Family trip to Bali & 1st Indonesian domestic flight with 777

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GarudaMiles, KrisFlyer, FlyingBlue
Family trip to Bali & 1st Indonesian domestic flight with 777

Hello friends!

Hello friends of FlyerTalk!

Welcome to one of my reports. Firstly, as usual, please apologize my bad English and not-too-good quality photos. Please also not to be surprised if you see similar reports on other sites, as I wrote them all by myself.

Before to the main story, I will recap all my reports written here.

First Time & Last Time by Air France, Singapore-Jakarta
An Indonesian Domestic Flight with Garuda Indonesia, from Jakarta to Pekanbaru
A Short Trip to Malaysia & Singapore with KLM (B77W) and Indonesia AirAsia (A320)
Jakarta, Medan, Aceh, KL, and Malacca in 4 Days
A Journey with Jetstar and KLM + trip to Genting
Malaysia Airlines + KLM + Overland Trip to Thai Border
Another Indonesian Domestic Flight with Sriwijaya Air
5th freedom route of KLM (once again) + Malaysian overland tour
Kuala Lumpur in Half Day

BACKGROUND

The main purpose of this Bali trip was to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday. What a long life for her. In this special occasion, our family decided to arrange a special family tour to Bali. But we had realized previously that the date was coincidence with one of Indonesian national holiday, the Eid Al-Adha, one of important Islamic celebrations. That's why we had preserved the tickets about 4 months before the journey, and even at that time the ticket price had hiked higher than normal.

Why Bali?

My uncle (my mom's 2nd brother), an owner of a well-known advertisement company in Jakarta, has a private villa located in Seminyak, not so far from Kuta. That's why Bali is suitable for us to celebrate this special occasion. As you know, Bali is the most popular tourist area in Indonesia. Some people outside Indonesia even know about Bali but not Indonesia, not knowing that Bali is part of Indonesia. What a very popular island. Popularly called "Pulau Seribu Pura" (island of thousand temples), it's the only region in Indonesia where significant majority of its people adhere Hinduism, while majority of Indonesians are Muslim. Apart from temples, Bali is well-known for its beaches (Kuta, Seminyak, Nusa Dua, Sanur, etc). It has been popular for Australians to spend their weekend.

For the Jakarta-Bali route, I chose GA 412, scheduled to leave Jakarta at 8.00 p.m. Honestly, that was also because my auntie (my mom's youngest sister) and her family had chosen this flight. If I go alone, I'm not sure to choose this flight with the usual expensive price of Garuda, as this flight costed IDR 950,000 (about USD 71.50). Luckily for me that all tickets would be paid by my uncle (my mom's 2nd brother).

Then how about Bali-Jakarta?

Originally, I was scheduled to go back to Bali together with my large family group, not only me and my parents, but also my grandma and 2 families of my moms' sisters. We had bought a ticket of Lion Air scheduled to depart at 2.00 p.m.

But some weeks before the journey, my sister, a fan of K-Pop idols, desired to watch a concert of G-Dragon, a Korean rapper and member of Big Bang, on the same day we go back to Jakarta on September 3rd, and the concert was scheduled to start at 3.00 p.m in International Convention & Exhibition (ICE) Serpong, Tangerang, at southwestern side of Jakarta. As a young girl, she was too afraid to hop a plane alone, so I had to accompany her to Jakarta.

I then rescheduled our tickets to an earlier Lion Air flight at 9.25 a.m, while other family members would leave Bali later at 2.00 p.m.

All tickets had been reserved. Other things in Bali had been arranged by my family members. The only thing I need to do was waiting before the day of departure.

PARTS OF THE STORY

Part 1: Jakarta - Denpasar by Garuda Indonesia (GA 412), Boeing 777-300ER
Part 2: Pictures of Bali (beach, museum, food, etc)
Part 3: Denpasar - Jakarta by Lion Air (JT 31), Boeing 737-900ER

Last edited by anak_negeri; Sep 30, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Part 1: Jakarta - Denpasar by Garuda Indonesia (GA 412), Boeing 777-300ER

The flight would be my first time in Garuda's wide-body jet, and also my first domestic flight in wide-body jet, as I've mentioned in the report's title.

August 30th, 2017.

From our residence in southeastern Jakarta, I and my youngest sister hop a car through Go-car app to Soekarno-Hatta Airport. It costed IDR 125,000. Inside the car I had a long chit-chat with the driver. He told me that a nephew of him was a pilot in Kalstar, a small-scale airlines in Indonesia, and recently he operated its newest Embraer fleet. He also told me about his experience transporting people to the airport.

