Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

An unusual hotel in Antigua

Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

“Antigua (pronounced An-tee'ga), an Island located located in the middle of the Leeward Islands in the Eastern Caribbean.”
Oh, another one of the Lesser Antilles!

We just can’t resist a Sale. And BA Holidays had one going in early May. At 1540 on the 5th, my beloved wife (She, who Explores Hotels) e-mailed me from her iPad in another room highlighting a possible destination of interest. At 1802, we were ticketed … we did some quick research on the web between those two events! Well, it was going to be a long time between PHX in March and OGG in August, so a bit of gap-filling and TP-earning made a lot of sense [although possibly not to ‘normal’ people!]. OK, for us this is almost a ‘direct flight’, but whatever … with the JER sectors, a useful 360 TP each to start a new BAEC Membership Year as Golds, and we WILL renew by the time that year is over

So, it’s JER-LGW-ANU in BA’s slightly downmarket LGW CE/CW, and 7 nights All-Inclusive at COCOS Hotel, airport transfers included, for GBP 5,181.92 … which sounds a lot for a garden shed with an outside shower on a rocky headland above a beach, but let’s give it a try!

Incidentally, the hotel’s rack rate would have been Ł3.7k for our ‘cheapest’ accommodation, and the flights are currently [7 Jun] Ł5.2k for the 2 of us. I guess Ł9k of flight and AI hotel for Ł5.2k makes that a BA Holidays steal

One pleasant aspect was that there are no ground transfers in UK required. Fly JER-LGW, bus to Terminal South, enter UK, have a quick kerbside cigarette, exit UK through Security and get on the flight to ANU. And no great rush at LGW, with 2h20m between arriving and departing, so there’s time to grab a bite of breakfast in the new FLounge. Simples … hopefully!

Bitten by BA.com Bugs. Seat selection was a complete PITA, as Manage My Booking (MMB) was unhelpfully only showing a First Class cabin for both l/h sectors [but ‘unavailable’], whilst we were in Club World. What? Having contacted both the BA Gold line and the Social Media Team on Twitter, we eventually managed to get ourselves allocated something resembling decent seats for both sectors. MMB at least showed the new seats in text form, albeit still with only the F cabin showing! Several others on FT had the same problem. On the day before OLCI, the ‘unavailable’ F cabin was now showing as available! What, again? Do we play the BA Lottery, and try to select nice seats in the F cabin [apparently now being used as J], or just accept what we’ve got? We called the Gold Line, and she couldn't tell us why, or if we could book it, and said she would call back [which she didn't]. We chose the easy route - the potential risk of BA changing its mind/aircraft and re-allocating us rubbish seats was too great. Anyway, when it came to OLCI, we didn't get a seating map at all ... just an image of our 2 seats!

That hurdle having been half-crossed, it was time to finish packing, consign The Cat (‘Storm’) to her cattery for a week, and have an early night.

Wed 14 Jun 17
BA2767, A319, 0705 JER-LGW 0810, CE seats 4A/C

Yeuch. Taxi at 0530 meant getting up at an unseemly hour, with the prospect of a long day ahead. Oh, the suffering and woe one has to experience when enjoying premium travel to the Caribbean

Deserted roads meant we were at JER airport just as the doors were being unlocked at 0545, where our cases were duly dropped and tagged through to ANU. By 0600 we were in the Lounge having restorative coffee and pastries. Boarding was called in the Lounge, from whence we proceeded to Gate 10 … where we (CE and status pax) sat in a holding lounge for a while. No idea where the rest of the pax were, but when we were released into the wild it seemed they had boarded via the rear steps from somewhere else! We experienced the novelty of being back in Row 4 instead of our preferred Row 2 [the consequence of a relatively late booking] as we pushed back on the dot of 0705 for the short hop to LGW.

A nice BA hot breakfast filled the time, and our stomachs, until our arrival at LGW at 0745. As is now the norm for Domestic and ‘Common Travel Area’ at LGW (South), we were bussed to the Terminal where we made our way upstairs, past the Reclaim belt and into the utterly untidy and slightly confusing land-side environment … from whence, at 0800, we inevitably made our way out to the Smoking Zone outside the building to build up our nicotine levels for the journey ahead

Wed 14 Jun 17
BA2157, B777-200, 1030 LGW-ANU 1400, CW seats 11J/K

We re-entered the Terminal around 0830, and entered the ‘Premium Gatwick’ priority Security lanes … to find them deserted apart from the friendly and helpful staff! That made for a nice start, after which we braved the chaos of World Duty Free downstairs before heading to the BA Lounge complex on the upper floor. Only one lift was operating, which made life slightly complicated, but soon we were admiring the colourful array of tail fins on the ramp outside.

