Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt To Bruges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Oops sorry that you weren't too into the Why Him movie on outbound? I loved the celebrities in the movie. I laughed so much - I live near the Silicon Valley "tech" area. Quick Q - do you know or like the band KISS?
I've only been to Vianden, Luxembourg but I really enjoyed it.
Glad you enjoyed your Europe trip (solo) and hope you and Rianda can go again in the future - will you assist with the Visa paperwork for the next trip?
Thank you, gaobest. 'Why him?' wasn't a bad movie, it just didn't seem to live up to what it could be. When you've got an actor with the caliber of Bryan Cranston, you shouldn't need to resort to a toilet gag to get a laugh.
No issues with the visa paperwork, she just procrastinated a little too long. Our next trip is to Brazil though, so no visas for both of us.
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Thanks for sharing, and as we are getting used from your trip reports again wonderful pictures! Some of your trip reports (eg. the Sudan one) are a great inspiration for some trips I hope to make myself in the future!

I agree that while beautiful, Bruges is very touristy. Ghent is very similar looking but has indeed a much more lively everyday atmosphere.

The next time you are in Belgium (hopefully with Rianda, pity to read you had to travel alone on such a specially organised birthday trip!) perhaps try some other places in Belgium too.

Antwerp is nice (but can be crowded in the weekends with Dutch day trippers), Leuven is a beautiful university town.

One of my own personal favourites in Belgium is actually Lier - just a few minutes out of Antwerp. An equally historic town without any tourist whatsoever at all - and wonderful little restaurants and cafes with great local beers such as Caves.

Luxembourg has a lovely countryside (Vianden, Mullerthal) and nearby is also the Moselle wine region and Germany's oldest city of Trier.
Many thanks, Romanianflyer. Yes, all three countries are worth repeat visits, will definitely have to make a longer trip eventually. Would be great to see beyond the tourist hot spots as you have suggested too.
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Daniel, awesome trip report as always. I noticed when you had your burger in Frankfurt you had 2 little cups of ketchup. When I lived in Germany in the late 80s, you had to pay to ketchup. At the time, it was .20 pfennig (about .10cents) per package. Then the US military started building Burger Kings on military installations and that brought out free ketchup on the bases.

On a day trip to Luxemborg, we were walking around the city and just happened up on a ceremony involving the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg. The closest I ever got to royalty. I still have a picture of them.
Love the drone shots.
Thank you, HawaiiTrvlr. Yikes, can't imagine paying for ketchup!
I spotted Sheikh Mohamed of Dubai at the local mall (surrounded by bodyguards) so that was my close encounter with royalty.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Fantastic report and gorgeous photos as always! As a lover of European cities, I particularly liked this one. The drone photography is also great.
Looking forward to the next one!
Cheers, capedreamer. Some more drone shots will be in my next TR too:

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Another great report, as usual Daniel. ^
It's been too long since I've been on a plane
Many thanks, krazykanuck. You'll have to start planning your next getaway soon!
Originally Posted by adampenrith
loved your Belgium pics

adored the time we spent in Bruge last year - and now need to explore more of Belgium

we drove to Amsterdam and our cars GPS was set not to go on toll rds or motorways so before we worked that out - we had a interesting drive thru the country side

the GPS was in French and we could not work out how to change it

so we resorted to iphones
Thank you, adampenrith. I just stick with the iPhone for navigating these days too, although it must have been nice to take a detour through the countryside.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Very cool and great images as usual. One nitpicky thing, that's a LH 747-400

You made Frankfurt look way more interesting than I had imagined. I passed through FRA about a year ago when I was in Cologne but now it looks like I'll have to return at some point.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
I fly to Frankfurt quite frequently for work. Your photographs showed me a very interesting city!

Again, Brussels to me means work but you made me think that maybe it is worth a long weekend.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Very cool and great images as usual. One nitpicky thing, that's a LH 747-400

You made Frankfurt look way more interesting than I had imagined. I passed through FRA about a year ago when I was in Cologne but now it looks like I'll have to return at some point.
Thank you, ChiefNWA. Oops, my bad, didn't realise they were still flying the old birds. Frankfurt is definitely worth checking out.
Originally Posted by londonfog
I fly to Frankfurt quite frequently for work. Your photographs showed me a very interesting city!

