ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Across Siberia to Southeast Asia, Fiji and the American West

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Across Siberia to Southeast Asia, Fiji and the American West

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Seat2A another amazing report, unfortunately I was let go from my job last week, and I must admit, I did think "at least i'll have time to read the epic TR!". I can't wait to read your next adventure
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Norwegian do the job but there's no better way to fly LHR-HEL than the daily Finnair A350

A great TR, thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Howdy gang! I've been hard at work booking ancillary flights around Australia and the U.S. for my upcoming trip this fall. While that trip won't include the vast diversity of airlines of this one, I'd like to think it'll prove to be sufficiently varied to warrant a trip report worth reading - even if all of the international flights will be on Qantas, which has been reported upon ad nauseum by so many other FTers over the years.

Who knows - maybe I should just limit the report to the transcon Amtrak between Florida and Portland. We'll see...

Thanks again for checking out this report and for your positive comments, guys. ^^

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Seat2A, you've inspired me to cajole my better half into letting me get some great train riding in while we're in Paris in October.

Your itinerary looks like a lot of fun, MSY. Here's wishing you both a great trip!
Originally Posted by aidy
Seat2A another amazing report, unfortunately I was let go from my job last week, and I must admit, I did think "at least i'll have time to read the epic TR!". I can't wait to read your next adventure.

I am truly sorry for your loss, aidy. Here's hoping you find (or regain) your dream job by the time I publish my next report. ^^
Originally Posted by Andaman
Norwegian do the job but there's no better way to fly LHR-HEL than the daily Finnair A350. A great TR, thanks!

I hear you, Andaman! I would love to have flown aboard that Finnair A350 but that $74.00 one way on Norwegian have Finnair's fare beat by a wide margin.

Thankfully Finnair has recently joined Alaska's Mileage Plan, so I look forward to logging a flight or two in Business perhaps later this year.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:26 pm

Seat 2A BRAVO! What an incredible TR. I like to read it slowly over a couple of weeks. It allows me to savor all the various facets of your trips. Truly magnificent. Can't wait for the next one.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, OZ Diamond, CX Silver
Wow. Witty writing and fabulous photography. What else can one ask for? Thanks so much for sharing your epic trip with us.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning, gang! With marginally better internet service, I can finally address your responses - albeit only early in the morning. Regardless, thanks again for your readership!

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Seat 2A BRAVO! What an incredible TR. I like to read it slowly over a couple of weeks. It allows me to savor all the various facets of your trips. Truly magnificent. Can't wait for the next one.

Thank you, jmj9905. This report is about as multi-faceted as it gets and I'm going to have a hard time matching it. To that end however I have recently booked eleven flights all around Australia (All but two in Business Class) as well as a trans-con First Class rail adventure for later this autumn.
Originally Posted by bonsaisai
Wow. Witty writing and fabulous photography. What else can one ask for? Thanks so much for sharing your epic trip with us.

Thank you, bonsaisai. I just finished transcribing it all to MS Word doc. complete with some pictures. Now to see if FedEx/Kinkos or some similar entity can turn it into something both readable and durable. Better yet, if I could find a way to get some of my longer reports to be put in magazine type format...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Just read the opener - nice start (which also means that I just started reading the report, busy as I was with our Alaska plans)! Will take seat 2Z, thank you very much ;-)

I confess that your trip report is already much more exciting than my Alaska report (but that won't stop me from adding a link to it so folks can jump there from here, will it?).

BTW, to me there are three ways to get fun from one's travels, once while planning for them, once while experiencing them, and the third when one is writing a trip report to regurgitate everything!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Seat 2A I just want to add my words to the countless others that were quicker at reading this than me.

Having read your previous reports I knew this one would be a novel of great proportions. I started reading this as soon as you posted, not wanting to rush and knowing I had time on two trips of my own, I rationed it accordingly.

82 days, 20 flights and over 33,000 miles later I have now finished reading this epic sitting in the Sheraton Bangkok with a Gin and Tonic.

Map showing how DaveNCL, his iPad and Seat 2A’s TR have traveled

Your effort is appreciated, knowing myself what goes into these I think your preferred modes of travel fit well with your writing style.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
I was thinking "where has Seat 2A been lately" when I came across not one but TWO unread TRs of his. I don't know how I missed this volumous trip report, but I read the whole thing. I loved it and saw a bit more personality coming through in this one. There was much to remark about, but I thought it a bit humorous when you went for a wander back to coach on the Air China flight, but brought your Boarding Pass along just in case.

"But, but, my seat is up there."

"Sure it is buddy, sure it is, if it's up there, then why are you back here? Sit down in 54G and be happy we're not sending you to prison. The Kiwi's have already told us about you".

Can't wait to read the latest one. Your TRs are always a treat.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iaflyer
I was thinking "where has Seat 2A been lately" when I came across not one but TWO unread TRs of his. I don't know how I missed this voluminous trip report, but I read the whole thing. I loved it and saw a bit more personality coming through in this one. There was much to remark about, but I thought it a bit humorous when you went for a wander back to coach on the Air China flight, but brought your Boarding Pass along just in case.
"But, but, my seat is up there."
"Sure it is buddy, sure it is, if it's up there, then why are you back here? Sit down in 54G and be happy we're not sending you to prison. The Kiwi's have already told us about you".
Can't wait to read the latest one. Your TRs are always a treat.
At this late date, I'm not sure if I should respond or not. People might be sick of this rather epic TR by now but hey - glad you found me, iaflyer, and that you enjoyed the ride/read along. As one of just nine people who actually read the entire thing, you really should get some sort of prize. At the very least, the first round's on me should ever our paths cross!

Trips like this are as fun to plan as they are to travel. Thankfully, most everything on this trip worked out beautifully. My upcoming spring travels are nowhere near as extensive but hopefully they'll be worthy of a trip report. I'll let you all be the judge. In the meantime, thanks again for stopping by at this report!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Having read your previous reports I knew this one would be a novel of great proportions. I started reading this as soon as you posted, not wanting to rush and knowing I had time on two trips of my own, I rationed it accordingly. 82 days, 20 flights and over 33,000 miles later I have now finished reading this epic sitting in the Sheraton Bangkok with a Gin and Tonic.

Map showing how DaveNCL, his iPad and Seat 2A’s TR have traveled

Your effort is appreciated, knowing myself what goes into these I think your preferred modes of travel fit well with your writing style.
Wow!!! Hey Dave - did you write a trip report about reading and traveling this impressive itinerary? I want to read it! First Prize for taking this trip report along on its most far flung read! ^^
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Just saw this TR by Seat 2A - poured a glass wine - it’s going to be a very pleasant evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.