Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

The incredible Pan Am Experience at Air Hollywood

The incredible Pan Am Experience at Air Hollywood

Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Looks like neato fun. I thought I'd never see a post where SFO777 would admit that he spent his birthday in Pacoima, not at least willingly.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Excellent birthday choice - thanks for sharing
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
What a cool thing to do for a birthday!

Loved the memorabilia they had on show.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is really cool, thanks for sharing and happy (belated) birthday mate!!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wow what an awesome experience that must have been. I could have been there all day and have to be dragged from that place.

Question....13th photo from the top....Jon Taffer? LOL
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:05 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Thanks so much for this, SFO777!

Never flew PanAm in the good old days, but flew TWA Ambassador Class in L-1011s a lot in the 80s until they folded in 1991. Brought it all back!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: UA, HA
Splendid way to spend a birthday. Is the upper level business class on this 747?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Splendid way to spend a birthday. Is the upper level business class on this 747?
The upper level is one of three dining areas. You can choose the Upper Deck Lounge, Main Deck First Class, or the Clipper Cabin Dining Room. I think the only difference between the upper deck and the other two options in terms of the food is the caviar.

Here is a link to some photos from the Pan Am Experience website.

I did this back in February 2016 with fellow FlyerTalk member klashn. It wasn't full the night we were there, so they were able to "upgrade" everyone on the upper deck. ^

Even if you can't get tickets for the upper deck, I don't think there are any bad seats on this plane, and each section offers a unique experience.

Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:26 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Wow. Airline geek heaven ^^^ Brilliant work SFO777
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
On board the Pan Am Experience

We were welcomed on board by one of the many lovely Pan Am stewardesses on today's flight. With CEO Talaat Captan just behind her.

The nose of the 747. A far cry from today's international First Class seats but very comfy in its day. This is where I had really hoped to sit and would recommend to a couple, but tickets were sold out

The Upper Deck which was more of a party atmosphere and a lot less comfortable seats for a three hour visit.

The Pan Am experience is part restaurant, part theater, part comedy show with each of the "stewardesses" able to perform and connect with the passengers. And lots of hilarious announcements throughout the evening. And enjoyable 70's music although the speaker right over Mrs. SFO777's head made our seats not the best choice.

And the magazine cart...

... with vintage 1977 period magazines.

With the tobacco industry the biggest advertisers back then. LOL.

And Allegheny Airlines, flying as far west as Minneapolis and St. Louis!!

Drinks and nuts to start...

Our Purser presenting the menu.

Showtime, Pan Am style.

Cool hot towel service with dry ice.

Caviar service.

With chilled vodka.

Between courses, one of the many fashion shows with our stewardesses wearing Pan Am uniforms thru the ages.

And offering prop cigarettes. LOL.

During a pause in service, I popped downstairs to take some pics of the front cabin...

And Clipper Class, which looks pretty comfortable for Business.

And ready for the main show with Chateaubriand carved tableside.

Yes, perfectly prepared.

And another fashion show of vintage Pan Am uniforms with hilarious play-by-lay commentary over the speaker system.

Even a "Duty Free" cart...

... stocked with perfumes popular in that era...

By this time, Mrs. SFO777 had pretty much had enough of the Pan An experience especially in the uncomfortable lounge chairs. So we had a little fruit and cheese...

... and left before dessert as we had a 90 minute drive back to The OC.

For an airline geek, this is a really cool experience and I would highly recommend. For the non-geek, not so much. The meal drags on way too long especially in the uncomfortable lounge seats on the Upper Deck. And neither the food nor wines are that memorable. Mrs. SFO777 reached her limited about mid-way thru. If you are interested in visiting as a couple, I would recommend holding out for the Lower Deck First Class seats which are going to be far more comfortable.

For more information on this fun experience, visit panamexperience.com.

And for more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com where I've posted the onboard and dinner installment.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Looks like neato fun. I thought I'd never see a post where SFO777 would admit that he spent his birthday in Pacoima, not at least willingly.
LOL. I suspect that will be the last time I spend my birthday, or any other day, in Pacoima.

Originally Posted by lb8001
Excellent birthday choice - thanks for sharing
Thank you lb8001.

Originally Posted by nequine
What a cool thing to do for a birthday!
Loved the memorabilia they had on show.
Originally Posted by Madone59
This is really cool, thanks for sharing and happy (belated) birthday mate!!
Thanks very much nequine and Madone59.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Wow what an awesome experience that must have been. I could have been there all day and have to be dragged from that place.
Question....13th photo from the top....Jon Taffer? LOL
Thanks enviroian. I had to google the guy to even know who he is. Hard to tell except they are both older bald guys.

Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks so much for this, SFO777!
Never flew PanAm in the good old days, but flew TWA Ambassador Class in L-1011s a lot in the 80s until they folded in 1991. Brought it all back!
Thank you 1P. It brought back a lot of memories.

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Thanks TheTakeOffRush. At that time, the upper deck was the First Class Lounge.

Originally Posted by Majuki
The upper level is one of three dining areas. You can choose the Upper Deck Lounge, Main Deck First Class, or the Clipper Cabin Dining Room. I think the only difference between the upper deck and the other two options in terms of the food is the caviar.
Even if you can't get tickets for the upper deck, I don't think there are any bad seats on this plane, and each section offers a unique experience.
Thank you Majuki. Looks like you had a great time as well. Indeed, the only difference I could see from the menu was the caviar service in the Upper Deck.

Originally Posted by NoY
Wow. Airline geek heaven ^^^ Brilliant “work” SFO777
Thanks very much NoY.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
It looked a fantastic thing to do!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO 777 A well deserved Birthday celebration.

Out of all your TRs, this one touched many a memory chords !
My dad in Mumbai after the private airlines were nationalized in India was a premier Travel Agent for PanAM. Met even Najeeb Halaby.
Among many keepsakes we most waited for the annual calendars with the most beautiful photos of various locations around the world. Neighbors used to satrt asking for these by November !
The poster of Rio you showed was my most favorite so really took me back to my childhood.
We also met some of the PanAm stewardesses. Imagine a teenager meeting these gorgeous creatures...many fantasies later did meet them when I flew PanAm in my later life.
Thank you.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO777
For an airline geek, this is a really cool experience and I would highly recommend. For the non-geek, not so much.
I'd agree. I think I only remember seeing one reluctant companion the night we were there. Mrs. Majuki calls this airline cosplay
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the report and pictures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.