New York, New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York, New York

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Another great report, Daniel! Looks like you had a great time in my hometown city. You did a ton of stuff in just a few days - awesome! It makes me want to visit NYC now again after seeing your report.

Thanks for sharing.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I : heart: NYC

Great report as always DanielW
I have been living in NYC for 10 years on/off, and work close to Wall Street, so it is great to view my daily grounds through a tourist's eyes.
Thanks
Old May 31, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
thanks Daniel, great as usual ^. This report really stuck a chord for me because over the past 2-3 years, I've tried my damnest to get a job in NYC. There are very few cities domestically I'd like to live in (besides my current home of Houston) and NYC is at the top of that list. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out so I have to settle for my 2-3 times a year trips to the city.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:54 pm

Very cool trip report! You really capture the "essence" of NYC!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phranktzi
Thanks again for posting such a detailed report and your wonderful photos.
Brings back memories of my first trip to NYC and one of my first stops was B&H as well.
Ah Lobster Place, my goto breakfast while in NYC.
Thanks, phranktzi. The Lobster Place was super busy with lots of people getting their Lobster fix. I'll definitely have to head back there for a proper meal when I next get back to NYC.
Originally Posted by offerendum
They take the people all the fun
Yes, no problems with bathroom gender rules here.
Originally Posted by gaobest
Great (as always!!) TR! I'm very impressed about the $185 rate at The Moderne! How did you find the hotel and rate? Great location and gorgeous room.
I'm glad you enjoyed The High Line - such a clever use of space. We did a similar visit of Chelsea Market / High Line the last time we were in NYC, in 2010. I've not wanted to return because I already live in an expensive city and now I prefer holidays in non-cities.
Thank you, gaobest. Yes, the Moderne was a great find. I found it while browsing Kayak.com, but booked it direct from the hotel website. I paid a non-refundable rate, so got a bit of a discount too. I only booked a deluxe room but looks like I was a given a suite: http://modernehotelnyc.com/midtown-hotel-rooms/
I really enjoyed the Highline too, a great idea!
Originally Posted by gaobest
You saw a lot in a short period of time. Any visit of any amount of time is a good visit.
I forgot to ask if she enjoyed the amenity Kit. Clever to get the women's kit.
Yes, I would definitely love to head back to see all the stuff I missed. Rianda loved the amenity kit, and was relieved I bought her a NYC t-shirt and not one with Mr. Trump on the front.
Originally Posted by stevie
Great report on NYC.
Kind of glad I no longer live in the US given the portion sizes of the food!
Cheers, stevie. I'm ok with quantity as long as there is also quality.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Isn´t NYC too save for you
I had to make an exception for one of the world's greatest cities.
Originally Posted by Jane42
I just visited NYC for the first time in 30 years. Only stayed for a day, so your trip report showed me all that I missed! Thank you!!
Thanks, Jane42, a day would have been just enough time to enjoy and experience some of the buzz and energy of the city.
Originally Posted by TCD
Thanks, great report. My jaw dropped through the floor when you said that enormous hotel room was $185 a night. Deal of the century.
Did you have a chance to check out the new Oculus transport hub when you were at the WTC site? One of the most amazing structures I've ever been into. Admittedly it cost $4bn so you'd hope so, but its still an astonishing sight that I think I even prefer to Grand Central.
Thank you, TCD. Yes, I had heard that NYC hotel rooms are known to be very 'cosy', so was super suprised when I opened the door to my room at the Moderne. I had only booked the cheapest room/rate, but looks like they upgraded me to a bigger room. I saw the outside of the Oculus hub from the WTC memorial, quite an architectural feat!
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Lovely report Daniel! That pastrami sandwich looks simply amazing!
A shame you didn't have time to visit the UN. I'm sure you would have captured some amazing pictures there.
Many thanks, MatthewLAX. Yes, the pastrami sandwich was a good taste of NYC cuisine. I will definitely have to add the UN building for my second visit too.
Originally Posted by londonfog
You are a very good photographer! I enjoyed your 'take' on New York. A city where I spent 8 years of my life and where I return on a regular basis.
Will try the food tour next time! (And I have written down the name of the ice cream place for future reference )
Thank you, londonfog. You must have seen and experienced alot in NYC over eight years, and some happy memories too. The food tour was a great value, quite a few tastings in a short amount of time with very friendly and personable Darrel to guide us around. The gelato at the end was a great finish too.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Another amazing round of photos DanielW ^^ As always, thank you for sharing!!
Many thanks, Madone59, and thanks again for the tip for the tasty lox bagel.
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I sense a challenge...I bet I could do it in a month...and document it too...
Expedition 212? I think caffeine poisoning doesn't set in until around 40 cups so maybe you could pace yourself over a week?
Originally Posted by 757
Another great report, Daniel! Looks like you had a great time in my hometown city. You did a ton of stuff in just a few days - awesome! It makes me want to visit NYC now again after seeing your report.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, 757. A great trip and only wish I could have spent a few days longer.
Originally Posted by zip10001
Great report as always DanielW
I have been living in NYC for 10 years on/off, and work close to Wall Street, so it is great to view my daily grounds through a tourist's eyes.
Thanks
Cheers, zip10001. Working and living in NYC must be a quite an experience. I am grateful I was fortunate to spend a few days there, experiencing all the sights and sounds.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
thanks Daniel, great as usual ^. This report really stuck a chord for me because over the past 2-3 years, I've tried my damnest to get a job in NYC. There are very few cities domestically I'd like to live in (besides my current home of Houston) and NYC is at the top of that list. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out so I have to settle for my 2-3 times a year trips to the city.
Many thanks, krazykanuck. NYC would be a great place to live and work, if only for a secondment or something similar. Maybe you can ask SFO777 for some contacts? The city has an alluring vibe and certain energy that I haven't experienced anywhere else on my travels.
Originally Posted by Burj
Very cool trip report! You really capture the "essence" of NYC!
Thank you, Burj. So much to see and photograph in this busy and vibrant city, I would really love to head back and see some more!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Love visiting NYC and you captured it very well. Looks like you were on a refurbed DL A319 out of Havana. Out of curiosity, how was the setup for them in Havana? I flew Southwest which was out of a different terminal.

