Wiki Posts
Search

Sorry About That...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
And just in case the naysayers out there thought present day, modern teenagers really don't talk like the way I have been describing, have a look at the screen shot below of my iChat thing/window on my laptop.

It was a real conversation I had with The Small One a few hours ago.

I will translate for you.

"boi" is the word they use for their fathers.
"YeeYee" means yes. Wouldn't it then just be as easy to say that then

And the rest. Well I have no idea.

Fedex just called and told me that my hallowed piece of plastic is going to be here by 11am. A drop of alcohol has not passed my lips for at least 12-hrs so I am well ready for a decent drink at the CX lounge...
Attached Images  
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
Good God. My little brother (17) is tame compared to eightblack Jr! I'm sure my folks would bonk him on the head if he ever sent a message like that. Soundly. You have my sympathies, eightblack!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Goading your teenage son by joking that he's gay? Then gleefully retelling the "insult" to strangers online, some of whom are in fact gay?

Having read eightblack from the beginning I'm certain this isn't what he intended, although it's how it came across.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:41 pm

I lost it though at "yeeyee boi". LOL
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I'm only 20, but man teenagers have really changed in the year I haven't been one
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'm only 20, but man teenagers have really changed in the year I haven't been one
At least they're using words, and not just emojis!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:14 am

Eightblack, simply stunning how you can captivate readers with your wit, humor and hard-hitting satire. Incredible typemanship! If I had even half the flair for writing as well as you do, I would do nothing else but write.
You bring joy to so many readers with your words, writing should at the very least be your CSR activity!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:22 am

If you have a long layover at LAX, don't forget that you can access the Qantas F lounge to help pass the time.

Plus. there's a new airside walkway between the Tom Bradley terminal and AA domestic gates, so you don't have to clear security again.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Had to look up those terms. Oh dear, i guess your little one doesnt hold you in high regards.....
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boi
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:56 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by miuk
Had to look up those terms. Oh dear, i guess your little one doesnt hold you in high regards.....
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boi
That's not what I think of when I read boi...

eightblack should ask the friends he's staying with what it means to them
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:55 pm

I'm guessing your daughter is dismayed that you attempt to communicate with her at all, must less via sms/text, and is doing her best to discourage you by being as incomprehensible as possible.

You should attempt revenge with ambiguous emoji's. I know it weirds me out when my parents text and get really thrown when they use emojis. Enough that I walk about in a confused daze for a few minutes wondering what the world has come to. Friends also have a similar reaction to their parents who text with emoji's. Unfortunately, we are too old to pull off "this is what kids these days speak like" trick and are forced to accept the multitude of WhatsApp/Line/WeChat melting pot group conversations of aunts, uncles, and cousins. Besides, they all paid a lot for our college educations.
Parterre likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: SPG, Etihad Guest, EK Skyawards, Thai ROP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Actually, in some countries, there may be a reason to this. There are some types of flies (in countries like Pakistan or Senegal), who lay their eggs on humid and warm surfaces, such as laundry drying outside. By ironing this laundry, the eggs are killed before you wear the dried garments.

(And yes, I've personally experienced the impact of such larvae ... it's painful).

GenevaFlyer

We called them Putsi flies in Northern Rhodesia.... basically a type of blow fly... and yes, they do hurt!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:57 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by eightblack

“Do you want me to help you?”
“Help me how?”
“I can fly to Hong Kong with your green card”
“Really”
“Sure”
“Have you got time?” I said with just a hint of sarcasm
“Yes, I’ve cleared my schedule”
“You have a schedule?”
“Yes, I’m a busy man”
“I’m sure you are”
“And hypothetically speaking, how much might this courier run cost me?”
“How about $500”
“Are you insane!”
“Yes, and via NRT” he said matter of factly
“Really, you want to fly to HKG via NRT”
“Yes, that’s all that’s available in J. I checked”
“So let me get this straight, I have to pull a J class award ticket for you to HKG via NRT, and then fork out $500 in cash, plus pay for the $2500 worth of food you will consume on the way here to rescue me”
“That’s about it”
“You’re a bigger idiot than me”

You will never need a DNA test to prove he's your son.

Am loving the TR and look forward to hearing if you ever get home. (Or even want to. )
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Awesome news, now to find the time to read one of the great trip report writers.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Goading your teenage son by joking that he's gay? Then gleefully retelling the "insult" to strangers online, some of whom are in fact gay?

Having read eightblack from the beginning I'm certain this isn't what he intended, although it's how it came across.

I have known and read all of Eightblacks work for year, and had some dealings with him as a moderator - there is nothing homophobic about Eightblack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.