Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Calchas
Very nice, particularly the photography; I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

BA is happy for oneworld Sapphires/Emeralds and those travelling in J/F to check in at any time on the same day.

If you're travelling from Terminal 5, just head towards the First Class Check In (turn right as you enter the terminal and go all the way to the southern end). If you are being dropped off by car, it is the final entrance before the ramp exit. After the check in desks, which you don't have to use, there is a dedicated security route for F and Emerald pax.

It was informally called "Millionaire Door" because BA had to pay a lot of money to the airport to install the door and provide a way for their F pax to bypass the shopping mall. Some others call it "Millionaires' Door" because apparently, all BA F pax are millionaires ( I'm not ). BA have now re-instated the door after complaints from travellers who naturally come in that way from domestic flights.
LOL good job no one else was in my reception area to hear me laughing.^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Loved the first hotel and great lap pool, did you make use of it. Room liked nice albeit though the carpet would do my head in why not have something plain^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Have not been to South Africa for 53 years - time I went back
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Loving the style. Can't wait for some more cape town/ garden route material- best place ever!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Nice Part 2, Stevie. I assume that's totally Nosmo King?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by BA5E
Loved the first hotel and great lap pool, did you make use of it. Room liked nice albeit though the carpet would do my head in why not have something plain^
Thanks! Alas I did not make use of it, we had very little time at that hotel. And yes, the carpet did my eyes in a bit, especially after a long flight!

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Have not been to South Africa for 53 years - time I went back
Thank you. Please go back, it's one of the most wonderful places I have ever visited.

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Loving the style. Can't wait for some more cape town/ garden route material- best place ever!
Thanks! Yes, Cape Town is utterly wonderful! One of my favourite cities in the world.

Originally Posted by T8191
Nice Part 2, Stevie. I assume that's totally Nosmo King?
Thank you Uncle T. I actually don't know, none of us smoke, so we never enquired, however I would assume it was non-smoking. I certainly saw no ashtrays nor did I smell smoke in any of the rooms/areas. However the outside area did have ashtrays, so you could always have a drink AND a cigarette
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevieed
Thank you Uncle T. I actually don't know, none of us smoke, so we never enquired, however I would assume it was non-smoking. I certainly saw no ashtrays nor did I smell smoke in any of the rooms/areas. However the outside area did have ashtrays, so you could always have a drink AND a cigarette
Outside, but decently provided-for, seems to be the SA routine ... although we had a smoking room at The Cullinan in CPT
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I'm excited to see the remainder of this trip report. We have 1 night in JNB (hotel TBD) and 54 on Bath looks good. Are you doing the fed air charter to Madikwe? We have the Morokuru Farm House booked and realllllly looking forward to your impressions of that park. Keep up the awesome work!!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by patchan8984
I'm excited to see the remainder of this trip report. We have 1 night in JNB (hotel TBD) and 54 on Bath looks good. Are you doing the fed air charter to Madikwe? We have the Morokuru Farm House booked and realllllly looking forward to your impressions of that park. Keep up the awesome work!!
Thanks! I would highly recommend 54 on Bath. It's very quiet, the rooms are spacious, it's well located and the staff are excellent.

We decided not to do the charter to Madikwe basically because I totally screwed up! I had travelled to Pilanesburg the year before and assumed that all reserves in South Africa allowed you to self drive, hence we opted to drive a rental car there. Next time I would probably take the charter service. Other guests who we met used it and were very happy with the service, however a couple of things to note; soft bags only (i.e. ruck sack or gym bag) and you can only take 20KGs per person. There is a service at the airport though where you can unpack and leave luggage, so most people do that.

The park is just wonderful, well maintained, lots of wildlife, excellent guides and not many vehicles. There are a lot of photos coming
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the JNB section. We will be spending two nights which I believe includes Sunday. Didn't know about the farmers market but have put on our itinerary.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Thanks for the JNB section. We will be spending two nights which I believe includes Sunday. Didn't know about the farmers market but have put on our itinerary.
Thanks! It's worthwhile to go to for sure.

More of JNB will be posted towards the end of my report.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good job you don't use Photobucket for your TRs. They have just stopped 3rd Party posting (i.e. linking images to websites like this) unless you subscribe at USD 399.99 per annum (not a typo!), so I'm having to reload all my TR imagery through another facility (Imgur.com). Well, not "all", as that would take forever. <expletives deleted>
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Good job you don't use Photobucket for your TRs. They have just stopped 3rd Party posting (i.e. linking images to websites like this) unless you subscribe at USD 399.99 per annum (not a typo!), so I'm having to reload all my TR imagery through another facility (Imgur.com). Well, not "all", as that would take forever. <expletives deleted>
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Thanks for writing, am looking forward to the rest of your trip, especially the Garden Route section, which I'm visiting myself in August. It's a beautiful region!

Originally Posted by stevieed
  1. Flight – Comair – Business – A321 – JNB to CPT
  2. Flight – South African Airways – Economy – A320 – GRG to JNB
A couple of notes; the BA Comair flight would have been a 737 (that's all they operate) and the airport code for George is GRJ.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
This is a tremendous TR. Fantastic photos, descriptions, and reviews of your hotel and flight. I am looking forward to the rest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.