Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class

Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class

Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:11 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
MrsWT73 will be envious of your relocation.

There were more food photos than property photos (laughing).

Best of luck with the relocation and thanks for sharing. ^
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by SFO777
Stunning winter pic DanielW. Thank you.

Thanks NickW. I'm sure they are all worth visiting but by "walk to a restaurant" I meant a block or two.
Mrs. SFO777 is not going to walk 0.5 to 0.8 miles or 8 to 12 blocks in heels.

I live in a city and I won't walk 4-6 blocks for dinner.

Also agreed about DanielW's picture but... where's his TR??? I want to see a TR for everywhere he travels!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gaobest
Wow I definitely didn't think lax to jfk was under 5 hours!
Sudden thought - why didn't you use Mint? :-)
Anyway another thought as I read your check-in pictures... WE NEED MORE PICTURES OF SFO777. Sorry for shouting but...
Finally since you did fly AA on return, will you stop booking them for the rest of 2017? I can understand that you may already have them on upcoming itineraries.
My "bad" experiences on AA and UA are the main factors for avoidance when I book my 2-4 annual trips... but maybe it would differ if I flew more.
Good idea about Mint. In fact, we are going back to NY in a couple of weeks and I just booked Mint on our return flight.

I booked AA this time since the price was right. AA Business Class was only $900 per person vs. $1,239 for Mint. I used Amex Pay with Points which brought the cost down to $0 and 40,500 miles per person. Then I used AA Business Extra upgrade certs to bump us to First. The flight also earned me 9,100 AA miles so the net net cost was only 31,600 miles.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
MrsWT73 will be envious of your relocation.
There were more food photos than property photos (laughing).
Best of luck with the relocation and thanks for sharing. ^
Thank you worldtraveller73. Indeed, more food pics because I have my priorities.
We're not convinced we're moving yet so are going back in a couple of weeks to spend more time and decide. And yes, there will be lots more food pics.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:44 am

Myeh. NYC is one of those nice to visit but wouldn't want to live there places, imo.

SFO777, visit blue states. But live in red states. Lower taxes. Come down and check out Charleston. Hot food scene. If you can survive the summers.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:04 pm
Suspended

I never hear anyone mentioning Boston to relocate to
Taxes are not that bad here, actually.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the view from your hotel!

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip on Virgin America although given it was a short hop from SFO to LAS I didn't get as much food as you did on your journey.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report as usual, SFO777. Looks like you saw some beautiful apartments! Virgin America also looks very nice - it's a shame that product is going to be going away.

All best!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Myeh. NYC is one of those nice to visit but wouldn't want to live there places, imo.

SFO777, visit blue states. But live in red states. Lower taxes. Come down and check out Charleston. Hot food scene. If you can survive the summers.

SFO777 this is good advice; how about a move to where I live, Miami Beach? Miami, is a world class city; being a resident in Florida is financially beneficial, and travel to Europe, the Middle East, South America, is direct!

For your luxury weekends, there is always Key West or Palm Beach & Mar-a-Lago.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:01 pm

You're a Brave man mentioning T***p.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
You're a Brave man mentioning T***p.
A true liberal would never stay at a Trump hotel, so perhaps Florida would be a good fit for them. Easy access to NYC, plus a much warmer winter climate down here!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It's been nearly a year since we moved from Denver, and Mrs. SFO777 has decided that the beautiful but sleepy 'burbs of southern coastal Orange County and its dearth of good restaurants isn't for her. So where to next? LA? No. San Francisco? Nope. Back to Denver? Not yet. Paris? Not practical. So, here we are at LAX Saturday morning heading to New York. We've always loved visiting and thought, what better place for an urban fix and great restaurants. So we decided to check it out and see how it felt and how bad the prices are for a lot less space. Crazy airfares this weekend but I lucked out and was able to find two 25,000 mile Virgin America saver First awards on alaskaair.com. Unfortunately, VX operates from the armpit of LAX, Terminal 3.
Mrs. SFO777 has a mighty short attention span! Best wishes on the potential move to NYC if you go through with it.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Myeh. NYC is one of those nice to visit but wouldn't want to live there places, imo. SFO777, visit blue states. But live in red states. Lower taxes. Come down and check out Charleston. Hot food scene. If you can survive the summers.
Thanks CHSDOC. Been to Charleston and enjoyed it. But no way could we survive the summers. I've lobbied without success for low/no tax red states to no avail.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I never hear anyone mentioning Boston to relocate to Taxes are not that bad here, actually.
Another good idea, but we've hardly spent any time there so it's not on our radar.

Originally Posted by nequine
Wow at the view from your hotel! I thoroughly enjoyed my trip on Virgin America although given it was a short hop from SFO to LAS I didn't get as much food as you did on your journey.
Thanks nequine. I'll miss VX when AS has finishing trashing it.

Originally Posted by 757
Great report as usual, SFO777. Looks like you saw some beautiful apartments! Virgin America also looks very nice - it's a shame that product is going to be going away. All best!
Thank you very much 757. Agree on VX.

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
SFO777 this is good advice; how about a move to where I live, Miami Beach? Miami, is a world class city; being a resident in Florida is financially beneficial, and travel to Europe, the Middle East, South America, is direct! For your luxury weekends, there is always Key West or Palm Beach & Mar-a-Lago.
Another good idea but I know we wouldn't survive the summers there.

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
A true liberal would never stay at a Trump hotel, so perhaps Florida would be a good fit for them. Easy access to NYC, plus a much warmer winter climate down here!
Bingo. We like the four seasons plus month after month of oppressive summer heat and humidity is just not for us.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Mrs. SFO777 has a mighty short attention span! Best wishes on the potential move to NYC if you go through with it.
LOL. How well I know. Thanks TheBOSman.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

There's always Cleveland. Just kidding. The majority of my relatives have moved South; Atlanta and southern Florida. I'm stuck in CLE until retirement. Five more years to go. My plans are to extensively travel the world because the stress of my occupation and travel is the only way I can remain relatively sane. I did live in NYC for one year in the early 1990s. It was an experience.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:11 pm
sgh
Suspended

Programs: AA 2 MM, AA Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Great trip report as usual. As someone who lived in NYC for 25 years, I would highly recommend the East Side anywhere from 50th street to 80th street. Other areas come and go, but Mid-town East Side and the Upper East Side have all the features that make Manhattan great.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Wink French-style Sole

Mrs. SFO777's Roasted Dover Sole was to die for. OMG. With Potatoes with Lemon, Herbs and Brown-Butter.
Must.Try.

Pan-grilled Sole is my favorite fish when I visit France. I thought it was only served at "Le Bernardin" in NYC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.