Search

MB European Delivery Program – An Adventure on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Was it easy driving around. I am scared to rent a car anywhere I go abroad.

I was in Murren 30 years ago and liked it but never went to Wengen which looks nice.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Not really a region which is hard to drive. Germany is generally easy to drive.
Germans know how to drive and on the Autobahn as long as you stay out of the far right lane you shouldn't have a problem. I felt safer in Germany then I did in France driving.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Driving on the Autobahn in Germany was easy. Often, there were congestions due to road work or accident. With GPS, driving gets much easier. Sometimes it is a challenge to find parking, nonetheless.

Wenger is beautiful, but Murren trumps Wenger, IMHO.
Before our ED, many people on one of the BMW forums told me to add about 2 hours to the travel times that Google Maps says it take since road construction and accidents aren't counted in the travel time, and that was pretty true for us, except for the major accident we hit outside of Lake Hallstatt that delayed us for 3 hours.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I felt safer in Germany then I did in France driving.
More than understandable.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Germans know how to drive and on the Autobahn as long as you stay out of the far right lane you shouldn't have a problem. I felt safer in Germany then I did in France driving.
Far left, not right. Right is for minimum speed, far left at minimum speed can get you hurt.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:30 am

wow stunning pictures, I visited Lauterbrunnen last year and miss it already.

thanks for sharing!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Part 15 Thun and Zurich

Last night’s rain lingered on to this morning! After breakfast, we decided to drive off very early to Zurich, with a stop at Thun, to see the Schloss Thun.
I pulled the car up to near the entrance of the hotel for loading luggage. Done!

Finished loading luggage in front of hotel

On the road to Thun

We entered Thun soon enough. Next we had to negotiate some narrow and windy city roads to an underground parking garage near the castle. The rain persisted, plus some added fog. After a short walk up to the castle, we began to explore the castle grounds. Sitting high above the town of Thun, I was expecting to see a grand panoramic view of Berner Oberland and Thunersee (Lake Thun). Today however, the view was somewhat disappointing due to the lack of visibility. Nonetheless, the enjoyable short hike and historic architecture made it a worthwhile visit. It has a good educational museum for school children and adults alike.

Schloss Thun

After Schloss Thun, we continued the drive to Zurich. For convenience sake, we booked a hotel near the airport, Park Inn by Radisson. Early check in to the hotel was without a problem.

Next, we planned to drop off the car at the designated logistic company. Fortunately, the company office was located near the airport as well.
Before the drop-off, we took the car to a car wash, per MB’s instructions. Again to our fortune, the car-wash was located across the street from the office.

Here we were, at the office of the logistic company. They were expecting us due to prior communication by email. First, the staff verified all documents, then inspected the vehicle for any damages and recorded the mileage reading.

Within 30 minutes, everything was completed. Turned over the car key to them, and off we went to lunch at Burger King (also across the street). It may be the only restaurant nearby. We seldom do Burger King at home, and almost forgot how great the burger tastes

At this point, we had 2 days to tour Zurich. We took the tram whenever it deemed necessary, otherwise we pretty much covered the city on foot.

Zurich

Zurich

Zurich

Well, time flies when you are having fun. We concluded our visit to Zurich by flying home via New York, and then to San Francisco.

Now before I forget, let me address my own “derogatory” statement that was posted in Post #1. It said:

“This is not your normal way of buying a car: Never knew the salesman; cut the purchase order before prices established.”

Circumstances were such MB delayed the 2017 launch by about 1 month (normally mid-August, now pushed out to mid-September). I started the dialogue with a salesman by emails and a couple of phone calls sometime in July. He assured me that MSRP on everything would not exceed 1% of 2016 prices. I’ve never dealt with him before, nor was he introduced to me. I found him in the “cloud”. He is a German American and has been doing MB EDP for years.

Our car was to be shipped by freight. Interesting to note that the GLC300 SUV was actually manufactured in the factory in Bremen, and now it would be trucked (or trained) back there to catch the freight from the port of Bremen, sailing to Long Beach, CA, USA.