Before long, Gate 23 was declared … at the far end of that lonnnggg Pier. And so we set off for the hike. On arriving at the Gate, I asked the Ground Agent if the First cabin was actually being used today … he replied “No”. OK, good job we didn’t try to use it, then.

Eventually the ‘priority boarders’ were called, and we established Base Camp in 11J/K. Looking around, the CW cabin seemed rather empty, and a quick look down the aisle proved that the Ground Agent had lied … there were pax in the F cabin. Now I fully accept that seating is a complex and often emotive topic here, but what really gets me going is being lied to. Unless the Gate Agent was ignorant about what was happening with the aircraft he was boarding, which is equally unforgivable. [/rant]

A quick chat with the charming CC on our aisle enabled us to move to 15A/B, thus allowing iWife unobstructed aisle access from her window seat … although we then realised that’s the seat with the missing window! Whatever! The CC later explained that 9/10 pax had been moved into F, but had no explanation of why … I later counted 10 empty seats in J. Anyway, I can’t complain: we got what we paid for, and ended up with better seats than those we had selected blindly, due to ba.com’s failings, in the first instance.

It was also clear that G-VIIY, our ‘jet for the day’, needed a respray on some of the engine cowlings. Not impressive, but I assume the internal bits and pieces are better cared for

So, on with the trip and, of course, the “tempting menus”. We pre-ordered the “Chicken Curry”, having met “BA Beef” in various iterations far too often

Lunch … have a menu.

I will attempt to pass on the anticipated comment about Bread Plates, apart from noting that we got one in CE on the JER-LGW leg

Anyway, the Salmon starter was very tasty … and the accompanying wine (Chablis 2014, Domaine Louis Moreau) managed to stay on the sloping table

The Chicken Curry was OK too, in a sort of ‘pour some Curry sauce over the chicken breast’ way. Inevitably a bit dry

The Cheese Plate was the culinary highlight! And with better crackers than we had on our first First

At this point, being suitably fed and watered [by BA’s standards] I think I watched a film on the IFE … I have a recollection of indistinct imagery and some noises in my headset. And then I grabbed some sleep, which was needed after the early start to the day. And then it was ‘Time for Tea’.

The sandwiches were largely left unfinished, after a taste of each, despite them being ‘just’ in date However, the “Scones with Clotted Cream and Strawberry Jam” were fine [with the additions applied in the right order]. And the “Dundee round and salted caramel profiterole” were severely tasty, giving a much-needed sugar rush.

Oh, we’re approaching Antigua, in the shape of V. C. Bird International Airport. It was an interesting approach, on a breezy day. Whether it’s a Windward or a Leeward island is irrelevant … the Flight Deck were working hard on final approach, and after we had thumped onto the runway one reason was clear: the runway is a bit buried in a valley, which undoubtedly helps to generate turbulence! However, the FD earned their pay [as did the CC], and we parked at the new (2015) Terminal where the airbridge was attached to G-VIIY … at Door 1L only. And so we disembarked though the F cabin <whimper> and entered ANU airport. Which is NICE. A short stroll from Gate 3 [?] to the escalator down to Immigration, where we were serenaded by someone playing Steelpan … which was also NICE. The Holiday Mood swept over us.

The Immigration Hall was virtually empty, apart from those people who had got into F and some faster J pax We only waited a few minutes before our Passports acquired a new/different stamp, after turning in our Immigration Card (remember the old white US I-94?) and being given the outbound stub and our Customs Declaration … and so to Reclaim, where our 2 cases instantly arrived on the belt. Did they know who we were?
Customs was almost a breeze, apart from being asked “What’s in your cases?”. iWife replied “Clothes?”, at which point we were again released into a new country.

Ground Transportation. Having booked with BA Holidays, we already had our ‘free’ Transfer Vouchers. And there, in the Arrivals area, is a Rep of our Transfer company … who points us across the road, still under a canopy, to a long row of desks in the open air, and a long row of waiting minibuses/people-carriers. There our Transfer people took my vouchers, and pointed us to Rodney, who would be our driver. He spent some time waiting for another couple, which gave us the chance to hop across the road for a quick ciggie, and then Rodney gave up waiting … and then had a twinge of conscience. Yes, here is the other couple [obviously from the back of the aircraft ] and off we go to the west coast of the island.

