Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A380 First Class Marathon... 48 hours of Qatar, Emirates and Etihad

A380 First Class Marathon... 48 hours of Qatar, Emirates and Etihad

Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SFO777
The gorgeous Al Mourjan Lounge is still where is was three years ago.

This young woman could have simply told you she didn't appreciate her picture being taken rather than photobombing it by letting you know you are numro un .
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
This young woman could have simply told you she didn't appreciate her picture being taken rather than photobombing it by letting you know you are numro un .
Hahahahaha! Great catch! Didn't even notice that.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Hahahahaha! Great catch! Didn't even notice that.
LOL. That is too funny. I hadn't noticed that before. But it doesn't surprise me in the least. Seems like there's always one on every trip.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Kind of not surprised to hear that, and the food at Doha looks very tempting indeed. I like your analogy of it being like a museum but without the art, sums it up well I thought! ^
Thanks nequine.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
The starter in the Dubai lounge looks like Kebbe (Syrian / Lebanese style). However the Iraqi Kebbe is different (more time consuming to make) and also is delicious but not fried. My aunt used to make both and I regret I never took the recipes. I wonder whether less people are chosing to fly on Qatar due to the boycotts. Anyway clearly no food shortage.
Thank you Bretteee. I'm sure that the traffic is down since they can't fly to a number of Gulf States and Egypt.

Originally Posted by brg
Great report with wonderful pictures.
Thanks
Thanks very much brg.

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
I always think F reflects what an airline wants to be at its best. Lovely to see them succeed in making something worth desiring! Great TR [again!].
Totally agree. Thank you TheTakeOffRush.

Originally Posted by 1P
Away from FT for two weeks, and so am late to another excellent TR from SFO777. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into bringing these alive for all of us!
On a side note, "Le G" from Chteau Guiraud (your UA transatl flight) is very acceptable for a business class offering (but not for F of course). People tend to think that dry whites from Sauternes are inferior, but actually some of them are pretty good, like this one, which is also organic. Just visited the vineyard the other day to buy another case..... (I never take any notice of Robert Parker, BTW! Better to listen to the sommelier of one of the top London restaurants....)
Looking forward to the rest of your trip!
Thanks so much 1P, and for the persecutive on Le G. Should have tried it although I'm always wary about any wine offered on a UA flight.

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Al Safwa is a large and seemingly empty space, but I actually like the lounge a lot. Even when 'busy' it never feels full. The catering could be better, but that is down to the silly no cooking rule in the airport.
The bar is very good and I'm advised by friends, because I have not needed to use them, that the sleeping rooms are very comfortable.
Thank you VH-RMD. Didn't realize that there was a no cooking rule. Despite that, the food was pretty darn good.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wow, I wished I had your eyey
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Al Safwa First Class Lounge at DOH

There is also a convenient and secure check-room behind the inside First customer service counter, where we left our carry-ons during our visit.
EMIRATES. are you paying attention ??????

What a beautiful facility.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:36 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Were there no other people in the F lounge?!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: M&M FT, IHG Gold, SPG Gold, Discovery Platinum, Choicehotels Gold, Norwegian reward
Thank you for another great trip-report!
Very enjoyable reading.
While I personally never would consider to fly or visit any of the middle-eastern airlines/places seen in your fantastic trip, I am 100% sure you had a pleasant experience!

Not too often I log into the Forum, but then again, great to read reports like this! Thanks ^

All best
TimeFlyer
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: skywards
you are lucky to try the best first classes in the world in my opinion.
I think Etihad has the best first class and Al safwa lounge is the best and most luxurious lounge i ever been to, it is even better than a lot of 5 stars hotels.

thank you for sharing your experience
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Qatar A380 First Class to Guangzhou

Our flight was delayed for a half an hour and we headed out to our Gate B3 just a little after 2am.

Doha-Guangzhou
Qatar QR 874
A380-800
2:20a-3:30p (sked)
2:55a-3:40p
August 22, 2017
Suite 2A

We arrived at B3 to find a long queue for the main cabin.

Once we identified ourselves as First Class, we were immediately welcome to go upstairs to the First and Business boarding area, and then immediately on board.

Nice night-time cabin lighting of the elegant First Class cabin which we had all to ourselves.

And yet another glass of champagne, tonight served by our personable Flight Attendant Rita.

The wine list was the same as CDG-DOH. Tonight's menu.

Rita had an easy flight tonight as we both slept most of the way to Guangzhou.

My bed in 2E. Sorry I forgot to take a pic when it was nicely made.

