Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

2 studs do Granada with Iberia: 6 flights and 4 cities

2 studs do Granada with Iberia: 6 flights and 4 cities

Old May 24, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Great TR. I am headed there in October for my first visit to Spain. I would love to know where you had tapas and beer in that amazing pic overlooking Alhambra. Do you happen to remember the name of the place? Thanks for this TR. I think I will enjoy the city for a few days.
bitterproffit - great question! I couldn't remember so took a trip through Granada on Google maps..... the place is called Restaurante El Huerto de Juan Ranas - I'd highly recommend a trip there but you might want to book a table in advance so that you get a good seat.

Thanks for reading the TR!
Old May 24, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stu1985
bitterproffit - great question! I couldn't remember so took a trip through Granada on Google maps..... the place is called Restaurante El Huerto de Juan Ranas - I'd highly recommend a trip there but you might want to book a table in advance so that you get a good seat.

Thanks for reading the TR!
Awesome! Its right by the Plaza I was going to visit. Thanks for looking it up.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thanks for your pic Chris, I can see why Stu didn't post your picture, he didn't want you to outshine him.
oh, CIHY, thank you. Stu is very nice (or 'lovely' as he called me) and good looking as well though. Don't upset him.

only thing I'd add though is that you pay for the view (i.e. lots of other places were very reasonable whilst that one was a bit more - understandably given the views.

Happy Beach Day.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Oooh, it'd have to be a decent run for me to come to Dublin
Theres more to attract you to Dublin than just the miles.... And you can bring Chris too now we've finally seen what he looks like!!

Out of interest, how long would you suggest for a stay in Granada? Thinking of going myself later in the year
Old May 24, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Theres more to attract you to Dublin than just the miles.... And you can bring Chris too now we've finally seen what he looks like!!

Out of interest, how long would you suggest for a stay in Granada? Thinking of going myself later in the year
haha. thank you. I am there in June actually but for a work event....

25 hours. arrived Saturday at 1pm ish and left Sunday at 2pm ish. we did fly to MAD Friday night though and connect in MAD on the Sunday too to get the 346 (and the TPs to fill the gap in my membership year).
Old May 24, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell

2 nights would be the perfect length of time. And make sure you book the Alhambra in advance.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

We were up early(ish) the next morning to spend a few hours wandering around before we had to head to the airport. We asked the girl on reception (the same nice one as the day before) where was good to go for breakfast. I had breakfast included in my room rate but we both thought it would be good to go somewhere we could sit outside. We walked in the same direction we did while exploring yesterday and found a wee café where we got a ham and cheese baguette, some coffee and juice. It was quite comical......the guy waiter who was outside serving had to be reminded about 7 times that chris1979 had ordered some tea. He also had difficulties in understanding the meaning of "one orange juice" - we got two - and he was huffy when we asked to pay. But the baguette was nice and we did some people watching!

We then took another wander up some streets which we hadn't been around the day before. We found a great looking bar in one of the hotels which I would love to visit next time I go to Granada.

We had a look in some small shops and found this great old guy who made everything imaginable from wood - and some very pretty patterns on the wood too. Even though he was speaking in Spanish to us, we somehow managed to understand him and what (we think) he was saying to us!

LADS

We made our way back to the hotel after finding the Spanish dancing lady emoji!

We had a quick freshen up before we checked out, bid our new friend farewell and jumped into a taxi to the airport where we amused the driver by paying the whole 30 euro ride in coins!

I went to the desk to grab my boarding passes as I couldn't check in on the Iberia app and we then went to the lounge. Joke. We went to our make shift lounge which was the pavement right outside the airport beside the taxi rank.

It was actually nice sitting in the sun with a beer chilling out. There were a load of folk doing the same. One of the Italy flights (Milan?) was over 3 hours delayed so they had loads of time to enjoy the sun. We went through security about 30 mins before the flight was due to depart and timed it perfectly. We waited less than 5 mins until boarding was called and then walked across to the plane waiting for us. I do quite like walking across to your plane, especially in warm countries - the heat mixed with the smell of aviation fuel and the sound of engines etc.....

IB547, GRX - MAD, EC-JXV, A319

We were first on the plane and grabbed our seats. Boarding took a while as the flight appeared to be full. There were no seats left in business class. I had two flight crew sitting behind me. We both got a bit excited after we took off because we could smell hot meals being made in the galley but they were just for the captain and his first officer.

Bye Granada!

Again, some great scenery beneath us as we flew up to Madrid.

The snack - this was f*cking disgusting. It was cheese and chutney (I think). It was dry, stale and inedible. I didn't touch it and, instead, enjoyed some fizz.

And after a quick 45 mins, we were back in Madrid and making our way to the Sala Velázquez lounge in T4S - one of the great lounges in the oneworld network.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:46 am

Old May 28, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by chris1979

Can't really tell whose legs are whose
Old May 28, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by goodo
Can't really tell whose legs are whose
muscly and tanned = mine.

scottish = Stu

Old May 28, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
muscly and tanned = mine.

scottish = Stu

Duly noted haha
Old May 28, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

We got to the lounge and found a table as you turn left at the entrance. chris1979 got a massive plate of food while I nibbled. The food selection during the day isn't too bad (although needed replenishing during our visit).

The lounge is great for plane spotters.....

IB3166, MAD - LHE, EC-KZI, A346

We boarded our massive plane and found our seats in the forward business class cabin. Much faster using the business lane queue! Hehe

Bye Madrid.......until next time!

Menus were handed out before the service started. I decided to go for the chicken.

The chicken was pretty tasty and was served along with a nice crispy salad, a chocolate mousse and some cheese - yum!

Coffee and tea were served after the meal trays had been cleared. I like the small trays that the coffee comes on and the chocolate which comes along with it is a nice touch.

Some nice scenery as we flew over France which was topped off by seeing the island of Jersey off to the left hand side of the plane. I gave a wave to UncleT!

I had a whisky and some of the tasty nuts which Iberia serve. The cabin crew were very good at keeping me topped up

Peek a boo!

Before long, we had started our descent towards Heathrow doing some cloud dodging on the way in.

We landed at T5C and took the walkway across to the A gates where I said bye to chris1979.

I had a few hours in the FLounge before the short hop up to Aberdeen where the usual salad is served in Club Europe.

So, all in all, I had a great trip. We could probably have done with another day in Granada in the hope that we would have got to go to the Alhambra. However, I loved having a weekend away in the sun and we have already planned our next jaunt away - Valencia in August so stay tuned for that report!
Old May 29, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Certainly looked like a nice place you guys were staying in!

Thanks for another good trip report.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Another very good read stu1985, fantastic pics and prose. Looks like you and chris1979 had a superb time, and I've no doubt there will be another trip in the not too distant future.
I do really enjoy meeting fellow FTers too, especially in the sublime surroundings of CCR.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Certainly looked like a nice place you guys were staying in!

Thanks for another good trip report.
Thanks nequine. Yes - hotel was lovely!

Originally Posted by Charlie26r
Another very good read stu1985, fantastic pics and prose. Looks like you and chris1979 had a superb time, and I've no doubt there will be another trip in the not too distant future.
I do really enjoy meeting fellow FTers too, especially in the sublime surroundings of CCR.
Glad you enjoyed Charlie26r. Had a v relaxing afternoon in the CCR!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.