Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
There's always Cleveland. Just kidding. The majority of my relatives have moved South; Atlanta and southern Florida. I'm stuck in CLE until retirement. Five more years to go. My plans are to extensively travel the world because the stress of my occupation and travel is the only way I can remain relatively sane. I did live in NYC for one year in the early 1990s. It was an experience.
Thanks CosmosHuman. Don't laugh, I suggested it although only in jest and after a few drinks. We loved our years in Cleveland raising a family but that time has passed. We'll settle for return in June for a Cavs game or October for the Tribe.

Originally Posted by sgh
Great trip report as usual. As someone who lived in NYC for 25 years, I would highly recommend the East Side anywhere from 50th street to 80th street. Other areas come and go, but Mid-town East Side and the Upper East Side have all the features that make Manhattan great.
Thank you sgh and for the recommendation. We've decided that we like the vibe of the East Side and in particular the Upper East Side. We'll be back in a couple of weeks for another round and see how we feel and whether we can find something within the budget that feels right.

Originally Posted by zip10001
Must.Try.
Pan-grilled Sole is my favorite fish when I visit France. I thought it was only served at "Le Bernardin" in NYC.
The Jean-Georges Nougatine version was amazing. Would highly recommend.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Great report. Why is Paris not practical?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I do love the style of the Trump hotel suite.

Make sure you buy a place with a spare room. I'll be over as soon as you settle in. Mrs SFO and i can go handbag and shoe shopping. I'll even bring you some Tim Tams and pavlova.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The rest of Sunday in New York

Back in the room, for our "free" FHR breakfast.

Down to the lobby and out the door, we met Chito, our Empire CLS driver for the day and headed out to explore the different neighborhoods on our list, and stop by a few open houses. First stop was a 10:30am appointment just up the street at 25 Central Park West. Nice art deco building.

But OK, this is a lttle small and unexciting.

Then to the Upper West Side. Nice feel, lots of neighborhood restaurants and bars.

Then across Central Park to the Upper East Side and then down to Midtown East...

... and the Sutton Place enclave where we have an appointment tomorrow.

Then back up to E. 68th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue for an open house. OK, this is nice.

Then down to E. 51st Street and 1st Avenue. Nice building, good space and terrific city views.

And a lively, fun looking neighborhood.

Next we headed up to another open house that was advertised as Upper Carnegie Hill. Turned out to be about 12 blocks north in a neighborhood that I'll charitably describe as "scruffy". We passed on even stopping and turned back south on Fifth Avenue, then over to tony Park Avenue.

And down to 20th Street for an amazing late lunch at iconic Gramercy Tavern.

Mrs. SFO777's poussin was incredible.

My pork was exquisite.

What an wonderful and very reasonable meal. In the face of the NYC $15 minimum wage, Gramercy has switched to a no tipping policy. Our prix fix lunch including 3 glasses of wine was only $124 including tax and service.

After lunch, we continued south to take a look at Greenwich, Tribecca and finally Battery Park City. Interesting but not our kind of neighborhoods. As Mrs. SFO777 opined, too many effing millenials. LOL.

Some gorgeous apartments at the Ritz-Carlton residences, but Battery Park City is just not a real neighborhood. Plus you can't walk any restaurants worth visiting.

Time to head back north to the hotel.

We relaxed for a few hours and then headed out for the short walk to Marea, one of the City's best Italian restaurants. And only a 3 minute walk.

Wonderful ambience, great service and exceptional food.

By the time we left around 11:00pm, the bar scene had calmed down.

Last edited by SFO777; May 3, 2017 at 2:26 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Great report. Why is Paris not practical?
We both have to agree. I'm all for it but while she loves Paris, Mrs. SFO777 just thinks Paris is too far away from the kids to be living. She'd be OK with a month or two, but we need a US base first.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I do love the style of the Trump hotel suite.
Make sure you buy a place with a spare room. I'll be over as soon as you settle in. Mrs SFO and i can go handbag and shoe shopping. I'll even bring you some Tim Tams and pavlova.
LOL. Thanks Annalisa12. Will think about it.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Haha I went to SNA this weekend with the +1 motivated by your move to take a quick look at some potential places... Hoping I get my US VISA soon. Any sponsors?! Haha jokes.

I love NYC. But it is far too busy for me(and being only 26 years old lol). Visiting a few times a year is perfect but I can't justify(or afford) the type of place I want out there. I love to host and have small parties so space is a big deal for me.

Good luck SFO777 ! I'm sure with you and Mrs. SFO777 will make the best possible decision knowing that you guys have excellent taste in everything in life
Old May 1, 2017, 8:22 am

Truly, I like this report. As my wife and I are house hunting now, it's good to see what happens in other spots.

You just need an outrageously gay real estate agent and a loosely scripted "crisis" and you have the makings for a nice reality TV show.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What an wonderful and very reasonable meal. In the face of the NYC $15 minimum wage, Gramercy has switched to a no tipping policy.
How was the service? Sounds like a win-win to me, although I hate having to calculate a "fair" tip after meals.

