Wiki Posts
Search

Philippines via China Airlines A350 J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Philippines via China Airlines A350 J

BACKGROUND:

My fiancé and I recently went to the Philippines early in September. We booked Premium Economy tickets with the routing of SFO-TPE-MNL. We used miles we’ve accumulated to upgrade to Business Class.

I know most people try to avoid China Airlines since there are so many other great options to cross the Pacific. We’ve actually gained status from just 3 trans-Pacific flights so inevitably our loyalty is with China Airlines when traveling to the Philippines.

I have found service on China Airlines nice but not excellent. They are not very proactive, but this could be because the flight takes off at 1:40am Pacific time. The food on China Airlines is average at best. What really annoys me is that SFO-TPE is approximately a 12-hour flight, but they begin breakfast service 3 hours prior to arrival, YES, THREE HOURS prior to arrival.

Now I just sound like a negative Nancy… but there is good to China Airlines as well. They have a very new long haul fleet with their 777’s and their brand new A350’s. I have always been a Boeing fan but I think I actually like the A350 more. Our flight would be on a A350.

For this trip, we spent around 2 weeks in the Philippines with our time spent in Coron, Palawan for the first 4 nights. We also spent a few days in Boracay. We then spent a few days in Tagaytay for my cousins wedding. The remainder of the time was spent in Manila. My fiancé left 5 days before me. On a whim, I went to Hong Kong for 3 days, which was great.

I apologize for the lack of airplane pictures, but I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

TRAVEL DAY - SFO-TPE-MNL

Entrance into the lounges at SFO

Signs pointing towards the lounges

Inside the depressing China Airlines lounge at SFO. We immediately left the lounge and went to the Air France/KLM lounge which was better.

Bar at the China Airlines lounge with no one there…

Onboard seat 15K. I thought the Business Class cabin was actually very nice.

Water and storage space

Nice little table lamp

I think it’s a great looking cabin

Pol Roger to start

Lobster starter

Fiance wasn’t hungry so I got her protein

Dessert was the best part of the meal service

Some Johnny Walker Blue Label to wash it all down

Snack area set up in between Business Class and Premium Economy cabin

Cabin after the meal service

Oolong tea with Pineapple cake

Clean lavatory

controller or touch screen

Hot towel before breakfast service

I opted for the omelette

Mood lighting turned on 3 hours prior to arrival into TPE

Seat control

Overall, I think it was a very relaxing flight. The crew was friendly but wasn't over the top. They did address me by my last name. I don't know if it was because of a full cabin, but the meal service was very slow and they were't exactly great in refilling drinks. The seat was very comfortable and managed to get about 6 hours of sleep.

Entrance into the lounge at TPE

I apologize for the quality. I initially used my Canon G7X for photos but these were taken with my iPhone.

DESTINATION PHOTOS:

I didn’t take any more photos of the flight from that point on. Here’s a few photos from Coron, Palawan, Philippines.

A few photos from Boracay.

First to board the Cebu Pacific flight from Manila to Caticlan

Boracay

Transfer from plane to boat

Our boat awaits

I highly recommend the Coast in Boracay which is rated #1 on Tripadvisor

Fresh squid

Crispy Pata (pork knuckle)

Onwards to Hong Kong

CONCLUSION
Again, I apologize for the lack of airplane pictures. I initially didn’t plan on writing a trip report. It was a great 17 days in Asia. September is the end of the rainy season for the Philippines so I feel we were extremely lucky that it didn’t rain much while we were there. I think Philippines is a very underrated destination and I think it’s definitely worth a visit. Thanks for reading my trip report!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Nice report. Rare to see a CI report on here for longhaul business class. I use to fly CI a lot before my company switched over to BR for our corporate travel. If the early breakfast annoys you, make sure to tell the FA before you go to sleep. I usually ask to have breakfast 1.5 hours before landing and they usually don't have any issue with this. If you use a good sleep mask and earplugs you should be able to maximize your rest time this way.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks for the report. We are thinking of Palawan so can I ask your routing for that sector and transfer details?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles (most active), Asia Miles (most active), Kris Flyer, Flying Blue, Royal Orchid Plus
Some hardware changes spotted here. The champagne is now Pol Roger, new menu book, and the tableware are new too. They look very different compared with my previous J flight with them in May 2017 SIN-TPE vv.

I'm not sure if this is typical for their long haul flights, or maybe they did change it by now.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by MRTY
Some hardware changes spotted here. The champagne is now Pol Roger, new menu book, and the tableware are new too. They look very different compared with my previous J flight with them in May 2017 SIN-TPE vv.

I'm not sure if this is typical for their long haul flights, or maybe they did change it by now.
I recently had a roundtrip flying CI on both their new and old hardware. The new one was the same as the OP's and is quite nice, an above average reverse herringbone layout. The old product is terrible. Totally agree that the food could be better too.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
The hard product and lounges in Taipei look top notch.

Probably one of the last solid redemption's of Delta Skypesos left in the system.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Thanks for the report. We are thinking of Palawan so can I ask your routing for that sector and transfer details?
Thanks for reading my report! There are three main airports you can fly into Palawan. First is Puerto Princessa, then El Nido, and lastly Busuanga (Coron). I believe only Philippine Airlines, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, and Swift Air fly into Palawan. To get to any of those cities you'll need to connect via MNL. Leave yourself plenty of time for a connection because MNL is a nightmare. There are 4 terminals at MNL and they are basically different airports. I would leave at least 3 hours for connecting. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MRTY

I believe their Intra-Asia flight service is downgraded because we flew J from TPE-MNL and their menu and service is very different compared to the long haul service.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:47 am

were you there when the talipapa in boracay burned down (again)? big fire last last week when we were there.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
were you there when the talipapa in boracay burned down (again)? big fire last last week when we were there.
No, I was there early September. Where did you stay in Boracay?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
happy to see that they fly an A320 to caticlan now. what was the baggage weight limit?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
happy to see that they fly an A320 to caticlan now. what was the baggage weight limit?
Yes, no need to fly all the way into Kalibo unless you're coming from a different country. I believe its 30 kilo's.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
China Airlines look nice!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:10 pm

i wanted to go to the Phillipines but I read some travel warnings even for Palawan.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:54 pm

For your SFO-TPE sector, seems the J seat enclosure is not high enough and there isn't too much privacy for your pod. Even in Y, you won't be able to see so much of the folk ahead of you's head!

The dinner menu looks quite good. I've never had lobster in any of my CX J transpacific flights! But the presentation of the actual product leaves much more to be desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.