No disrespect to Antigua, it’s a small island. Well, twice the size of Jersey, but still small. And the roads are … interesting. Narrow, congested, poorly surfaced and generally “I would NOT want to rent a car here”. Our journey from the Airport to our corner of the Island took almost an hour for the 10 miles or so But finally, after dropping off the other couple at a hotel nearby, we had arrived at ...
**Cocos Hotel - An All Inclusive Antigua Resort For Couples & Adults Only**

Last edited by T8191; Jan 18, 2020 at 4:09 am Reason: Restore images
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Part the Next … Oh, this is rather nice!

What have we booked? An All-Inclusive Garden Shed on a rocky outcrop by the sea? To some extent, that’s true. It’s all a bit “Rustic Chic”, with the emphasis on “Rustic” … or “Rusty”. Thousands of feet of 4x2 and 6x6 timber has been devoted to creating this unusual environment. For those of you who need marble floors, gold taps and all the frills … this is not for YOU. This is a quirky, but surprisingly comfortable, “Chill City” … no, make that “Village”, as they only have 30 Cottages.

By the time we had arrived, checked in, and all that [Rum Punch and Cold Towel included, and our cases taken up the hill to our Cottage] it was getting a bit dark. So a quick 1-course meal in the Restaurant, another Rum Punch for me, shower, unpack, and after a quick ciggie on our veranda … SLEEEEP. After getting up at 0430, I think that was a 22-hour day. Oh, bug-grit … there’s a Disco or something further along the bay, which didn’t stop until 2300 local [at least they have a Law banning outdoor music after 2300]. Make that a 24-hour day

We’ll see what it looks like in daylight the morning

This place is nice, and pleasantly weird. We’re still trying to work out where it is trying to sit in the marketplace. OK, it’s ‘cute’ and has a nice beach [2 beaches actually, although access to the southern one requires climbing the hill and then down again]. Our cottage is comfortable and adequately equipped, with a large outside deck overlooking the beach and the pool. Two comfy chairs, a side table and a hammock make it a nice 'outdoor room'. The various Bar/Lounge areas are also comfortable, as are the multi-level restaurant areas, again in the ‘Rustic Chic’ style. The food is nice, if unspectacular: just good, honest, cooking … and being all-inclusive, I guess you could eat and drink yourself to death All the staff are absolutely delightful: possibly the friendliest we’ve ever encountered anywhere. They are a major asset! But … some of it is quite shabby: the maintenance requirements of a site like this are substantial, and we didn’t get the feeling that they’re really keeping on top of that. With rates ranging from USD 500 - 1000 per day, we do vaguely wonder whether it really offers value.

However, perhaps I’m over-analysing things? Have a look and see what you think! We had ended up booked into the lowest category of Cottage, which actually suited us very nicely as we didn’t have to climb the steep hill to the “Sunset” Cottages … we’ve seen enough Caribbean sunsets, and would prefer to minimise the hill-climbing!

This image from Google may clarify the set-up a bit ...

Up the hill to Reception …

The main [covered] Lounge deck and Bar …

... needing a bit of maintenance, though! Some of the furniture and furnishings need a bit of TLC!

More Lounge decks, with the Restaurant decks in the background …

The main Restaurant deck …

There are a few feral cats who have wisely made their home near a constant supply of food provided by patrons saying “aaah, kittens!” …

Our Cottage, #9 , was perched on stilts on the hillside overlooking both the pool and the beach. Ours is the right-hand one here …

A surprisingly enjoyable outdoor shower once you get used to the idea of standing outside naked! … there’s another one in the conventional bathroom.

The beach is wide and clean, with soft white sand and clear, warm, blue water, and a generous provision of sun-loungers and umbrellas. As with St. Lucia, the beach is public territory although seemingly almost unused by the general population. There are a few hawkers, who wear licence tags, trying to sell tours, snorkelling and boat trips: we declined politely, and weren’t pestered. Anyway, such things are best organised through Reception, if that’s your thing.

The hotel has a Bar on the Beach, also providing Waiter Service

I guess a few pictures of the food would be appropriate … and everything is a la carte: No Buffet here!!

Breakfast - Cocos Breakfast Sandwich = Egg, Cheese and Sauteed Spinach w/Onions [and some Bacon on the side, please] …

Roast Duck for Lunch … Rice was the universal accompanying starch item.