About 2 hours before scheduled departure of GA 412, we arrived at the Terminal 3 of Soekarno-Hatta Airport. Before July 2017, Garuda was the sole airline operating in this terminal, but recently Korean Air, China Airlines, and Saudia moved here. I heard that all Skyteam members will move here in 2018, while other Skyteam members (Vietnam Airlines, China Southern, Xiamen Air, and my favorite European carrier KLM) are currently still in Terminal 2.

Here we met our auntie and her family (her husband and cute twin children) who had arrived here earlier. Then we proceed to check-in counter. As we had done the online check-in, we just needed to drop our luggages and print the boarding passes.

There was still an hour before scheduled boarding time. We decided to eat Malay-style "roti kaya", added with 2 boiled eggs, and drink a cup of tea here.

Then we proceed to the boarding gate after an usual security check.

All gates shared the same waiting room. I like this arrangement, as we can still move freely before boarding, unlike in the terminal 1 or 2.

Need water? You can drink or fill your bottles here.

The boarding gate.

While waiting, an announcement was made, informing the people that our flight (GA 412) was delayed and the boarding was scheduled at 8.30 p.m. As the compensation, in line with Indonesian regulation, airline crews distributed a box of snacks, containing a bread, a choco bar, and a cup of mineral water.

To spend my times before boarding, I recharged my cellphone at a box containing 10 socket plugs. It really helps you lot. Free Wi-fi was also provided.

Finally we were called for boarding at 8.45 p.m. We reached the plane by bus. Same situation with my previous flight by Garuda to Pekanbaru.

Reaching the plane. Its reg code was PK-GIH. delivered in June 2015. Some days before our flight, it was used for Hajj flights, transporting Hajj pilgrims from Jakarta and Medan.

Entering the cabin.

My seat (39K) at the window side.

While waiting for the boarding completed, we had been allowed to explore the IFE. You can navigate the IFE through either the controller stick or the touchscreen LCD. It had nice collection of movies, especially Indonesian and American movies. But if I can compare with other airlines, personally I think Malaysia Airlines and KLM have better collection.

Boarding process completed. I don't know the exact number of passengers, but I guess the flight was fully occupied, and half of the passengers came from outside Indonesia. I saw many "western" people, holding Australian, American, British, French, and even Lithuanian passports. This was my 1st time seeing people from Lithuania, a country that was not too popular for Indonesian. "Garuda" and "Bali" were perfect combination for foreigners in Indonesia, making the flight chosen by many international tourists.

After boarding completed, the pilot made an announcement apologizing the flight delay, as there were problems on the previously-designated fleet and they decided to choose other plane.

Then the safety instruction video was played on the IFE. The video was in English and Indonesian, also containing sign-language for passengers with hearing disabilities. Honestly, the video was less "creative" compared to videos of KLM and Air France.

Outside the window, China Airlines and Korean Air were seen. They moved recently to the new Terminal 3.

Some minutes before take-off, cabin light was dimmed. This Indonesian music album from Sammy Simorangkir, ex-vocalist of "Kerispatih" band, accompanied me during take-off.

The plane started to fly at 9.50 p.m. (UTC+7). Lamps from houses in Jakarta were seen.

[/url]

Some minutes after departure, the seat-belt sign was switched off. Then the IFE showed a Skyteam advertisement.

As usual in every my flight, I checked all stuffs inside the seat pocket.

"Colours" magazine.

Another edition of "Colours", special for Hajj and Umra flights, containing articles about Islam, Mecca, and Middle East.

"Stars" IFE catalogue.

Souvenirs catalogue, also special for flights to Saudi Arabia.

During the flight, we faced bad weather for 3 times. That's why the meals came a little bit late to our seat, as the cabin crews had to pause serving meals during medium-scale shakes. There were 2 options of meals: chicken or fish. I said "fish" and the cabin crew gave me a food set containing fish fillet with sauce, rice, vegetables, and a cup of fruit jelly. I also asked for a cup of guava juice. The fish fillet had a bit spicy flavor, and the taste was average. Good enough to fill your stomach after 1.5 hours delay.

After finishing my dinner, I continued exploring the IFE.

Here you also can buy your desired items on the shopping catalogue. Wanna buy the bracelet?

Live TV channels were also available. You could watch the latest news happened, including the storm in Louisiana.

I also checked the plane's Wi-fi. Internet service was also available with hour-based rates. Very useful if you want to watch Youtube videos.

Don't forget the other important thing: the lavatory.

[/url]

I spent times before landing listening musics on the IFE. My sister, a fan of Korean idol groups, enjoyed listening K-Pop albums on the IFE.

Then the arrival announcement was made. We prepared for landing, fastening the seat-belt and adjusting the seat. Unfortunately I could not take photos during landing, as it was really dark outside the window.

Our plane touched down at Ngurah Rai International Airport, Bali, at 00.20 (UTC+8, an hour ahead of Jakarta).

