Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Looking forward to reading of your time in Beijing
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Don´t think I´m to keen on visiting transit-hotel Would most likely do a 2 night stopover.

The regional First is really bizzarre...... Totally useless product.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nequine
I went his Blog and read some, we are leaving Nov-3 for Beijing I'm more interested in the air quality
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
As am I ^^ I hope you got a meal at Da Dong! As always, thanks for taking us with you SFO.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I went his Blog and read some, we are leaving Nov-3 for Beijing I'm more interested in the air quality
I've followed the US State Dept air quality twitter feed for years now
https://twitter.com/BeijingAir?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Great report - as always expected here ^
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles

We spent four days at BFX near Chengdu volunteering at the Giant Panda Reserve.
Attached Images   
markman likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
My keeper made me pick up a big blob of panda poo. We also swept, racked, and bundled bamboo; cleaned enclosures to remove all panda waste products; and prepared food and fed the pandas. We got to keep our gloves but had to return our uniforms that we wore over our clothes for four days. There was an option to purchase a uniform but I did not look nearly as attractive in mine as some people.

The small group that I went with to volunteer is travelling again in 2018. Let me know if you want the details. We had eight people and our guide/interpreter. All meals, hotels, activities, and transportation (flights from Beijing to Chengdu and private van to and around Ya'an). Our first panda encounter was included. I paid extra for five minutes with one cub and then five minutes for a feeding session. No one else did the feeding, so I had five pandas all to myself.
Attached Images  
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Boten
But then what does one expect when someone posts a picture of a dish that has mostly been eaten and picked at?
I meant in general. JAL F used to be much better in the past.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Four Seasons Hotel Beijing

We had such a wonderful experience at the Four Seasons on our last visit three years ago that we decided to return again. Traffic from the airport was reasonably light today and we were at the hotel in 45 minutes.

Up to our suites on the 21st floor.

Our suite 2122.

OK, that's a pretty extreme precaution.

After we unpacked, we headed up to The Executive Lounge on the 26th floor. The lounge is a wonderful oasis with great staff and multiple food offerings throughout the day.

The lounge has an outdoor terrace with great views of the city.

We relaxed the rest of the afternoon and then head to Cai Yi, the hotel's signature Chinese restaurant.

Where the food was amazing.

After dinner, the view from the Executive Lounge terrace.

For many more pics of Four Seasons Hotel Beijing and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com and Four Seasons Hotel Beijing.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 4, 2017 at 8:36 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our first morning brought remarkably good visibilty for Beijing. Apparently, we have the upcoming Party Congress to thank as the government most likely shut down the heavy polluters for a few weeks. LOL.

I headed upstairs for breakfast before our 1st day of touring.

This morning, we're off to Tiananmen Square and The Forbidden City, with our guide Michael.

Lots of folks from the countryside in town this weekend. Apparently westerners are a novelty as we were stopped numerous times for photos.

A couple hours later, we exited the Forbidden City and walked to our rendezvous point with our wonderful driver, Mr. Ma, no relation to Jack.

For many more pics of The Forbidden City and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com and The Forbidden City.
nequine and bitterproffit like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 7, 2017 at 5:35 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peasant
Pocari Sweat is awesome! It is an isotonic drink, thus the moniker.
I actually did like the taste but the translation to English still leaves something to be desired, IMO.

Originally Posted by Askartus
Sorry for interrupting this (interesting, as usual) trip report with my 2 cents and pictures, but since we went to Chengdu 4 weeks ago, I have to add a few words, if somebody thinks about going to Dujiangyan: A picture is not guaranteed. Our Panda decided after a while, that he doesn´t like sitting anymore. So for the last 4 people of our group the event ended without sitting next to a panda.
Thanks very much Askartus. Wow, bummer for the last 4 people to miss out when the panda decided to move around. I'm hoping they got a refund.

Originally Posted by offerendum
I love them Once I will pay some naive guy 100 € if he goes on a market in Italy and sells it as "original Parmesan"
LOL. Well I guess that at some point it was something original.

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Correction, they had me wear a green polo for volunteering with a blue see through gown for the photo opportunity. The jumpsuit would definitely have been better.
Taking care of pandas are expensive. I got lucky that my credit card went through because they kept saying that they had issues with foreign cards and I didn't have enough cash to cover everything. I'm not use to carrying much cash on me even when traveling abroad. I did think it was funny that they called it a donation. And apparently only foreigners are allowed to volunteer and participate in the photo op.
Thanks vh_bu98 and for the info on the credit card. I typically don't carry a lot of cash but was warned in advance so I had enough cash just in case. We did have a problem at some places that (supposedly) had issues with foreign credit cards.

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I'm loving this trip report + the great photos, but I have to confess the panda part is just super cool!!!
Thank you very much aquamarinesteph. The pandas were the highlight of the trip. Working on editing pics tonight and some of them are just priceless.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks nequine.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Don´t think I´m to keen on visiting transit-hotel Would most likely do a 2 night stopover. The regional First is really bizzarre...... Totally useless product.
Certainly not the most luxurious but IMO, it beats waiting in line to enter Korea, going thru customs, taking a shuttle to and from and re-entering the airport. Strange regional First product indeed with the exact same seat and configuration as Business Class.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Thanks FlightNurse. Hope you air quality is OK when you arrive.

Originally Posted by Madone59
As am I ^^ I hope you got a meal at Da Dong! As always, thanks for taking us with you SFO.
Thank you Madone59.

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I've followed the US State Dept air quality twitter feed for years now
https://twitter.com/BeijingAir?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Great report - as always expected here ^
Thanks so much Hoyaheel. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
My keeper made me pick up a big blob of panda poo. We also swept, racked, and bundled bamboo; cleaned enclosures to remove all panda waste products; and prepared food and fed the pandas. We got to keep our gloves but had to return our uniforms that we wore over our clothes for four days. There was an option to purchase a uniform but I did not look nearly as attractive in mine as some people.
The small group that I went with to volunteer is travelling again in 2018. Let me know if you want the details. We had eight people and our guide/interpreter. All meals, hotels, activities, and transportation (flights from Beijing to Chengdu and private van to and around Ya'an). Our first panda encounter was included. I paid extra for five minutes with one cub and then five minutes for a feeding session. No one else did the feeding, so I had five pandas all to myself.
Wow, what an amazing experience. And five pandas all to yourself. And those pics incredible. Thanks FlyForFun for posting the pics and the details of the volunteer tour.

Originally Posted by fly747first
I meant in general. JAL F used to be much better in the past.
I agree. Thanks fly747fly.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:26 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I read the website version so commenting ahead. The place you had lunch in Xi’an, after the Great Mosque, looks like Defacheng. Was it on the between the Drum and Bell Towers, on the upper level of the exterior shopping area ?

Great TR, I think we might have been in Xi’an at the same time, I was there mid October, staying at the Sofitel, and did nearly exactly the same things as you, including the Hot Pot.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great pics so far of Beijing!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:20 am

Enjoyed reading through this. I go to Beijing frequently and visited Chengdu but Xian has always been on the list.

And HaiDiLao hotpot is delicious. They have a location in LA now.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:55 pm

Really enjoyed this report with some great pictures.

Just curious though, can you use the satellite NRT JAL First class lounge even if flight departs from the main terminal and If so, how long does it take to get there?

Any replies would be appreciated and apologies if this has already been answered!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.