Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Old May 5, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Great report, JohnRain! It's only been 10 weeks since I was last in Japan but those sushi pictures are enough to get me looking at flights...
Old May 5, 2017, 9:47 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
@Tifosi , Same here! Was in Japan in Jan but now I'm drooling again in the office! This TR should not be read in public settings.

Heading to Philippines/SE Asia in July but now will try to get there via a stopover in Tokyo
Old May 5, 2017, 9:59 am

Terrific report as always.

We were just in Japan in March and one of our guides said he'd rather not guide during the Sakura as it is too crowded.

After our dinner at Dons de la Nature, the chef/owner helped make sure we got into the proper uber. Such nice assistance.

And yes, I think Japan is super-clean. We barely saw a trash can and people just took their own garbage until they found a trash can. If only people were half that tidy here in USA.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Great report, JohnRain! It's only been 10 weeks since I was last in Japan but those sushi pictures are enough to get me looking at flights...
+1
Thanks JohnRain .
Hmmm , 10 weeks .. It ' s not even a week for us !! , but thinking of Kyoto in fall / winter along with Amanemu ..

Serious planning will be while jet lagging in PNW or on Alaska cruise in about 3 weeks ..
Old May 6, 2017, 5:26 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
+1
Thanks JohnRain .
Hmmm , 10 weeks .. It ' s not even a week for us !! , but thinking of Kyoto in fall / winter along with Amanemu ..

Serious planning will be while jet lagging in PNW or on Alaska cruise in about 3 weeks ..
Still getting some very mixed reviews on Amanemu from clients. Seems slightly boring, too.

Decided to skip Nemu for Kyoto instead when visited Aman Tokyo.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
This is an amazing trip report, JohnRain - though I read all of your contributions. Thanks for the great pictures and commentary!
Old May 7, 2017, 3:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
This is an amazing trip report, JohnRain - though I read all of your contributions. Thanks for the great pictures and commentary!
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Still getting some very mixed reviews on Amanemu from clients. Seems slightly boring, too.

Yes , SAtraveller & +1 , waiting patiently for rest of TR

Nemu , the place for relaxing .. Onsen !!
Remember sited in National park like N'oi but not as remote as there is " development " nearby including a golf course .
Will repeat visits combining with Kyoto like last week ' s trip .

Will attempt to post TR ' soon ' .
Old May 8, 2017, 8:07 am

[QUOTE=gaobest;28247911]
Originally Posted by Justin Case

I'm also thinking that any Porsche sold will be fully serviced / inspected prior to the resale from the car rental firm. I don't know how cars get resold in Germany but USA car rental firms often have a resale division. In theory the car is sold in really decent condition.
Not quite sure about this - ...if it's a rental, don't be gentle

How did you like the exhaust? It does come with the extra sports exhaust. Costs another 2000+...

Thanks for this nice report!
Old May 9, 2017, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Thanks for your compliment, Tifosi!
I can SO understand where you're coming from...

@Tifosi , Same here! Was in Japan in Jan but now I'm drooling again in the office! This TR should not be read in public settings.

Heading to Philippines/SE Asia in July but now will try to get there via a stopover in Tokyo
Haha BESVISOR, is there another way to fly to SE Asia than via Tokyo?

Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific report as always.

We were just in Japan in March and one of our guides said he'd rather not guide during the Sakura as it is too crowded.

After our dinner at Dons de la Nature, the chef/owner helped make sure we got into the proper uber. Such nice assistance.

And yes, I think Japan is super-clean. We barely saw a trash can and people just took their own garbage until they found a trash can. If only people were half that tidy here in USA.
Thanks so much, farbster...
Sakura is definitely too crowded but worth it nevertheless IMO.
I used to think that my home country (Switzerland) was clean and civilised, but Japan is on another level. Simply amazing.

+1
Thanks JohnRain .

Haha, thanks FlyerEC! Good luck with the planning...
I do miss Japan as well already.

Sounds like a sensible move, BESVISOR. ^

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Thank you so much for your kind words, SAtraveller, really glad that you like my reports!

