Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malta with BA in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rapidex
Nice report Uncle T.We both share your enthusiasm for Malta.
Cheers! Perhaps you could invite us aboard your yacht next time you're in port?
rapidex and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Cheers! Perhaps you could invite us aboard your yacht next time you're in port?
Are you sure you can afford what he charges?
T8191 and rapidex like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Calchas
Are you sure you can afford what he charges?
T8191 is assuming he’ll get a Senior discount
T8191 and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very nice and interesting report. Trying to think of places to go in Europe with my parents for my uni graduation and this definitely gives a point or two to Malta. Thanks again!
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Another great trip that seems to have gone a bit easier than your Maui adventure!!

I enjoyed Malta when we visited in late 2016. It's a pity you didn't get to see the Azure Window one last time before it collapsed...

In keeping with the theme of overseas proposals, I proposed to MrsWT73 in Dahab Egypt. Although I don't think we'll be going back there any time soon with the Sinai insurgencies. Maybe we will re-visit in 30 years like yourselves and find things much the same.

Travel safe!
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Mr WSM and I had lunch at Dimitri today. It is indeed a hole-in-the-wall which we have probably seen but have never even given a second glance on previous visits to Malta. It was wonderful, many thanks for the recommendation!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Mr WSM and I had lunch at Dimitri today. It is indeed a hole-in-the-wall which we have probably seen but have never even given a second glance on previous visits to Malta. It was wonderful, many thanks for the recommendation!
Oh, we are SO pleased you enjoyed it! ^

It's always scary recommending places when people have such varied tastes and desires. For us, it was ideal, and Paul is a star
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Oh, we are SO pleased you enjoyed it! ^

It's always scary recommending places when people have such varied tastes and desires. For us, it was ideal, and Paul is a star
We were lucky enough to meet Paul after he’d closed the kitchen for the afternoon. He asked who had recommended his place and I told him about your trip report on FlyerTalk and that I thought you had last visited in July.
“Ah, they are a lovely couple, everyone likes them!”
Were your ears burning?! He also showed us the Jersey flag coaster you had given him.
Can’t wait to go back and try more items from the menu, though I’ll probably have the Maltese beef olives again, they were so good.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Missed this the first time round - great report Uncle T - a place I want to visit soon!

aks120
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aks120
Missed this the first time round - great report Uncle T - a place I want to visit soon!
Go for it, lady ... right up your street. But stay in the City, not the Tourist bits!

Hugs from us both.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Hugs from us both.
Hugs back

aks120
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
T8191 . Belated thanks for the report. Off to Malta to teach some ATC business for 3 weeks in May, only a day after returning from 2 weeks in Melb on a QR sale fare from ARN (groan). First visit to Malta. Knew that I seen your TR when first published so have revisited for some INTEL. Agree with your sentiment about staying local. It looks to be right up my street especially the hole in the wall restaurant/bar. Havent confirmed accomm yet but will no doubt end up outside Valetta due to potential traffic conjestion getting to the airport daily. And I must remember that I am working and not on holiday! Valuable advice gleaned: was wondering about the unusual acft config and seat guru was no help with reports. So outbound 3A over 1A and inbound 2F over 1A/C. Hot meal looks quite good so enthusiasm for the ride up a notch. And I hadnt nb'd the fact that the lounge wont be open for the early departure so shant bust a gut getting to LGW too early.
Tnx FT & Uncle T (we met at the Jersey Do)

Rgds OF
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cheers, OldFruity ... sorry I can’t off the top of my head offer any help about staying near Luqa, but you have identified the potential for traffic issues! I hope you get time off (weekends) to get into Valletta and get a taste of the real Malta! Enjoy the trip ... we’re booked for September
OldFruity likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I really enjoyed your Malta TR, photos and of course commentary.

We were in Malta in 2017, only by ship and our ship overnighted so had time for touring both days.

I am fascinated by rock formations so that is what many of my photos are.

Thank you for your interesting reports.

Jeannie
T8191 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:26 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Just catching up with this TR.....

The Maltese language is not Phoenician (as stated twice) but a blend of Arabic and Sicilian/Italian with a bit of French and English thrown in.

Re queuing at BA check-in/bag drop on leaving Malta, it is always like this. Completely inadequate staffing. The last time I was there, a lot of people missed their flight because (I was told later) it took as much as three hours to reach the head of the queue, even for elites.

Sticking only to Valletta means one misses out on many things including Mdina, a wonderful old city and in some ways much more interesting than the capital, as well as the Gozo prehistoric remains and gems such as the seaside village of Marsaxlokk and the Tarzien Hypogeum......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.