 places! She loved the performance and found the opera impressive. As I visited before I can confirm, that it is a stunning building.
Here some pictures she took:

P.S. I first thought about wearing a dinner jacket at the opera. From what my girlfriend told me and you can see on the Pictures even a proper suit is overdressed these days. Without words....
nequine and an_asker like this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
I really looked forward to the performance at the opera!
After we arrived at the hotel I took a few hours sleep and hoped I was fit enough in the evening. The good news was I was able to get my suit on without help! In the lobby it was obvious, that I was not able to leave the hotel. With a heavy heart I decided to let my girlfriend go alone to the opera and to stay at the hotel. It was the right decision, it followed a very unpleasant evening and night. I spare you details....
Unfortunately my girlfriend wasn´t able to sell my card, so she had 2 places! She loved the performance and found the opera impressive. As I visited before I can confirm, that it is a stunning building.
Here some pictures she took:

P.S. I first thought about wearing a dinner jacket at the opera. From what my girlfriend told me and you can see on the Pictures even a proper suit is overdressed these days. Without words....
I will, now and forever, wear an appropriate evening suit when attending the opera (and the theater in general) or having a late evening drink at a proper cocktail bar. I guess that makes me a prissy old fart. I like to think that there's still room for me in this contemporary society of jeans & tee shirts.

Splendid trip report, as always.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaterland
I will, now and forever, wear an appropriate evening suit when attending the opera (and the theater in general) or having a late evening drink at a proper cocktail bar. I guess that makes me a prissy old fart. I like to think that there's still room for me in this contemporary society of jeans & tee shirts.

Splendid trip report, as always.
Yeah, I also do it. Last time I visited our local Symphony (1026 seats, nearly full) I counted 5 guests with a tie, only I wear a suit.... Even for summer noteable...
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
What a wonderful trip report! Thanks for posting. I’m sorry you were ill on your trip. What a bummer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.