Here I saw international carriers preparing for departure, including Qatar Airways, Korean Air, and China Eastern.

(I wish I can take better pictures, but I'm a bit traumatic to use pocket cameras. I had 2 cameras before, and the LCDs of both were broken easily.)

The plane reached the boarding gate some minutes later. Time to leave the plane.

Final pics of our plane.

Way to the baggage claim zone.

At the 1st row is Balinese script, written as "Om Swastyastu", a traditional Balinese Hindu greeting.

Baggage belt.

We then left the airport by a car ordered through "Grab" apps to my uncle's villa in Seminyak.

Last edited by anak_negeri; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Thanks for the detailed TR!

Originally Posted by anak_negeri
Need water? You can drink or fill your bottles here. The only disgusting thing was the Tamil sign. I don't think it's necessary here. Only a small number of Tamil people live in Jakarta or visit Jakarta frequently.
Your English is very good, but I'm confident you don’t mean “disgusting” in that passage. Perhaps “surprising”?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience.

May I ask, what was so "disgusting" about a sign written in Tamil language? In international airports it is common to see signs displayed in several languages. This water sign also has French and German which are not associated to Indonesia.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Thanks for the detailed TR!

Your English is very good, but I'm confident you don’t mean “disgusting” in that passage. Perhaps “surprising”?
Originally Posted by Descending
Thank you for sharing your experience.

May I ask, what was so "disgusting" about a sign written in Tamil language? In international airports it is common to see signs displayed in several languages. This water sign also has French and German which are not associated to Indonesia.
Sorry, it's not "disgusting", but only "annoying" my mind. OK, I will delete the sentence.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Yes I’m curious about the Tamil language as well. Lost in translation?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
Yes I’m curious about the Tamil language as well. Lost in translation?
OK. I apologize that I've used wrong word.

Actually I don't have any sentiment about Tamil language.

What I mean is, there are some criteria about what languages should be used in public signage.

Chinese, Japanese, Korean. These people understand almost no English, but they do travel to all parts of the world, especially growing number of Chinese tourists. That's why many airports install signs on these languages.

French people are so proud of their languages, making them don't have strong desire to learn English or other languages. I don't know exactly about how often French people travel especially to Indonesia and other Asian countries, but I've seen French people here in my country at least 10 times.

This also applies for Spanish language, the 3rd most-spoken language in the world.

Tamil? It's declared as official language only in Singapore and its native homeland, Tamil Nadu state in India. Then as a British legacy in India, generally Indian people can speak basic English. As far as I know, number of Indian visitors to Indonesia, especially from Tamil Nadu, is lower than tourists from China, Japan, Australia, Malaysia, etc. I really rarely listen people speaking Tamil in Jakarta and other regions in India. Even around 10,000 Tamil people in Medan today generally speak Bahasa Indonesia at home and don't speak Tamil anymore, unlike their Tamil brothers and sisters in Malaysia and Singapore who still preserve their native language.

I think what Angkasa Pura II (the operator of Jakarta's international airport) do is only copying similar signs in Changi Airport's water fountains, without considering what languages should be used in Jakarta's airport.

But if most people don't have any problem about it, fine.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks! Looking out for more
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:45 am

Great report and photos!!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks for posting. Very detailed.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Part 2: Pictures of Bali (beach, museum, food, etc)

Actually I spent 3 days in Bali before going back to Jakarta, but as I was too busy with my family, I didn't take too many pictures of Bali, so I display them on this single post.

Seminyak Beach, the closest public beach from our villa.

Kuta Beach, probably Bali's most popular beach. When we came here, a Balinese religious ritual just started.

Pandawa Beach. It was recently developed as a new tourist site, especially for Indonesian visitors.

Garuda Wisnu Kencana. It was a huge statue that was still under construction. The completed parts were only the Garuda's head and Vishnu head & torso.

A Balinese theatrical dance performance, still in Garuda Wisnu Kencana area.

Blanco Museum, housing works of Filipino-Spanish painter Antonio Blanco who married a native Balinese woman and lived in Ubud, Bali until his death. This "gapura" (gate) was actually based on his handwritten signature. Unfortunately we were prohibited to take pictures inside the museum.

Mount Batur & Lake Batur in Kintamani. Here we had lunch at a local restaurant.

Finally, my favorite Balinese food: "babi guling" (roasted pig). One of famous "babi guling" stalls is Pak Malen in Sunset Road, near Kuta.

Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Part 3: Denpasar - Jakarta by Lion Air (JT 31), Boeing 737-900ER

A day before the journey, I did the check-in process for all tickets, and this is my boarding pass.
*I forgot to take pics of the physical pass.