Butterfish for Dinner … which was a new one on me, but simply delicious …

We did venture out once, taking a 15 minute walk along the beach, through the Jolly Beach Resort (a Caribbean version of Butlins, and the source of the noise on the first couple of nights!) to the local Supermarket and around Jolly Harbour where some rich people keep their boats

Last edited by T8191; Jan 18, 2020 at 4:57 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Heading Home.

After a week we are ‘well chill’ and rather reluctant to leave. The Travel Gods smiled upon us at OLCI time, as the hotel’s Internet Server decided to work for a while (Internet was extremely unreliable, and the hotel’s WiFi didn’t reach our Cottage). Having previously selected 12A/B for the return, we were not surprised to find that BA had changed the aircraft again [this time to a 777-200ER, 40J, G-VIIP], moving our seats in the process. Aaargggh! Fortunately we were able to move ourselves during OLCI to 4J/K, the rear bulkhead in the forward J cabin, thus ensuring aisle access for My Lady.

Our ground transfer is already arranged, with the pick-up 3 hours before our scheduled flight departure. We enjoyed the benefit of a late check-out: with the transfer at 1600, that was ‘no problem’, so we packed and enjoyed a last leisurely lunch having asked Reception to convey our cases to wherever they needed to be. With fond farewells to several of the staff, we made our way down to the ‘bus shelter’ by the car park, where sure enough our minibus was waiting. And off we go, on the slow journey back to the airport. As I noted earlier, Antigua doesn’t do roads terribly well. Often narrow, with numerous potholes, and even the ‘good bits’ are very bumpy. Basically, regardless of speed limits, 20-30mph is about the best you can do. Anyway, we made it safely to the shiny Terminal, and proceeded to Bag Drop (BA was Desks 6-12, IIRC). As we waited for service in the ‘priority’ line, another Agent opened a desk and waved us over. What a charming lady! We were bag-tagged and issued with our boarding passes through to JER, and given our Lounge access tickets, and headed upstairs to Immigration [where we were attended to by a surly and silent woman with a featureless expression] and on to an almost empty Security. There I had my disposable cigarette lighter confiscated … this seems endemic in the Caribbean, for some reason.

Departures, as seen from the upper level by Documents Check, Immigration and Security ...

Reaching air-side, we headed for Duty Free [to the right] where we were delighted to discover they had our favourite cigarette brand on sale [yay!] at just USD 20 for 200 [about 15% of the price we pay at home].

And then we headed for the Lounge. At this point I was about to take a photo for this TR to show the way, only for the viewfinder to be filled by a policeman waving his arms frantically. It seems photos are NOT allowed (too late, Officer, I've already taken some!). OK, turn left after Security, and the Lounge door is at the far end on the right

http://www.vcbia.com/relax/the-executive-lounge

Comfortable enough seating, but hardly any power points at all [I found just 2]. The outside deck is very nice too [although sadly non-smoking!], although I wonder how the furnishings will cope with the weather. The food offering was minimal in the extreme. We did not bother to use the serviced bar, as we only had a short time to wait before our BA PDB

Wed 21 Jun 17
BA2256, B777-200, 1850 ANU-LGW 0745, CW seats 4J/K

The Lounge staff announced that boarding was starting, so we set off for Gate 3 to find proceedings were already proceeding for CW and priority pax. With no perceptible delay, we were off down the airbridge and seated in 4J/K with a refreshing glass of bubbly. Seat 4G, across the aisle from me, remained empty so I acquired a certain sense of space and privacy, especially once the occupant of 3F put his screen up..

As the CC bustled around getting ready for departure, it was clear that on this occasion we had drawn a really good crew. Charming, cheerful, efficient and really nice! Whether that was partly due to the influence of the CSD [SCCM, or whatever] I don’t know, but he was charm and efficiency personified as well. Cheers, Christopher!

Food. No Trip Report is complete without the photos of the in-flight food, so here we go:

Tasty Prosciutto with pickled Bosc pear …

Perfectly reasonable Chicken (similar to the outbound, but with a different sauce!) …

Tasty little dessert …

After which, following a glass of Port, I grabbed a couple of hours sleep

We declined Breakfast, having no great enthusiasm for the BA Bacon Roll, and in any case food will be available in the Lounge at LGW. So, inevitably, it was “Bonjour Gatwique” at some unearthly hour (0730?) … with a completely painless Border experience [and another set of e-Passport gates ready to come on-line], we hopped ‘kerb-side’ for a <cough x 2> before re-entering the Terminal. “Premium Gatwick” was as quick and convenient as ever, and we made our way to the BA FLounge [with both lifts working this time].

