Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Collecting Continents: Circle of the World, but not RTW

Collecting Continents: Circle of the World, but not RTW

Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
If your head hit the car please ensure you go see a doctor immediately.

The last thing you need is a brain aneurysm.

Silent killer that could happen days/weeks/month after head trauma.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I flew up onto the hood of the car (thank God for being tall - any shorter I might have gone under).
That sounds acrobatic! In the end I guess you were really lucky. Did you here anything about it later?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by tennislover9
If your head hit the car please ensure you go see a doctor immediately.

The last thing you need is a brain aneurysm.

Silent killer that could happen days/weeks/month after head trauma.
Agreed.

Also I would have gone to the hospital. Internal injuries could be undiganosed and cause damage.

Good luck to the OP.
Glensea likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Good grief!!! That is one helluva dent - hope that you are all okay. But, what is the red on the car? You said no breaks, blood or anything like that.
I'm guessing, and hoping, that it is just the reflection of what Jason was wearing at the time.

Stay strong big man, and make the right decision - with your head - even if it is a little bruised.
Glensea likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Really sorry to hear about this abrupt and most unpleasant end of your journey, Jason. All the best for your trip back home and do get that thorough medical check-up just to be on the safe side. Hopefully this whole episode will be nothing more than a bad memory in a few weeks time.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:08 am

I hope you are feeling a bit better!

I really should (maybe all of us should) have a better understanding of all of the coverages afforded to us by employers, credit cards, etc. I had a close call (similar circumstances) in Matera (Italy) a few years ago. While not injured, it made me think about what I would have done if I was injured - language barrier, insurance, etc. Of course I never followed up with those thoughts.

Safe travels for all of your trips!

Last edited by lamphs; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:14 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:46 am

Aie - I do hope you'll be okay Jason and the recovery comes quickly. Take it slow and easy regardless of what you do. Starbucks may help .
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:45 pm

The next trip report I hope to hear from you is two-part: You've had a medical check-up and you're safely home -- in whichever order those two things happen.

The rule of thumb in this Arlington household is to remember that the cost of not seeing a doctor eventually may exceed the cost of seeing a doctor.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
Jason,
Hope you are ok! I urge you to see a competent doctor as soon as possible.
Safe journeys!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Glensea
The next trip report I hope to hear from you is two-part: You've had a medical check-up and you're safely home -- in whichever order those two things happen.

The rule of thumb in this Arlington household is to remember that the cost of not seeing a doctor eventually may exceed the cost of seeing a doctor.
Forgive me as I am not familiar with US healthcare, but doesn't your employer provide you with insurance so there is no direct cost to seeing a doctor?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
not to be sarcastic but i think getting almost run over is too much excitement for now. hope you are doing well and you are back on your feet soon.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Calchas
Forgive me as I am not familiar with US healthcare, but doesn't your employer provide you with insurance so there is no direct cost to seeing a doctor?
In most US healthcare plans there is this thing called a deductible, anywhere between $1500 and $10,000 er year. That comes out of your own pocket (in addition to the monthly premiums) before the insurance kicks in.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Thanks to all for the good wishes. I have enough medical training I was certain I didn't need a doctor (at least immediately) which is why I passed. No head contact, and yes, the red on the car is a reflection of the right red shirt I was wearing.

Sorry to miss the reponses immediately. I missed the initial notice so didn't check for a few days. I was too busy enjoying São Paulo and climbing Lions Head in Cape Town!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Sorry to miss the reponses immediately. I missed the initial notice so didn't check for a few days. I was too busy enjoying São Paulo and climbing Lions Head in Cape Town!
^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:33 am

Great to hear you're on the mend! And, selfishly, I'm really looking forward to this trip report, so pleased that you've pushed on.

I hope the days have gotten easier and you're really able to enjoy the trip!
ironmanjt likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.