Yes , SAtraveller & +1 , waiting patiently for rest of TR

Nemu , the place for relaxing .. Onsen !!
Remember sited in National park like N'oi but not as remote as there is " development " nearby including a golf course .
Will repeat visits combining with Kyoto like last week ' s trip .

Will attempt to post TR ' soon ' .
Thanks for your comment, FlyerEC, the next installment will be online soon. Looking forward to reading your report as well...

[QUOTE=MA330;28283207]
Originally Posted by gaobest

Not quite sure about this - ...if it's a rental, don't be gentle

How did you like the exhaust? It does come with the extra sports exhaust. Costs another 2000€+...

Thanks for this nice report!
I certainly wasn't gentle, MA330, and the exhaust worked overtime as I only drove in S+...
Thanks for your kind comment!

Update: the next installment will be online on Thursday.

Last edited by JohnRain; May 9, 2017 at 1:52 am
Old May 9, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Great TR, as always, JR!

If you have time in Kyoto, dinner at Yazuya Isshinkyo is an authentic treat. Brought there by a Japanese friend/colleague, and it was remarkable.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by JohnRain

Getting comfortable.

Is your intention that your socks match your pants or that your pants match your socks?
Old May 10, 2017, 5:05 am

Another great adventure at the front of the plane, JohnRain!

Looks like you got to enjoy some seriously tasty Japanese cuisine, both above and on the ground. I hope the St Regis Osaka has plenty of welcome surprises for you too.

Looking forward to the next update.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:59 am

St. Regis Osaka is one of my favorite hotels in the world, simply because of the shower! (the service and the view are not bad either) Excited to see your experience!
Old May 11, 2017, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Great TR, as always, JR!

If you have time in Kyoto, dinner at Yazuya Isshinkyo is an authentic treat. Brought there by a Japanese friend/colleague, and it was remarkable.
Thank you very much for your kind words, 747FC!
Unfortunately I'm already back in Europe but I've bookmarked your restaurant suggestion for my next visit.

Originally Posted by Purim
Is your intention that your socks match your pants or that your pants match your socks?
LOL Purim, good question!
I'll give it some thought over the weekend...

Originally Posted by DanielW
Another great adventure at the front of the plane, JohnRain!

Looks like you got to enjoy some seriously tasty Japanese cuisine, both above and on the ground. I hope the St Regis Osaka has plenty of welcome surprises for you too.

Looking forward to the next update.
Thank you very much for your enthusiastic comment, DanielW!
There's (much) more Japanese cuisine coming and yes, the St Regis had a nice surprise in store for us as we celebrated Mrs JohnRain's birthday there...

Originally Posted by jbeans
St. Regis Osaka is one of my favorite hotels in the world, simply because of the shower! (the service and the view are not bad either) Excited to see your experience!
Thanks for your comment jbeans. The St Regis Osaka is a great property indeed, but what was it about the shower that you liked so much?
Old May 11, 2017, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Breakfast at the Horizon Club was always very good, with fresh, high-quality ingredients, attentive service and a calm and cosy atmosphere.

The croissants and breads were made by a Paris-trained baker.

Eggs Royale, one of the culinary highlights of the menu.

The French toast was also very tasty.

Sakura drink.

And here we go for our second day of Sakura, this time at Shinjuku Gyoen Park.

Followed by a stroll through trendy Omotesando with some of the best architecture of the city.

Tough decisions early in the morning.

Bill Clinton's favourite pastry shop.

Random Tokyo impressions.

Quirky Harajuku.

Famous Cat Caf.

There's even a DVD collection in case the cats get bored.

Meow!

Onto the Meiji-Jingu Shrine but it was being renovated. The plan was then to stroll through Yoyogi Park to the Sakura viewing spot but we didn't find it.

Famous Shibuya Crossing.

Matching hairstyles.

Snacking at the Horizon Club.

And dinner at Kyoto Tsuruya at the Peninsula, sister-property of the 3 Michelin star place in Kyoto. Unfortunately it doesn't even deserve one star as the food was nothing special and completely overpriced. The atmosphere on the other hand was rocking as we were the only guests. This one's off the list.

Up Next: A stroll through Midtown, Afternoon Tea at the Aman and dinner at Nobu.

Last edited by JohnRain; May 11, 2017 at 5:13 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.