For breakfast, I chose Chicken congee...

...which was delicious.

Our approach to Guangzhou.

Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From our arrival gate, it was a 5 minute walk to customs and immigration.

Where we were for a good half hour if not more. We took advantage of the 24/72 hour visa-free transit which is available in many Chinese cities including Guangzhou. And just as FlyetTalk's Short hair Francis predicted, our short stay prompted a few questions. We were first told that we didn't have enough time (less the 8 hours) to qualify. Then shuttled off to a secondary area where we waited for 30 minutes while our request was processed. We chatted with another westerner who had lived in Guangzhou and was back visiting friends, and reassured us that this was just part of the bureaucratic paper-pushing Chinese dog and pony show. Sure enough, a few minutes later, we were approved to enter the country.

We had pre-arranged for a local private guide (highly rated on Trip Advisor) to meet us, show us Guangzhou and drop us back at the airport later that night. Xaq was waiting for us with a name sign and we exited the terminal and our driver "Peter" pulled up a short time later.

By this time, it was nearly 5:30pm and we're headed off for the city center of Guangzhou.

In rush hour, it took more than an hour. Given our later arrival and visa issues, we were at least 90 minutes behind schedule. So we decided to skip the previously planned Six Banyan Temple, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall and Pearl River cruise and go right to dinner at a local Cantonese restaurant that Xaq has suggested.

Xaq ordered for the table and we thoroughly enjoyed his selections.

Rain from the approaching typhoon had picked up during dinner as we found Peter and headed for a nightime tour of new Guangzhou.

Despite the off and on rain, we got out at the new Guangzhou Library for our walking tour of impressive new Guangzhou.

In the distance, iconic Canton Tower.

We took the subway for the 1 stop ride under the Pearl River to Canton Tower.

And a look back across the Pearl River.

At the base of the Canton Tower, we met Peter for the 70 minute drive back to the airport.

With a population of 13 milliion, Guangzhou is the 3rd largest city in China. Obviously, five hours is way too short to really do it justice.
MrGroover likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 7, 2017 at 4:03 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Wow, I wished I had your eyes
LOL. Me too, I didn't even notice. Here's a close up and indeed, I think she was flipping me off.

Originally Posted by Madone59
EMIRATES. are you paying attention What a beautiful facility.
Thanks Madone59.

Originally Posted by TBD
Were there no other people in the F lounge?!
There were a few but the place is so huge that I doubt it feels very crowded at any time.

Originally Posted by TimeFlyer
Thank you for another great trip-report!
Very enjoyable reading. While I personally never would consider to fly or visit any of the middle-eastern airlines/places seen in your fantastic trip, I am 100% sure you had a pleasant experience!
Not too often I log into the Forum, but then again, great to read reports like this! Thanks ^
All best
TimeFlyer
Thank you very much TimeFlyer for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by ek201
you are lucky to try the best first classes in the world in my opinion. I think Etihad has the best first class and Al safwa lounge is the best and most luxurious lounge i ever been to, it is even better than a lot of 5 stars hotels. thank you for sharing your experience
Thanks ek201. Indeed, it was a great experience to try all three First Class products. In the Etihad is hard to beat as is the Al Safwa lounge on the ground.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:12 pm

I had an opportunity for QR F CDG-DOH and ET F AUH-JFK last October. If I ever describe the trip to someone, I'll have to reference your excellent lounge and plane pics.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:35 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the report!

That UA club...is that the new one they built say a year or so ago that upon opening it was immediately determined it was way too small?

When I was with UA I would frequent the club that is across the way from the San Francisco Soup Company but your pics don't resemble that club.
There are three UA Clubs in SFO: one in T3 by the E concourse (the 60 gates) (that's the new one you're referring to), one in the middle of the F concourse (the 80 gates), and immediately to the right of TSA in the International G concourse (that's where SFO777 was). There's also the Centurion in T3 near gate 73 next to the connector to the International G gates.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:09 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Al Safwa is a large and seemingly empty space, but I actually like the lounge a lot. Even when 'busy' it never feels full.

The catering could be better, but that is down to the silly no cooking rule in the airport.

The bar is very good and I'm advised by friends, because I have not needed to use them, that the sleeping rooms are very comfortable.
Food was okay, sleeping rooms are good but really hard to get. They don't have enough. The bartender was useless, not knowing how to make a decent cocktail. Entire lounge felt empty and sterile. The fountain is just a plastic tube, a bit of a let down.

I wasn't super impressed with my visit to the Al Safwa lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.