A bite of English Breakfast in the FLounge [yay, Black Pudding!], and watch the pretty aeroplanes and baggage carts … and look! Here comes some Weather! I was too idle/tired to take a photo of the West end of LGW being deluged with water, while our [East] end was still dry … memories of Singapore, and highly localised downpours. Anyway, there were some serious lightning ground strikes as the storm cell made its way across the airport, and operations seemed to come to a halt. Several aircraft were holding near the 28 threshold, another bunch taxying in and holding on the secondary runway having nowhere to go … the stands were presumably blocked with “No, I’m not pushing back yet, in these conditions.” I suspect ATC was having a torrid time.

The delays ticked on, but eventually …

Thu 22 Jun 17
BA2772, A319, 1210 LGW-JER 1315, CE seats 2D/F

… it was later than that [after rolling delays, nearer 1300], as we eventually made our way to the announced Gate 20… which was rammed with pax for a RyanAir flight to Alicante [where else?]. We explored the Terminal spine to the end, and eventually found a BA Gate Agent who made a couple of calls and explained, “Yes, once they are out of the way, you will use that gate and be bussed to your aircraft, which is on a remote stand.” And so it was, albeit somewhat chaotically. Back at Gate 20 we joined the back of the new BA queue, were processed, and eventually boarded the Gatwick Tour Bus Company. From under Gate 20, we returned to the heart of LGW(S), went round a roundabout, and travelled back under Gate 20 and into the distance … where the driver found our aircraft, almost alone and certainly forlorn, parked behind the main Fire Station as it had nowhere to go during the storm. A suitable place to hide that scruffy “Dove”, G-DBCD.

Whichever, we boarded, seated, taxied and received the Safety Brief … with the CSD up front being about as disinterested in the chorus as I’ve ever seen. Not good, Ma’am.

And up and away [I’m sure I can find the exact times somewhere] for the quick hop home to JER. Were we fed in CE? Yes, and there was a choice!! Salmon Salad [that's a surprise] or … oh, Le Croque Monsieur! Not come across that one before, and it wasn’t too bad either! We saved the chocolate pots for when we got home!

By now I/we just wanted to get home and rescue The Cat from her temporary prison cell. Happily JER Arrivals/Reclaim was a breeze, and amazingly [about the first time ever at JER!] our bags were amongst the first on the belt … so outside, TAXI!, and home. A quick ciggie, rescue The Cat, and … collapse. That was quite a long day, from getting up at COCOS to getting home. Still, it remains a privilege to be able to do this sort of thing in CE/CW, thanks to BA Holidays and, of course, all the advice gleaned from Flyertalk. Thanks, folks ^

………

Reflections.

Hotel. It was a booking on a whim, with the temptation of a nice little spell of sunshine at a decent price thanks to BA Holidays. Having made the booking, we did spend some more time researching, and decided that we would set our expectations fairly low [just in case]. As it transpired, we were well pleased with the destination and had very few negative feelings. We would probably do it again, if the price was right.

ba.com. As ever, it was a pain. The initial booking was easy, but the bug with the seat map in MMB was extremely frustrating and almost negated our ability to choose seats. However, our 360 Tier Points posted promptly, and the trip earned in various ways 49,765 Avios

BA. OK, we’re not fans of BA’s 777-200ER in CW for various well-discussed reasons elsewhere on FT. But if you’re flying BA to the Caribbean, you have no choice. And then it’s the LGW airframe lottery, with the options of: 4-class with 48J, 3-class with 48J or 3-class with 40J. Whilst the 4-class ‘tend’ to be route specific, any of the 3 options can be allocated to your route if BA’s circumstances dictate. As noted earlier, we had a 4-class outbound, with F being used as J for some lucky people, and the return was initially a 3-class 48J which apparently changed to a 40J. We were lucky to be able to get ‘rear-bulkhead’ seats, with aisle access from the window seat, on both legs.

Cabin Crew. The usual mix of characters, some good and some less good. However, in this case, I would rate the long-haul crews as ‘Good’ outbound and ‘Very Good’ inbound.

In-Flight Catering. Nothing to complain about, really, which makes a change! It’s airline food, when all’s said and done, and on this occasion slightly better than recent BA experiences.

Baggage. Undamaged, and promptly delivered at both ANU and JER. A rather good experience on this occasion!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Next trip is OGG, starting in 44 days' time

Last edited by T8191; Jan 18, 2020 at 5:20 am Reason: Restore photos
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Extremely enjoyable read ^

Good to re-kindle some memories of our trip to ANU last year - in our case we had a local musician playing as we de-planed, and like you, we had to wait for passengers to arrive while we waited for our ground transportation.

