Sometimes, things turn out differently - a trip to the heart of France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sometimes, things turn out differently - a trip to the heart of France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Damn, such a lovely report. I wonder how much weight did you take with all the meals !
Keep up the good work.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by milesaddict
Damn, such a lovely report. I wonder how much weight did you take with all the meals !
Keep up the good work.
Not one gram - that was the only good thing about the gastrointestinal problems
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:34 pm

I am sorry that you were stricken by a GI issue. I am impressed with how you keep going even while you must feel dreadful.
Thanks for taking the time to post your report and photos.

Last edited by halfcape; Nov 12, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I am scrolling down through the Musee d'Orsay pics and seeing the kitsch and then without warning my jaw drops and those wonderful pictures you took of the Impressionist masters pop up on my laptop. Poppy fields, parasol women, Van Gogh masterpieces. I wasn't prepared. I might have said wow out loud. Thanks for amazing pics.
kathykathy likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by halfcape
I am sorry that you were stricken by a GI issue. I am impressed with how you keep going even while you must feel dreadful.
Thanks for taking the time to post you report and photos.
Thanks! Show must go on
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am scrolling down through the Musee d'Orsay pics and seeing the kitsch and then without warning my jaw drops and those wonderful pictures you took of the Impressionist masters pop up on my laptop. Poppy fields, parasol women, Van Gogh masterpieces. I wasn't prepared. I might have said wow out loud. Thanks for amazing pics.
Yeah, they have some great stuff. Only a few samples are shown here. Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cathedral Notre Dame

We took a taxi to visit Notre Dame:

Fortunately lines in front of Notre Dame were relative short and we were inside in a few minutes.

We also visited the treasury. Some of the artefacts are..... äh.... see yourself:

Finally we went to the archaeological crypt.

Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Saint-Chapelle

A few steps from Notre Dame is the Palais de Justice. Inside the Palais is Saint-Chapelle, one of the most beautiful excamples of gothic stained glass.

The lower church:

The upper chapel:

nequine and bitterproffit like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Conciergerie

Connected to the Palias de Justice is Conciergerie. First residence of the king, it was later the state prison during French revolution and last „home“ of Marie Antoinette.
Hall of the guards:

Cells:

Prisoners church:

Kitchen:
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Place de la Madeleine

We went to Place de la Madeleine, Main reason was that girlfriend was hungry and I had good memories about Fauchon.
Main attraction of the place is La Madeleine:

View from the entrance:

My girlfriend had a romantic cafe in mind, in fact Fauchon only offers outdoor seating.

There was no possibility to see the patisserie offerings..... We sat down and they brought the menu. Significantly they had already opened the site with their Champagne, thatīs what the place is all about. The other guests are in accordance with this. I found the waiters snobby and not inviting. The only „sweet“ offering was the patisserie of the day which was 10 €. All people who had something like that had a strawberry tartlett. No thanks.... I convinced my girlfriend to stand up and leave.....
kathykathy likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Nov 12, 2017 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Fantastic pics - you must have a very fast connection to be able to upload them - or am I doing it wrong (takes about 1-2 min to upload a not very big pic)
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
Fantastic pics - you must have a very fast connection to be able to upload them - or am I doing it wrong (takes about 1-2 min to upload a not very big pic)
Thanks - no, Speed is OK. Donīt have a special connection. Personally I find it relative slow.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Birthday treat

As it was my girlfriends birthday the hotel provided a cake and a bottle of Champagner.

The cake was delicious, the Champagner a nice gift back home (looks generous but I mustnīt spend one Euro (extra))
nequine likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

L'Abeille

At evening was time for the birthday dinner, if really fit or not. We decided to try L'Abeille, the 2 star restaurant at the Shangri-La. Always convenient to eat at the hotel and especially in my state.
The restaurant is elegant as you can expect:

First they brought a tartelett with mushrooms and some bread.

While the tartelett was pretty good the bread was uneatable. Terrible, a toughly mass. I got a little bit afraid.

The normal bread was OK, with excemption of I kind we did knew all from breakfast.

We choosed the tasting menu with 3 dishes, cheese and desserts. Price was 230,00 € per person. Paris......

Amuse Bouche: Sea Urchin with caviar

Good.

First course: Marinated scallops - hay and Lapsang Souchong cooked beetroot, shizo / balsamic condiment

Something missing? Yeah....

They like the show.....

Second course: Line caught pollack and caviar - cauliflowers, gently pan-fried brioche in Le Ponclet’s butter

And? Yes, of course.....

Caviar? Yes, they also brought some but I forgot to take a picture. The dish was good.

Third course: Chausey Isle’s lobster - vanilla, pumpkin and chestnuts cooked in casserole
They presented it at the table:

The dish itself was harmonic and delicious.

Now the cheese:

Nothing too special, here our selections:

First dessert: Roasted Rocha pears, beer ice-cream and malted flour biscuit,bergamot condiment

One of my least favourite desserts this year. The pear was OK, the beer ice-cream for us uneatable and the rest so so.

Second dessert: Frosted corsican honey - perfumed with lemon and eucalyptus

The signature dessert of the restaurant. Pretty good but also nothing I will tell in years about.

Petit fours:

Overall a good meal, solid 2 star level with better main dishes than desserts.

Something funny for the end. After a while 2 guys arrived and 6 bottles of wine were placed on the table. They took pictures and we first thought they present some wine or so. But they sat down and several glasses were placed on the table. It were 12! When they ate a dish they drank from every wine. The heads got redder and redder, the atmosphere obvious more relaxed.

Guess they got a nice bill.....

Last edited by offerendum; Nov 12, 2017 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by offerendum
Yeah, they have some great stuff. Only a few samples are shown here. Thanks
When we were there in 11/2014, photographing the artwork was prohibited at Orsay. They took off the ban in 2015, I believe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.