September 3rd, 2017. It was time to leave Bali and go back to our hometown. Together with my mom's oldest brother and his family who would take a Garuda flight to Jakarta at 9.20 a.m., we left our villa in Seminyak to Ngurah Rai Airport by a car hired through "Grab" app. The traffic was very friendly and we reached the airport in 30 minutes.

Arriving at the airport.

Long queue at check-in counter. Too bad that Lion Air didn't provide a special counter for those who had done the online check-in, so we had to join this long queue just to print our passes.

As we had only 20 minutes before boarding, we didn't have enough time to explore the airport.

Way to boarding gates.

If you forget to buy something in Bali, you can buy it here on the shops for last minutes before leaving.

Flight schedule of this morning. Our flight was JT31.

Waiting room, shared by all boarding gates. On my previous report I've told you that I really like this system, as we still can go freely anywhere before boarding.

Outside the terminal, an A320 of Batik Air had been ready for departure to Jakarta's Halim Airport.

Two Lions. At the left side was its newest Boeing 737 Max 8.

Only around 5 minutes in the waiting room, we had been called for boarding at 8.50 a.m.

This time we didn't use aerobridges to reach the plane. And this is our plane, with reg code PK-LFZ, delivered on May 2009.

Entering the plane. Honestly I felt that the cabin was less-maintained, especially if you see teared stickers on the seat tables.

Lion's 737 Max at our right side.

While waiting for boarding, I still had time to catch these pictures: Cebu Pacific and Wings Air.

The boarding process was finished and the plane was pushed back at 9.30 a.m (UTC+8). While Lion Air had been famous for its uncertain schedule, even parodied by some people as "LION = Late Is Our Nature", this time our flight departed on time. Cabin crews started the safety instructions. They were young and nice-looking.

The airport runway was unique that it was located on a reclaimed area surrounded by sea.

Then the plane flew safely and smoothly.

This is Bali's 1st toll road and also 1st toll road built on the sea.

Close to it was Tanjung Benoa area, where I and my family visited 2 days before. The area is popular as center of beach sport activities, especially snorkeling, banana boat, and jet ski.

Seat-belt sign was turned off. I opened the table and check all items inside the seat pocket.

In-flight food menu. IDR 50,000 (around USD 3.50-4.00) for this was too expensive for me.

Invocation Card, containing prayers from 6 official religions in Indonesia.

Amen.

"Lionmag" magazine. I was so proud that Lake Toba, my hometown, was featured here.

Entering Java Island. Here I saw beautiful views of Ijen and Semeru Mountains.

Cabin situation.

As no IFEs, my source of entertainment was only my cellphone, with musics and videos in it.

During the flight, we faced bad weather only 1 time. The rest was very smooth.

The plane started descending at 10.50 a.m. (UTC+7). View of Jakarta city started to be seen. This was reclaimed land in Pluit area, northern Jakarta.

Then we landed safely in Soekarno-Hatta Airport at 11.00 a.m.

Time to leave the plane and enter the terminal 1C building.

Baggage claim area.

Then we left the airport by an express bus to Serpong.

An A350 of Singapore Airlines caught by my cellphone while passing airport's Terminal 2.

OK, that's my report. Any suggestion and feedback are appreciated.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Terimah Kasih

Amazing you got the 777 from CGK to DPS - as your original aircraft most likely an A330 went technical.

It will be great with all Skyteam at in the same terminal.

I was thinking for flying GA DPS CGK then KLM to KUL but due to the terminal change we are going KLM to SIN then the train to KUL.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Amazing you got the 777 from CGK to DPS - as your original aircraft most likely an A330 went technical.
I had been following the GA412 on Flightradar24. Usually every Wednesday and Sunday GA will use 777 on this flight, while on other days you will get A330s. But this can be suddenly changed.

It will be great with all Skyteam at in the same terminal.
The airport has planned to move all Skyteam members to the new terminal until 2018. Today only Garuda, Saudia, Korean Air, and China Airlines have moved.

I was thinking for flying GA DPS CGK then KLM to KUL but due to the terminal change we are going KLM to SIN then the train to KUL.
I think going to SIN with KLM is the best option.

But actually as GA and KLM are codesharing, you should not get hassle for transit and changing planes, even though they are on different terminals. On my last flight with KLM KUL-CGK, there was an Australian family transiting in CGK and continuing their journey by GA.

BTW, there is another interesting option for DPS-KUL if you wanna try: Malaysian AirAsia X, using A330.

Malaysia Airlines also often uses A330 on this route, but this is seasonal.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
we often fly the Air Asia D7 A330 and will be flying them from KUL to SYD

I have often transferred at CGK from GA Domestic to GA International and also done GA International to InternationaL, and even QF International to GA domestic once.

Apart from the hit and miss of airbridge or bus gate its was always great airport to transit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.