Wiki Posts
Search

The Taste of Gold: A Business Trip Odyssey Around the World

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by keepforgettingpassword
Great report; been lurking reading these over the last year but felt compelled to sign up to respond to your report.
Question: you did HBO yet you traveled for 14 days; safe to assume you had the hotels do your laundry but you were barely in a city for more than a day??
I fitted in 15 pairs of underwear and socks, 3 trousers, 3 t shirts, 3 shirts, 2 polo shirts, 3 sweaters (quite thin ones) a jacket, smart shoes and another polo shirt and trousers that I wore on day one.

I was in Montevideo for 3 nights and the day before checkout I sent what was required to the laundry, this hotel was a freebie! Hope the company who paid in Uruguay dont mind! :roll eyes: (was the only thing charged to the room) It was kind of the mid way point and it kept me going through to the end.

The biggest issue is storing the used underwear and pants as I have separate storage bags for them. One pair of trousers ripped in SCL lounge so that made a bit of room.

Ive learnt to try not overpack, I work by packing what you think you need and then take a third off and as of today Ive never been short.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manymany
Quite short compared to some reports on here!

I enjoyed reading it, I found it very interesting rather than just run of the mill trip report. Thanks and I hope the expense of the travel pays off with increased business later.

I've managed to do Lincoln to Heathrow in 2 hours - leaving at 3am though
I go on the train now unless I'm with someone else and make them drive!
I hope it does, just making sure I chase the leads up in South America. New Zealand should be more straight forward, just hoping our partners do the business!

Impressive, I live between Lincoln and Market Rasen.
I occasionally took the train in my earlier days of work travel but getting from Kings Cross to Paddington or however to LHR and potential nightmare delays where you have to just sit and wait. (remember once waiting on signal problem on the train outside Stevenage) just meant I always preferred the car. The roads are getting better I think so more often than not I make it in good time.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Really enjoyed the trip report - It's always interesting to read about the reasons why people travel (apart from vacation), and the mix of travel and business you wrote about was the perfect balance. Thank you!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
My seat companion is one of these Aussies, with ‘airplane’ blonde hair and a face that looks like someone is waving a stick with excrement under her nose, she’s with a section of others I bet they’ve been to the andes and feel culturally superior as they spent two weeks trekking, even though some poor sherpa local who's paid less than 300 USD a month carried their luggage.
Yes, and then they haggle the price down by US$ 2 per day, because, the locals apparently rip off the tourists. And yet, they fly up front.

Met the type - at least I can sleep at night.

By the way, an amazing TR!! It really kept me busy for a while since I have many hours here in the IST TK lounge.
Maybe I took the suggestion of grab a drink and snack too literally though....
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:19 pm

I wanted to go to Santa Cruz but I noticed you need a Yellow Fever shot. Maybe not if one is just visiting the city?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Yes, and then they haggle the price down by US$ 2 per day, because, the locals apparently rip off the tourists. And yet, they fly up front.

Met the type - at least I can sleep at night.

By the way, an amazing TR!! It really kept me busy for a while since I have many hours here in the IST TK lounge.
Maybe I took the suggestion of grab a drink and snack too literally though....
Thanks for the kind words!

Oh yes, they complain about the pitfalls of decadent capitalist system and then near extort the local for a better price, no one likes being over charged but they has to be a bit of leeway!

Well of all the lounges to spend a long layover, There are very very few if any I'd pick over TK's IST to spend it in!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I wanted to go to Santa Cruz but I noticed you need a Yellow Fever shot. Maybe not if one is just visiting the city?
tbh I didn't get a Yellow Fever vaccine and no one has brought it up until your post. Was never asked at any point by any authority. Funnily enough I don't remember any bites in Bolivia, I got a mosquito bite in Uruguay.

Not the safest/responsible thing to do I know but I've never been one for lots of travel vaccinations, I've tended to go on the notion that if an outbreak is bad i.e last Ebola it will be in the media and I just wouldn't go, otherwise I work on having full travel insurance.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:46 am

thanks for the info; i have a long trip coming up that requires suits for the most part and was trying to figure out how you avoided laundry for 2 weeks LOL
how goes the following up with your potential new customers from the southern hemisphere?

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
I fitted in 15 pairs of underwear and socks, 3 trousers, 3 t shirts, 3 shirts, 2 polo shirts, 3 sweaters (quite thin ones) a jacket, smart shoes and another polo shirt and trousers that I wore on day one.

I was in Montevideo for 3 nights and the day before checkout I sent what was required to the laundry, this hotel was a freebie! Hope the company who paid in Uruguay dont mind! :roll eyes: (was the only thing charged to the room) It was kind of the mid way point and it kept me going through to the end.

The biggest issue is storing the used underwear and pants as I have separate storage bags for them. One pair of trousers ripped in SCL lounge so that made a bit of room.

Ive learnt to try not overpack, I work by packing what you think you need and then take a third off and as of today Ive never been short.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Very much enjoyed your trip report, Leaping_Deere, and in particular your musings about your fellow travellers. Hoping you'll write another in the future.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Finally finished writing this! I hope the length doesn't put people off!
^^ What an epic trip! Thank you for sharing.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @Madone59 honoured to read encouragements from such an esteemed TR contributor!

Originally Posted by keepforgettingpassword
thanks for the info; i have a long trip coming up that requires suits for the most part and was trying to figure out how you avoided laundry for 2 weeks LOL
how goes the following up with your potential new customers from the southern hemisphere?
My Bolivian has placed an small order two days ago which is a good start. I'm compiling a proposal for him, which I won't be able to get over until end of the month.

In Uruguay one of the contacts I met emailed me yesterday for a quote which I replied too, the best lead from Uruguay is away on holiday until October 1st, so that gives me time to prepare my offer to him.

New Zealand is progressing, we're looking to launch the JV in February at an event, I need to make sure the container is on the water by the end of November latest to make it. so as it stands I will be going back down under to help with that launch event.

Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
Very much enjoyed your trip report, Leaping_Deere, and in particular your musings about your fellow travellers. Hoping you'll write another in the future.
Thank you Fellow passengers is something we've all thought about at one time on our trips and it's not something we see too often in the TR, so as I was writing I just kinda thought of it as my calling card.

I'm planning on a holiday but will be able to add a business trip in it, in January to southern Africa, so if it goes ahead I'll write one for that. Not quite a business-ey as the wife will be in tow but maybe more from a leisure perspective.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Peculiarly (although I’m sure someone on here will know why) CX use Air NZ lounge as opposed to Qantas’. With it being NZ’s flagship I went to the Koru. This lounge is without doubt my favourite I’ve been in. A good curry, a decent spread of seating, some nice views and exclusive quirky boarding announcements for lounge visitors. However the main reason it's my favourite is because its the first lounge I’ve ever been in that had cider in it! Cider (hard cider to some nations) is fairly unique refreshing beverage to the UK and some of its colonies and anywhere thats serves a good one gets my vote!
NZ/CX have an joint venture on AKL-HKG so hence the CX access to the NZ lounge. For passengers its an much better optional than the QF lounge that is crying out for an refurb.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Very nice. I am with you on pictures, but... your text 'creates' mental images.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Very much enjoyed this report. Thanks very much for taking the time to write!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze
One question if I may: you said you'd never pay for BA first or let an employer do so. How far does that extend? Would you pay 300 GBP for an upgrade again? Would you pay if it was a sale and the price was what we've seen for some trips (LON-ORD for ~2000GBP)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.