The car was ready for pick up States side in about 10 weeks after the drop-off in Zurich. After clearing custom and the normal MB checkup, the car would be delivered to the San Diego area dealer that I ordered it from (my home port is SFO). The salesman could ship the car by freight to a dealer near me, but he wanted to meet me in person at his dealership. So he offered me some incentive plus courtesy pick at an airport of my choice (LAX, LGB, SAN). Since I had some flying to do and would be transiting LAX couple of times around the estimated time of pick up. So I took his offer. Besides, I also like to meet him.

In summary, European Delivery has been an interesting and fun way to buy a car. Personally, I don’t like the hassle of negotiating with the salesman face to face. Besides, I was paying cash in full. So the entire process was simple and clean.

We did enjoy the freedom of driving while in Europe. The combination of German car and German Autobahn conjures up 250km/h speed! It does not work with me. The most I drove was 150km/h, and that was not sustainable for long due to traffic and road conditions. Call me chicken!

If and when I need another car, I’d do it again!

In fact, because it was so much fun, I thought I write this trip report and share that with your guys!

Thanks for reading. Safe travel!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Before our ED, many people on one of the BMW forums told me to add about 2 hours to the travel times that Google Maps says it take since road construction and accidents aren't counted in the travel time, and that was pretty true for us, except for the major accident we hit outside of Lake Hallstatt that delayed us for 3 hours.
Lake Hallstatt is a fav of mine. Regret that I didn't get to re-visit it. This place is super crowded in the summer.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
More than understandable.
+1
Old May 22, 2017, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Far left, not right. Right is for minimum speed, far left at minimum speed can get you hurt.
Not from this trip, once I was on the left lane, a VW flashed its lights and almost kissed my tail. I immediately moved over to the right.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
wow stunning pictures, I visited Lauterbrunnen last year and miss it already.

thanks for sharing!
Thanks for reading. Berner Oberland requires multiple visits. Seasonally at least summer and winter.

It is my pleasure to share.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Not from this trip, once I was on the left lane, a VW flashed its lights and almost kissed my tail. I immediately moved over to the right.
I had a German speced BWM 635 IM that was capable of 180+ MPH straight off the showroom floor. Loved that car and would often put it on cruise control at 120 MPH to drive from Heidelberg to Munich. Even at that speed I'd get the flashing lights from behind only to move to the right to get passed by a Volkswagen Golf. Unfortunately I had to leave the car in Germany when we came back to the US. Back then bringing it into line with US safety and emissions requirements was difficult and expensive. Luckily I actually sold the car to another American for what I'd paid for it two years earlier.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
We had a short visit to Switzerland 11 months ago, and your TR made me want to spend more time there.

Sadly we experienced really poor customer service on the Glacier Express and also at our hotel in Zermatt, and at security departing ZRH, which soured out feelings about Switzerland.

It truely is a beautiful country, so next visit I will know to have lower expectations and we should manage just fine
Old May 25, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I had a German speced BWM 635 IM that was capable of 180+ MPH straight off the showroom floor. Loved that car and would often put it on cruise control at 120 MPH to drive from Heidelberg to Munich. Even at that speed I'd get the flashing lights from behind only to move to the right to get passed by a Volkswagen Golf. Unfortunately I had to leave the car in Germany when we came back to the US. Back then bringing it into line with US safety and emissions requirements was difficult and expensive. Luckily I actually sold the car to another American for what I'd paid for it two years earlier.
You too!
VW drivers love to speed
Old May 25, 2017, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
We had a short visit to Switzerland 11 months ago, and your TR made me want to spend more time there.

Sadly we experienced really poor customer service on the Glacier Express and also at our hotel in Zermatt, and at security departing ZRH, which soured out feelings about Switzerland.

It truely is a beautiful country, so next visit I will know to have lower expectations and we should manage just fine
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
We did the Glacier Express few years ago and had a blast. We did round trip in 1 single day: Chur to Zermatt to Chur.
Hope you go back again.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold

Dinner for 2 at Carl's Brauhaus: Steak & Schweinshaxe (aka fried pork knuckle with potato dumpling) - with sparkling water & beer. We loved the dinner!

[u
Its actually not fried but roasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.