Great trip report so far, and good luck with the house hunting!
Old May 1, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Great report as always! Welcome to my city! I don't have quite the same budget as you but real estate dealings in NYC are generally a PITA. I had only a few weeks to move once my then other half accepted her new job in NY. Moving at short notice is not the way to do NYC renting/purchasing!

Interestingly the food on your JFK-LAX was the same as my evening LAX-JFK in F (4.30pm departure) from a few months ago.
AA Flagship First: LAX-JFK (w/pics)

You can see mine is a completely different presentation! Although a statistical sample of one I found the food in J on JFK-LAX to be better than LAX-JFK in F!
AA Business Class: JFK-LAX (w/pics)

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
How was the service? Sounds like a win-win to me, although I hate having to calculate a "fair" tip after meals
Service is consistently superb there, I eat there every few months or so. All of Danny Meyer's restaurants have switched to no tipping policy last year.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Haha I went to SNA this weekend with the +1 motivated by your move to take a quick look at some potential places... Hoping I get my US VISA soon. Any sponsors?! Haha jokes. I love NYC. But it is far too busy for me(and being only 26 years old lol). Visiting a few times a year is perfect but I can't justify(or afford) the type of place I want out there. I love to host and have small parties so space is a big deal for me.
Good luck SFO777 ! I'm sure with you and Mrs. SFO777 will make the best possible decision knowing that you guys have excellent taste in everything in life
Thanks very much SKYEG. Good luck on your visa and a potential move to SoCal. Just a tad different from Alberta.

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Truly, I like this report. As my wife and I are house hunting now, it's good to see what happens in other spots. You just need an outrageously gay real estate agent and a loosely scripted "crisis" and you have the makings for a nice reality TV show.
LOL. Thanks CHSDOC.

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
How was the service? Sounds like a win-win to me, although I hate having to calculate a "fair" tip after meals. Great trip report so far, and good luck with the house hunting!
Thank you Beltway2A. Service was outstanding. Our server was explaining the background. She mentioned that her pay was down for a month or two, but now she is earning as much if not more than before. In lieu of tips, the entire staff (including kitchen) gets a cut of the revenue. She seemed happy out the change.

Originally Posted by Fraser
Great report as always! Welcome to my city! I don't have quite the same budget as you but real estate dealings in NYC are generally a PITA. I had only a few weeks to move once my then other half accepted her new job in NY. Moving at short notice is not the way to do NYC renting/purchasing!
Interestingly the food on your JFK-LAX was the same as my evening LAX-JFK in F (4.30pm departure) from a few months ago.
AA Flagship First: LAX-JFK (w/pics)
You can see mine is a completely different presentation! Although a statistical sample of one I found the food in J on JFK-LAX to be better than LAX-JFK in F!
AA Business Class: JFK-LAX (w/pics)

Service is consistently superb there, I eat there every few months or so. All of Danny Meyer's restaurants have switched to no tipping policy last year.
Thanks very much Fraser. I just shake my head at how different crews plate and serve meals and at the inconsistency of AA meal quality. Totally agree about Gramercy service. It was excellent. Will definitely have to try some of his other restos.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Again, wonderful photos and such an enjoyable read.
Good luck with the house hunting. Having the same address for 18 years I get nightmares just thinking of packing up - never mind finding a place that I like. I may need to do that in the next year or so, and to another country as well to add to my nerves.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I love this report so much!!! As a born and bred New Yorker, I would love for you to live there! Gramercy Tavern is one of my absolute favorites as well, you're right that lunch is a fantastic deal there!

Haven't been to Marea yet but a friend was there last month and loved it.

Have you been to Del Posto? The pasta is mouth-wateringly divine. I very much encourage you to check that out on your next visit! Also great for a lunch visit and a nice walk on the High Line after, with a stop at the Blue Bottle kiosk for a New Orleans style iced coffee.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Another neat SFO777 trip report. Thanks for sharing!
Old May 1, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: ShebaMiles
SFO777 strikes me as someone for whom the Upper East Side would be a perfect fit. I'm sorry you were subjected to the realtor run-around about "Upper Carnegie Hill", which is just East Harlem; the actual Carnegie Hill is really a very quiet and pretty neighborhood with some beautiful houses on the side streets and an abundance of restaurants-- though not necessarily the Michelin-starred ones you so often frequent!

I have however eaten at Gramercy Tavern a few times, the last pretty recently, though I can't remember what I ate besides a pea soup and (a lot of) the bread. That said, it's nice to see the familiar through your distinct perspective.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SFO777
Will definitely have to try some of his other restos.
His first restaurant Union Square Cafe just reopened after having relocated. Getting excellent reviews. I stopped by shortly before he shut up shop at the original location and half bottles of Krug were $55 ^

He's the same guy behind Shake Shack.
http://www.ushgnyc.com/restaurants/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.