Sounds like your flights were much better than ours. What a difference a good crew makes...
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:28 am

Excellent TR. I must admit that looks rather appealing. I'm not a fan of big luxury or corporate cookie-cutter hotels - so quirky, rustic hotels are just my thing.

And a mention of the Jolly Beach! I stayed there umpty ump years ago on my first visit to the Caribbean. Mind you, I was a sparkly young thing then!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Brilliant. We did exactly this late Jan. Cocos was great. Back off to ANU in November! Can't seem to keep away from it...
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Extremely enjoyable read ^

Good to re-kindle some memories of our trip to ANU last year - in our case we had a local musician playing as we de-planed, and like you, we had to wait for passengers to arrive while we waited for our ground transportation.

Sounds like your flights were much better than ours. What a difference a good crew makes...
How very true! The homeward crew in our cabin were streets ahead of the 'average' ... I must try to book them again

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Excellent TR. I must admit that looks rather appealing. I'm not a fan of big luxury or corporate cookie-cutter hotels - so quirky, rustic hotels are just my thing.

And a mention of the Jolly Beach! I stayed there umpty ump years ago on my first visit to the Caribbean. Mind you, I was a sparkly young thing then!
We are unanimous in that!
This was, I will admit, a bit far off the left end of the curve, but our slight nervousness was quickly dispelled. It was lovely!
I forgive you for your youthful indiscretion

Originally Posted by herbertgoon
Brilliant. We did exactly this late Jan. Cocos was great. Back off to ANU in November! Can't seem to keep away from it...
Good heavens! We had similar parallel experiences with our Western Cape trip, with several others having used the same establishments. Clearly FT-ers have common taste

Yes, we are definite possible returnees. When's the next BA Holidays sale? We need to start working on 2018/19 ... we're booked up for the rest of this calendar year, with a Membership year in May.

Last edited by T8191; Jun 25, 2017 at 6:58 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Uncle T,

A thoroughly enjoyable TR 🖒

Recently back from St Lucia and we upgraded to First from CW both ways and the crew were fantastic! We loved St Lucia too and the Sandals Grande.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Great TR ^
interesting hotel, I find that our trips are nearly always air bnb - maybe a rethink is in order .
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Padmeister
Uncle T, A thoroughly enjoyable TR ��

Recently back from St Lucia and we upgraded to First from CW both ways and the crew were fantastic! We loved St Lucia too and the Sandals Grande.
We enjoyed UVF too ... although in another small establishment in another wooden hut!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-st-lucia.html

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Great TR ^
interesting hotel, I find that our trips are nearly always air bnb - maybe a rethink is in order .
Never tried Air bnb ... probably all severely non-smoking

I do recommend exploring BA Holidays - they have some interesting options at times.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
No offence to Cocos intended, but those photos remind me of the kind of hotel you get in parts of Thailand for $20 a night. Rustic wooden cabins, beautiful views, small pools, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Great report, thank you. We're off to Tobago and Antigua next year (on a 2 for 1 voucher) and are just looking at hotels. Sadly I think that place is a bit beyond our budget!

​​​​​​I'm interested by what you say about the roads. Our default is to rent a car at some point in our trips, but perhaps we need to reconsider.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Great TR yet again T!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
No offence to Cocos intended, but those photos remind me of the kind of hotel you get in parts of Thailand for $20 a night. Rustic wooden cabins, beautiful views, small pools, etc.
True ... I would struggle to give it 4-stars

Originally Posted by saint_em
Great report, thank you. We're off to Tobago and Antigua next year (on a 2 for 1 voucher) and are just looking at hotels. Sadly I think that place is a bit beyond our budget!

​​​​​​I'm interested by what you say about the roads. Our default is to rent a car at some point in our trips, but perhaps we need to reconsider.
The roads aren't impossible ... just a bit rough and congested, especially around St. John. I wouldn't regard it as a relaxing drive, although everyone seems to be reasonably careful.

Originally Posted by stevieed
Great TR yet again T!
Thanks, matey. Going to read yours now ... the one with better photographs, you posh git!!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

An enjoyable read. ^

Many's the night I've slept in a garden shed although none of mine ever had electricity or plumbing never mind a double bed and curtains....yours looked positively luxurious to me.

Glad the background music stopped, that would have made me go ballistic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.