Again, Brussels to me means work but you made me think that maybe it is worth a long weekend.
Many thanks, londonfog. I was tossing up just heading straight to Luxembourg City or to stay in Frankfurt, but glad I did though.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another fantastic trip report from you. It brought back a lot of memories of our family holiday to Belgium in 1986 and our visit to Bruges.

Wow at the pictures from the hot air balloon!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
As always great pics DanielW. Frankfurt is a city I've only connected through and never been too - you're making me want to explore....even more.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Madone59
As always great pics DanielW. Frankfurt is a city I've only connected through and never been too - you're making me want to explore....even more.
Definitively go for it^
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Another fantastic trip report from you. It brought back a lot of memories of our family holiday to Belgium in 1986 and our visit to Bruges.
Wow at the pictures from the hot air balloon!
Thank you, nequine. Yes, the hot air balloon was great fun. My first balloon ride back in Turkey was just over 30 minutes so the 1.5 hours on this ride was really great.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Many thanks, Madone59. I had only been to Berlin in Germany before so wanted to see some of Frankfurt. Really glad I did.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Definitively go for it^
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by DanielW
[center]
I had 55 minutes until my connecting train to Luxembourg City so headed out to do some sightseeing.

Straßenkreuzung.

Houses on the west side of the Rhine.

Floating jetty.

Riverboat heading south on the Rhine.

[...]
How did you take those aerial photos? Did I miss you mentioning a drone or something? On the Frankfurt post, I thought you'd taken the photos while landing and taking off, but I don't think you flew in or out of Koblenz or Luxembourg!

[edited to add]: I now see references to a drone. Nice :-)

Last edited by an_asker; Oct 6, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by DanielW
And our final beer of the night, Trappistes Rochefort 10. A Quadrupel beer at a whopping 11.3%. I didn't even realise beer was made this strong!
You really need to hang out with me more

Also...the new version isn't the 747-800 but the 747-8i. No clue why, that's just how it is
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Another trip report that reminds me I need to get a drone. I really liked Brugge , It spoiled me for the rest of Europe which seems so blah now. I stayed at Martin's Brugge as well. Perfect location right by the belfry.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by an_asker
How did you take those aerial photos? Did I miss you mentioning a drone or something? On the Frankfurt post, I thought you'd taken the photos while landing and taking off, but I don't think you flew in or out of Koblenz or Luxembourg!
[edited to add]: I now see references to a drone. Nice :-)
Yes, taken with my new Mavic.
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
You really need to hang out with me more

Also...the new version isn't the 747-800 but the 747-8i. No clue why, that's just how it is
My previous knowledge of Belgium beer was shamefully limited to just Stella Artois so this was definitely a bit of an eye-opener. I'm sure with your finely developed palate for brews around the world you must be halfway to having a PhD in beerology by now.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Another trip report that reminds me I need to get a drone. I really liked Brugge , It spoiled me for the rest of Europe which seems so blah now. I stayed at Martin's Brugge as well. Perfect location right by the belfry.
Many thanks, CDKing. Yes, Martin's Brugge was in a great location, and for a very reasonable price too.
an_asker likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:02 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Great report, Daniel, as always! ^

Just two minor points: the red Porsche is a 930, not a 964, and the McD's burger would have been a "Geschmacksvolltreffer" with a V instead of a C...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
After landing on the hot air balloon, how did you all get back to Brugges? It seems that the landing was arbitrary as opposed to a planned location.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJO
Great report, Daniel, as always! ^
Just two minor points: the red Porsche is a 930, not a 964, and the McD's burger would have been a "Geschmacksvolltreffer" with a V instead of a C...
Thanks, AJO, looks like I need to practice my German. Now fixed.
Originally Posted by gaobest
After landing on the hot air balloon, how did you all get back to Brugges? It seems that the landing was arbitrary as opposed to a planned location.
The pilot just called up a couple of taxi's/minivans to take us back to Bruges. Hot air balloons are at the mercy of the wind, so everything landing is unplanned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.