Impressive looking food tour as well, never thought of doing that in NY.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:53 am

It's fun to see NYC through the eyes of others!
I've lived here for 30 years. At times I've loved and and at others I have despised it.
I'm currently in love with my city and plan to spend my retirement here. Why live in some assisted living facility when I can have a doorman who will do pretty much everything?!

My one nit with your pictures - that slice of pizza looked pretty bad. OK, it looked dreadful! Next time please find better pizza!

But otherwise I love this thread.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Various
I haven't been to New York since 2012. I have been thinking about going back and your pictures really present the city in a very favourable light, even with the snow...

Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:08 pm

I agree with all the previous posters, thank you for sharing your wonderful photos and report. Excellent as usual!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Love the Moderne hotel. Looks a bargain for 300
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, Burj. So much to see and photograph in this busy and vibrant city, I would really love to head back and see some more!
If you go back in good weather I highly recommend the High Line! It is not super touristy yet and is a great place to people watch!

http://www.thehighline.org/visit

Also, if you have the time, venture to the ethnic areas, like Astoria Queens/Jackson Heights! You'll see that NYC's Desi (South Asian) community is different from the UAE community in a lot of ways!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks again for another great trip report.

Your photos were excellent especially the night time ones and wow at the contract pre/post snow in Central Park!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Love visiting NYC and you captured it very well. Looks like you were on a refurbed DL A319 out of Havana. Out of curiosity, how was the setup for them in Havana? I flew Southwest which was out of a different terminal.
Impressive looking food tour as well, never thought of doing that in NY.
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. Delta was in Terminal 3 at Havana Airport. The check-in and gate areas were relatively modern and organised, fine for Cuba anyway. Definitely recommend the food tour, our entertaining guide was worth the price alone!
Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
It's fun to see NYC through the eyes of others!
I've lived here for 30 years. At times I've loved and and at others I have despised it.
I'm currently in love with my city and plan to spend my retirement here. Why live in some assisted living facility when I can have a doorman who will do pretty much everything?!
My one nit with your pictures - that slice of pizza looked pretty bad. OK, it looked dreadful! Next time please find better pizza!
But otherwise I love this thread.
Thank you, FlagrantViola, retiring in NYC would definitely not be too bad.
I'm not much of a pizza connoisseur, but agree that pizza was pretty ordinary. It was at a place near the WTC memorial so think it was setup more for tourists rather than more discerning locals.
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I haven't been to New York since 2012. I have been thinking about going back and your pictures really present the city in a very favourable light, even with the snow...
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Fredrik74. Yes, never a bad time to visit one of the world's greatest cities!
Originally Posted by halfcape
I agree with all the previous posters, thank you for sharing your wonderful photos and report. Excellent as usual!
Cheers, halfcape. My next TR will be on an island too, albeit a little less urban.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Love the Moderne hotel. Looks a bargain for 300
Thank you, Annalisa12. I left a decent review on Tripadvisor I was so impressed with the hotel.
Originally Posted by Burj
If you go back in good weather I highly recommend the High Line! It is not super touristy yet and is a great place to people watch!
http://www.thehighline.org/visit
Also, if you have the time, venture to the ethnic areas, like Astoria Queens/Jackson Heights! You'll see that NYC's Desi (South Asian) community is different from the UAE community in a lot of ways!
Thanks, Burj. Wil have to add this for my return visit, I definitely want to head over to the other boroughs of NYC too.
Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks again for another great trip report.
Your photos were excellent especially the night time ones and wow at the contract pre/post snow in Central Park!
Cheers, nequine. Darrel was pretty skeptical of the forecast for snow. I'm glad he was wrong though!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Another fantastic collection of photos. You always capture the atmosphere and character of a location in your reports!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
And again, an amazing TR. Thank you. I have not been to NYC for about 6 years now, and really miss it. Those pastrami sandwiches at Katzs' WOW, my last one fed me for lunch and dinner.......

And Chelsea Market - I am still using the one utensil I bought there. Sadly, the lemon squeezer broke - it seems that the lemons here in Johannesburg are tough bloody things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.